C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best way to launch the M7 Z06/Z07?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:31 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

^^^^^You will never see competitive driving mode in a Z06 as it is exclusively for non MSRC cars...as stated above you will enter Performance Traction Management.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
You say this is PSS or PSC2s. Are you saying the sport cups are no better than the PSSs for launches? I ask because I'm absolutely thinking about switching to PSC2s here shortly, solely for dry traction
Anyone got any input on PSS vs PSC2 for launching? I don't want to get drag radials as it's my daily driver, but if the sport cups are going to give me significantly better launches, I'd definitely be willing to sacrifice the shorter tread life.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:28 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Anyone got any input on PSS vs PSC2 for launching? I don't want to get drag radials as it's my daily driver, but if the sport cups are going to give me significantly better launches, I'd definitely be willing to sacrifice the shorter tread life.
From what I've seen and heard at the track and on this forum, you will NOT get significantly better 60ft times or 1/4mi times with the Cup tires vs the Super Sports. They are about the same in the 1/4mi. You won't see a significant improvement unless you go to drag radials. Also, the Cup tires are not the best on public roads, esp. in the rain etc...the SS are the better overall choice, unless you are tracking your car (not at the strip).

Launching these M7's is no joke, esp with the torque management. It takes a skilled driver to get them into the 10's, esp. at a 'normal' track, not one with mine shaft air.

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 03-19-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
From what I've seen and heard at the

Launching these M7's is no joke, esp with the torque management. It takes a skilled driver to get them into the 10's, esp. at a 'normal' track, not one with mine shaft air.
The A8 has at least .3 tenths quicker 60ft than the M7 in any 60ft run. Huge handi cap in any dead stop run.
The M7 is hard to better a 1.9 60ft. Your making good power when your doing only a 1.9 but still running 132 and 10.90. Cut that to a 1.6 and it goes 136 and 10.4.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The A8 has at least .3 tenths quicker 60ft than the M7 in any 60ft run. Huge handi cap in any dead stop run.
The M7 is hard to better a 1.9 60ft. Your making good power when your doing only a 1.9 but still running 132 and 10.90. Cut that to a 1.6 and it goes 136 and 10.4.
I would leap for joy if I'd gotten a 1.9. My BEST 60ft was 2.4 and that was with launch control. And honestly I think them putting water across the ENTIRE strip screwed me. Couldn't drive around it so I was launching on wet tires.

Ok so not much difference between the PSSs and PSC2s. What about launching from 2nd? Anyone have any info on that? I used to do that with my 2013 5.0 mustang all the time. It had 4.10 gears and 1st was essentially unusable, BUT it also redlined at like 30 vs about 60 for the Z06. Seems like with a high rev I could still get a good launch with it, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Who told you to run launch control?
My advice to you is to research who is giving you the information you are getting and that will solve most of your issues.
The people who I'd listen too have cut 1.7x in a bone stock c5Z and 1.6x in a bone stock c6z respectively.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

These are all things that scare me:

High revving 2nd gear launches
Possibility of having water on your tires at tree
Using launch control with a manual 1st time at track
Launching with a runflats and no experience
Launching with a cup tire and no experience
Launching any 100k vehicle with no experience
Taking advice from people with no experience
Worrying about aero at this point at the drag strip
The list goes on and on.......I'm haunted.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

How do you know the 'Thread' you're reading is f'ed?

When the forum RR expert is giving the best advice on how to launch your car at the drag strip.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by robz
Who told you to run launch control?
My advice to you is to research who is giving you the information you are getting and that will solve most of your issues.
The people who I'd listen too have cut 1.7x in a bone stock c5Z and 1.6x in a bone stock c6z respectively.
No one told me to run launch control per se. I was just getting AWFUL 0-60 times testing my launch on the street (4.5 seconds or so). I gave launch control a shot and was able to pull pretty steady 3.4-3.6 seconds 0-60 (mentioned it earlier in the thread) so I figured that was my best bet. My first go had me running a 12.1 (which is of course terrible) but when I turned launch control off, my best time was a 12.33. So yeah, for me, launch control seems the way to go. i will continue to practice without it, but it's hard to get that practice in on the street.

