C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Car and Driver predicts this about the mid-engine Corvette

Old 05-16-2016, 07:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Hmm, then it's more likely than I thought we'll see production.

The selling point for me will be a manual transmission. Bring it for the C8 chevy!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZ
Exactly.. no more Porsche launching ahead with less power than the Z. It would be deadly if this monster can take off at full throttle without significant wheel spin.
That would be great. Let me ask this though, how many guys what to have great traction 24/7 (with the weight) or just really want that traction at launch? I was watching a video on the new LaFerrai and damn that thing is RWD with a v12 and like another 200 hp in electric, with more power then the Porsche and with LC you can do 0-60 in the same time as a 918! I don't really know either! AWD would be nice but come with the added weight, RWD with an awesome LC would probably be enough for me. I personally think hybrids will be the long term performance cars, gets you great effiecency but no waiting and planning around charging your car.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Typical 0-60 tests hide two things, repeatability and ideal conditions. AWD will get you the shortest 0-60 in any conditions, but especially shorter than 2WD in less than ideal conditions. So sure, some 1,000hp rear wheel drive car in ideal situations that one time in a hundred will almost match the best 4wd time, but 99 in 100 times it will be faster. That's the more important comparison.

That said, the E-ray doesn't interest me. The mid-level 4 cam model would be the best driving experience. High RPM, high power, 2WD, mid-engine = perfect recipe.

I'm not even that excited about the extra traction. I'm more excited about the steering feel with less weight upfront.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 05-16-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Typical 0-60 tests hide two things, repeatability and ideal conditions. AWD will get you the shortest 0-60 in any conditions, but especially shorter than 2WD in less than ideal conditions. So sure, some 1,000hp rear wheel drive car in ideal situations that one time in a hundred will almost match the best 4wd time, but 99 in 100 times it will be faster. That's the more important comparison.

That said, the E-ray doesn't interest me. The mid-level 4 cam model would be the best driving experience. High RPM, high power, 2WD, mid-engine = perfect recipe.

I'm not even that excited about the extra traction. I'm more excited about the steering feel with less weight upfront.
Go watch motortrends review of the LaFerrai they repeat 0-60 in 2.4/2.5 seconds like 5 or 6 times! I think the e-Ray could be a 4 cam C8 with electric. So like 750-800 hp combined.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
Go watch motortrends review of the LaFerrai they repeat 0-60 in 2.4/2.5 seconds like 5 or 6 times! I think the e-Ray could be a 4 cam C8 with electric. So like 750-800 hp combined.
Ok, I see what you mean, the numbers are low every time.
How would it look like if the LaFerrari was AWD by comparison?
How would it look like if the tires are not perfect but have 5,000 miles on them? When you rely on two tires vs. four things like delamination will make a huge difference.
How would it look like if the pavement is not perfect? pot-holes, sandy, various ridges, cold, wet, etc.

Perhaps with the hybrid tech and electronics Ferrari managed to make the power delivery more predictable but that is only a small subset of the conditions you need for a perfect launch.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 05-16-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Ok, I see what you mean, the numbers are low every time.
How would it look like if the LaFerrari was AWD by comparison?
How would it look like if the tires are not perfect but have 5,000 miles on them? When you rely on two tires vs. four things like delamination will make a huge difference.
How would it look like if the pavement is not perfect? pot-holes, sandy, various ridges, cold, wet, etc.

Perhaps with the hybrid tech and electronics Ferrari managed to make the power delivery more predictable but that is only a small subset of the conditions you need for a perfect launch.
Oh absolutely, kinda why I pose the question. Obviously if they went AWD it would be heavier and balance would be different. I'm sure the Ferrari has a ton of computer engineering going on to keep repeating that launch.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

I'm pretty sure electric motor driven front wheels results in an AWD system that is substantially lighter and more compact than the ATTESA in the GTR. The real question is, do you need batteries on board to make it work? I'm not well versed in these types of hybrid drives, but both the Porsche and Acura hybrids use batteries on board. Perhaps GM can make a version that does not have storage for the energy.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:57 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZ
Wild! I'm personally looking forward to a 32 valve 4 cam motor similar to the C4 ZR-1.
This.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
It would not displace the stingray, it'd be a ZR-1 or something on top of the model line, one would have to imagine. A halo car, whatever.

