C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best way to launch the M7 Z06/Z07?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Jpjr2016
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

The other thing about launching is to port the TB. Widely documented that these cars bog bad upon dumping the clutch. It makes a massive difference IMO, part of what you think is a bad launch is actually bad airflow.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:42 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
The C6Z had runflats and yes lowering the tire pressure did work.
More importantly, the same principles apply when trying to accelerate these cars. A controlled clutch release not a dump and a throttle squeeze will extract the most from this setup.
The C6 Z06 is much easier to launch being 300 pounds lighter and has a lower 1 st gear. Been there with 2 of each car!
Old 03-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The C6 Z06 is much easier to launch being 300 pounds lighter and has a lower 1 st gear. Been there with 2 of each car!
rolling off the clutch at 1000 to 1100 rpm and easing into full throttle seems to work well in c7 or c6 , probably better on the c7z with massive torque coming in at 1800 rpm.

Never tried launch control or never will. Launch control videos aren’t very impressive and seem hard on the drive train on the manual trans cars. Automatics launch control seems to work well

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-16-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
Does the mode matter for 1/4 mile? I'd like to use Tour mode (TC off, Stabilitrack on) for the soft shocks, but will I get full power without being in Track/PTM? The manual mentions more power delivery based on PTM mode, but I'm not sure if they just mean "less nanny assistance" or do they truly mean more horsepower?

Coming from over 500 1/4 mile passes in three different manual C5s, I'm excited to start learning my new '15 M7 Z07.
Billy,
Forget power delivery and adjust mode for a slight change in suspension that can aid on the launch. You know the deal.
If you blowing stock tires off then put it in comfort.
If you are eating up the clutch on a big drag radial then consider track mode.
...And if you dare even think about launch control you'll never hear the end of it! lol
The clutch is stronger than in the c5 but the car is much heavier and makes more power so you can glaze it quite easily IME.
I only took 2 launches on a c7GS and managed to slightly glaze the clutch with a baby drag radial that most people think is too small to run.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

I had the chance to try a couple of launches with launch control at lunch. It's actually quite nice. First time I did it, I just floored it all the way. Got a 3.9 0-60, which is a far cry from the claimed 3.2, but certainly better than i'd been doing on my own. Did it a second time feathering the gas a little once the launch control let go, and got it down to 3.7. Couple more attempts and I was down to a 3.4. I'd say the launch control is pretty dang nice. I'll definitely be using it tomorrow!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

how strong are the back ends on these cars in terms of launching? i haven't seen alot of people blowing **** up, so i'm guessing thats a good thing.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by trevor90
how strong are the back ends on these cars in terms of launching? i haven't seen alot of people blowing **** up, so i'm guessing thats a good thing.
Are you asking if the stock rear end can support the stock hp/torque?? Aside from the occasional lemon/fluke, manufacturers make their parts strong enough to support even more than stock power. They have to cover their asses on the warranties. You're not going to break anything on stock or even a little more than stock power until you're getting into 100k miles and then stuff is just starting to wear out.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
It also has a lot higher low end torque. People forget about the huge amount of torque the LT4 has starting at 1000 rpm. The C7Z has around 100 lb ft more right off idle. By 2000 rpm you are already over the max torque level of the LS7 which comes in at 470 lb ft at 4800 rpm. The LT4 then hits 650 lb-ft at 3600 rpm. That is tire shredding torque and you can't drive the car like you did an LS7 or Lt1, LS6 or LS1.

Try a few runs using Track Race Mode without using Launch Mode. Try launching at about 2200 rpm, adding throttle and feathering the clutch as the tires start to grip. What is interesting when you do that is PTM will cut in a little and limit tire slip to some degree. It is sort of like launch mode but you don't have to floor the throttle at the start. I was getting excellent launches at an autocross using that technique. May or may not work at a drag strip but is worth a try. From the launch point to tires hooking sufficiently to go wide open the car traveled less than 100 ft. Low gear is geared a little high as I was seeing 65 to 67 mph on the straights without hitting the rev limiter in my PDR video. My C6Z would hit the limiter right at 61 mph.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-19-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Went to the track today, as I mentioned before. Had some pretty garbage launches. Best time was a 12.1 with a 125 trap speed. I missed 3rd pretty much EVERY time. To be fair, it was my first time at that track, first time at the track in that car, and haven't been to any track over a decade. Anyway, I was getting like 2.6 60 ft times. So bad. Definitely need to work on that launch. It didn't help that they didn't have a burn out trench, just sprayed water on the first few feet on the track. I'm running PSSs. I don't need to do a dang burnout, and they didn't leave room to drive around it, so I was launching with wet tires. Hopefully by the time I go next time, I'll have some PSC2s on there and I WILL do a burn out. I even dropped air pressure to 25psi and it didn't do anything for me. Oh well.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Went to the track today, as I mentioned before. Had some pretty garbage launches. Best time was a 12.1 with a 125 trap speed. I missed 3rd pretty much EVERY time. To be fair, it was my first time at that track, first time at the track in that car, and haven't been to any track over a decade. Anyway, I was getting like 2.6 60 ft times. So bad. Definitely need to work on that launch. It didn't help that they didn't have a burn out trench, just sprayed water on the first few feet on the track. I'm running PSSs. I don't need to do a dang burnout, and they didn't leave room to drive around it, so I was launching with wet tires. Hopefully by the time I go next time, I'll have some PSC2s on there and I WILL do a burn out. I even dropped air pressure to 25psi and it didn't do anything for me. Oh well.
mph seem ok. And that et is pretty good.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Jpjr2016
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
This is a 100% inaccurate post.
Fair enough.

