C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZO6 Motor Tags

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:48 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Don't get so hot, 1 Hot 07, maybe this can clear up the argument. You recall in my comments I said..."Tonawanda did at one time build Z06 engines, but that policy was changed a while back." I also said it wasn't yesterday and I wasn't sure when that policy was changed. I'm not agreeing that engines for the Z06 w/ the Z07 option were the only engines built in B/G, but today, All the Z06 engines are built in B/G and that all of these Z06 engines are identical. I believe the 2015's and the earlier 2016's could have come from either Tonowanda or B/G, but that is not the case today or yesterday or whenever that change was made by GM. Many Corvette Z06 engines for the "base" Z06 have been built in B/G, and all of the engines for these non Z07 optioned cars, where the new owner paid $5000 to help build the engine, were built in B/G. Check this out....have a nice day.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...bowling-green/
The following users liked this post:
1 HOT 07 (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 10:02 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I would completely agreed with this, except you really don't have a Z07 engine, you really have a Z06 engine in a Corvette Z06 with the Z07 suspension/track option....is that not correct? I don't believe there is a Corvette Z07 model or engine being built as of this date, or am I wrong? The comments made that we are questioning simply say.... "the ZO7 motors were hand built by one person in the Bowling Green Performance Center. Non-ZO7 motors were hand built by a Team in the Tonawanda plant." My comments would clearly suggest this statement is complete BS......the Z06 model Corvette whether it has the Z07 option or not, has an engine that was assembled (built) in B/G. Tonawanda did at one time build Z06 engines, but that policy was changed a while back.
I did some research and found out that as of May 1, 2016 all ZO6 engines are being built in Bowling Green and hand assembled by one person. Before May 1st it was as I suggested. So in a way we are both right, it is just more recent than you may have thought.

PS Just caught your response, not sure if your latest comment is a reference to my screen name, if so, pretty funny....if not, I wasn't hot, but a little surprised by your BS comment....and thanks I will have a nice day....you too....we have awesome cars. Also, the article you listed is the same one I read for my comment above.

Last edited by 1 HOT 07; 05-11-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Added more to comment.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

...........of course. Now if someone could tell me what a Corvette Z07 is and what the "Z07 motor" is. And while we're at it, a motor is run by electricity and an engine is run by fuel and air combustion.....but people seem to like interchanging those two words. And maybe that's the same thing as the Corvette Z07 (not a Z06) and the Z07 engine (not a Z06 engine)....it's all creative lingo, I guess.....
Old 05-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan4523
I did the engine build in September of last year. Had this exact conversation at lunch with a few of the people there. Only Engine build and Z07 Models are built in the performance build center. The rest are made in Tonowanda. I asked why and they said it had to do with justifying the increased price for the package and keeping the jobs at the plant. There is no difference in motor at all.
The Z07 is a track package and calls for higher tolerance of the engine as its design to get more abuse. It's the same exactly engine built by hand like all performance cars like Porsche, Ferrari etc.
I think again GM has played the extremely successful game of Porsche and the likes and more power to them, Just GM forget to tell the world and brag about it!!! My name plate of the performance builder is hidden just like the picture a few post above, almost Mr Walker was not so proud on putting his name on it (just kidding, thank you for building a World's class track weapon)

My Z07 was built Fall of 2014 and I have never had one heat sinc issue with over 20 track days on the car and 10,000 miles...knock on wood!

Last edited by Theo Harris; 05-11-2016 at 11:08 PM.
1 HOT 07 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 12:33 AM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
...........of course. Now if someone could tell me what a Corvette Z07 is and what the "Z07 motor" is. And while we're at it, a motor is run by electricity and an engine is run by fuel and air combustion.....but people seem to like interchanging those two words. And maybe that's the same thing as the Corvette Z07 (not a Z06) and the Z07 engine (not a Z06 engine)....it's all creative lingo, I guess.....
Did you take the OP to task for starting a thread that is entitled ZO6 "Motor" Tags.....NO you didn't. You must have some serious shortcomings to get so bent out of shape over the use of words that have been interchangeable since drag racing started.... You sure have made a big deal out this simple little thread that is about engine builder tags, for what reason, I can't even begin to guess. Unless it is that you were wrong about LT4s being built in two different locations until just less than two weeks ago. By the Way, I, along with most people here know that the Engine in a ZO6/ZO7 is an LT4 and not different than other ZO6's. Not sure what warranted the Flames in your posts.

Last edited by 1 HOT 07; 05-12-2016 at 12:50 AM.
point5 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 AM
tzoid9
Drifting

You make me laugh! Don't be so cranky when I mentioned the article...way too sensitive! And I'm sure you have seen Mr. Harris's post above, he's got a special Z07 engine in his Corvette Z07. This Forum has been a joy to read and get answers to questions. My little motor/ engine comment is as simple as stated...in fact, the "motor vs. engine" comment became popular with NASCAR...those guys have been calling it a motor forever! Lighten up guy, enjoy the forum for what it is, exchanges of info, stories and guys talking about what cars they own, how big their house(s) are, etc. Keep it in perspective, no flames ever intended or were ever thrown. I'm betting that many of the owners feel that their car is special, just like I do. Fact is, except for options, they're pretty much all the same. I do really like the car, traded a like new GTR in on mine. My Z06 is special...to me. But at the end of the day, they all started out, born the same way. Pretty car....hope it stays that way.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Re: the date that LT4s began to be built at the PBC:

I asked an engineer at this year's Bash, and he told me that while the official policy just changed which mandates that all LT4 engines will now be built at the PBC, in actuality they all began being built at the PBC many months ago. He didn't have a specific date, he would only say "for quite some time".

So it's not like they flipped a switch on May 1st. It's been happening for a while and GM just chose to announce it officially recently.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

OK, The Gretz, now where the H were you when I has getting my butt peeled and threatened with being burned at the stake for heresy? Just kidding, it wasn't that bad, but it was getting interesting for a time. My information (which wasn't in writing, but through a friend who retired from GM) said that they were trying to build all the Z06 engines in B/G and had that directive from high management, since last Fall, to run the production that way. H*ll, Tonawanda was building Corvette engines in the 60's when I went to high school, I grew up in Buffalo. Glad you chimed in, now maybe I won't get disowned...HA!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad I could help (late)

I know Buffalo very well and still have a lot of family there. They build great engines in Tonawanda, but I'd definitely prefer one hand built by one person in the PBC!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:53 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Agree 100% on Buffalo sentiment and B/G, as well....but now it says Gulf Port. Interviewed for a job very close to Gulfport (Delise, MS) and fell in love with Gulf Port. Changed my mind after Katrina like to wipe out the place!

Quick Reply: ZO6 Motor Tags