Wow, someone is salty. Ok, I'll address these in order:

1)I ASKED about 2nd gear launches. I've done it tons of times in a previous car as I mentioned and had pretty great results.
2) It wasn't my first time at the track, nor was it my first time using launch control. And it was BY FAR not my first time launch. I've been drag racing (mostly back road street racing) for close to 20 years
3)wtf is wrong with launching on runflats?? and again, FAR from no experience
4) If by cup tire you just mean street tire, literally thousands and thousands of people do it all the time, and again, TONS of experience launching on street tires. Not everyone is a snob that needs slicks to go to the track
5)again, see previous... TONS of experience.
6)it's an effin forum. people post questions and other people give advice. that's how it works
7)who is worried about aero?? not even sure where you got that (except that one person posted to lose the aero and i was like "uh no")
8) if you're so haunted, please leave my thread and stop being a troll. if you have something positive to contribute, I'd love to hear it. If not, do like your mother taught you. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Thanks
Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

These c7s aren’t John force’s Funny car. The first 5 or ten times out do leave traction control and nannies on - leave it in tour mode , roll off the clutch at 1100 to 1200 rpm ease into full throttle - Avoid no lift shift . Don’t be embarrassed to Abort the run if it gets squirrelly. You’ll be fine . Anything Around 12 seconds will be fun and is respectable. Then you can step it up to traction control off —nannies on into one of the track modes.

Your biggest concern should be some dumb **** in the lane next to you in an old ratted out mustang, firebird or ricer running into you with his low dolllar build taking chances to show up a guy in his 100k c7z.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-19-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

These c7s aren’t John force’s Funny car. The first 5 or ten times out do leave traction control and nannies on - leave it in tour mode , roll off the clutch at 1100 to 1200 rpm ease into full throttle - Avoid no lift shift . Don’t be embarrassed to Abort the run if it gets squirrelly. You’ll be fine . Anything Around 12 seconds will be fun and is respectable. Then you can step it up to traction control off —nannies on into one of the track modes.

Your biggest concern should be some dumb **** in the lane next to you in an old ratted out mustang, firebird or ricer running into you with his low dolllar build taking chances to show up a guy in his 100k c7z.
You know, I didn't even think of leaving traction control on! I definitely should try that. It does allow a pretty good amount of wheel spin, so I could see that working. Fortunately for me, in the test n tune, there were only a few cars that day. the rest were running bracket or grudge. it was mostly just me and a dodge demon, who LEFT me off the line
and some sport bikes. 2 of my passes I was actually going down the strip by myself.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

You know, I didn't even think of leaving traction control on! I definitely should try that. It does allow a pretty good amount of wheel spin, so I could see that working. Fortunately for me, in the test n tune, there were only a few cars that day. the rest were running bracket or grudge. it was mostly just me and a dodge demon, who LEFT me off the line https://youtu.be/CubVwwCi9Dc and some sport bikes. 2 of my passes I was actually going down the strip by myself.
It looked liked you were gaining big time on the dodge hellcat demon at the end.

The trick is to take off at the light before green with out red lighting. Once you learn how the car rolls out on the yellow without red lighting you’ll get the jump.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

It looked liked you were gaining big time on the dodge hellcat demon at the end.

The trick is to take off at the light before green with out red lighting. Once you learn how the car rolls out on the yellow without red lighting you’ll get the jump.
Yeah I was reeling him in, just didn't have enough road to make up for the launch difference. I also wasn't launching till I actually saw green. The tracks i've ben to before have had 4 yellows before the green and they go so fast you can launch on the last yellow and not get an early start. this was only 2 yellows and kinda slow so I waited till green so as not to embarrass myself further. :-p

