C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Welcome 2017 - Grand Sport Edition Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 08:19 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts
Default Welcome 2017 - Grand Sport Edition Corvette!

Now before we have you scroll on and enjoy the reveal of the New Grand Sport Edition coming for 2017, I was one of many yesterday that said ” what the heck are they doing” I really thought they were going to add another model to the Corvette line up and something like that we did not need from a retail stand point and my comment to other media sources was, if this Grand Sport was a special edition of some sort - it would work and it be a WIN and it is…..

Ladies and gentleman, please continue for the 2017 Corvette Grand Sport Edition!

2017 Corvette Grand Sport Has Racing Roots
A ‘purist’ model that leverages a half-century legacy of motorsports success

GM RELEASE MARCH 1, 2016

◾Lightweight architecture and track-honed aerodynamics
◾An engine offering an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package
◾Coupe and convertible available this summer in U.S. and fall in Europe
◾Grand Sport Collector Edition available later in model year

GENEVA – With Corvette Racing in its DNA, the all-new 2017 Corvette Grand Sport is a pure expression of the car’s motorsports-bred pedigree. It was introduced today at the Geneva International Motor Show.

Like the 2015 Le Mans-winning Corvette C7.R GTE Pro race car, the new Grand Sport combines a lightweight architecture, a track-honed aerodynamics package, Michelin tires and a naturally aspirated engine.

The 2017 Corvette Grand Sport offers an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability – and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package.

Heritage-inspired design cues and exclusive features acknowledge the historic Grand Sport legacy, established in 1963 to take on the world’s best sports cars. Only five were built before a corporate decision suspending direct motorsports involvement ended the project.

“Racing has been part of Corvette’s essence for more than 50 years and that track experience has helped us build better, more capable cars,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president of Global Product Development and Global Purchasing and Supply Chain. “The global acclaim for the seventh-generation Corvette validates that direct link and the 2017 Grand Sport takes its track-bred technology to a new, exciting threshold.”

The Corvette Grand Sport coupe and convertible go on sale this summer in the U.S. and in the fall in Europe.

No holding back

Engineers adapted the chassis tuning, upgraded cooling systems, and performance technologies of the Corvette Z06 to give the new Grand Sport capability commensurate with its racing-derived history.

“We didn’t hold back with the new Grand Sport,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “For the first time, buyers can equip the Grand Sport with a Z07 performance package – which adds carbon-ceramic brakes, Michelin Sport Cup 2 summer tires, and carbon-fiber aero package that delivers true downforce.”

The result is a potent track car. In fact, the Grand Sport with the Z07 package is less than one second off the track record for the previous-generation Corvette ZR1 on the road course at GM’s Milford Proving Ground.

Content highlights for Grand Sport include:
◾Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires: 285/30ZR19 (front) and 335/25ZR20 (rear)
◾Specific Grand Sport wheel design: 19×10 inches (front) and 20×12 inches (rear)
◾Brembo brake system with (355 mm) 14-inch rotors and six-piston calipers in front and (340 mm) 13.4 inch rotors and four-piston calipers in the rear
◾Standard magnetic ride control, specific stabilizer bars and unique springs
◾Standard electronic limited-slip differential
◾LT1 V8 engine rated at (343 kW) 460 hp, with dry-sump oiling system and active exhaust
◾Seven-speed manual transmission with active rev match and available eight-speed paddle-shift automatic with specific performance calibration
◾Available Z07 package adds carbon ceramic-matrix brakes and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Cup tires.

In addition to track-focused aero elements, the Grand Sport also features specific front fender inserts, a Z06-style grille and wider rear fenders – a distinctive design package that gives the car a track-ready attitude.

Grand Sport models are offered with the Stingray’s full exterior and interior color palette. An available Heritage package includes hash-mark fender graphics in six colors, with the hash-mark detail carried onto the interior’s brushed aluminum trim. Full-length stripes are also offered.

“The choices are almost endless,” said Harlan Charles, Corvette product marketing manager. “The packages take personalization to an unprecedented level, enabling customers to create their own Corvette Grand Sport statement like no other.”

Grand Sport Collector Edition

The Grand Sport Collector Edition features an exclusive Watkins Glen Gray Metallic exterior with Tension Blue hash-mark graphics, satin black full-length stripes, black wheels and a unique Tension Blue full leather and suede-wrapped interior.

The Tension Blue color is a bold, modern take on the hue historically associated with the Grand Sport. Inside, a three-dimensional representation of an original Grand Sport race car is embossed in the headrests and that shape is also used on an instrument panel plaque that carries a unique build sequence number.

