C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The mods needed to beat the ACR

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The mods needed to beat the ACR

Just wondering, what mods would you need to at least tie or beat(probably just tie, that thing is fast as hell) the 2016 viper acr.

The main thing the acr has on the z07 is downforce and weight. Now I know 200lbs less is a decent amount, but it can't be what's allowing the acr to be several seconds faster around a track can it? So the other thing is downforce. Can downforce really make that big of a difference? I mean the viper is beating million dollar hypercars that beat the viper in many categories especially acceleration. The only big advantage the acr has on those cars is downforce. Downforce can really close the gap that much? I mean these cars have like 300hp more.

So what would it take for the z07 to beat the acr? Equal downforce? If so are their any companies that make anything similar to what the acr has?

Popular Reply

04-11-2016, 07:38 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

The Hate is strong here. Let's see. Objective data shows track pace of ACR. So let's use subjective a like personal belief about how good looking the car is. Of non sequitur like how much better another car is in a non track environment. Or the old standbys like denigrating the owners or brand.

There is a very long and well developed thread on Rennlist in the GT3 and RS subforum about ACR that is mature and pretty objective. Demographic difference is two fold. Those folks actually use their cars on track quite a lot and they are not threatened at Valet stand or track by other equipment.

By and large Corvette owners seem to have the largest percentage of insecure, immature, prejudiced folks, at least the vocal ones on this forum. I've owned many Corvettes and will again. And if my use was mostly street I agree the Z is clearly the better car. And I respect the technology, looks and value of the Z. But wow, some owners or fanboys are way more than loyal and biased. You make the marque look bad. I think to myself when I read some posts that "those are not my people." They are not really even car guys.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Stripeknight
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

There is probably only one mod needed to beat the acr, in the referenced Motor Trend article you are thinking of the the acr that beat a manual equipped Z06 by 3 seconds if I remember on the track, pick yourself up an Auto equipped Z06 and you will probably beat the acr.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-13-2016 at 02:38 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Rguy271
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

The Z06 is faster top speed than ACR. :P

But yes, downforce, tires, and suspension make a huge difference. The ACR is the no compromise attempt by dodge to make a barely street legal track car.

Chevrolet produced car with a lot of compromises to make it more streetable, even with the Z07 package.

Last edited by Rguy271; 03-10-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 PM
Stripeknight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rguy271
The Z06 is faster top speed than ACR. :P

But yes, downforce, tires, and suspension make a huge difference. The ACR is the no compromise attempt by dodge to make a barely street legal track car.

Chevrolet produced car with a lot of compromises to make it more streetable, even with the Z07 package.
Well if you want to put A GOD AWFUL LOOKING MASSIVE WING on a Z06, you will beat the ACR.

For the rest of us we love our Z06's just the way they are
The following 2 users liked this post by Stripeknight:
Lenman59 (03-15-2016), ZenicaPA (03-18-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

With the down force you don't slow down as much in the corners which means you save a lot of time. You carry more speed through the corner and start down the next straight at several mph more than the non down force car. Just like in drag racing when you start the drag race down the straight at a higher speed you will pull away from your opponent. Your opponent may have a higher top end at the end of the straight but it doesn't last long enough to catch you. 1 mph = about 1.5 ft per second. If you are 3 mph faster through the corner and then start down the straight 3 mph faster and the two cars accelerate at the same rate you will gain 4.5 ft/sec through the corners and all the way down the straight. If you can lap a 3 mile track 3 mph faster than the other guy you will gain right around 3 seconds of time.

Bill
Old 03-11-2016, 12:20 AM
Stripeknight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
With the down force you don't slow down as much in the corners which means you save a lot of time. You carry more speed through the corner and start down the next straight at several mph more than the non down force car. Just like in drag racing when you start the drag race down the straight at a higher speed you will pull away from your opponent. Your opponent may have a higher top end at the end of the straight but it doesn't last long enough to catch you. 1 mph = about 1.5 ft per second. If you are 3 mph faster through the corner and then start down the straight 3 mph faster and the two cars accelerate at the same rate you will gain 4.5 ft/sec through the corners and all the way down the straight. If you can lap a 3 mile track 3 mph faster than the other guy you will gain right around 3 seconds of time.

Bill
Ok give us the overall summary there Bill, Who wins if the Z06 with an automatic transmission and that massive acr wing. Who wins then.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 AM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

^depends on who's driving
The following users liked this post:
DaveN007 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Stripeknight
Ok give us the overall summary there Bill, Who wins if the Z06 with an automatic transmission and that massive acr wing. Who wins then.
Viper easily. The auto will overheat quickly. It's not intended for track use. Even if it didn't overheat there is no chance it would make a significant improvement.
Also that "god awful ugly wing" is functional aero. You're either insecure or purely into car parades. It looks fantastic to me because I appreciate function and actually driving a car for it's intended purpose.

