C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Some constructive criticism for Bowling Green...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 AM
StreetLegalH2R
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Some constructive criticism for Bowling Green...

So I'm watching these 'How its made; Supercars' shows. They're a little low on technical information but still fairly engaging. Its nice to see the clean, well-lit, surgical precision with which these types of cars are made. McLaren is like an operating theater, Morgan has that old world charm, Porsche is a computer nerdvana, Teslas facility is pristine and perfectly laid out...but when you get to the Corvette, the factory looks like a prison work release program.

Everyone else has a dress code, or at bare minimum company shirts. McLaren doesn't even hire anyone who is overweight. GM looks like a victim of union opression; everyone there was obese, morbidly obese, grotesquely obese, covered in tattoos, most of the men were wearing gold chains and sleeveless shirts, the women were working on cars wearing long stick-on fingernails and jewelry, nobody was looking at what they were doing and the few that were looked completely disinterested. It looked like a bath salts party. The entire facility looked like a set from the Warriors; it was poorly lit, dank, dirty, gross and I swear I even saw graffiti on one line.

What really kinda upset me the most was Tesla's factory. It was an old GM plant he bought and refurbished. That place was nice and all it took was some white paint, some lightbulbs and somebody who gave a sh*t. The boss at the Bowling Green plant couldn't even convice his employees not to dress like hoodlums the day the Science Channel was filming. They couldn't hand out some clean Corvette polo shirts just for the 10 people appearing on camera. Hey fellas, this is going to exist forever, how about combing your hair and putting on a clean shirt with sleeves just for today? Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Z06 but a large part of the reason I hesitated buying one for a year was that show. If they care that little about themselves and their work environment, how much could they possibly care about what they're doing? It should've been the moment GM shows that they're as world class as the car they're building; instead it was an embarrassment that gets repeated on Science, Velocity and BBC America at least twice a week.
The following 7 users liked this post by StreetLegalH2R:
2cnd Chance (04-07-2016), Fastmikefree (04-11-2016), flby55 (04-07-2016), Forujames (04-06-2016), promocop (04-06-2016), sagertat (04-15-2016), superjet802 (04-07-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

04-06-2016, 11:09 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by StreetLegalH2R
Hey fellas, this is going to exist forever, how about combing your hair and putting on a clean shirt with sleeves just for today? Nope.
Ahhhh the elitists. They're precisely the people we don't need in the Corvette community.

Go visit the BG plant. Take a tour and talk to the people that are doing the work. If you still have that elitist attitude afterward, then I'd recommend avoiding the Corvette. Or if you have one already: sell it.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:58 AM
JDC PDX
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

You will also pay a significant premium for a McLaren or Porsche that is not equal to the performance gap between their cars and ours.

So heavy people with tattoos have no right to be in the workforce? Good to know.
The following 5 users liked this post by JDC PDX:
C7 x 2 (04-06-2016), Detoxx03 (04-07-2016), PLRX (04-06-2016), truth.b (04-07-2016), yur2slo (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:09 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Hey fellas, this is going to exist forever, how about combing your hair and putting on a clean shirt with sleeves just for today? Nope.
Ahhhh the elitists. They're precisely the people we don't need in the Corvette community.

Go visit the BG plant. Take a tour and talk to the people that are doing the work. If you still have that elitist attitude afterward, then I'd recommend avoiding the Corvette. Or if you have one already: sell it.
The following 9 users liked this post by jvp:
185kts (04-06-2016), CandyRed77 (04-07-2016), Detoxx03 (04-07-2016), JDC PDX (04-06-2016), JWingo (04-09-2016), OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016), PLRX (04-06-2016), robertbruce (04-06-2016), truth.b (04-07-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM
T-Z06-J
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Because someone dresses different than you it automatically means that "they care little about themselves?!?"

Prejudice and elitist! Who gives a ****?!? We can buy a car with $250k+ performance and $500k looks for $70k.
The following 4 users liked this post by T-Z06-J:
JDC PDX (04-06-2016), JWingo (04-09-2016), OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016), PLRX (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

So I'm watching these 'How its made; Supercars' shows. They're a little low on technical information but still fairly engaging. Its nice to see the clean, well-lit, surgical precision with which these types of cars are made. McLaren is like an operating theater, Morgan has that old world charm, Porsche is a computer nerdvana, Teslas facility is pristine and perfectly laid out...but when you get to the Corvette, the factory looks like a prison work release program.

Everyone else has a dress code, or at bare minimum company shirts. McLaren doesn't even hire anyone who is overweight. GM looks like a victim of union opression; everyone there was obese, morbidly obese, grotesquely obese, covered in tattoos, most of the men were wearing gold chains and sleeveless shirts, the women were working on cars wearing long stick-on fingernails and jewelry, nobody was looking at what they were doing and the few that were looked completely disinterested. It looked like a bath salts party. The entire facility looked like a set from the Warriors; it was poorly lit, dank, dirty, gross and I swear I even saw graffiti on one line.