With 50/50 distribution now I don't need more power or better balance, I need more traction . I'd pony up for my motor in an AWD chassis (so long as it wasn't 600lbs heavier) but I don't really care where the motor sits, other than they look cool under glass.
and this.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 05-16-2016 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 05-16-2016, 11:29 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like we will see a mid engine, The current platform is maxed out. I hope they build it although it looks just like my F430.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:54 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 301 Likes on 138 Posts

It's unlikely that GM will jettison the C7 platform only 4-5 years into production. GM want's to maximize the ROI on this model as each generation costs quite a bit to develop. It is possible GM is going to dip their tow in the water and see how a high performance halo car sells before transitioning the C8 to mid engine design. A few observations:

1. Notice how the C7 frame is now more modular when compared to the C5 and C6 hydroformed frame by being welded into substructures? This could have been intentional to allow for a bit more flexibility while maintaining common parts to reduce costs.

2. The new "paint shop" at BG is a fairly large upgrade to the factory. Even if the new area is completely dedicated to paint, there is a great deal of new space when the old paint area moves. It is unlikely that they will not do something with this space.

3. As the prior poster noted, the current platform is probably very close to maxed out. To get another 5-10 mph in the quarter mile while maintaining the existing handling characteristics of the car, more weight needs to be centered closer to the drive wheels or an AWD vette needs to be built.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:04 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Great questions about traction, hybrid, and 4 wheel drive tech.

As a race and exotics fan, here are my 2 pennies:
1) Great traction is not a question of AWD vs. RWD.
There are many RWD high HP cars with great traction (for example, the ACR).

Traction itself is really a combination of things: power, tires, suspension, downforce, electronics.
As far as I can tell, it isn't the Z's tires that come up short, it's the rear suspension or the electronics or both.
The Z06 simply can't handle the power of the engine as well as it should.
Having all of the HP and torque in the world does nothing if it can't be utilized at the point where the rubber meets the road.

2) Hybrids are the short-term future of cars.
There are a number of ways to harvest hybrid power from the typical car drivetrain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_vehicle_drivetrain

3) AWD is NOT the only way to use hybrid tech...witness the McLaren P1 and the LaFerrari.

WEC and F1 are on the cutting edge and have shown remarkable ways to achieve this.
Most impressive is F1's use of hybrid RWD vehicles: 1.6L (!) V6 turbos with electric assist to achieve a total of around 1,000 HP...on RWD cars.
AND this amount of power is only limited by 100 kilos of fuel PER race (think about it....).

Last edited by sunsalem; 05-17-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:14 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Mid-engine rumors have been going on since well over a decade before I was born. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:22 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Would also think that GM will run the C7 for 6-7 model years, so until MY20 or 21. C6 was 9 years, C5 was 8 years, C4 was 13 years.
S.
The engine was different and more powerful last 5 years of the C4, so could be looked at as 8 years and 5 years.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:38 AM
TRT SR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 102 Posts

Good for Car & Driver.....really get the buzz going on the mid engine what ever it is. I heard from a engineer that the car will be like Porsche 918 with hybrid technology. GM is watching closely what Ford has done with the GT, but that would be easy to match, they have much invested in electric technolgy and for them to bring out the new car with super car looks, amazing performance with both V8 engine and hybrid at a price under $200K, now that is what the leader in the world production of cars and trucks does I am so happy that they made the Z06 at the price they did, my car has super car performance and looks at $90k, now that is something we all can enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
SyberSaint (05-19-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 08:18 AM
7.0ltrpower
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

... Corvette chassis maxed out?....

.... Corvette is just getting started....... O'Connell is driving a C7-R @
Le Mans!. And not w/ Corvette Racing.

C&D article may be the worst attempt for selling magazines I have seen of late. & MT...
Old 05-17-2016, 09:13 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I think the Higher priced mid engine AWD hybrid corvette will be a mistake...

I'm sure they will be great and they will sell out but I believe the halo product will detract from the from engine corvette and sales will falter for the base model..

Nobody wants to aspire to the base corvette if the image is all about a mid engine super car...

What do I know...its just my opinion...

The corvette brand is strong as it is ....creating a super car with mid engine ? For what?

As it is...the z06 is a track monster....

It eats the mclaren up on a road course i.e. vIR....

Just fix the cooling issues on the existing c7 ....

We don't need no stinkin mid engine hybrid...( half kidding but half speaking the truth)

I could have lived with out all the wheel spats and huge rear spoiler of the current c7 z06 z07 but it's a hell of a track monster....

Whose beating it on the track?

The ACR viper with an airplane spoiler out back? That's been cancelled for next year because no one wants the viper any more...

Mid engine vette to do battle with fords new GT is fine....would be cool if it killed the ford on the track and cost half as much....

Would make Chevy guys and automotive media chant the praise of corvette even louder....

