C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Automatic versus Manual....again

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 PM
johnnyvector
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Automatic versus Manual....again

I've been officially approved to begin my search for just the right C7Z!

I know this has been done to death, but any advice given my specific situation would be greatly appreciated....

So I've been going back and forth on this... Here are some thoughts that have been going through my head....

-I've owned a manual C5 FRC, Miata, Z4, and others and I've enjoyed them all
-I'm not the most coordinated guy, Sometimes I have trouble hitting the right gear, especially on downshifts and trouble with 5 vs 7.
-Haven't read one post from someone with an A8 that now wish they had gone with the manual
-Overheating issue with the A8 (although seems only on heavy track use)
-A8 has "better" performance specs
-Manual has rev matching
-A8 has paddle shifting
-Car will be weekend fun car
-Manual is $3k cheaper
-Just checked Kerbeck's inventory and 18% are manual
-The A8 will be better for resale??
-A10 in the works?

Basically I'm very slightly leaning toward the A8 but I'm worried I'll miss the visceral sensation of shifting through the gears and regret my choice....

So, especially if you're someone who has always driven manuals and decided to go auto with the C7Z for the first time, I'd love to hear how you feel about your decision so far....
Old 04-13-2016, 09:52 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyvector

I know this has been done to death, but any advice given my specific situation would be greatly appreciated....

So I've been going back and forth on this... Here are some thoughts that have been going through my head....

-I'm not the most coordinated guy, Sometimes I have trouble hitting the right gear, especially on downshifts and trouble with 5 vs 7.
-Haven't read one post from someone with an A8 that now wish they had gone with the manual
-Manual has rev matching
-A8 has paddle shifting
-Manual is $3k cheaper
-A10 in the works?

Basically I'm very slightly leaning toward the A8 but I'm worried I'll miss the visceral sensation of shifting through the gears and regret my choice....

So, especially if you're someone who has always driven manuals and decided to go auto with the C7Z for the first time, I'd love to hear how you feel about your decision so far....

It's a personal choice so...choose one. Either way you won't be disappointed in the car. You might get laughed at, however!
The following users liked this post:
VictorBarron (04-19-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 PM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

-Manual has rev matching
-A8 has paddle shifting
-Manual is $3k cheaper
-A10 in the works?

Well this is certainly going to be an interesting thread. I've driven manuals for as long as I can remember, in performance cars anyway. When I decided to order a new Z06 I went to my local dealer. I wanted to take one for a test drive and all they had were autos. We took it out and honestly, for the short time I drove it and I took it on the highway and got on it, it was so boring. I wouldn't take an auto if the dealer gave me the car for free.

Last edited by UmCanesZ06; 04-13-2016 at 09:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UmCanesZ06:
Fastmikefree (04-14-2016), VictorBarron (04-19-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,596 Posts

M7...

Hopefully you'll get the info that you seek. If not, there are a boatload of threads on this topic.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Grow a pair and get what you want....people here can't make the decision for you....
Old 04-13-2016, 10:13 PM
mxk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I always had manual cars until my last corvette, a 2006 Z51. That was a great car, I was shocked at how much I loved it and it was my daily driver, but when I stepped up to a C7 I had to go back to a manual. They are just that much more fun, and I now have a little electric that is my commuter so the hassle of stop and go on inclines in traffic aren't there for me anymore. You'll be very pleased with a C7 regardless of which way you go.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:37 PM
johnnyvector
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STStingray
M7...

Hopefully you'll get the info that you seek. If not, there are a boatload of threads on this topic.
I know, I've read a lot of them....
Every time I think I've made up my mind I read something new that changes the perspective...

It's like that one strip from Calvin and Hobbes....
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by johnnyvector:
binsayyar (04-21-2016), RapidC84B (04-15-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 PM
bgjersey30
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a 2015 Z51 M7 and got a 2016 A8 Z06
The following 3 users liked this post by bgjersey30:
djnice (05-17-2017), johnnyvector (04-13-2016), JWingo (04-21-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:45 PM
upcharger
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the same issue as you about 10 days ago. I'd driven the auto stingray and I liked it so much I decided to buy a z06. My friend let me drive his manual z51 for a day, I chose manual.

