C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Front Cameras...how to turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 01:41 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Front Cameras...how to turn on?

The pair of front cameras, for me, are really useful when pulling into a parking space that has a concrete barrier at the front of it. Banging up that front nose of my new Z06 is something I'd like to avoid, forever, if that's even possible! I know the front cameras turn on briefly after shifting out of reverse (M7 car) and have read the owner's manual which says....
"The front view shows after shifting
from R (Reverse) to a forward gear,
or by pressing CAMERA in the
center stack, and when the vehicle
is moving forward slower than
8 km/h (5 mph)."

My question is, where is the CAMERA selection they are referencing...I can't find it in the center stack? Thanks for any help!
Old 05-14-2016, 01:54 PM
randuff
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

If the car is equipped you will see the icon on the Nav screen display.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

you need to be in any of the functions like Radio or Nav for it to display. if you are on the Home app selection screen then the camera app is separate and on the second screen.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:01 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

thanks, guys, I rarely have anything turned on in that system, that appears to be why I haven't from the Camera selection. I'll play around with it and see if I can find it. Again, thanks to both of you for responding!
Old 05-14-2016, 03:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

No camera here and I'm on 4th spoiler just put on. The other 3 are toast all ready.
But I have 2015 and drive it a lot and one was letting someone else drive for 2 blocks and one from an free oil change that cost a spoiler not quite free.

I might add one can be super careful but **** happens.
That's why I prefer stage 1. Cheap replacement I want to say 80 bucks but cannot remember for sure.
The ZR1 was not as much fun because you knew you couldn't screw-up
which I did fine with it but with much limited driving.

No more owning a car to limit the driving.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 05-14-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

I use the camera literally every time I park and it works GREAT. Very happy about the camera, lol.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:29 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
you need to be in any of the functions like Radio or Nav for it to display. if you are on the Home app selection screen then the camera app is separate and on the second screen.
The easiest way I've found to have a consistent repeatable sequence to bring up the camera is as follows:
1) Move the camera icon from the second screen to the first screen in place of one of the others you don't use regularly. To do this, press and hold an icon on the second screen until you see a message that says you're in edit mode (recalling from memory here). Then drag the camera icon to the left and off the screen, which will move it to the first screen. Don't recall if an icon from screen 1 needs to first be moved to screen 2 to create a space or not. You can also reposition icons to your liking at this point.
2) Anytime you're parking and want to view via the camera (regardless of whether you're in NAV mode or whatever) first press the home button, then press the camera icon.

Hope this helps.
Ernie

Last edited by ErnieD; 05-14-2016 at 04:41 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ErnieD:
Colonel (05-15-2016), HighBeta (05-15-2016), Is2scooby (05-14-2016), SpeedyD (07-18-2016), USMCVader (05-16-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

yes you can do that, but I am never on my home screen anyways. lots of ways to do it, good advice!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Chuckyt1
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, the easiest way seems to be to just pop it in and out of reverse. I have an 8' wide gas curb in my garage and use the camera every time.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Starfire667
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckyt1
For me, the easiest way seems to be to just pop it in and out of reverse. I have an 8' wide gas curb in my garage and use the camera every time.
You can also store the "camera" function in the quick select bar at the bottom of the screen like a radio station. That's what I did to avoid having to move the app from the second screen.

Cheers.
The following 5 users liked this post by Starfire667:
Chuckyt1 (05-14-2016), Colonel (05-15-2016), Fastmikefree (05-15-2016), JWingo (05-14-2016), USMCVader (05-16-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:00 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckyt1
That's exactly what I do...and I learned a long time ago from my cop buddy to NEVER park frontwards in a spot. I always back into the spot. Many of my vehicles have at least rearview cams, if not forward cams...so that takes care of rear under-bumper damage issues.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Chuckyt1
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Starfire667
You can also store the "camera" function in the quick select bar at the bottom of the screen like a radio station. That's what I did to avoid having to move the app from the second screen.

Cheers.
I'll have to try this. Only problem is that I'm usually in CarPlay when out and about.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:49 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
That's exactly what I do...and I learned a long time ago from my cop buddy to NEVER park frontwards in a spot. I always back into the spot. Many of my vehicles have at least rearview cams, if not forward cams...so that takes care of rear under-bumper damage issues.
Sometimes you cannot back into a spot!
You have to park forward in many cases you may want to enlighten your buddy!
Cops like to back in so they can pull you over but real life rule is never back more than you have to.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 05-14-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:32 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieD
The easiest way I've found to have a consistent repeatable sequence to bring up the camera is as follows:
1) Move the camera icon from the second screen to the first screen in place of one of the others you don't use regularly. To do this, press and hold an icon on the second screen until you see a message that says you're in edit mode (recalling from memory here). Then drag the camera icon to the left and off the screen, which will move it to the first screen. Don't recall if an icon from screen 1 needs to first be moved to screen 2 to create a space or not. You can also reposition icons to your liking at this point.
2) Anytime you're parking and want to view via the camera (regardless of whether you're in NAV mode or whatever) first press the home button, then press the camera icon.

Hope this helps.
Ernie
How does it work with an automatic.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:25 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Originally Posted by robertbruce
How does it work with an automatic.
My car is an M7, but don't think the autos should be any different.

Ernie
Old 05-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Vetteman2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Cops like to back in so they can pull you over but real life rule is never back more than you have to.

Yep
Old 05-15-2016, 05:27 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think you're referring to a parallel park. I was referring to a non-parallel park. And it's pretty much always possible to pull in backwards as it is forwards.

The real reason they do that, is because when they have to leave, they can get out fast, in the event they have to. Since I learned that, I have always pulled in backwards. The upside to that is no curb rash on the front spoiler!

Get notified of new replies

To Front Cameras...how to turn on?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:03 AM
tzoid9
Drifting

Hope this helps.
Ernie
I most likely will have to go next store and get the 11 year old kid to help me with this...yikes! I probably favor this idea of yours first, and the "quick select button" idea second, simply because I haven't even a clue how to do the quick select! Your idea would put the Camera icon on the home screen, which is usually up when I drive this car....which has been a huge amount since I picked it up a week before Easter. It has all of 748 miles on it...that's what you get when you live in the sh*t weather that western PA has been experiencing....been almost 4 weeks of rainy weather! Freeze warnings tonight, believe it or not! Thanks EVERYONE for being as helpful as you all have been!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:08 AM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Left swipe the screen as you do your cellphone.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Hope this helps.
Ernie
Your information worked perfectly....THANKS! I had to move one of the icons off page 1 of the Home Page before moving the Camera icon to page 1. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain the solution.

Quick Reply: Front Cameras...how to turn on?