It’s 100% inaccurate. As well as the 1000 other posts documenting bogging at launch.

lol
Old 03-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jpjr2016

Fair enough.

It’s 100% inaccurate. As well as the 1000 other posts documenting bogging at launch.

lol
Not to start a flaming war or anything, but as someone who JUST did this today, I can say I experienced 0 bogging. My problem was "it's spinnin n***** it's spinnin n**** it's spinnin!" (chris rock reference).
Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 PM
mark293
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@toddiesel RFLMAO!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:13 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
You can't drop the clutch on these cars on launch. You have to slip the clutch and feather the throttle. Finding the balance for a perfect launch is tough with the M7 but guys are getting 1.7s 60ft times and even 3s 0-60 times. Slip the clutch or you'll be spinning in a cloud of smoke...

Note this is assuming MPSS or cups.
☝️This. It will be as fast and much more fun learning to feather the clutch & control the right pedal vs using lc. Takes a lot of practice, especially on no prep or the street. If you want to do a lot better you need a rear tire with some sidewall. Which means getting a set of smaller rims and dr or slicks for the rears. The cup2s aren’t bad though. Forget any other run flat. These cars are set up for road racing vs drags obviously. Pull the aero off while your at it.

Last edited by Cercone; 03-17-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
You can't drop the clutch on these cars on launch. You have to slip the clutch and feather the throttle. Finding the balance for a perfect launch is tough with the M7 but guys are getting 1.7s 60ft times and even 3s 0-60 times. Slip the clutch or you'll be spinning in a cloud of smoke...

Note this is assuming MPSS or cups.
You say this is PSS or PSC2s. Are you saying the sport cups are no better than the PSSs for launches? I ask because I'm absolutely thinking about switching to PSC2s here shortly, solely for dry traction
Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cercone

☝️This. It will be as fast and much more fun learning to feather the clutch & control the right pedal vs using lc. Takes a lot of practice, especially on no prep or the street. If you want to do a lot better you need a rear tire with some sidewall. Which means getting a set of smaller rims and dr or slicks for the rears. The cup2s aren’t bad though. Forget any other run flat. These cars are set up for road racing vs drags obviously. Pull the aero off while you're at it.
What's wrong with aero?? I'm not being petulant, I seriously want to know.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 03-17-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: fixing previous poster's grammar
Old 03-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
What's wrong with aero?? I'm not being petulant, I seriously want to know.
To keep it short, it causes drag and slows you down (aero is counterproductive in a 1/8th, 1/4 mile drag or for top speed).

Last edited by Cercone; 03-17-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to launch the M7 Z06/Z07?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:39 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cercone

To keep it short, it causes drag and slows you down (aero is counterproductive in a 1/8th, 1/4 mile drag or for top speed).
In theory, I see your point. However comma pause for effect where's the proof? I (just in my head) feel like it's HIGLY unlikely that aero would reduce your 1/4 mile (and most especially your 1/8 mile) times in the slightest. I could see it affecting top speed (for example maybe a non aeroed car could do 205 vs 195 on an aeroed car) but I just don't see downforce affecting your ET or trap speed. I've been wrong MANY times in my life and this may very well be one of them, but to quote the internet... "pics or shens"
Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tracer3030
I tried Track/race mode Pushed the button 1 time just roasted the tires down the 1/4 mile track. Same track/race mode hit the button 2 times thinking everything is off could not do a burn out seemed to have Rev limiter or TC still on? 2016 Z06/Z07 M7 Sport the same. What am I doing wrong?
Best Launch?

A question that often arises: How to best launch a manual gearbox Callaway Corvette or Camaro? Answer: Judiciously! Start at about 1500 RPM. That’s right, 1500! We’ve found that this is approximately the right rpm for a successful launch. Just try not to overpower the tires. Shift to 2nd a few tenths before you see the 6400 RPM point. For Corvette, shoot for a 1.6 second sixty-foot time.

Alternately, use Launch Control. The Launch Control function included in Camaro and Corvette traction management actually works fairly well for both stock and Callaway applications. It’s especially helpful for drivers without much experience with high horsepower vehicles. We have tested with Launch Control as part of our product development process to ensure that it functions as originally designed.

There are conditions that the Launch Control system cannot monitor, however, including tire temperature and condition, and road surface temperature and condition. When tires are cold, when the road surface is cold, or when the road surface or tires aren’t clean and dry, excessive wheel spin is more likely.

Follow the instructions provided in your Corvette or Camaro Owner’s Manual:
1) Double click the Traction Control button, you’ll see “Competitive Mode” displayed in the Driver’s Information Center (DIC).
2) Depress clutch pedal to floor.
3) Move shifter to first gear.
4) Depress accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, smoothly. Engine speed will hunt briefly and then stabilize at approx. 4200 RPM for Corvette, 3500 RPM for Camaro.
5) Keep accelerator pedal to floor and release the clutch rapidly but smoothly.
6) Hold on.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by salcolkat
Best Launch?

1) Double click the Traction Control button, you’ll see “Competitive Mode” displayed in the Driver’s Information Center (DIC).
2) Depress clutch pedal to floor.
3) Move shifter to first gear.
4) Depress accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, smoothly. Engine speed will hunt briefly and then stabilize at approx. 4200 RPM for Corvette, 3500 RPM for Camaro.
5) Keep accelerator pedal to floor and release the clutch rapidly but smoothly.
6) Hold on.
Key thing there being a fast double press of the button. Don't just press it and then press it again. Also, if you have the MRC, another menu will pop up where you can select wet, dry, sport 1, sport 2, or race. "Dry" seems to work best for me.

Quick Reply: Best way to launch the M7 Z06/Z07?