C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

D3PE C7 Base/Z06 Oil Cooler Brake Duct Development!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:50 PM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default D3PE C7 Base/Z06 Oil Cooler Brake Duct Development!

We would like to take some time to show some of the progress of our development on one of our first products for the C7 base and Z06 Corvette models. We have a long list of cooling products made for many GM platforms which have become the standard on those platforms due to our innovative design and testing along with our out of the box thinking.

Our complete heat exchanger system for the C6 ZR1S:

Link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...velopment.html

Our testing of every possible intercooler brick replacement option for the C6 ZR1, note that there are vendors still selling the aftermarket versions as an upgrade even though they cool worse than OEM!
Link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-testing.html

Our Dual Spal Fan Shroud Kit with pwm fan control for all C6s:

One of our many cooling products for the gen 2 CTSV:

Our first product to design for the C7 base and Z06 models is a upgraded air to oil engine oil cooler. The design goals are as follows:
  • Must be a complete standalone unit, we no longer wanted oil temperature to be maintained by the already stressed engine coolant system.
  • It must have its own dedicated air supply, having an oil cooler in front of all the other cooling items will just put heat from one system into the next, reducing the cooling of the next heat exchanger in line.
  • Installation must not require any cutting or modification of any outside body panels.
  • System must use the proven Setrab oil cooler.

After several different design proposals were made, the optimal placement for the oil cooler was in the brake duct. This provides a perfect front mounted dedicated air supply while removing the output hot air from the rest of the vehicles cooling system! Here's our design progress so far:

Designing of the integrated oil cooler brake duct:

Test fitting the new oil cooler brake duct:

Design of the block adapter:

In house 3D printed block adapters:

Right now we are just waiting for the block adapter components to be ran on the CNC, then we will install and test on a Z06 at the local road race track. We should also be testing another cooling product at the same time which we will be releasing info soon. We really look forward to the future designing new products for the C7 platform!

Last edited by D3PE; 02-15-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:04 PM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by D3PE
We would like to take some time to show some of the progress of our development on one of our first products for the C7 base and Z06 Corvette models. We have a long list of cooling products made for many GM platforms which have become the standard on those platforms due to our innovative design and testing along with our out of the box thinking.

Our complete heat exchanger system for the C6 ZR1S:

Link:

Our testing of every possible intercooler brick replacement option for the C6 ZR1, note that there are vendors still selling the aftermarket versions as an upgrade even though they cool worse than OEM!
Link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-testing.html

Our Dual Spal Fan Shroud Kit with pwm fan control for all C6s:

One of our many cooling products for the gen 2 CTSV:

Our first product to design for the C7 base and Z06 models is a upgraded air to oil engine oil cooler. The design goals are as follows:
  • Must be a complete standalone unit, we no longer wanted oil temperature to be maintained by the already stressed engine coolant system.
  • It must have its own dedicated air supply, having an oil cooler in front of all the other cooling items will just put heat from one system into the next, reducing the cooling of the next heat exchanger in line.
  • Installation must not require any cutting or modification of any outside body panels.
  • System must use the proven Setrab oil cooler.

After several different design proposals were made, the optimal placement for the oil cooler was in the brake duct. This provides a perfect front mounted dedicated air supply while removing the output hot air from the rest of the vehicles cooling system! Here's our design progress so far:

Designing of the integrated oil cooler brake duct:

Test fitting the new oil cooler brake duct:

Design of the block adapter:

In house 3D printed block adapters:

Right now we are just waiting for the block adapter components to be ran on the CNC, then we will install and test on a Z06 at the local road race track. We should also be testing another cooling product at the same time which we will be releasing info soon. We really look forward to the future designing new products for the C7 platform!
Looks great. however, will this design still allow the brakes to cool properly?
Old 02-15-2016, 01:12 PM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

Yes
Old 02-15-2016, 01:20 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Would also like to see oil pressure vs. oil temp data to ensure there is no flow restriction with your new setup. Good work gentlemen.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 PM
-Eric-
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How does this affect brake temperature? Am I going to see largely different temps right to left? Or does this system feature dual coolers, one on either side? I like the idea. I can't wait to see the track results.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:45 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Finally, seeing a solution that attacks the real problem; engine oil temperatures. Hope you include a thermostat control in the adapter circuit to keep the oil temps at minimum hot temperatures.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:47 PM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

Sorry, I forgot to mention we will be offering the option of adding an inline thermostat bypass, will update my post.
The following 2 users liked this post by D3PE:
axr6 (02-15-2016), rsilver (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 01:49 PM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by axr6
Finally, seeing a solution that attacks the real problem; engine oil temperatures. Hope you include a thermostat control in the adapter circuit to keep the oil temps at minimum hot temperatures.
Sorry, I forgot to mention we will be offering the option of adding an inline thermostat bypass.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

"Some meat on this bone"
Old 02-15-2016, 02:19 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

So there are two of these running in parallel?
Old 02-15-2016, 02:20 PM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

No, one on the drivers side so we can leave the other side open for other goodies
Old 02-15-2016, 02:25 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I know you have not tested but what do you expect this will do to the brake cooling ability? I know factory solution, much like what you have proposed here, only gets air blowing in the general direction of the rotor hat. If/when someone creates an actual spindle duct solution, will this oil cooler send heated air to the brakes (assuming a connection could be made between the two?) It does not appear the brake duct bypasses the oil cooler, unless I am missing something.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:29 PM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

I believe there will be no noticeable difference in brake cooling, the temperature delta from the output air of the cooler duct to that brake rotors will be large, but that's why we will be testing before releasing the product.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:01 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

This is an excellent product in theory, and I can't wait to see the real thing especially with data.

I would suggest having the temperature controlled bypass mandatory so that oil temps rise quickly to a set level. Hence emissions won't be affected and 'maybe' GM won't take such a dim view of having the stand alone EOC installed.

Bish
Old 02-15-2016, 04:13 PM
One Curve at a time
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sub..
Old 02-15-2016, 06:27 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Sounds interesting, will be watching for test results.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:32 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Subscribed

Get notified of new replies

To D3PE C7 Base/Z06 Oil Cooler Brake Duct Development!

Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

There is room on these cars for a 3inch duct and hose to run to the brakes if need be. The plastic area to the right and left of the radiator behind the grill works fine. I too have a great concern with oil cooler restrictions with volume and pressures even with a quality unit as listed. Could this be why few co's have jumped on this band wagon?

With that said I hope it all works out and we find a solution keep up the R&D!

Subscribed...
Old 02-15-2016, 07:57 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
There is room on these cars for a 3inch duct and hose to run to the brakes if need be. The plastic area to the right and left of the radiator behind the grill works fine. I too have a great concern with oil cooler restrictions with volume and pressures even with a quality unit as listed. Could this be why few co's have jumped on this band wagon?

Subscribed...
I have often wondered if the oil 'sending unit' from the side of the block has been the rate limiting step, as I bet its not easy to fabricate a new one that potentially includes a secondary air/oil EOC.

Bish
Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24

Subscribed...
To be honest, we are not reinventing the wheel on adding an oil cooler to the engine, what we are doing has been done tons of times on other engines without issues, we are merely adapting it to this engine. What we are reinventing the wheel on is placement, air feed, and packaging. Most companys that have made a product like this provide the adapter, some AN hose, and a cooler, then they leave the rest up to the installer as far as placement and mounting, most times this leaves an oil cooler strapped to a HX or condensor, not really the ideal situation. The Z06 is a well designed vehicle and we intend to make products that match it!

Quick Reply: D3PE C7 Base/Z06 Oil Cooler Brake Duct Development!