What really kinda upset me the most was Tesla's factory. It was an old GM plant he bought and refurbished. That place was nice and all it took was some white paint, some lightbulbs and somebody who gave a sh*t. The boss at the Bowling Green plant couldn't even convice his employees not to dress like hoodlums the day the Science Channel was filming. They couldn't hand out some clean Corvette polo shirts just for the 10 people appearing on camera. Hey fellas, this is going to exist forever, how about combing your hair and putting on a clean shirt with sleeves just for today? Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Z06 but a large part of the reason I hesitated buying one for a year was that show. If they care that little about themselves and their work environment, how much could they possibly care about what they're doing? It should've been the moment GM shows that they're as world class as the car they're building; instead it was an embarrassment that gets repeated on Science, Velocity and BBC America at least twice a week.

So we need pretty people building our supercars.

Such 1st world problems.

You should see where your food comes from...then you wouldn't care who is building our cars.

Go away - great people are building our Corvettes,
D.

Last edited by ZR-1DUDE; 04-06-2016 at 11:13 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ZR-1DUDE:
JDC PDX (04-06-2016), JWingo (04-09-2016), Kvettetrk (04-08-2016), OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 AM
matt_lowry123
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Hahahahahahaha that's funny. I'm going to assume you've never worked in unskilled labor before
The following 2 users liked this post by matt_lowry123:
OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016), PLRX (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:22 AM
0Brent@StasekChevy
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Absolutely, they are salt of the earth type of folks, I had the privilege to tour the plant a few years ago and honestly I wouldn't want anyone else working on America's greatest sports car.

The following 7 users liked this post by Brent@StasekChevy:
CandyRed77 (04-07-2016), JDC PDX (04-06-2016), JWingo (04-09-2016), OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016), plasboy (04-06-2016), PLRX (04-06-2016), robertbruce (04-06-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 AM
funx600
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

You think those Hoodlums are
a "sight to behold"...

Wait until you get the opportunity
to see some of the Union members!
The following users liked this post:
StreetLegalH2R (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:27 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Make sure everyone wears a uniform where you work. Make sure everyone has a haircut, short fingernails, looks anemic, no tattoos, no jewelry, and if they try to Unionize, shoot em.

Last edited by robertbruce; 04-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by robertbruce:
OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016), PLRX (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:29 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

FWIW when I visited the plant in 05 to pick up my 06Z06 there was a guy leaning on the yellow bumper of a car on the line, smoking a cigarette, and ashing into the unfinished bodiless part of the car. That **** actually happened.

I had a private tour of the McLaren line a few months back. While that's nice and all I agree we shouldn't be expecting nor needing that. I don't want to pay $300k for a Z06.

My C7Z was built like a rock, by Americans, and I wouldn't change it for a thing.....aaaaand hopefully the smoking policy has changed in the last ten years.

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 04-06-2016 at 11:30 AM.
VictorBarron (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:32 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

When I did the museum delivery in 2003, the factory tour was the highlight. Everyone was excited to show me their job and how they built the corvette. Guys were showing me how they were doing things and it was a lot of fun.

Most of the folks take pride in what they are making there. I also took the time to tell them how much I appreciated them building such a sweet car.
The following 2 users liked this post by spinkick:
OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016), speedlink (04-13-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:39 AM
StreetLegalH2R
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you're missing the point - how hard is it to look presentable and clean up your work area if you're going to be on TV? Charlie Sheen is a dirtbag but he still puts on a nice shirt and combs his hair when he's gonna do an interview. The Bowling Green plant and its employees are a total embarassment. The Z06 and ZR1 were 100K+ cars, not some cheap sh*t Malibu. If Tesla can do it, why can't GM? Porsche makes tired, cheap, overpriced, broken garbage but at least they have some self-respect.

Uniforms. Combs. Maybe a bath. Cover up the gang tats. Take off the weed hat. There's a TV crew in here today and you represent our company. Thats all I'm saying. No matter how smart I am, I can't walk into BMW or IBM for that matter with a tattoo of my kid on my neck and expext to be hired. I get that union rules dictate any dirtbag can do anything they want...but just how about not having that particular guy be the face of GM and Corvette on the Science Channel? I'm sure they're awesome people (some of 'em). Salt of the earth and great at what they do. Good on them for making a great car - but;

Doesn't cost anything to hand out some shirts. Light bulbs are cheap. White paint is practically free. Doesn't mean they have to charge 250k for a car - just means they have to care.

Last edited by StreetLegalH2R; 04-06-2016 at 11:42 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by StreetLegalH2R:
2cnd Chance (04-07-2016), 67*427 (04-07-2016), flby55 (04-07-2016), NiteriderFRC (04-10-2016), superjet802 (04-07-2016), VetterFlyer (04-06-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
FWIW when I visited the plant in 05 to pick up my 06Z06 there was a guy leaning on the yellow bumper of a car on the line, smoking a cigarette, and ashing into the unfinished bodiless part of the car. That **** actually happened.

I had a private tour of the McLaren line a few months back. While that's nice and all I agree we shouldn't be expecting nor needing that. I don't want to pay $300k for a Z06.