Here's my reasoning. Shifting is fun. Rev match is awesome. Way better for revving at people. I don't drag race for money. I'd be pissed if my car overheated at the track while my buddy lapped me n his gt3.

The auto is cool, don't get me wrong... Actually it's awesome. Just not as awesome as a stick.

My car red/red manual. The most kick *** vette possible. Imo

Last edited by upcharger; 04-13-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:49 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't think the quotation marks are needed, the autos are just easier to drive for most people.

If you are used to manuals and the car will be for weekends I see no issue with getting a manual. I had an auto C6 Grand Sport, manual C6 Z06, manual C5 and a couple of automatic C4s. I did not regret the A8 in any of the three C7s I have had and if (when) I go back to a Z06, it will be the auto (8 or 10) that I go with

Last edited by tail_lights; 04-13-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm loving my Auto and the way it shifts! Where do you live? Maybe a member can take you for a ride in each.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:55 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by BWFitz
It's a personal choice so...choose one. Either way you won't be disappointed in the car. You might get laughed at, however!
Laugh away but I'm done kicking my left foot into the floorboard!

When I need the thrill of a manual, I fly to Vegas and go to DreamCars!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:57 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The stick is nice to use the wide torque of the Lt4 with the M7.
I shift sometimes 1-3rd and skip other 3-5 etc other gears as well nothing like a 4 speed. Still leave traffic behind quickly.
You can make a lot of choices.
Then nothing beats the easy cruising at highway speed in 7th.
100 mph is only 2 grand on the tach.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 PM
J. Gary
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Like you I found the decision a tough one. I would like one of each. Living in the Detroit metro area I went with the automatic, no regrets. Last Corvette was a 2000 six speed coupe, enjoyed the shifting experience and I miss it at times but wearied of heavy traffic use. On the expressway I found myself having to watch the tach as I dealt with traffic. It seemed easy to lug the motor if you did not pay attention. If buying today I would get another automatic. Besides, when you put the boot to this car you need to hang on with both hands ;-)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Love my A8. Nice and mellow in all modes. I usually have my right hand resting deep in my girls thigh, way more comfy than a ****.
When in sport or track mode you also have the ability to blip the throttle and go into "performance shift active" and the beast will come alive and be angry.
Or you can use manual mode and paddle shift at will.
You can use paddles in auto mode, but will revert back to Drive as you calm yourself.
A8 has a rev match during downshift also, doesn't go into a compression skid. Can not go into too low of a gear, will tell you shift denied.
Also, if hold downshift paddle for 2 seconds it will downshift to the lowest gear possible without going into redline.

There is alot more to this trans than just being an automatic, that's for sure.

Last edited by jaden61; 04-13-2016 at 11:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JWingo (04-20-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:36 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
Grow a pair and get what you want....people here can't make the decision for you....
Hide, Garret, hide. The PC police have a warrant for your arrest!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

I have had my 2016 Z06 M7 for going on 3 weeks now. I have multiple cars but I am treating it as a daily driver. I am very pleased with the M7. Clutch is good, shifter is best yet in a bette. New with 8 miles on it the shifter was pretty stiff. Also, until the car warms up it can be a tad "notchy". I have a little over 1500 miles on the car and it only keeps getting better.

I drive in some nasty traffic sometimes (Dallas, TX) and the M7 works.

An A8 can shift faster but I am having fun with the M7.

D.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic versus Manual....again

Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

If you decide on a auto, if wait for the A10, but I read your post and it appears that you really like manual transmissions. So that is the route to go. There is no wrong choice. I haven't driven a Z06, but I have test driven a manual and an auto C7. I've owned manual cars in the past,'and I really liked the way the C7 drove. I'm out of practice with a stick car and the C7 was easy to drive. I'd drive both cars and buy the one that puts a bigger grin on your face.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:52 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Daily Driver=A8
Fun/Weekend Car=M7

PS: RevMatch is awesome!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:08 AM
mcd_57
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will love the car either way...I promise. I went with an auto in my '16 Z...mostly because I still have the '07 sitting in the garage next to her. I just wanted to change it up this time. Every Corvette I've owned has been had a manual transmission until this one. I enjoy shifting gears, but this auto is a blast too. I can't imagine you being disappointed with either decision. Good luck.

Travis

Quick Reply: Automatic versus Manual....again