C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DeWitts Radiator & EOC install

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Maybe an ignorant question but does the front bumper have to come off for the EOC install?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt

The new EOC will mount directly over the TOC (on A8) and uses the stock hardware. Same location for M7. The cooler is a dual pass, 38mm custom DeWitts heat exchanger and it mounts on the same angle as the radiator and SC exchanger. The connection are #10 AN male and the hoses are stainless steel braided lines to the oil adapter. It's all coming together nicely.

It will be nice when we see some before and after data log charts of the engine coolant and oil temps with this mod. Looks to me like the air entering the bumper inlet would just bypass the add-on cooler as it will take the path of least resistance, since this core has no shrouding, and the air will just go around the cooler.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Maybe an ignorant question but does the front bumper have to come off for the EOC install?
Nope! We will create complete installation instructions but the grill and bumper stay put.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:05 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by descartesfool
It will be nice when we see some before and after data log charts of the engine coolant and oil temps with this mod. Looks to me like the air entering the bumper inlet would just bypass the add-on cooler as it will take the path of least resistance, since this core has no shrouding, and the air will just go around the cooler.
What you are thinking is true. Most of the air does go around the EOC and that is by design. This is to insure the SC exchanger receives cool air and HP is not effected. The size, thickness, mounting angle, and face inlet pressure were all carefully selected by our team. We will report net results after a few hard races are completed.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Subscribed for a z51 car.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

This car is also getting a new cool air heat exchanger. This pic shows all three components
The following users liked this post:
racerx8 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Tom,

I certainly hope that you get the level of orders on these products that you deserve for the amount of effort you have put into this project given the vocal but admittedly small market for these products. (Relative to the entire C7 market)

P.S. Had one of your radiators in my C6. Probably didn't need it, but it was a quality product.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:57 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

This car is also getting a new cool air heat exchanger. This pic shows all three components
Looking forward to the group buy pricing on this whole enchilada!

Last edited by CGZO6; 03-10-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:33 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Awesome!

The intercooler too:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tercooler.html

Yes sir, everything but the kitchen sink toward a difficult problem. Good Luck and that should work!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-10-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:21 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

What you are thinking is true. Most of the air does go around the EOC and that is by design. This is to insure the SC exchanger receives cool air and HP is not effected. The size, thickness, mounting angle, and face inlet pressure were all carefully selected by our team. We will report net results after a few hard races are completed.

Tom, Thats some nice looking aluminum from the welds to the machining!
So If i understand this, the EOC will not really be "stacked" horizontally over the TOC, it will be mounted above it on an angle to allow cool air to get to the radiator and the SC heat exchanger.
Looking forward to testing!!!

I doubt the market will be limited to the 'Vocal" Few because they are not that few. If that were the case, Bondurant, Spring Mountian and so many of the track day cars would NOT have the problem.
Best of luck on this!

Last edited by rsilver; 03-10-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:55 PM
srtz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

when is this ready for purchase?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:44 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by srtz06
when is this ready for purchase?
As soon as we test the car. We should wrap up the install by Monday. Then we are going to release the car back to the owner to push it. I will have the the parts and pricing loaded on the website by 4-17. You will be able to place orders then.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tom@Dewitt:
fleming23 (03-10-2016), foreverfuelie (03-10-2016), Gomer (03-10-2016), Jus Cruisin (03-12-2016), Painrace (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:34 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

As soon as we test the car. We should wrap up the install by Monday. Then we are going to release the car back to the owner to push it. I will have the the parts and pricing loaded on the website by 4-17. You will be able to place orders then.
Tom quick ?:

I'm assuming that the OEM EOC 'brick' is replaced by an adapter with oil lines to your (far superior) EOC.

In the adapter is there a 'thermostat' that allows the oil to get to a set temperature before the oil is routed to your EOC, or is the oil path always open?

Bish
Old 03-10-2016, 09:00 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by thebishman
Tom quick ?:

I'm assuming that the OEM EOC 'brick' is replaced by an adapter with oil lines to your (far superior) EOC.

