C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Do the OEM side skirts have a profile underneath???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Scott_in_FL
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Do the OEM side skirts have a profile underneath???

Looking at the ACS side skirts (Z06 style) and notice that there is no profile underneath. In other words, the outside edge along the length of the skirt does not roll completely underneath and back toward the vehicle to form an airfoil shape for the skirt. It drops off on the side but then ends right there, which leaves the underneath area open.

This creates the illusion of a fully profiled skirt, but it seems like the underneath half is missing. Is the GM part like this? I know the McLaren, Ferrari, and other skirts certainly are not. It seems a bit "poseur" and not something that a genuine racecar would have. Call me odd, but I'm a bit of a stickler for stuff like this.

I could have sworn that I felt up a Z07 at an auto show and the skirt was fully profiled underneath.

Was I wrong?

Are the other aftermarket side skirts like the ACS skirt, or does someone offer a fully profiled skirt?

Last edited by Scott_in_FL; 03-22-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

No. To perform its function it doesn't need to be. That would be just wasting money on product that isn't required.

Bill
Old 03-22-2016, 01:10 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

No underside on the Carravaggio stuff.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:28 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The OEM part on my Z07 has a lip that just points to the ground. At least it is a finish sanded lip, smooth and not jagged.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:44 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_in_FL
Looking at the ACS side skirts (Z06 style) and notice that there is no profile underneath. In other words, the outside edge along the length of the skirt does not roll completely underneath and back toward the vehicle to form an airfoil shape for the skirt. It drops off on the side but then ends right there, which leaves the underneath area open.

This creates the illusion of a fully profiled skirt, but it seems like the underneath half is missing. Is the GM part like this? I know the McLaren, Ferrari, and other skirts certainly are not. It seems a bit "poseur" and not something that a genuine racecar would have. Call me odd, but I'm a bit of a stickler for stuff like this.

I could have sworn that I felt up a Z07 at an auto show and the skirt was fully profiled underneath.

Was I wrong?

Are the other aftermarket side skirts like the ACS skirt, or does someone offer a fully profiled skirt?
When you hear 'Skirts" maybe your thinking of a hot women in a skirt?
They certainly have a "profile" underneath. But you can't feel up there
for it!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Scott_in_FL
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
No. To perform its function it doesn't need to be. That would be just wasting money on product that isn't required.

Bill
I suppose that is correct as the downforce is created by the higher pressure air over the top of the spoiler (the side skirt in this example).

It also appears that the GM part is open on the bottom as well. Okay, that solves that issue. I guess there is nothing to worry about. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

The ACS rocker is designed just like the OEM GM rocker.

Get notified of new replies

To Do the OEM side skirts have a profile underneath???

Quick Reply: Do the OEM side skirts have a profile underneath???