C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Katech to carry new TIKT C7 Z06 Twin Intercooler System - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Painrace
Is Katech going to offer an in house upgrade? If so, about how much?

Jim
Yes, we will be installing. We have to install the first system on my car to determine the labor hours.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
The following users liked this post:
Painrace (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 11:23 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
There are a couple of different grille designs:

Bloody hell! They both look like they mean business!

This has been an issue for turbo road race cars for years. As soon as you separate the cooling air flow paths of the Coolant and the intake air you make live easier.

If you think about cooling anything you need two things. 1) mass and 2) temperature difference. By removing the cooler for the supercharger you are in effect improving both of the above! You get greater mass as there is less air restriction through the rad AND you get cooler air as it's not ore heated by the HE!

Also the HE now gets it's own load of cool air rather than sharing the air (less mass only with the HE as it's at the front of the cooling pack) with the rad. So it's a win win.

Also these guys did he same thing on the mad ZR1 above and it worked a treat! They could thrash the car all day and never had ECT issues or intake temp problems.

Also with this system you increasing water flow rate through the intercooler system. This is another major hold up on most OEM water to air systems (and was a major issue on the ZR1). If this system really is increasing water flow rate by 30% then that's only going to help!

Some of the ford GT500 guys have found that their stock system was flowing Water soo slow that it was turning to steal inside the intercooler! Obviously this is not an issue (the steam will turn back to water once the system can remove the energy, ie when you let off) it will reduce the efficiency of the intercooler. Not sure if this happens on the C7 but it's pretty interesting.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:16 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Jason,

Do you have a tentative price point yet?

Why so long a wait as essentially the greater part of track season 2016 will be over before this is available?

Bish
Old 02-06-2016, 01:19 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I've been trying to chase this picture down to understand how those side coolers work on the C6. Odd choice to upgrade the intercoolers instead of the radiator system. I understand the radiator is now no longer blocked but I don't think a thicker radiator is sufficient for this generation cars. If the charge air is cooler but the coolant is over 230* timing will be pulled anyway. Does TIKT or Katech have a complementary solution for coolant temperatures? I see the C6 is used on the track but this mod on the C7 strikes me more of a drag racer setup. Nothing wrong with drag racing btw, just looking for solutions for myself.
LG's solution is essentially an upgraded radiator and intercooler, with their I/C still being in front of the radiator. Even so, LG are reporting large decreases in both water and engine oil temps on the A8. It would seem logical that perhaps even lower temps can be achieved by relocating the I/C(s) out from in front of the water radiator.
Bish
Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Wrongo!

Originally Posted by thebishman
LG's solution is essentially an upgraded radiator and intercooler, with their I/C still being in front of the radiator. Even so, LG are reporting large decreases in both water and engine oil temps on the A8. It would seem logical that perhaps even lower temps can be achieved by relocating the I/C(s) out from in front of the water radiator.
Bish

02-01-2016, 12:33 PM #14

Anthony @ LGMotorsports

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Send a message via AIM to Anthony @ LGMotorsports

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliZ51 View Post

Anthony,

Just to understand the stage II portion. You will have two symmetric openings in the bumper to allow air flow to two new coolers. One would be oil cooler and the other cooler is for the supercharge, correct?

Yes there is a cooler on both sides and both sides will have the same vent opening on each side so it looks correct.
Anthony @ LGMotorsports is offline Report Post

Old 02-06-2016, 01:52 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Catch above!

Originally Posted by 05dsom
so how does this set up differ from the LG solution?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by thebishman
Jason,

Do you have a tentative price point yet?

Why so long a wait as essentially the greater part of track season 2016 will be over before this is available?

Bish
I'll wait for the complete product release to announce the price.

It takes time to make new products. This will be out at the start of the 2016 season, according to TIKT at this time.
Painrace (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 02:20 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Who knows! LG is secretive and the project is taking for ever. No PDR data. I saw everyone jumping the gun and saying that LG did it again. Did what exactly? Did anyone test their solution? No disrespect to LG or anyone but nothing is solid there yet. I also don't think it's appropriate to Hijack Ktech thread and make it about LG. I am not pro or against either vendor. I read what everyone has to say and use my common sense. Ktech solution seems promising so good luck with the project and hopefully it will come to life soon. There were other known vendors that promised a lot for Z06 cooling in the past and then went silent. Hopefully it's not the case here.

