C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bent a wheel on track..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:44 PM
One Curve at a time
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bent a wheel at the track..

Yes, sh$t does happen!

My front right wheel is now bent.

My mechanic was able to balance it at “0” but it was wobbling enough that I could easily see it on the machine..

Has anyone did a successful repair on a wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by One Curve at a time; 05-05-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-05-2016, 03:31 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Buy a new one...especially if you're tracking it. How'd you bend it on track?
Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM
One Curve at a time
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Buy a new one...especially if you're tracking it. How'd you bend it on track?
Too fast entering the 'S'... had to shortcut the second portion, right wheel into grass but centrifugal force made it's work and my front right wheel, which was by then outside the curb into a 4" drop in the grass, couldn't stay in the rumble strips...

Now the inside wheel is bent...
Old 05-06-2016, 12:41 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

That sucks. Let me know if you want to sell the bent wheel. I use them for "projects".
Old 05-06-2016, 01:21 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by One Curve at a time
Too fast entering the 'S'... had to shortcut the second portion, right wheel into grass but centrifugal force made it's work and my front right wheel, which was by then outside the curb into a 4" drop in the grass, couldn't stay in the rumble strips...

Did not know tracks had curbs? How does that work?
Old 05-06-2016, 01:32 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Sebring turn 7. Huge curb. They're out there. But I think he's talking about the rumble strips.

Last edited by spearfish25; 05-06-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Sebring turn 7. Huge curb. They're out there. But I think he's talking about the rumble strips.
Cannot see why a curb would be on any track. But I don't see where taking a car (esp a new Z06) around the same track wearing out tires and brakes. Risking other damage from other cars. Getting wheel spray from your car and other cars. All while your not getting any benefit but plenty of drawbacks
and costs. Then when your done nobody wants to buy the car.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:58 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Cannot see why a curb would be on any track. But I don't see where taking a car (esp a new Z06) around the same track wearing out tires and brakes. Risking other damage from other cars. Getting wheel spray from your car and other cars. All while your not getting any benefit but plenty of drawbacks
It sounds like you've never driven on track and experienced what a rush it is. One can flip your opinion and say that it makes no sense to spend $80-100k on a car that sits in the garage and drives around public roads when it's capable of so much more. Such a driver only experiences 20% of what the machine was made to do.

The curb at Sebring is to stop racers from short-cutting the course.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

It sounds like you've never driven on track and experienced what a rush it is. One can flip your opinion and say that it makes no sense to spend $80-100k on a car that sits in the garage and drives around public roads when it's capable of so much more. Such a driver only experiences 20% of what the machine was made to do.

The curb at Sebring is to stop racers from short-cutting the course.
You have be to kidding? I have had a ton of experience driving in all aspects. For one your 80-100k Corvette is 98 or more percent street used. IT IS NOT MADE FOR FULL TRACK USE.

Cannot be more than even 1-2 percent end up on the track and they are not a REAL track car. With out aftermarket mods they will not hold up or last long.

Your in a small minority if you hussle your new Z06 to the track. So not worth it or the rush
to me but everyone is different. I have been in a ton of street races with cars as well as bikes. Even dirt bikes.
There is also a larger minority of Z06 street cars that are driven very hard as well.
There are guys driving and modding these cars hard on the street as well that are not seeing a race track.

Street car first and for most period. My car has 18k and climbing in 14 months.
Not sitting around a lot. It sees a lot more than 20 percent of what it can do as well.

For instance in my C6 I hit a curve at 140 mph to find out the stock base springs shocks and sways
were way too light and didn't belong on the car. That curve was just as hairy and just as hard as most any track curve.

You can do this with a base C7 and find out it lacks as well. My car gets pressed hard at times. I know how capable it is with out going to the track.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 05-06-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:50 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

You have be to kidding? I have had a ton of experience driving in all aspects. For one your 80-100k Corvette is 98 or more percent street used. IT IS NOT MADE FOR FULL TRACK USE.

Cannot be more than even 1-2 percent end up on the track and they are not a REAL track car. With out aftermarket mods they will not hold up or last long.

Your in a small minority if you hussle your new Z06 to the track. So not worth it or the rush
to me but everyone is different. I have been in a ton of street races with cars as well as bikes. Even dirt bikes. Doens

Not sitting around a lot. It sees a lot more than 20 percent of what it can do as well.

For instance in my C6 I hit a curve at 140 mph to find out the stock base springs shocks and sways
were way too light and didn't belong on the car. That curve was just as hairy and just as hard as most any track curve.

You can do this with a base C7 and find out it lacks as well. My car gets pressed hard at times. I know how capable it is with out going to the track.
This thread was solely about the OPs bent wheel and his repair/replace options. You came along and had to interject opinions about whether the car should be used on track or where curbs belong. Plenty of people enjoy their Z06s on track in HPDEs. Plenty do not. No one said it's a race car. Let's get back on topic.

Last edited by spearfish25; 05-06-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:44 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Yes, sh$t does happen!

My front right wheel is now bent.

My mechanic was able to balance it at “0” but it was wobbling enough that I could easily see it on the machine..

Has anyone did a successful repair on a wheel?

Thanks in advance.
Many times - since I live here in Quebec. Victor @ Exact Wheel (514) 683-6999. He's great and can probably help you. Not expensive either. Tell him you spoke to Steve, the guy with the white Ford GT. He knows me well!
The following users liked this post:
One Curve at a time (05-08-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 03:59 PM
mxk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

to me but everyone is different. I have been in a ton of street races with cars as well as bikes. Even dirt bikes.
There is also a larger minority of Z06 street cars that are driven very hard as well.
There are guys driving and modding these cars hard on the street as well that are not seeing a race track.

You funny.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

OP, I have a slightly bent Speedline on the back of my Z, its out about 3 to 4 thousands out that you can see on the balancer too. Ran it this weekend and no vibrations at 140+.... on a track where its safe! There are solutions to check for cracks if you want to try using it.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

This thread was solely about the OPs bent wheel and his repair/replace options. You came along and had to interject opinions about whether the car should be used on track or where curbs belong. Plenty of people enjoy their Z06s on track in HPDEs. Plenty do not. No one said it's a race car. Let's get back on topic.
Well said, since I was going to post the same comment and you beat me to it and lets get back to the original topic. My bent rims are getting replaced with new ones since there is no guarantee if they are straightened.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Ohhhhhhh GOD....can someone get this guy some rehab...
Old 05-07-2016, 12:43 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Somebody struck a nerve
Old 05-07-2016, 12:54 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

^Yeah...about 13,026 post ago and ever post afterward...i.e. when he joined.

Get notified of new replies

To Bent a wheel on track..

Old 05-07-2016, 01:30 AM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Odd post.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:12 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

My thoughts on any car that gets tracked is simply don't cut any safety corners. If you look at a worn brake pad and think 'is that too worn?' then replace it. So with a bent wheel, once you question its integrity it's time to replace it. Street driving is far less stressful for the car so if you get a good repair maybe some day it can be a separate set of wheels for street tires.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:22 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Damn. Sorry to hear this...these wheels aren't inexpensive.

I'm feeling better about the wheel package I bought from the dealer that covers this exact scenario.

I know most dealers have a few guys on speed dial that repair wheels on the spot, if it isn't chromed, this might be an option. See if your salesman will squeak the info to you to bypass the dealer markup.

Quick Reply: Bent a wheel on track..