C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2nd Hellcat I bumped in to...C7 Z FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:43 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
It's slower in the quarter than the Z. It's officially 11.2 vs 10.95 on stock tires. Chrysler released a 10.85 on drag radials, but then you have to compare to a Z with drag radials.

I think it's awesome Dodge builds that thing. But I don't envy it, except I'd like it motor in my truck maybe.
I should have written the hellcat was BUILT/DESIGNED to be the king of the 1/4 - and its pretty dang close when it comes to mass produced factory cars
Old 05-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Teri9672
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well... Hubby just got his plates in for the new Hellcat. The Z in my daily driver
(and our last name is Lane)

smartass..............
The following 2 users liked this post by Teri9672:
Is2scooby (05-02-2016), svtkeith (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Teri9672
well... Hubby just got his plates in for the new Hellcat. The Z in my daily driver

smartass..............

You got to admit he had that planed........Congrats both wonderful cars....
Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Teri9672

smartass..............
lol that's badass
Old 05-02-2016, 09:05 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Come on, The hellcat with only 57 more horse and 900 lbs heavier should never give a Z06 any sweat. Roll racing is B/S, run the damn hellcats from a dig and always kick there pig heavy *** in the 1/4 mile.
High speed roll racing smooths out the weight difference and the Z06 aero slows the car at high MPH giving the fat cat the advantage.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
Come on, The hellcat with only 57 more horse and 900 lbs heavier should never give a Z06 any sweat. Roll racing is B/S, run the damn hellcats from a dig and always kick there pig heavy *** in the 1/4 mile.
High speed roll racing smooths out the weight difference and the Z06 aero slows the car at high MPH giving the fat cat the advantage.
Wow ...
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Realistically if we're talking crank HP the Hellcat has more than 57hp advantage - it is underrated from the factory whereas the C7Z's seem to be right where they should when dynoed.

They have a TQ advantage too.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

I posted my REAL LIFE experiences racing against a hellcat, these were in real cars, not playstation, Xbox, YouTube , in YouTube case(with the exception of a few) the races are a joke)
Again anyone in the oakbrook IL area who wants to boogie with a hellcat, pm me, those cars are very close, the driver and the jump makes all the difference .

If people want to set up a drag day at Byron or us41 let me know as well, I've done many CF dragday events at Byron , know the owner, and can have trophys so made for winners of any contest that we make up.... Best 1/4 stock, modded, highest trap etc.... Anything we want, now who wants to come out and race for real.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 05-03-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Motor Trend got... 671.64 HP and 606.39 TQ to the rear wheels in their Hellcat test......

I know of people who have gotten even higher numbers.

I think it's safe to say it's underrated.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:02 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
Motor Trend got... 671.64 HP and 606.39 TQ to the rear wheels in their Hellcat test......

I know of people who have gotten even higher numbers.

I think it's safe to say it's underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BZOcxQQC2M
No, it is not, because Dodge uses J1349. That's accurate.

Just by saying you've seen people get X and "more than X" shows that the numbers you're getting from chassis dynos are variable and therefore not accurate.

J1349 is so specific that you should be able to ship the same engine from Denver to Anchorage and get the same numbers. Most chassis dyno operators can't get the same number from the same car on two different days.

Everyone claims their favorite cars are underrated, but it's really not possible to get away with it for the last 5-10 years. That's why the LS7 was 505 and not 500. They couldn't underrated it to an even 500.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Just by saying you've seen people get X and "more than X" shows that the numbers you're getting from chassis dynos are variable and therefore not accurate.

J1349 is so specific that you should be able to ship the same engine from Denver to Anchorage and get the same numbers. Most chassis dyno operators can't get the same number from the same car on two different days.

Everyone claims their favorite cars are underrated, but it's really not possible to get away with it for the last 5-10 years. That's why the LS7 was 505 and not 500. They couldn't underrated it to an even 500.
But that wouldn't explain why a C7 Z06 dynos 100+ HP less to the rear wheels than a Hellcat.

There is "theoretically" only a 57 HP diff at the crank.

I would think that due to the Z06 carbon fiber drive shaft and 1000 pounds less mass that there would be... even less difference... at the rear wheels, due to a more efficient drivetrain.

Can you clear this up for me?

I have both cars so I have no dog in this fight.