In the adapter is there a 'thermostat' that allows the oil to get to a set temperature before the oil is routed to your EOC, or is the oil path always open?

Bish
You are correct. An adapter replaces the big water/oil block and ss hoses run to the EOC. The oil flows constantly, no thermostat. This is the same concept used on C6 ZO6 and Z51's from GM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tom@Dewitt:
Gomer (03-10-2016), Painrace (03-10-2016), racerx8 (03-10-2016), thebishman (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:52 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The C6Z06 really has a problem running too cool in the colder months due to this design. Even driving in 5th on the highway instead of 6th, the oil temps remained too low on my car.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:38 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Even driving in 5th on the highway instead of 6th, the oil temps remained too low on my car.
Define "too low" and how did it apply? Remember that one of Mobil-1's advantages is that it not only works well when it's very hot, but also when it's very cold. In fact that's how Mobil-1's advertising campaign started waaaaaaaay back in the day. So as long as you're using the right oil it probably isn't an issue.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Will we know that it actually works on track to lower temps? The first radiator you guys put out did not seem to provide much cooling improvement, and then you went to version 2. So will you actually test this EOC and prove it works and provide data before releasing it?

Get notified of new replies

To DeWitts Radiator & EOC install

Old 03-11-2016, 12:20 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Will we know that it actually works on track to lower temps? The first radiator you guys put out did not seem to provide much cooling improvement, and then you went to version 2. So will you actually test this EOC and prove it works and provide data before releasing it?
For a legitimate test. You need an ambient to be close to 90F, minimum 20 to 25 minute sessions, known road course / lap time (to verify its an advance level driver), and some PDR or data logger. Not sure how else you can test the upgrade.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:02 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AliZ51
For a legitimate test. You need an ambient to be close to 90F, minimum 20 to 25 minute sessions, known road course / lap time (to verify its an advance level driver), and some PDR or data logger. Not sure how else you can test the upgrade.

That's exactly what one would hope for. It's easy to think that some brand new shiny aluminum parts are going to make a great improvement, but it's not the shine that counts. It's proven results. In my business, my small group of engineers and scientists test stuff constantly, and our success is measured by how well we actually perform, not by how well we claim to perform.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:04 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

That's exactly what one would hope for. It's easy to think that some brand new shiny aluminum parts are going to make a great improvement, but it's not the shine that counts. It's proven results. In my business, my small group of engineers and scientists test stuff constantly, and our success is measured by how well we actually perform, not by how well we claim to perform.
IMHO you're being a little overly critical Claude. As you know, we had to go through this 'trial and error' issue with our '09 GT-Rs that we couldn't run on track for extended periods of time due to engine and transmission overheating issues. You may remember that I was one of the first to have the Willall transmission oil cooler installed; results were marginal. I then had great success with the HKS tranny cooler as you yourself did. I also had marginal luck with a larger EOC in the OEM position, (sorry, I forgot the brand). You ultimately solved the engine oil overheating issue by fabricating a secondary EOC; again thinking 'outside the OEM box' as it were.

From our experience above, I feel very confident that the DeWitt solution to the engine oil overheating in the C7 Z06 will work, and well. Why? Well because it takes one poorly engineered heatsink, the OEM water radiator, that is failing to cool both the water and engine oil on a road course in high ambient temps, and replaces it with two (excellent?) heat sinks, which are the Gen 2 water radiator and a dedicated EOC.

DeWitt is not HKS, and to expect them to take the same car with the same driver out on a road course before and after installation of their cooling solution in the same conditions is a bit far fetched. An excellent idea IF DeWitt's had the resources of HKS, but surely they don't.

I for one would be perfectly happy finding out how well their solution works later on this year, although I might do it in stages; i.e. Gen 2 radiator first, then the new EOC. My thoughts on their total solution will be guided by other accounts from Z06 owners using the DeWitt products, plus other cooling solutions like that from DBS if it's available when I'm ready to upgrade.

Wish

Quick Reply: DeWitts Radiator & EOC install