C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Callaway package-good, bad and the ugly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 AM
airbornnne1
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Callaway package-good, bad and the ugly?

I am a novice Z06 owner. I have had a few Vettes in the past but only stepped up about a month ago. So if I ask stupid questions, sorry in advance!

Do any of you have the Callaway package on the C7 Z06? I am considering ordering it. The main appeal to me is maintaining Warranty from GM, while still getting 107 extra HP. I had a few questions.

1. Is it worth the cost.

2. do you really need the Callaway exhaust to realize the benefit of the larger Super Charger.

3. Any other information or reviews would be awesome. Thanks
Old 02-18-2016, 09:48 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Just to point out, I'm pretty sure (not positive) the Callaway cars don't have a warranty through GM but through Callaway themselves.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-18-2016 at 10:40 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:05 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I've got one and really enjoy it. My answers to your questions are as follows:

1. Is it worth the cost?

I hate to answer this with a "it depends", but honestly, it depends. It depends on two things. A) your budget, and B) you objectives - i.e. what are the goals of your mods and how do you intend to use the car.

I went with their package because I'm comfortable with positive displacement superchargers, and I wanted their upsized supercharger (2.3 liter v. the stock 1.7) and I wanted their triple intercooler set-up. The reason for this is I plan down the road to add a more aggressive lower puller to further increase boost over the Callaway increased boost level and make even more power. The added displacement of the supercharger, plus their triple intercooler set-up and upgraded H/E system lays a nice groundwork for that. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy it as it is for a while.

So for me - this is nice platform that will be fun to drive as-is for a while, and then will be a great platform to add even more power to.

If you want to simply add power but do so on a budget, then Callaway isn't a good choice for you. For me, the $$ were not an issue and the platform has the architecture I wanted. But this is not the budget approach to power, and there are many other ways to increase power for less coin. Also if your looking to 1000+ hp at the wheels, then this package isn't the right one. You're better off going with a big centrifugal set up (like Procharger) if you want to get to those hp levels.

But if you want a package that substantially improves the stock car, and/or if you want a package that has the benefit of their intercoolers for spinning it up even more down the road and the $ are not an issue, then this is a good way to go.

2. Do you really need the Callaway exhaust to realize the benefit of the larger Super Charger?

No. The exhaust doesn't meaningfully add to the performance. That said, I went with the exhaust, and I have to tell you it is a sweet sounding exhaust. I've had prior Callaway cars and always thought their exhaust was better than stock, but this is an all-new set-up from them on these cars and it rocks (better than their prior versions). I wouldn't have the car without their exhaust; it's that good.

If you decide to go the Callaway route and if you have the M7 transmission, I highly recommend you get their short-throw shifter as well. That is a honey of shifter. If you've got an A8, then that is a non-issue.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-18-2016 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Callaway Chris (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 AM
airbornnne1
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Great info

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I've got one and really enjoy it. My answers to your questions are as follows:

1. Is it worth the cost?

I hate to answer this with a "it depends", but honestly, it depends. It depends on two things. A) your budget, and B) you objectives - i.e. what are the goals of your mods and how do you intend to use the car.

I went with their package because I'm comfortable with positive displacement superchargers, and I wanted their upsized supercharger (2.3 liter v. the stock 1.7) and I wanted their triple intercooler set-up. The reason for this is I plan down the road to add a more aggressive lower puller to further increase boost over the Callaway increased boost level and make even more power. The added displacement of the supercharger, plus their triple intercooler set-up and upgraded H/E system lays a nice groundwork for that. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy it as it is for a while.

So for me - this is nice platform that will be fun to drive as-is for a while, and then will be a great platform to add even more power to.

If you want to simply add power but do so on a budget, then Callaway isn't a good choice for you. For me, the $$ were not an issue and the platform has the architecture I wanted. But this is not the budget approach to power, and there are many other ways to increase power for less coin. Also if your looking to 1000+ hp at the wheels, then this package isn't the right one. You're better off going with a big centrifugal set up (like Procharger) if you want to get to those hp levels.

But if you want a package that substantially improves the stock car, and/or if you want a package that has the benefit of their intercoolers for spinning it up even more down the road and the $ are not an issue, then this is a good way to go.

2. Do you really need the Callaway exhaust to realize the benefit of the larger Super Charger?

No. The exhaust doesn't meaningfully add to the performance. That said, I went with the exhaust, and I have to tell you it is a sweet sounding exhaust. I've had prior Callaway cars and always thought their exhaust was better than stock, but this is an all-new set-up from them on these cars and it rocks (better than their prior versions). I wouldn't have the car without their exhaust; it's that good.

