C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 four wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:12 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Z06 four wheel alignment

Hey guys, can anyone confirm what is needed to properly align (4-wheel) my 2015 Z06. I replaced all 4 tires and lowered the car before putting it in storage last fall. My local dealer has an alignment rack but I was told that they needed a rear caster gauge adapter? Can anyone confirm. I want this done correctly so I don't chew through my new tires.

Thanks!
John

Last edited by 1QUICK Z; 03-03-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:17 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Hey guys, can anyone confirm what is needed to properly align (4-wheel) my 2015 Z06. I replaced all 4 tires and lowered the car before putting it in storage last fall. My local dealer has an alignment rack but I was told that they needed a rear caster gauge adapter? Can anyone confirm. I want this done correctly so I don't chew through my new tires.

Thanks!
John
After I lowered my Z07, I had it laser aligned at a local speed shop. There are specs that are needed, but I cant seem to find them. Try searching under my user name.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:19 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by JackTripper
After I lowered my Z07, I had it laser aligned at a local speed shop. There are specs that are needed, but I cant seem to find them. Try searching under my user name.

Ok, thanks. I have a speed shop that can do it as well (laser), but they are over an hour away. I was hoping my local dealer could do it but they didn't know anything about this caster gauge adapter. Trying to determine if it's really needed?
Old 03-03-2016, 03:21 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, thanks. I have a speed shop that can do it as well (laser), but they are over an hour away. I was hoping my local dealer could do it but they didn't know anything about this caster gauge adapter. Trying to determine if it's really needed?
I would. Remember, the Corvette is an amazing car and its builtin its own factory, however, as far as service, Chevy techs are used to working on Volt's, Tahoe's and Malibu's. Bottom-line, its worth the drive.
The following users liked this post:
Mad Dog 24 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 03:23 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Try this

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ent-specs.html
Old 03-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Thanks!
John
Yes, you need a shop that has the caster measurement adapter bracket and a digital angle meter that can be calibrated. This doesn't come with an alignment machine. There are only 3 GM cars that have this requirement: The Pontiac Solstice, its Saturn sister and the C7 Corvette. The equipment isn't cheap. I just talked to the Corvette guy at my local dealership and he confirmed they do not have the equipment to measure rear caster and management isn't keen on spending the money to service one car. None of the other Corvette owners are concerned since I am the only one that tracks the car and will push it to the point the rear caster becomes an issue.

As far as having a speed shop do the job there is no reason to think they are any better than somebody at the dealership. They all use the same machines and it doesn't take an ace to do an alignment. People can do an alignment in their garage quite easily with a few basic tools. The fancy machines just make it easier to do. The problem I have with the C7 is I can't set the rear caster since besides needing the bracket (I already have a digital angle gauge) I need a $12K alignment rack that lets me get under the car to see the gauge and to make adjustments while reading the gauge.

The alignment skill comes about when the driver comes in and says the car is doing thus and so in turns or when getting on or off throttle and the tech changes the alignment to fix that problem. Unless the speed shop is heavy into road racing the alignment guy will be just as much in the dark as the guy at the dealership.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-03-2016 at 03:36 PM.
JackTripper (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 03:39 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Thanks guys. To be clear, I'm not looking for a "track" alignment. Just the alignment that it came from the factory. Want these new tires to last as long as possible.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:45 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

You want the FE6/FE7 row

Last edited by -HAIRBALL-; 03-03-2016 at 06:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by -HAIRBALL-:
JackTripper (03-10-2016), PLRX (03-10-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 07:26 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

It may not take an ace to do an alignment but I have had enough wall jobs that I don't trust most dealers. They stick on gauges look and if it close they send you out never touching anything and your 2000 dollar tires are toast.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 03-03-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:31 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You definitely want to find a shop/dealer that is familiar with them and has the digital angle gauge in their tool inventory. Any adjustments for camber or toe will likely effect the rear caster and it will need to be set back in spec.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

We bought the bracket to measure rear caster and a Long Acre digital angle gauge late last year. After getting it one could make there own its not rocket science! I think it was $100 for the bracket alone from the same co GM buys it from. The digital gauge GM recommends is was over priced go long acre or use an app on your smart phone.