Last edited by 5thGear; 02-06-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:51 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Exactly!?

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Who knows! LG is secretive and the project is taking for ever. No PDR data. I saw everyone jumping the gun and saying that LG did it again. Did what exactly? Did anyone test their solution? No disrespect to LG or anyone but nothing is solid there yet. I also don't think it's appropriate to Hijack Ktech thread and make it about LG. I am not pro or against either vendor. I read what everyone has to say and use my common sense. Ktech solution seems promising so good luck with the project and hopefully it will come to life soon. There were other known vendors that promised a lot for Z06 cooling in the past and then went silent. Hopefully it's not the case here.
LG is believed and wouldn't be blowing that here. If he wasn't he would be going the Hennessey way real fast!

LG gave real world temperatures.
LG did incorporate the radiator, which, was part of the conversation.
Similar opening placements.....!

Options are good!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 02-06-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

I have been talking to LG and Louis at GSpeed on the LG fix, as I understand it, their kit removes the intercooler from in front of the radiator, and does two smaller ones much like this design. I think the concept is about the same.
GSpeed (02-08-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Bloody hell! They both look like they mean business!

This has been an issue for turbo road race cars for years. As soon as you separate the cooling air flow paths of the Coolant and the intake air you make live easier.

If you think about cooling anything you need two things. 1) mass and 2) temperature difference. By removing the cooler for the supercharger you are in effect improving both of the above! You get greater mass as there is less air restriction through the rad AND you get cooler air as it's not ore heated by the HE!

Also the HE now gets it's own load of cool air rather than sharing the air (less mass only with the HE as it's at the front of the cooling pack) with the rad. So it's a win win.

Also these guys did he same thing on the mad ZR1 above and it worked a treat! They could thrash the car all day and never had ECT issues or intake temp problems.

Also with this system you increasing water flow rate through the intercooler system. This is another major hold up on most OEM water to air systems (and was a major issue on the ZR1). If this system really is increasing water flow rate by 30% then that's only going to help!

Some of the ford GT500 guys have found that their stock system was flowing Water soo slow that it was turning to steal inside the intercooler! Obviously this is not an issue (the steam will turn back to water once the system can remove the energy, ie when you let off) it will reduce the efficiency of the intercooler. Not sure if this happens on the C7 but it's pretty interesting.
I like the bottom one the best!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:58 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

In for updates

Bottom one FWIW. Brought the thread up on the big screen for better viewing, and several people's opinion (4) favor the bottom design.

Last edited by DLC7; 02-07-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 PM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

+1 on the bottom pic
Old 02-07-2016, 04:09 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,189 Likes on 542 Posts

Top flows with the nose better IMO
Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Top... continues with the flow of the headlights, lower looks like something a Lambo designer would do. Appears by 2017 there will be multiple cooling solutions available and tested for the Z06's.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:43 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default It would have to be, I was thinking.

Originally Posted by Operations
I have been talking to LG and Louis at GSpeed on the LG fix, as I understand it, their kit removes the intercooler from in front of the radiator, and does two smaller ones much like this design. I think the concept is about the same.
The side units are smaller (LxW).

Anyway, it is nice to finally see a robust Z06 configuration coming around! Some guns don't shoot right out of the box.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 02-07-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:28 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

I think it would be nice to see the top one with larger openings.

Jason, any pics of the exhaust side of the ducts? Are they dumping in front of the wheel or out the side? It would be nice to see some air speed data in relation to road speed for the new vents / coolers and the rad beofre and after.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech to carry new TIKT C7 Z06 Twin Intercooler System - PICS

Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by chuntington101
I think it would be nice to see the top one with larger openings.

Jason, any pics of the exhaust side of the ducts? Are they dumping in front of the wheel or out the side? It would be nice to see some air speed data in relation to road speed for the new vents / coolers and the rad beofre and after.
I don't have those pictures yet.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I dont race hence I don't need to modify the engine, but I'm digging this front grille.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:06 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I have a few questions regarding the system:
1. First post says there will be revise brake ducts. Where would they fit since the original brake duct inlets seem to be dedicated for the intercooler cores.
2. Are two expansion tanks better than one?
3. Is the increased waterflow from having two pumps lowering the intake charge temperature?

(2) and (3) may be obvious but I'm new to intercooler upgrades.

Quick Reply: Katech to carry new TIKT C7 Z06 Twin Intercooler System - PICS