If you decide to go the Callaway route and if you have the M7 transmission, I highly recommend you get their short-throw shifter as well. That is a honey of shifter. If you've got an A8, then that is a non-issue.
Thanks for such a detailed answer! Looks like I won't be skipping out on the exhaust after all!
Old 02-18-2016, 12:11 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Also think about question #1. When buying a Magnacharger or Edelbrock supercharger you are into it for 5-10k depending where bought who installed and additional goodies added on at the time. Resale value is Zero $ and fewer buyers.

The Callaway will give you half your money back and more quality buyer.

Of course this is my opinion only.
The following 2 users liked this post by jaden61:
Mikec7z (04-20-2019), Savoy2001 (04-03-2020)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by airbornnne1
I am a novice Z06 owner. I have had a few Vettes in the past but only stepped up about a month ago. So if I ask stupid questions, sorry in advance!

Do any of you have the Callaway package on the C7 Z06? I am considering ordering it. The main appeal to me is maintaining Warranty from GM, while still getting 107 extra HP. I had a few questions.

1. Is it worth the cost.

2. do you really need the Callaway exhaust to realize the benefit of the larger Super Charger.

I think the Callaway package would be great. Not sure what the exact cost or what it covers.

Some of the things could be extra like the exhaust and shifter.

I put a limit on what I wanted to spend on the car and the options and mods.

Of course now big discounts can be found.

In 2014 and early 2105 MSRP was the rule.

The good would be the 107hp
The bad would be the cost and the travel and down time for the car.
The total cash outlay.

(I was recently called cheap so take that for what is it's worth)
The other route which I have done is add an Intake that looks to be the same as included for the Callaway. 40-45 plus hp

I love the sound of headers with the stock exhaust. So I bought a set of coated 2inch ARH

They wake the car with another 30hp or so and add more TQ under the curve and add a race car feel and huge improvement in sound.

Then you can get them Jethot coated from JETHOT which helps the underhood temps and really is a sweet benefit is they stay like new.

Uncoated headers suck compared.
Headers reduces weight another 20-30 pounds. I will weigh difference soon and find the reduction.
Headers add sounds and power you don't get with just adding an exhaust.
Plus if you go anymore power you will want them them.

Yes I getting a tune as well. I'm at the 16k mark and any warranty lost is very much a non issue.
I should be under 4k total. Maybe not 107hp but a real increase as well.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-18-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:06 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I've seen the Callaway, and it's a bad looking Vette

The Callaway is an aftermarket option and upgrade.

The Callaway is like a Z51, Z06 and Z07; an option to upgrade above all else.

Do you like it?
Do you want it?
Do you need it?
Can you afford it?

You are the one with the wallet. Enjoy
Old 02-18-2016, 02:24 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Callaway certainly pleases certain demographical needs. I personally have no interest in anything they currently offer Corvette. I wish they'd apply some of their road racing expertise and offer some enhancements for the entire C7 lineup but...wishful thinking. At best I think we're going to see a bunch of cooling solutions from several companies and that'll be that.

LG will step up because the owner loves the track. In my opinion, LG is the aftermarket Corvette/trackday brand of the future, as no one even attempts to really compete. As gamers who have played GranTurismo/Forza/Iracing get to income levels that afford cars in this segment, LG will capitalize on its reputation. Callaway serves the older crowd at this stage, and I personally don't see much future in what they're doing...it's not exciting.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:41 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RC000E
Callaway certainly pleases certain demographical needs. I personally have no interest in anything they currently offer Corvette. I wish they'd apply some of their road racing expertise and offer some enhancements for the entire C7 lineup but...wishful thinking. At best I think we're going to see a bunch of cooling solutions from several companies and that'll be that.

LG will step up because the owner loves the track. In my opinion, LG is the aftermarket Corvette/trackday brand of the future, as no one even attempts to really compete. As gamers who have played GranTurismo/Forza/Iracing get to income levels that afford cars in this segment, LG will capitalize on its reputation. Callaway serves the older crowd at this stage, and I personally don't see much future in what they're doing...it's not exciting.

Well, for what it's worth, I'm in my 40s LOL.

I agree with your comments on LG. That shop is definitely a go-to shop for track upgrades. I'd also put Katech in that same category as they do a nice job of supporting the road track community.

Lots of good options out there for folks. Just depends on what you want/what your objectives are.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:56 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RC000E

Not seeing where the "gamers" even enter's in. To get income levels?
Maybe you have been gaming too much. To me it would seem most gamers drive old stuff hand down not much money is made when a lot time is spent gaming. People buying high dollar stuff I would say were not major gamers.

Callaway is exciting and nothing or any car in the price range or till you hit high numbers even compares.
ACR would be munched also. IMO Street or drags toast! I think the Z07 Callaway could beat the ACR on the track as well.
No weaknesses of the stock Z06

If that's your car in the Avatar the Callaway would be more than amazing compared.
It is just a matter of trade off. Do you want to spend.