Here's what I think I've learned from this thread. Stock tires suck for launching and the PSC2s aren't much better than the PSSs, so unless I want to get drag radials (which I would, but i'm given to understand MT stopped making the 335/25/20 that would fit the stock wheel), I just need to learn how to use the stock tires. Launch control might be better than being awful at feathering the throttle, but it's not going to get you the best 60ft times. I should try with traction control on first and once I master that, I just have to really practice practice practice without traction control. Definitely appreciate everyone's positive input and any new tips are certainly appreciated! I'll update next time I go to the track.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 03-19-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2018, 09:58 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Post 49 wasn't meant specifically for one person but for anyone to think critically about what you are doing. It had a touch of humor sprinkled in, not salt.
And yes, you can break these cars in stock configuration especially when you dont know what you are doing...and that can be a nightmare if you drove far to a track. I see it happen all too often and for most people it's their last time to the strip.
Discussions are great but finding the right advice can be a task and at some point IMO we need to defer to those who have real world experience in the specific area being discussed in order to make progress.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Post 49 wasn't meant specifically for one person but for anyone to think critically about what you are doing. It had a touch of humor sprinkled in, not salt.
And yes, you can break these cars in stock configuration especially when you dont know what you are doing...and that can be a nightmare if you drove far to a track. I see it happen all too often and for most people it's their last time to the strip.
Discussions are great but finding the right advice can be a task and at some point IMO we need to defer to those who have real world experience in the specific area being discussed in order to make progress.
Fair enough. It came across as trolly, but it's hard to read tone over text. No harm done, just wanted to keep the thread productive :-)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Fair enough. It came across as trolly, but it's hard to read tone over text. No harm done, just wanted to keep the thread productive :-)
if that was a hellcat demon that thing had a trans brake if I recall . I am quite impressed on how much your stock z was reeling that thing on the big end considering your slow reaction at the light. Is your z stock?
Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Anytime I give advice about launching a manual vette I take into account the personality and or temperament of the driver. As in any sport, mental and emotional state of mind plays a significant role. So always try to be calm and collected in a manner where you can actually read the tachometer to the nearest 100rpms, and know exactly what you did with each foot and how you launched the car and then jot it down on your timeslip after each run.

The 1st piece of advice which I've already given is to read Ranger's tutorial several time and digest it. Try and pick the brains of members who have had great success in the c5 and c6 platform with stock tires and near stock cars like Gary2004Z06, Ranger, and Dr.Ron or a manual c7 racer who has hundreds of passes which will be hard to find.

After all that, write down a conservative game plan based on all that knowledge and experience and follow it to the letter to see how their techniques translate through you and document everything in detail down to the smallest increment.

I personally wouldn't run a manual vette aggressively with anything less than a drag radial on a drag strip for many reasons not worth talking about right now. So my next piece of advice is to get a dedicate narrow drag radial on a separate set of lightweight rims and do it right so you can enjoy the experience and run the car hard and in the throttle throughout the run safely. (no snob here)

Your plan might include:

-setting tire pressure to whatever the pro recommends
-do a small quick burnout with whatever tire you are using
-make sure you actually do a burnout (it matters)
-pump the clutch 10 times on your way from the burnout box to the tree
-ignore the tree if you are only running for et
-shallow the stage the car
-take a few deep breaths (when you are in the proper mindset and calm everything should slow down inside the cockpit and be crystal clear exactly what you are doing)
-know the rpm you want to launch ahead of time (I'd start around 3000 or under)
-try what Rangers says on technique but know your just starting out and may have to work up to it.
-don't dump the clutch but try and be smooth
-one tip that I give beginners is to not have the clutch pedal pinned to the floor but rather just right below the engagement point prior to launching the car. This will give a softer hit of the clutch and often helps in all aspects unless you can't spin the tires( you need to find that point ahead of time on the street and get comfy with it because if you creep on the launch it will kill your 60')
If you feel wheel hop get out of the throttle. I see more wheel hop and carnage with stock/street tires than with properly matched drag radials.