Could help the brand overall....both Chevy and corvette...

I just know I won't be spending 200 grand on any car....

It's a ridiculous amount of money for a car....I don't care if it literally flys...

Jmo

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-17-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:11 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I think the Higher priced mid engine AWD hybrid corvette will be a mistake...

I'm sure they will be great and they will sell out but I believe the halo product will detract from the from engine corvette and sales will falter for the base model..

Nobody wants to aspire to the base corvette if the image is all about a mid engine super car...
You make a good point....and this is why it shouldn't be called a "Corvette."
Has to be something new to avoid the connection to a known product/image and reflect the revolutionary nature (for GM) of the vehicle.
Also, maybe it doesn't really belong with the Chevrolet brand, perhaps Cadillac would be better.

Get notified of new replies

To Car and Driver predicts this about the mid-engine Corvette

Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

People are still fixated on this piece of fiction?
Before it was "2017 models we promise!"
Now it's "2018 models we promise!"

The closest Corvette ever came to mid engine was the Aerovette in the 70s.
There is ALWAYS a mid engine test mule running around. 50s, 60s, 70s and yes even the 80s.
It'll never happen. Sheesh.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:25 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Don't let your emotional attachment to the current front/mid engine design sway you you into believing the rear/mid engine corvette is not coming. Car and Driver is only one of many magazines and websites talking about a mid/rear engine Corvette. GM has debated often that the car being discussed should be a Cadillac to increase it's status on a global scale as the GM technology leader, that could still be a possibility and the new mid/rear engine car be branded a Cadillac. How would you feel if that is the case? Would you sell your C7Z and buy a Caddy or add the Caddy to your garage? Mixed feelings I bet from a group that is so emotional and sensitive to these issues. GM will do what is best for GM in a global market that they want to be in much more so than they are in at present. You can bet that although GM has made blunders through the years they have most recently made remarkable improvements to the brand as a whole with many models best in class. The competition is not sitting still either and as time passes the lifetime of platforms will never again be like the C4, C5 and C6. Manufacturers must be aggressive to compete for market share rather than milk the last bit of juice out of a generation....that thought process is dead as Abraham Lincoln. It's more about potential market share lost without change.

There are none so blind as those who refuse to open their eyes.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Don't let your emotional attachment to the current front/mid engine design sway you you into believing the rear/mid engine corvette is not coming. Car and Driver is only one of many magazines and websites talking about a mid/rear engine Corvette. GM has debated often that the car being discussed should be a Cadillac to increase it's status on a global scale as the GM technology leader, that could still be a possibility and the new mid/rear engine car be branded a Cadillac. How would you feel if that is the case? Would you sell your C7Z and buy a Caddy or add the Caddy to your garage? Mixed feelings I bet from a group that is so emotional and sensitive to these issues. GM will do what is best for GM in a global market that they want to be in much more so than they are in at present. You can bet that although GM has made blunders through the years they have most recently made remarkable improvements to the brand as a whole with many models best in class. The competition is not sitting still either and as time passes the lifetime of platforms will never again be like the C4, C5 and C6. Manufacturers must be aggressive to compete for market share rather than milk the last bit of juice out of a generation....that thought process is dead as Abraham Lincoln. It's more about potential market share lost without change.

There are none so blind as those who refuse to open their eyes.
It's not really a question of blindness. GM already tried the mass produced Mid Rear car...or rather I should say Pontiac tried, and wasn't allowed by GM to succeed, because it would upset, and toss the vette in the garbage, had Pontiac been allowed to do what they had wanted with the Fiero in the first place.

That aside..I just don't see it in GM. The mags can talk all they like, remember when they were ALL saying the C7 would have a 5.5 or less DOHC V8?
They were all so convinced, and it never happened. Almost all of C&Ds predictions about the C7 panned out to be dead wrong in the end as well.

I just don't see GM producing a mid rear engine car. There's tons of time left on the table (just look at the ACR... if DODGE of all people can make a car that fast around a road course, GM definitely can), in the front mid engine, and more importantly...

Let's be honest, GM will not use any technology in the corvette that will not find it's way immediately or a couple of years down the road, in Pickups and Camaros. GM uses too many of the same parts, to really allow for a transaxled MR setup.

As far as Caddy goes... I can't see it with them either. I mean, I think Caddy would LOVE being given a green light for that. But GM protects the vette. The vette has to be the quickest of all their cars, and GM has a long and storied history of sabotaging efforts to dethrone it, or the engines that power it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car and Driver predicts this about the mid-engine Corvette