I'm working almost everyday this year since I'm retiring out next year
(41 years and 7 months is long enough for me) and keeping the income up now will help my retirement pension.

I agree as well LG is great for Corvette.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-18-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:02 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i would look at the LPE upgrade packages, they are listing their stage 3 package on their site now which includes more than a blower upgrade i.e. cam, ported heads, TB and you don't have to cut your hood.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:21 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by K B Vettin
i would look at the LPE upgrade packages, they are listing their stage 3 package on their site now which includes more than a blower upgrade i.e. cam, ported heads, TB and you don't have to cut your hood.
Great time to own a Z06 lots of great option's.
Truly a supercar once you open up the aftermarket.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:48 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Well, for what it's worth, I'm in my 40s LOL.
Old fart.

Oh hang on, I turned 40 last year.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:54 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think the Callaway package would be great. Not sure what the exact cost or what it covers.

Some of the things could be extra like the exhaust and shifter.

I put a limit on what I wanted to spend on the car and the options and mods.

Of course now big discounts can be found.

In 2014 and early 2105 MSRP was the rule.

The good would be the 107hp
The bad would be the cost and the travel and down time for the car.
The total cash outlay.

(I was recently called cheap so take that for what is it's worth)
The other route which I have done is add an Intake that looks to be the same as included for the Callaway. 40-45 plus hp

I love the sound of headers with the stock exhaust. So I bought a set of coated 2inch ARH

They wake the car with another 30hp or so and add more TQ under the curve and add a race car feel and huge improvement in sound.

Then you can get them Jethot coated from JETHOT which helps the underhood temps and really is a sweet benefit is they stay like new.

Uncoated headers suck compared.
Headers reduces weight another 20-30 pounds. I will weigh difference soon and find the reduction.
Headers add sounds and power you don't get with just adding an exhaust.
Plus if you go anymore power you will want them them.

Yes I getting a tune as well. I'm at the 16k mark and any warranty lost is very much a non issue.
I should be under 4k total. Maybe not 107hp but a real increase as well.
Just curious as to what intake it is that you would recommend?
Old 02-18-2016, 03:57 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I like Callaway and really like the package they offer, but I have a big question (well two) that I haven't seen the answer to yet.

What rwhp does their package put out?

Has any fast guys driven it on the track and how did it handle the heat/extra power?
Old 02-18-2016, 04:00 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Old fart.

Oh hang on, I turned 40 last year.

It goes faster the farther you go. Seems like months just fly off the calendar after 40.

One of these days we'll wake up old men. . . .
The following users liked this post:
SurfnSun (02-19-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I'm working almost everyday this year since I'm retiring out next year
(41 years and 7 months is long enough for me) and keeping the income up now will help my retirement pension.
May I suggest moving your pension funds into Halltech stock? Halltech's on the verge of an IPO...I can feel it with all the talk about them here on CF.
Do that, sit back, and coast out the rest of your years.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway package-good, bad and the ugly?

Old 02-18-2016, 04:07 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I like Callaway and really like the package they offer, but I have a big question (well two) that I haven't seen the answer to yet.

What rwhp does their package put out?

Has any fast guys driven it on the track and how did it handle the heat/extra power?

I haven't put mine on a chassis dyno. Don't have one close that I would trust. LG is probably the closest and they're 5 hours away.

I'll run it in the Texas Mile in early April. That'll give a decent assessment of how it is running. Callaway dyno'd SAE at the engine, but how it runs at the strip will show. I've run that event for several years, and have good idea what it takes to run given speeds in various conditions.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Lrn2Swm
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Name:  1 (1).jpg
Views: 4169
Size:  3.87 MB

I know some of you guys hate my wheels but I don't care and.....CALLAWAY!
Old 02-18-2016, 04:53 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Like many things car related, if you like it and have the money then get what you want. For me personally, I don't see a real improvement for the cost. On a side note, why the C7R did not at least come standard with this option I will never know. I don't see the cost benefit in gaining (claimed) .1 seconds in the 0-60 speed or the .4 seconds in the 1/4 for a 20k upgrade. There are far more cost effective ways to go well beyond this but as many have already eluded to, it depends on what you want to do with the vehicle. Again, like I have argued several times before, the car is only as fast as the skill behind the wheel so unless you can really stretch this thing out and push the car to the upper limits of functionality, you really won't see any difference from a regular Z out for an afternoon drive. JMHO

1. The good - more HP
2. The bad - the cost
3. The ugly - cutting a hole right in the middle of that hood....

Quick Reply: Callaway package-good, bad and the ugly?