C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

NEW: Halltech Ram Air System for Z06

Old 05-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Ahmed_otb
ICE enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

count me in for 5 of those
The following 2 users liked this post by Ahmed_otb:
3 Z06ZR1 (05-26-2016), 383vett (05-26-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:21 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Halltech
Anyone care to guess at the new horsepower? Our car did 608 RWHP at Katech with just the Stinger, and that was only .7 PSI over stock.
Isn't it about 30rwhp per 1 psi?

If stock is 9.4 and you're at 12.1, and you hit 608 RWHP .7 over stock, and we're sticking with that 30hp rule then you should be in the neighborhood of 668 RWHP. Of course this couldn't possible be reality...or could it? 100hp at the wheels with an intake setup?!?!? I'm looking forward to the track results and come October I'll probably be one of the many supplying them.

Best,
Gene
Old 05-24-2016, 10:39 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms

If stock is 9.4 and you're at 12.1, and you hit 608 RWHP .7 over stock, and we're sticking with that 30hp rule then you should be in the neighborhood of 668 RWHP. Of course this couldn't possible be reality...or could it? 100hp at the wheels with an intake setup?!?!? I'm looking forward to the track results and come October I'll probably be one of the many supplying them.

Best,
Gene
more like 10 BHP per psi, definitely not 30 rwhp.

8 at the wheels then....not so sure about a boost increase from this mod though, especially if the intake still has such a vacuum in it. I think there is more to a measured boost reading change from pull to pull, especially with a stock tune in it.

btw, I do have a Halltech intake on my car (thanks Ben@WeaponX) so I am not pooping on them, I love the intake! And if this mod does indeed make such a difference, I will certainly purchase one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
Ben@WeaponX (05-25-2016), upcharger (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

8 at the wheels then....not so sure about a boost increase from this mod though, especially if the intake still has such a vacuum in it. I think there is more to a measured boost reading change from pull to pull, especially with a stock tune in it.

btw, I do have a Halltech intake on my car (thanks Ben@WeaponX) so I am not pooping on them, I love the intake! And if this mod does indeed make such a difference, I will certainly purchase one.
Ah the voice of reason. Thank you. I searched the forum and 30hp per psi is all that was mentioned. It did seem a little ridiculous I'll admit. I'm still very excited to see where this product goes.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Ah the voice of reason. Thank you. I searched the forum and 30hp per psi is all that was mentioned. It did seem a little ridiculous I'll admit. I'm still very excited to see where this product goes.
I think it's more than that. I added the IW 9% pulley to my car, with NO OTHER CHANGES it gained 25 RWHP peak, and 50 rwhp at 3,500 rpm. That's from a one pound gain of boost, peak, 1.7 PSI at 3,500 rpm. This is on a car that already had the Halltech CKNZ, which gained me 40 RWHP SAE from stock, with no tune.

The following users liked this post:
Ben@WeaponX (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
I think it's more than that. I added the IW 9% pulley to my car, with NO OTHER CHANGES it gained 25 RWHP peak, and 50 rwhp at 3,500 rpm. That's from a one pound gain of boost, peak, 1.7 PSI at 3,500 rpm. This is on a car that already had the Halltech CKNZ, which gained me 40 RWHP SAE from stock, with no tune.
Do you have the exact weather data for both runs? It's an impressive difference for sure and not common.....however, and I don't mean to lay down any poop because maybe it is real, but with the inconsistency in the stock tune with minor differences in IAT, ECT, cat temp, etc etc it would be very interesting to see all of the data for both runs. The stock tune really seems to go from lion to kitten with no gray area. It almost seems we don't really know for sure what we will get when we mat the pedal on the stock tune. Airflow, pressure, temps, hp, etc are all based on physics and fairly standard, well tested calculations with the major variable in this thread being the inconsistent stock tune.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 05-25-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I agree 30 is high but I think 10bhp is a on the low side. Engine compression, blower efficiency, temps, etc all come into play but comparing something close in engine and blower size - On other platforms like a gen2 CTS V with a 1.9L blower, jumping up 3psi with a 2.5 pulley and a tune is good for approx 80whp and about 30-35whp is from the tune. That would leave approx 16whp per psi and that engine has lower compression than the LT4.

Disclaimer for the bench racers - Not trying to sell anything here or open up another debate with the Akra trolls on here that don't know anything like the last informative thread. LOL These results have also been proven time and again by shops all over on that platform.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
I agree 30 is high but I think 10bhp is a on the low side. Engine compression, blower efficiency, temps, etc all come into play but comparing something close in engine and blower size - On other platforms like a gen2 CTS V with a 1.9L blower, jumping up 3psi with a 2.5 pulley and a tune is good for approx 80whp and about 30-35whp is from the tune. That would leave approx 16whp per psi and that engine has lower compression than the LT4.

Disclaimer for the bench racers - Not trying to sell anything here or open up another debate with the Akra trolls on here that don't know anything like the last informative thread. LOL These results have also been proven time and again by shops all over on that platform.
i could go 15 depending on application for sure.
Ben@WeaponX (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:38 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Do you have the exact weather data for both runs? It's an impressive difference for sure and not common.....however, and I don't mean to lay down any poop because maybe it is real, but with the inconsistency in the stock tune with minor differences in IAT, ECT, cat temp, etc etc it would be very interesting to see all of the data for both runs. The stock tune really seems to go from lion to kitten with no gray area. It almost seems we don't really know for sure what we will get when we mat the pedal on the stock tune. Airflow, pressure, temps, hp, etc are all based on physics and fairly standard, well tested calculations with the major variable in this thread being the inconsistent stock tune.

