C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New Z06 non-Z07 without a LM engine builder plaque

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts
Default New Z06 non-Z07 without a LM engine builder plaque

So the word was that GM moved ALL Z06 engine production to the performance build area in Bowling Green making every Z06 engine starting in early May hand built. My build date was May 19. No builder plaque on the engine. Did they forgo the plaques or did I still get a robot motor from Kokolobongo (or whatever that silly town's name is)?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You mean GM Tonawanda? It may have been one of the last ones built there. I doubt it makes any difference. Instead of several people building the engine only one does it at the Corvette factory. They use the same tooling to do the job so they are all built the same way.

Here is a video showing how the Tonawanda plant built the LT4. Notice the similar tools. Just more people. They couldn't get a consistent quality between people and plants if they didn't use standard tools and build processes. The quality comes from the tools and processes and the care people put into their jobs.

http://bcove.me/tel2iy7t
Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-01-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: New Z06 non-Z07 without a LM engine builder plaque