Op- put on slicks and more aggressive aero. As long as the car stays cool and doesnt reduce power you will be competitive to the ACR.

Last edited by 64drvr; 03-11-2016 at 06:11 AM.
\Boost Monkey/ (04-08-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There is probably only one mod needed to beat the acr, in the referenced Motor Trend article you are thinking of the the acr that beat a manual equipped Z06 by 3 seconds if I remember on the track, pick yourself up an Auto equipped Z06 and you will probably beat the acr.
LOL....alternate reality.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Well this is plainly stupid, seeing as guys tracking the Z06 with the manual have been running faster laps than those with autos.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by theboom
Just wondering, what mods would you need to at least tie or beat(probably just tie, that thing is fast as hell) the 2016 viper acr.

The main thing the acr has on the z07 is downforce and weight. Now I know 200lbs less is a decent amount, but it can't be what's allowing the acr to be several seconds faster around a track can it? So the other thing is downforce. Can downforce really make that big of a difference? I mean the viper is beating million dollar hypercars that beat the viper in many categories especially acceleration. The only big advantage the acr has on those cars is downforce. Downforce can really close the gap that much? I mean these cars have like 300hp more.

So what would it take for the z07 to beat the acr? Equal downforce? If so are their any companies that make anything similar to what the acr has?

aero and tires is most of it. The tires are the biggest unknown. The sport cup 2 have a wear rating of 180 and the Kumo tires that are on the Viper have a wear rating of 20. There are no standards on their ratings so it is hard to judge by that but a wear rating of 20 is Crazy low so I suspect those tires are much stickier. And I know from autocrossing that tires make an enormous difference and can save you a huge amount of time. And definitely the aerodynamics on that car can make a huge savings in time so I think between those two that is 90% or more of the difference. It will be interesting to see how the two cars compare at an autocross event because the aero will probably not be much of a factor and if both cars are on hoosiers and assuming equal driver skill I'm guessing the times will be really close

Last edited by TripleBlack99; 03-11-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:53 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,161 Likes on 533 Posts

Do you have a race with an ACR coming up?
The following 3 users liked this post by TRANS DAMM:
2014C7 (03-11-2016), NemesisC5 (04-08-2016), phantasms (03-12-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
Do you have a race with an ACR coming up?

I just spit up coffee! LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by 2014C7:
NemesisC5 (04-08-2016), TRANS DAMM (03-11-2016), ZenicaPA (03-18-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 01:10 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

I'm not an expert but I'd say this:

1. Put the Kumho's on the Z07
2. Add adjustable Coil Overs
3. Put a fairly large adjustable rear wing on it, and maybe a bigger front splitter.
4. Add the secondary radiator.
5. Tune it.

I'd say that would get you very close. The ACR is extremely impressive on track. We kow it's not any faster from a dig or in a straight line...so it's mostly a grip/downforce issue.

Maybe take some weight out...lighter wheels, seats, battery etc...

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 03-11-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Been working on this myself...

For me tires really helped, also added a rear wing helped a whole lot,
After all that I could do just as well if not better then the ACR except in high G turns
With the ACR's very large air splitter the Vipers front tires stay pressed firmly in to the track more so then the Z. This also helps the ACR to brake a bit later especially in long high speed sections.
WaFp (03-25-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 02:01 PM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mags put the TA slightly behind the Z06 on the track, the ACR faster. So just look at the changes they made from TA to ACR and do the same.

To address downforce/drag, a deeper splitter, remove the wickerbill (or 1LZ wicker) and put on a wing. Might want to find a way to release pressure from inside the wheel wells too. Oh, and lower it as far as it will go for lower center of gravity and less air under the car.

To address the weight, take out the radio, speaker and carpeting. Lighter seats or removing AC are also options.

To address tires, must use at least the Sport Cups, a slick would be best.

Secondary radiator and oil cooling is probably necessary.

Last edited by rbarta; 03-11-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:53 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Or buy an ACR...
The following 3 users liked this post by ck9887:
cam30era (03-13-2016), rbarta (03-11-2016), WaFp (03-25-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To The mods needed to beat the ACR

Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I think your out of the loop since GM tests them and says the M7 is faster for the track
Old 03-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Mine is a A8, really its only advantage (though short lived) over the M7 is its ability to shift very fast, and anticipate the proper gear for optimum performance. Many agree letting the car do this the car will over heat more quickly, ( I found to be true). Putting over heating to the side, any advantage the A8 may have, cannot be overcome the a ACR's aero advantage, especially the longer and higher speed tracks where turns can reach triple digits.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:55 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ck9887
Or buy an ACR...
Exactly what I was gonna say...

Quick Reply: The mods needed to beat the ACR