So I guess we get to see what the New Grey looks like huh?! Not sure about the 2013 style wheel

WE HAVE NO PRICING YET FROM GM, LOOK FOR A FALL ARRIVAL AS A FAIR ESTIMATE RIGHT NOW, WE WILL CONTINUE TO KEEP YOU UPDATED, BUT IF INTERESTED IN GETTING ONE OF THESE WHEN THEY DO COME AVAIALBLE TO ORDER, PLEASE EMAIL ME BELOW AND THANK-YOU FOR THE ADVANCE CONSIDERATION!

Thank-you, Rick

rickconti@coughlincars.com
Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Just imagine if they put the LS7 in here.... Beautiful car and if it had an LS7 in it... I think lots of Z06 owners will be grand sport owners!!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice. Like the new color and the side coves
Old 03-01-2016, 08:47 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

The press release mentions:
Engineers adapted the chassis tuning, upgraded cooling systems, and performance technologies of the Corvette Z06 to give the new Grand Sport capability commensurate with its racing-derived history.
(emphasis mine)

But the components break down doesn't seem to list any cooling upgrades? Anyone know if the GMPP secondary radiator is included, or other modifications done?
Old 03-01-2016, 08:47 AM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

Being honest - for those who want to mod away from the 1.7L SC - this platform makes a lot of sense.

I'm staying stock blower with bolt ons - so I'm still happy with my choice - but depending on the price especially - this is the perfect modding platform.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 AM
hifi875
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

C6 spider wheels look good
Old 03-01-2016, 08:51 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Not a fan of the embossed car on the seats. I think just a simple GS would have been more dignified without looking gimmicky. I am surprised they took a page out of their previous playbook by pimping out a Grand Sport with pieces from the Z06. But then again it is the same guys running the show. I also don't understand why they compare it to the old ZR1. Show how it competes to the current Z06 instead. Overall I am pretty lukewarm on this one.
The following users liked this post:
Dabigsnake (03-03-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:53 AM
1stc6z51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Just imagine if they put the LS7 in here.... Beautiful car and if it had an LS7 in it... I think lots of Z06 owners will be grand sport owners!!
I agree. Count me in.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:11 AM
T-Z06-J
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, this was the first and is the last time I ever buy a Z06!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

I assume the GS would replace the Z51. This could explain why the 2017 Z06 production is delayed until September. They need Z06 parts to build GS's. This should really boost Corvette sales.
I wonder if there will be any updates for the 2017 Z06.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:28 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Probably. Pay attention to the show in Bowling Green at the end of April. That's where we'll probably learn about those.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (03-05-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:29 AM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

I assume the GS would replace the Z51. This could explain why the 2017 Z06 production is delayed until September. They need Z06 parts to build GS's. This should really boost Corvette sales.
Road and Track's article claims that the GS will be separate from the Z51 and not replace it (unlike the C6 generation).
Old 03-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Z06BHM
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Grand Sport Collector Edition with the Watkins Glen Gray Metallic exterior...what a great looking car!

No doubt using all the Z06 extra cooling, GM hoping to make this Z07 the all day track car the Z06/Z07 should have been?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:58 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

This will expand the appeal overseas with the LT1 engine. 30 something MPG where there is $10 a gallon regular fuel will alone sell this car
Old 03-01-2016, 11:33 AM
vtknight
Drifting

Another point is drag. The car will be heavier with the aero, wider body, brakes and suspension - drag will definitely be an issue in my opinion. Without the additional power to overcome the drag - the effect is likely geometric. I believe there will be a significant shift in where the car slows down (down from ~130 MPH for the Z06 to maybe as low as 100-110 MPH in the GS)...

I look forward to hearing how the Z07 GS performs.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:46 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
Another point is drag. The car will be heavier with the aero, wider body, brakes and suspension - drag will definitely be an issue in my opinion. Without the additional power to overcome the drag - the effect is likely geometric. I believe there will be a significant shift in where the car slows down (down from ~130 MPH for the Z06 to maybe as low as 100-110 MPH in the GS)...

I look forward to hearing how the Z07 GS performs.
In this case you can add a supercharger.....wait then it becomes Z06
Old 03-01-2016, 11:58 AM
vtknight
Drifting

In this case you can add a supercharger.....wait then it becomes Z06
Yes. As per my first post. This would be a great car for modders who know they want a larger SC or a PC...

Get notified of new replies

To Welcome 2017 - Grand Sport Edition Corvette!

Old 03-01-2016, 12:07 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Told myself "wait a year on the c7 z06. See how it does and how it's reviewed."
Wanted to get one soon so I went and looked at some 2 days ago. Now this news. My first thought was "dammit... There will probably be a LS7 Grand sport"...
Old 03-01-2016, 12:25 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by cyi1
My first thought was "dammit... There will probably be a LS7 Grand sport"...
I wouldn't count on that.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
And a lucky few would have large holes in the sides of their blocks at somewhere between 1 and 20k miles.

Quick Reply: Welcome 2017 - Grand Sport Edition Corvette!