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 05-03-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:55 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by srtz06
ok so accourding to you...lets take 2 formula 1 cars (which have the least drag vs any other car) lets compare 1 with with all the wings and all the other adjustable stuff it has and set it to least amount of downforce or remove it completly vs the the other formula 1 car which has remind untouched and still retains the same amount of downforce and both lets assume have almost identical drag....according to you both cars should be equally fast in a straight line? ......

i think you need to pick up that book and read it to me you may have a few things wrongs...id like you to explain how thats possible?

even if 1000lbs of downforce doesn't exactly translate to 1000lbs heavier, its putting 1000lbs of pressure or force towards the ground (creating greater friction)...so how does that no effect the speed?

also lets compare the viper acr to a viper ta...both stock the ta is faster in a straight line (freeway racing) both have very similar drag..nothing thats drastically different..but both have every different downforce lbs....

you just don't make sense bother...

Acceleration = Force divided by mass. Dynamic pressure caused by aero treatment on an automobile, formula one or otherwise is not mass.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:59 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Many Hellcats seem to only be seeing a 7-8% loss on the dyno compared with the typical 15% of the Z06's...

So how would that be explained.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

I'll be honest, this is a tough argument to have because where a chassis dyno disagrees with my preconceived notion, I'm going to assume the chassis dyno is wrong.

Let's push the envelope a little and say the Dodge only has 12% drivetrain loss whereas that Z06 has 18%. I doubt it's that different, but let's try it.

The Z06, with 650, will dyno at 533, whereas the Dodge will dyno at 622, almost your hundred horsepower difference. I don't think that's the reality, but it shows how we could wind up with those numbers being so far apart.

We're talking about some big raw numbers here, so if your chassis dyno operator chooses a different correct factor or density altitude or otherwise monkeys with the weather station, for example, 15% of 707 is over 100 horsepower already. Get two tests a couple of points in the opposite direction and the discrepancies add up fast.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Instead of skewing the dyno #s with drivetrain efficiency, the Hellcat is definitely underrated where the Corvette dyno's where it should SAE certified. The hellcats typically dyno higher rwhp than the 707 crank horse would indicate. Doing the horse per lb math puts the hellcat very close to the 662 HP GT500. The hellcat ET's are better than the GT500. From the beginning, The hellcats typically run better than they should because they are underated the Z06 is where it should be, never better because they are not.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:15 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Ithe Hellcat is definitely underrated where the Corvette dyno's where it should SAE certified.
People keep saying it like its possible, but no one can answer how they passed the J1349 standard while lying about the rating.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Instead of skewing the dyno #s with drivetrain efficiency, the Hellcat is definitely underrated where the Corvette dyno's where it should SAE certified. The hellcats typically dyno higher rwhp than the 707 crank horse would indicate. Doing the horse per lb math puts the hellcat very close to the 662 HP GT500. The hellcat ET's are better than the GT500. From the beginning, The hellcats typically run better than they should because they are underated the Z06 is where it should be, never better because they are not.
6-speed HC and a 6-speed GT500 are pretty damn close. The A8 is the big difference.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd Hellcat I bumped in to...C7 Z FTW!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

People keep saying it like its possible, but no one can answer how they passed the J1349 standard while lying about the rating.
All I can tell you is one of the SRT engineers stated they "certified" the 392 Hemi engine in a very hot and humid room.

That would skew the #'s for sure, and that engine was also an "over performer".

These engineers are smart people....They know how to get around things.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll be honest, this is a tough argument to have because where a chassis dyno disagrees with my preconceived notion, I'm going to assume the chassis dyno is wrong.

Let's push the envelope a little and say the Dodge only has 12% drivetrain loss whereas that Z06 has 18%. I doubt it's that different, but let's try it.

The Z06, with 650, will dyno at 533, whereas the Dodge will dyno at 622, almost your hundred horsepower difference. I don't think that's the reality, but it shows how we could wind up with those numbers being so far apart.

We're talking about some big raw numbers here, so if your chassis dyno operator chooses a different correct factor or density altitude or otherwise monkeys with the weather station, for example, 15% of 707 is over 100 horsepower already. Get two tests a couple of points in the opposite direction and the discrepancies add up fast.
There is no doubt that there are many factors that can be played with to get a skewed dyno number... But we have been consistently seeing the hellcats dyno high, and the Z06's dyno right where they should. Leads me to believe the cars are actually making more power opposed to people skewing their dynos.

Last dyno night I was at, a hellcat with paper tags put down 660 whp, which would mean only a 7% drivetrain loss from the factory rating. Same night, same dyno, my car dyno'd right where it should have leading me to believe that the dyno wasn't the reason for such a high number on the hellcat...
Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Snorman
6-speed HC and a 6-speed GT500 are pretty damn close. The A8 is the big difference.
S.
I agree with this.

Both of these 6 speed beasts will only perform if you know what you are doing......Not easy to tame....but very fast in the right hands.

Quick Reply: 2nd Hellcat I bumped in to...C7 Z FTW!