C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

WTF.... service brakes worn

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I have been told that the front brake wear sensors aren't sold separately, only with the brake pads. Which pisses me off since my sensors are shot and I still have decent amounts of front brake pad left.

Bish
Hey Bish, MartyBMW ^ got his replaced under warranty, cheap fix.... new pads. Worth the try and has me thinking as I have had the same issue at the track.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (05-08-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MindBend
Anyone trying aftermarket pads? PF? Hawk?
It is my understanding that Spring Mountain (Ron Fellows school) uses Hawk pads for all their school corvettes when the factory pads wear out.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:15 PM
fossac
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Sensor

I had the same warning light on my '15 Z06. It first started at 7k miles. I took it to the dealer who said there was a service bulletin that addressed the problem. They ordered new sensors for both front brakes. Never had a problem since. That was 6 months ago. The tech that worked on it said it was the 3rd brake sensor replacement he'd done in the past 30 days. Must be a semi-common problem.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Lrn2Swm
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Teri9672
I have done ZERO track days. I use mine as DD

I get the same error. GM could not duplicate code so they sent me on my way. I still get the message.

I do not track.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:26 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by fossac
I had the same warning light on my '15 Z06. It first started at 7k miles. I took it to the dealer who said there was a service bulletin that addressed the problem. They ordered new sensors for both front brakes. Never had a problem since. That was 6 months ago. The tech that worked on it said it was the 3rd brake sensor replacement he'd done in the past 30 days. Must be a semi-common problem.
Could you look at your invoice an post the part numbers they installed for the new sensors?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Could you look at your invoice an post the part numbers they installed for the new sensors?
There is a GM part number, but you cannot buy the sensor alone. You have to buy pads to get the sensors. My GM parts guy said when you look up the part number on the sensors it is listed as not available.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:47 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
There is a GM part number, but you cannot buy the sensor alone. You have to buy pads to get the sensors. My GM parts guy said when you look up the part number on the sensors it is listed as not available.
Perhaps his repair used a different part number. If the dealer can order it for a repair, its available. That is why I asked. Not the first time GM gave a dealer a part number that was not shown in the parts lookup. Happens all the time in service bulletins.

Last edited by jcthorne; 05-12-2017 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Perhaps his repair used a different part number. If the dealer can order it for a repair, its available. That is why I asked. Not the first time GM gave a dealer a part number that was not shown in the parts lookup. Happens all the time in service bulletins.
hopefully he will reply with updated info.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:20 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I stopped this message from coming up, as I posted earlier it is a continuous loop that goes out and goes through all 4 brake pad sensors and back. I had ohmed both the front and rear sensors and could not find an open, I even wiggled and tugged on them and they never opened. On a hunch I simply bypassed the front pad sensors. I disconnected the front sensors at the harness to get better access to them and simply jumped the 2 wires together just before where the sensors plugged into the harness to eliminate as much of the sensors wiring as possible, and then just plugged the sensors back into the factory harness connector. This does not effect the rest of the wiring harness on the car, only the pad sensors. No reason to buy a $700.00 set of pads just to stop the light unless of course you can get them warrantied. If you keep an eye on your brake pads (as you should) there is no need for the sensors. When it comes time for me to replace the front pads they will come with new sensors anyway. I have driven the car several times after this and no more annoying light!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 AM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I stopped this message from coming up, as I posted earlier it is a continuous loop that goes out and goes through all 4 brake pad sensors and back. I had ohmed both the front and rear sensors and could not find an open, I even wiggled and tugged on them and they never opened. On a hunch I simply bypassed the front pad sensors. I disconnected the front sensors at the harness to get better access to them and simply jumped the 2 wires together just before where the sensors plugged into the harness to eliminate as much of the sensors wiring as possible, and then just plugged the sensors back into the factory harness connector. This does not effect the rest of the wiring harness on the car, only the pad sensors. No reason to buy a $700.00 set of pads just to stop the light unless of course you can get them warrantied. If you keep an eye on your brake pads (as you should) there is no need for the sensors. When it comes time for me to replace the front pads they will come with new sensors anyway. I have driven the car several times after this and no more annoying light!
Just bad sensors. My dealer knows about this issue and have replaced brand new pads for a few Z07 by the time I brought mine in.

All covered under the factory.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:56 AM
oshvette
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From my understanding, there is bulletin on this issue. I took mine in with the service brakes message at 7,000 miles. Dealer installed new set of pads under warranty. It is definitely a faulty sensor problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:07 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Deity.Motorsports
Just bad sensors. My dealer knows about this issue and have replaced brand new pads for a few Z07 by the time I brought mine in.

All covered under the factory.
Originally Posted by oshvette
From my understanding, there is bulletin on this issue. I took mine in with the service brakes message at 7,000 miles. Dealer installed new set of pads under warranty. It is definitely a faulty sensor problem.
Thank you that's good news
My car is modified and not sure if they would warranty it for me. I am just offering an alternative to getting rid of the light.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:12 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

FWIW I took the car to the dealer for this issue. My car is a Z07 with 41k miles.

They replaced the Electronic Brake Control Module saying it had an internal short. They did it under warranty too. Part # 22782245

Best,
Gene
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (08-24-2018)

Quick Reply: WTF.... service brakes worn