My C7Z was built like a rock, by Americans, and I wouldn't change it for a thing.....aaaaand hopefully the smoking policy has changed in the last ten years.

Best,
Gene
Pollutants in the wrong place can screw up a manufacturing process. However, it has been decades since anybody dared to smoke in a spray painting environment. At least since the first guy tried it and exploded the place likely killing himself and several others. The area where the guy you saw smoking was probably a non hazardous area so he was permitted to smoke because it was unlikely the ash from the cigarette was going to harm the car. However, they probably don't allow it now because the smoke from it was killing the guy smoking and his coworkers next to him.

Bill
Old 04-06-2016, 11:50 AM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

I think you're missing the point - how hard is it to look presentable and clean up your work area if you're going to be on TV? Charlie Sheen is a dirtbag but he still puts on a nice shirt and combs his hair when he's gonna do an interview. The Bowling Green plant and its employees are a total embarassment. The Z06 and ZR1 were 100K+ cars, not some cheap sh*t Malibu. If Tesla can do it, why can't GM? Porsche makes tired, cheap, overpriced, broken garbage but at least they have some self-respect.

Uniforms. Combs. Maybe a bath. Cover up the gang tats. Take off the weed hat. There's a TV crew in here today and you represent our company. Thats all I'm saying. No matter how smart I am, I can't walk into BMW or IBM for that matter with a tattoo of my kid on my neck and expext to be hired. I get that union rules dictate any dirtbag can do anything they want...but just how about not having that particular guy be the face of GM and Corvette on the Science Channel? I'm sure they're awesome people (some of 'em). Salt of the earth and great at what they do. Good on them for making a great car - but;

Doesn't cost anything to hand out some shirts. Light bulbs are cheap. White paint is practically free. Doesn't mean they have to charge 250k for a car - just means they have to care.
I completely agree. I don't think it's asking too much at all. Will they build a worse car if they don't look like gangbangers? Show some pride in yourself and it carries over to your work. Why should the bar be lower for putting together a 100K car? If that's being an elitist, I'm guilty too.

Last edited by docb; 04-06-2016 at 11:51 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by docb:
67*427 (04-07-2016), Dabigsnake (04-06-2016), flby55 (04-07-2016), superjet802 (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:52 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
However, they probably don't allow it now because the smoke from it was killing the guy smoking and his coworkers next to him.

Bill
Wouldn't that help with the pensions?

It was just funny to see that and know that the car, and ash, were likely to be delivered to a guy who was going to drive it never days a week and only touch it with the soft side of an organic diaper.
Bischof (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Uniforms. Combs. Maybe a bath. Cover up the gang tats. Take off the weed hat. There's a TV crew in here today and you represent our company. Thats all I'm saying. No matter how smart I am, I can't walk into BMW or IBM for that matter with a tattoo of my kid on my neck and expext to be hired. I get that union rules dictate any dirtbag can do anything they want...but just how about not having that particular guy be the face of GM and Corvette on the Science Channel.

Points well taken. Union/GM mentality what it is means---it won't happen. The Corvette is the blue collar guys sports car always has been. Just so happens that the C7 has elevated to the world stage and the big boys have taken notice. In the end it is a GM product so you do not want one built on a Monday or Friday as the old joke goes.

I do love my car but have no illusions about trying to compare the any GM assembly line/factory to the ones that build the European super cars.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:54 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

I am sure their dress "code" was collectively bargained. I toured the plant twice, once when my Z was built, and i wouldn't worry about those folks. They know what they are doing, they care about their work, and they appreciate the people who buy what they build.
OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Some constructive criticism for Bowling Green...

Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Better sell that Z06. You would not want to be driving around in a car built by dirtbags.
The following 2 users liked this post by robertbruce:
AeroJim (04-10-2016), OLD_GOAT (04-13-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Gotta agree with everything you have said. How many of you would drop your car off for service with a service writer who is wearing cut off jeans with wife beater shirt on, with a cig hanging out his lips? Better yet, your heart surgeon drives up in a beat up VW, with dirty camo shorts on, long unkept hair, and a "Need for Weed" t shirt on......you take the chance, and bet your LIFE that he's that quirky genius of a heart doctor, or go with the norm, and run away,bad heart and all???
The following 4 users liked this post by Dabigsnake:
2cnd Chance (04-07-2016), Dan.S (04-06-2016), flby55 (04-07-2016), Xanthophyll (04-10-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 12:33 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I went to the parts dept of Classic Chevrolet to buy a small part for my 2004 Z06. I explained what I needed to the parts "technician", and added for clarification that it was a C5 Corvette.
His response was to tell me: "I don't own a Corvette, and I will never be able to own a Corvette, so,
I don't understand anything about your "C" models of Corvette, and
I don't give a **** about Corvettes. Most of our 'real' customers drive pick-up trucks.
"
I left! I haven't been back!

Last edited by 63Corvette; 04-06-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Dan.S (04-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Some constructive criticism for Bowling Green...