From the dynojet data log:

Stock pulley: 73.98 *f, 24.46 in hg, 10% humidity, SAE: 1.23

With 9% pulley: 78.14*f, 24.52 in hg, 25% humidity, SAE: 1.24

Both of those runs were after a 5 min cooldown, ECT was in the 190's.

We also did 5 runs with a stock Z, and they all were within 5 SAE rwhp. VERY CONSISTENT.
The following 2 users liked this post by 6Speeder:
Ben@WeaponX (05-25-2016), Higgs Boson (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Footnote

Just a footnote on my screenshots.

I have never tuned our car, which I stated earlier, but the important thing to take away from my HPTuner scans is that we have 7200 miles on our C7 Z06 and have had our Stinger CFV onboard from January 2015 until May 2015, and the same Stinger-RZ (rotomold version) from May 2015 to date.

There has been some talk about the Halltech losing the power gained once the ECU adapts to the intake. That is pure nonsense, as my timing and power illustrates. No tricks, no octane boost, no restoring the LTFTs (which does seem to bump up dyno pulls), no nothing but our intake and the new TRIC Ram Air system.

I drive in Touring Mode all the time because I like the attenuated exhaust note. I have a real temptation to install the Akra Exhaust system, but in order to show results that compare to the 90% that leave their car stock except for our intake, I have passed on this mod. Otherwise it would be onboard.

I drive the car hard, except when I am in town. We have many roads out here with exceptionally cool curves, and now that the weather is nicer (in the mid 80s) I have much more fun.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

That is a great gain; however, the AFR is not constant on this (if we're simply talking about gains per psi). When you're leaning the car out a little it is also making more power from less fuel - esp when the COT kicks in. Regardless, it is still cool to see and somewhat supports what I was saying about it being higher than 8hp but a lot less than 30hp of course too. Thanks!
JHEBERT (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM
Colonel
Drifting

Received 277 Likes on 186 Posts

"That is a great gain; however, the AFR is not constant on this"

Ben, it's only showing boost on the bottom graph unless I'm missing something.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 245 Posts

I usually see between 20-25 rwhp on average per pound of boost. Of course it's very combo dependent, for example if it's already way past peak compressor efficiency or is near the octane limit then it won't make as much as you increase boost. If it's basically stock and nowhere near the octane knock limit then it will make a bit more per psi. I see 20-25 rwhp per psi on pretty much every combo that isn't maxed out in one way or another however and that's going back to when we first supercharged and turbocharged the LSx platform back in 2001 to now on the LTx platform.

I'll also add that I want one of these ram air setups, they just plain work and I would love to do some testing on them since I have access to all equipment necessary to fully test this with a high speed air source to try to mimic airflow at speed on the dyno.

Last edited by NicD; 05-25-2016 at 11:13 AM.
383vett (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Colonel
"That is a great gain; however, the AFR is not constant on this"

Ben, it's only showing boost on the bottom graph unless I'm missing something.
He is saying that if it is the stock tune, as stated, for both runs then more airflow without a tune to correct fueling will result in a leaner AF ratio with the pulley (or intake or any other airflow enhancing modification). As rich as the stock tune is, leaner will mean more power so it's a variable not accounted for in the overall gain.

If 1 psi is 10-15 HP then the other 10-15 came from a leaner AF ratio.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Alaska SS
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
I just send off a PO to our mold manufacturer to complete the CAD program and get the mold going. It will be a cast mold due to all the shapes built into the part.

I estimate 7 weeks until completion.

Once I have a definitive date of completion, we can start taking deposits and develop a list.

Jim
Great news. As soon as the list opens i'll be on it. This is my 2nd Z, C6 and C7, and both have your CAI...love'em!!!!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

He is saying that if it is the stock tune, as stated, for both runs then more airflow without a tune to correct fueling will result in a leaner AF ratio with the pulley (or intake or any other airflow enhancing modification). As rich as the stock tune is, leaner will mean more power so it's a variable not accounted for in the overall gain.

If 1 psi is 10-15 HP then the other 10-15 came from a leaner AF ratio.
With the pulley it did run leaner, but not as much as some would think. The largest difference was 0.4 leaner, and both went super rich when COT kicked in, all the way below 11.0:1.

I don't believe a 0.4 change in A/F would give me 10-15 horsepower. As Nicd said I've done pulley swaps on other vehicles and generally saw 20+ rwhp gains per pound of boost.
383vett (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

With the pulley it did run leaner, but not as much as some would think. The largest difference was 0.4 leaner, and both went super rich when COT kicked in, all the way below 11.0:1.

I don't believe a 0.4 change in A/F would give me 10-15 horsepower. As Nicd said I've done pulley swaps on other vehicles and generally saw 20+ rwhp gains per pound of boost.
That's really good and a testament to our motors, imo. I do think that a half point AF can easily provide a 10 HP bump though. As we know, it all depends on where we started.

Get notified of new replies

To NEW: Halltech Ram Air System for Z06

Old 05-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Colonel
Drifting

Received 277 Likes on 186 Posts

Ahh, gotcha Higgs. Thanks. I agree that we'd need to confirm the AFR to be the same to narrow it down to just the increase in boost supplying the increased power.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:48 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Jim, I'm loving my Halltech CAI and I might be interested in this piece as well once we see numbers at the drag strip. My question is how difficult will the install be? Any cutting required? Thanks for all of your hard work!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:24 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Jim, I'm loving my Halltech CAI and I might be interested in this piece as well once we see numbers at the drag strip. My question is how difficult will the install be? Any cutting required? Thanks for all of your hard work!

Glad to you are off the "it will slow back down wagon" touted by a few that never left the station. Positive gain that lasts!
I love mine as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEW: Halltech Ram Air System for Z06