C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2016 Z06 paint nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 01:52 PM
FloridaobGM
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Z06 paint nightmare

Hi,
Our 2016 Z06 Corvette Corvette Racing Yellow GC6 with only 400 miles on it had minor damage on the front fascia so the dealers body shop repaired and painted using the OEM formula but the color was 5 shades from OK it was darker yellow. They repainted the front end 4-5 times again it's off, their paint lacks the OEM iridescent GC6 paint. Does the factory start with a white base and then light yellow coats to achieve the color? Is the problem that the dealer uses a solvent base instead of water base OEM colors, can't this color and process be duplicated?
Someone at Corvette Production facility please look into this.
Our dream of owning the best Corvette is turning into a nightmare.
We have purchased 9 brand new C5, C6 and now 3 Z51 and 1 2016 Z06 Corvette with paint issues.
Loyal Customer since 2004,
John and Wilma O'Brien
Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I hate repaints. Especially color blending onto other body panels. I would look for other options such as to airbrush flames, scallops, fades or something different.
So sorry for your nightmare . Hadn't seen anything I like yet though.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jaden61; 03-13-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:05 PM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaobGM
Hi,
Our 2016 Z06 Corvette Corvette Racing Yellow GC6 with only 400 miles on it had minor damage on the front fascia so the dealers body shop repaired and painted using the OEM formula but the color was 5 shades from OK it was darker yellow. They repainted the front end 4-5 times again it's off, their paint lacks the OEM iridescent GC6 paint. Does the factory start with a white base and then light yellow coats to achieve the color? Is the problem that the dealer uses a solvent base instead of water base OEM colors, can't this color and process be duplicated?
We have purchased 9 brand new C5, C6 and now 3 Z51 and 1 2016 Z06 Corvette with paint issues.
John and Wilma O'Brien
If it is a couple shades darker, right off the bat I'm thinking they are using the 2015 velocity yellow, not the 2016 race yellow.
The following users liked this post:
jaden61 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 04:21 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I was hoping they were smarter than that, but.....
Old 03-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Hi,
John and Wilma O'Brien
John sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a little experience here my company repairs \ paints over 1000 per year and many high end cars. First the factory's do not supply the paint for 98% of cars. It is purchased aftermarket from auto paint supply companies like PPG, Dupont\ Axalta etc. Your problem most likely has no effect on your cars paint manufacture other than last I heard they were being sprayed with Axalta.

Most shops mix there own color whether water or solvent. If the shop you are using does not stop there. They will the not have the ability to custom tint the color or use a color camera with their system. If the shop did not check the paint code and used the wrong color drive away as fast as you can (with your car) and find another shop!

Yellow is a very hard transparent color to cover properly. They may be getting what we call bleed through from the primer or sealer and changing the color side tone or head on look. They should of sprayed test sheets to get the color dialed in and not painted the cover until they nailed it, period! What a waste time and product. With that said I would demand a new oem front cover DO NOT EXCEPT THAT COVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. With that many mills of paint it will chip from stones like you have never seen before and most likely crack too.

The fix.... we would of blended the color into the front fenders and hood. Which means simply spraying some color in progressive stages on the leading edges going back then full panel clear coat. Before this can happen they must get the color at least 90& close The human eye will usually not pick up a 10% variance in color. Its not a water or solvent issue but I would suggest trying a different paint brand. Some brands we find are missing a key toner or pearl therefore will never get it close. In our area shops without insurance contracts or deals seem to do better repairs. The non contracted hourly paid shops business is based on their quality repairs for repeat business (us). The contracted shops are feed work from the insurance companies and many times paid flat rate. The faster the tech gets it done the more money he or she makes.

If you were close to Syracuse NY I would be happy to get it done. I hope this educated you some so you get a proper repair in the end as you both deserve. These cars are worth the trouble
The following users liked this post:
ZimC6 (03-14-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Oakmtnbody
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with most of that reply especially the part where you find an Independent non- Insurance DRP Shop to do the repairs. I worked for a GM dealer for over 15 years before starting my shop 16 years ago and what you need to understand is Dealers are in business to sell cars and rarely invest more than what's required in either service or body shop. Do not accept the bumper that has been painted multiple times, period. I will never blend into fenders, hoods or quarters to match any bumper cover, you are just taking your problem further into the car and try to explain that to a buyer when the time comes. Yellow is a very tough color but if you get to a shop that uses the best paint and materials they will have access to tech department of their supplier if the painter has issues and it can be done. Mad dog is correct, the first impact to that cover will spider web all over and flex additive will not help with that much material already on that cover. On Yellow it's all about ground coat, correct variant and coats to cover. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Small consolation, but my Velocity Yellow C6 Z06 didn't match itself! The hood and fenders were different shades of yellow. I don't know how that's possible on a new car, so maybe they sprayed the CF hood separately?

Conversely I had a door repainted on a '69 Camaro in light blue and you can't tell, it's perfect. I think the eyes are pretty sensitive to the yellow.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Tenchi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Small consolation, but my Velocity Yellow C6 Z06 didn't match itself! The hood and fenders were different shades of yellow. I don't know how that's possible on a new car, so maybe they sprayed the CF hood separately?

Conversely I had a door repainted on a '69 Camaro in light blue and you can't tell, it's perfect. I think the eyes are pretty sensitive to the yellow.
I believe that's due to the paint against two different substances: carbon fiber vs. the composite material.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:36 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Loyal Customer since 2004
9 Corvettes over the past 12 years with paint issues tells me, you really loves Corvettes, have bad eyes, or are a glutton for paint issue punishment.

Hope GM makes it right.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:11 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
9 Corvettes over the past 12 years with paint issues tells me, you really loves Corvettes, have bad eyes, or are a glutton for paint issue punishment.

Hope GM makes it right.
He did not say all his Corvettes had paint problems. Read it again.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 03-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

To the OP, contact Tim @ Burkes Corvette in Winter Park FL. He can match your paint. Period
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM
FloridaobGM
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC

Hope GM makes it right.
And a 2016 Z06 with Paint Issues. All others were fine!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:19 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Not an excuse but Yellow is a very hard color to match. Like someone said, you'll never panel paint yellow without a difference in color.
Blending it is the only way to get it satisfactory. IMHO

Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Not an excuse but Yellow is a very hard color to match. Like someone said, you'll never panel paint yellow without a difference in color.
Blending it is the only way to get it satisfactory. IMHO

I believe the painted roofs are done at a supplier and not at the factory. Apparently they are not having a problem with paint matching or people would be complaining.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

And a 2016 Z06 with Paint Issues. All others were fine!
I thought the "paint issue" is because of damage to the front of the car and the dealer having trouble matching the OEM finish/color.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Z06 paint nightmare

Quick Reply: 2016 Z06 paint nightmare