Your not dumping the clutch but your also not riding it out too much. If you want to err on the side of caution, I'd rather you slip the clutch slightly too much because even if you glaze it slightly it will recover and less chance of wheel hop.
Ranger likes to wait for traction before getting on the throttle, while I like to get on the throttle slightly sooner. I also like a slightly higher rpm than he recommends but he is the expert when it comes to stock tires. I have a good amount of experience with dr's and slicks. Remember that you are learning and when someone says 4200 is an ideal rpm that might mean after 100 launches and you have the technique down so start conservatively and you will learn faster that way.
Smoother is always better and you want to try and keep the rpms steady or rising but don't worry about the 60' until you get many smooth launches in a row, then you can start adding rpm.
I'd certainly run in touring mode.
If you are going to do this as a hobby I get a shift light and maybe one with a launch mode light even if you thinks is not cool and like running reflectors on your bicycle.
Forget the street and go to the track a few times and make your own corrections with the help of a friend. Make sure everything is documented.
Then I'd get that same buddy to video you launching from the side with focus on the rear tires and post the video so we can critique it..
It may seem like a lot to do but it's not hard to do and doesn't take that much time. The data is critical and once you dissect it all out and figure out how to launch your car under your own power and with your temperament it will stick with you forever.
There's bunch more of little details that can help but hopefully you have enough to go with for now. After a lot of practice launching at the strip and learning about yourself, you should be consistently under 2.0 with street tires and 1.7 with a drag radial and better on great tracks. I have no doubt there's a 1.4x with the proper drag radial and proper technique.
Again, I'm all for discussions but all too often there's so much false or bad information that doesn't get checked and it completely f's up those trying to learn how to drive their car. I encourage people to discuss and debate specific info given so we all can learn and maybe rule out based on some inaccurate data or uncontrolled environment. Rather then just jumping to conclusions based on generalities and theories or even guesswork.
I also understand that some of my techniques won't work for everyone. There's a fine line between doing it right and slightly wrong and that can make a big difference. After all we are only talking fractions of a second here.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to launch the M7 Z06/Z07?

Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

if that was a hellcat demon that thing had a trans brake if I recall . I am quite impressed on how much your stock z was reeling that thing on the big end considering your slow reaction at the light. Is your z stock?
Yep. Bone stock. I bought a CAI and a flex fuel kit, but wanted to get a baseline time before i put those on and got a tune
Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Anytime I give advice about launching a manual vette I take into account the personality and or temperament of the driver. As in any sport, mental and emotional state of mind plays a significant role. So always try to be calm and collected in a manner where you can actually read the tachometer to the nearest 100rpms, and know exactly what you did with each foot and how you launched the car and then jot it down on your timeslip after each run.

The 1st piece of advice which I've already given is to read Ranger's tutorial several time and digest it. Try and pick the brains of members who have had great success in the c5 and c6 platform with stock tires and near stock cars like Gary2004Z06, Ranger, and Dr.Ron or a manual c7 racer who has hundreds of passes which will be hard to find.

After all that, write down a conservative game plan based on all that knowledge and experience and follow it to the letter to see how their techniques translate through you and document everything in detail down to the smallest increment.

I personally wouldn't run a manual vette aggressively with anything less than a drag radial on a drag strip for many reasons not worth talking about right now. So my next piece of advice is to get a dedicate narrow drag radial on a separate set of lightweight rims and do it right so you can enjoy the experience and run the car hard and in the throttle throughout the run safely. (no snob here)

Your plan might include:

-setting tire pressure to whatever the pro recommends
-do a small quick burnout with whatever tire you are using
-make sure you actually do a burnout (it matters)
-pump the clutch 10 times on your way from the burnout box to the tree
-ignore the tree if you are only running for et
-shallow the stage the car
-take a few deep breaths (when you are in the proper mindset and calm everything should slow down inside the cockpit and be crystal clear exactly what you are doing)
-know the rpm you want to launch ahead of time (I'd start around 3000 or under)
-try what Rangers says on technique but know your just starting out and may have to work up to it.
-don't dump the clutch but try and be smooth
-one tip that I give beginners is to not have the clutch pedal pinned to the floor but rather just right below the engagement point prior to launching the car. This will give a softer hit of the clutch and often helps in all aspects unless you can't spin the tires( you need to find that point ahead of time on the street and get comfy with it because if you creep on the launch it will kill your 60')
If you feel wheel hop get out of the throttle. I see more wheel hop and carnage with stock/street tires than with properly matched drag radials.