I think the rear caster in our Z07 is not right a bit twitchy in the rear. We will find out find out when we do the track alignment soon for a Glen track day coming up. It doesn't say it in the recommendations above but you want the rear set at 0 caster.

Hint.. always ask for a before and after print out of your alignment. Post it here and you will get many many opinions, for sure.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:10 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL-

You want the FE6/FE7 row
Cool, thx!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
We bought the bracket to measure rear caster and a Long Acre digital angle gauge late last year. After getting it one could make there own its not rocket science! I think it was $100 for the bracket alone from the same co GM buys it from. The digital gauge GM recommends is was over priced go long acre or use an app on your smart phone.

I think the rear caster in our Z07 is not right a bit twitchy in the rear. We will find out find out when we do the track alignment soon for a Glen track day coming up. It doesn't say it in the recommendations above but you want the rear set at 0 caster.

Hint.. always ask for a before and after print out of your alignment. Post it here and you will get many many opinions, for sure.
Thanks!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I just had my car aligned by TPC (same folks making the DSC suspension bits). I had the dealer do a track alignment just before hand so the camber was pretty close but the front caster was at 6.8 and the LR was .5 degree leaned back when we started.

We corrected the caster and set the rear caster so that both of the rear shocks are leaned 1.0 degree back and the car has very different feel. Frankly I was surprised at how much different the car felt in street driving. The turn in is much quicker and the back end is much more controllable when you hang the rear out - even on cold MPSS tires.

I have a new appreciation for what a difference a quality alignment can make.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 03-03-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Painrace (03-28-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I just had my car aligned by TPC (same folks making the DSC suspension bits). I had the dealer do a track alignment just before hand so the camber was pretty close but the front caster was at 6.8 and the LR was .5 degree leaned back when we started.

We corrected the caster and set the rear caster so that both of the rear shocks are leaned 1.0 degree back and the car has very different feel. Frankly I was surprised at how much different the car felt in street driving. The turn in is much quicker and the back end is much more controllable when you hang the rear out - even on cold MPSS tires.

I have a new appreciation for what a difference a quality alignment can make.
Has TPC put that much rear caster in others cars with positive feedback? Do you still have the stock dampers or the DSC units?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
It may not take an ace to do an alignment but I have had enough wall jobs that I don't trust most dealers. They stick on gauges look and if it close they send you out never touching anything and your 2000 dollar tires are toast.
z51vett
Doug
The specs are wide and almost anything is in the green on the machine. If you want them to emphasize something you need to talk to them and specify what you want. I have never had a problem with a dealer alignment tech. Most of them let me stand right there and watch and they always provide a before and after sheet.

Bill
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Has TPC put that much rear caster in others cars with positive feedback? Do you still have the stock dampers or the DSC units?
I'm running the DSC shocks and controller. Mike is currently running the stock shocks and the DSC controller.

He measured the toe curve with the shock neutral, forward a bit and backward and found the toe curve was best with a bit of a rearward cant - it wasn't what we expected. He also test drove his car in the various configurations and found the rearward cant works best.

Personally, I wasn't expecting to be able to tell much difference but it was very pronounced. I'll see how it feels on track next weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 four wheel alignment

Old 03-04-2016, 01:47 AM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

I'm running the DSC shocks and controller. Mike is currently running the stock shocks and the DSC controller.

He measured the toe curve with the shock neutral, forward a bit and backward and found the toe curve was best with a bit of a rearward cant - it wasn't what we expected. He also test drove his car in the various configurations and found the rearward cant works best.

Personally, I wasn't expecting to be able to tell much difference but it was very pronounced. I'll see how it feels on track next weekend.
Just to make sure that I don't misunderstand, by "rearward cant" do you mean that the bottom of the shock is moved forward from a neutral 0.0 degree caster setting or rearward from a 0.0 degree setting? Thanks.

Ernie
Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ErnieD
Just to make sure that I don't misunderstand, by "rearward cant" do you mean that the bottom of the shock is moved forward from a neutral 0.0 degree caster setting or rearward from a 0.0 degree setting? Thanks.

Ernie
Yes, the bottom of the shock is forward of the top of the shock . The angle is less than 1 degree.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:36 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Yes, the bottom of the shock is forward of the top of the shock . The angle is less than 1 degree.
Thanks. Looking forward to your on-track assessment.

Ernie

Quick Reply: Z06 four wheel alignment