Your not dumping the clutch but your also not riding it out too much. If you want to err on the side of caution, I'd rather you slip the clutch slightly too much because even if you glaze it slightly it will recover and less chance of wheel hop.
Ranger likes to wait for traction before getting on the throttle, while I like to get on the throttle slightly sooner. I also like a slightly higher rpm than he recommends but he is the expert when it comes to stock tires. I have a good amount of experience with dr's and slicks. Remember that you are learning and when someone says 4200 is an ideal rpm that might mean after 100 launches and you have the technique down so start conservatively and you will learn faster that way.
Smoother is always better and you want to try and keep the rpms steady or rising but don't worry about the 60' until you get many smooth launches in a row, then you can start adding rpm.
I'd certainly run in touring mode.
If you are going to do this as a hobby I get a shift light and maybe one with a launch mode light even if you thinks is not cool and like running reflectors on your bicycle.
Forget the street and go to the track a few times and make your own corrections with the help of a friend. Make sure everything is documented.
Then I'd get that same buddy to video you launching from the side with focus on the rear tires and post the video so we can critique it..
It may seem like a lot to do but it's not hard to do and doesn't take that much time. The data is critical and once you dissect it all out and figure out how to launch your car under your own power and with your temperament it will stick with you forever.
There's bunch more of little details that can help but hopefully you have enough to go with for now. After a lot of practice launching at the strip and learning about yourself, you should be consistently under 2.0 with street tires and 1.7 with a drag radial and better on great tracks. I have no doubt there's a 1.4x with the proper drag radial and proper technique.
Again, I'm all for discussions but all too often there's so much false or bad information that doesn't get checked and it completely f's up those trying to learn how to drive their car. I encourage people to discuss and debate specific info given so we all can learn and maybe rule out based on some inaccurate data or uncontrolled environment. Rather then just jumping to conclusions based on generalities and theories or even guesswork.
I also understand that some of my techniques won't work for everyone. There's a fine line between doing it right and slightly wrong and that can make a big difference. After all we are only talking fractions of a second here.

A lot of that stuff I did discover, both on here and on reading ranger's site (though I had to chuckle a bit at his site. there's a DVD "coming soon" dated 2010). I dropped my psi to 25 and on my second launch i did do a burnout, but didn't make much difference. I think I may not have gotten out of the water. Anyway. Yeah I can probably have someone record me practicing, but practicing at the strip is impractical since it's 2 hours away. Those trips will be infrequent. My biggest problem is slipping the clutch. Even my stingray wasn't powerful enough to need to do that. I've had a few 400 or so hp cars, but this is my first car that puts down this kind of power and it ain't easy finding that sweet spot of clutch and gas. Thanks for all the tips and I'll try to get some videos uploaded for critiquing!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

That video shows a truly fast sports car (Z06) vs a pig (Demon). If you were an A8 car or a (no offense) hard launched M7, you'd have destroyed him.

OP, by the far the easiest and best way to start for a car like this is 1000-1500 RPM, when you get it staged correctly, as said above, release the clutch to just before the engagement point, don't sit there with your foot at the floor. In cars with a manual E-Brake, having the clutch actually at the engagement point (Moving the car even) and using the E-brake to hold it still was a great way to get good launches but with the electronic brake in the Z06, that won't work. Anyways, start with low RPM, feathered clutch, and as much throttle as the tires will hold. Launch control sucks, and I repeat, sucks. I've never seen launch control be effective. And I also believe it to be a lot harder on the car than the launch described above. Leave traction control on. I haven't experimented to find the best mode but I'd highly recommend TOUR suspension with a PTM 3-4 Traction. Tour will be softer and allow better weight transfer in my experience.

Best thing to do is take it easy and have fun. The low 11s/high 10s will come with practice and lots of passes under your belt. Nothing is more humbling than making your first few dozen manual passes at the strip, especially on a street tire.

Quick Reply: Best way to launch the M7 Z06/Z07?