C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech TRIC Tunnel Ram Induction Cold-air

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:50 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
We will ship out the high flow next week.

No charge.
That's very nice of you, Jim! Anxious to give it a try
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Jim,

I just purchased a VBOX Sport for testing and am going to head to Cecil County Dragway September 16th. Cecil County is notoriously a very fast track with great air. If I purchase the full shebang, as I'm currently stock, any way I can get everything a few days prior for install? Maybe get the CAI on sooner so I can put some miles on it and have it settle in and then send the TRIC a day or two before so I can get it into the car? Nothing would make me happier than getting some monster MPH timeslip posted here with your setup. Let me know. Good luck with the floor!

Track guys,

With a CAI is my car still considered stock by the tech at the track? I want to be able to run 9.99 and 135 or slower without a roll-bar as per the stock rule and not get thrown out for running faster than 11.5 with a "modded" car. I've already been thrown out of Cecil for running 11.2 in my C6Z on the first run before they had the stock rule.

Best,
Gene
Old 08-26-2016, 11:07 PM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Jim,

I just purchased a VBOX Sport for testing and am going to head to Cecil County Dragway September 16th. Cecil County is notoriously a very fast track with great air. If I purchase the full shebang, as I'm currently stock, any way I can get everything a few days prior for install? Maybe get the CAI on sooner so I can put some miles on it and have it settle in and then send the TRIC a day or two before so I can get it into the car? Nothing would make me happier than getting some monster MPH timeslip posted here with your setup. Let me know. Good luck with the floor!

Track guys,

With a CAI is my car still considered stock by the tech at the track? I want to be able to run 9.99 and 135 or slower without a roll-bar as per the stock rule and not get thrown out for running faster than 11.5 with a "modded" car. I've already been thrown out of Cecil for running 11.2 in my C6Z on the first run before they had the stock rule.

Best,
Gene
I don't think anyone would notice unless the tech knows what Halltech is. Some tracks allow CAI as the only mod and some don't. The NHRA actually races here at my track twice a year and they let me pass as stock. Made it fun having the CAI and my buddy having stock so I got to whip his butt all night . So bottom line I would try to pass as stock
Old 08-27-2016, 11:25 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default 15 more

We shipped 15 more yesterday. That leaves 12 or so to go out next week. We are going to have to put our shop back together after 4 days of floor work. Everything had to be moved into trailers, or outside and in our offices.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

The following users liked this post:
Bad Dad (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Another Test Finished

Production version of the TRIC testing results.

Yesterday, we went to the airport runway that we use for testing and logged another hour of hard running.

73 degrees
93 Octane
Stinger-RZ and the Production TRIC

IATs vs. Ambient temps were in parity most of the testing. IAT2 was +12 to 14F after hard runs.

KR minimal.

Peak Boost 12.1 PSI with most of the boost running around 11.7 PSI

We actually got a 4th gear run up to 144 mph, and found out that the limit of increased boost was at 122 mph (12.1 PSI)

Timing was at 26.5 degrees on most of the high rpm runs.

We'll post the screen shot Monday, once we get the log file on our shop computer.

We saw almost identical numbers when compared to the prototype log screen shot, except the IAT 1 was at parity with ambient for most of the logging. This could be due to the heat shielding placement.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:52 AM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Shop looks amazing Jim!!!!! Cant wait to see the HPT log file
Old 08-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

We shipped 15 more yesterday. That leaves 12 or so to go out next week. We are going to have to put our shop back together after 4 days of floor work. Everything had to be moved into trailers, or outside and in our offices.

Damit I want one of these
Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 AM
Nithros
St. Jude Partner since 89
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thank you for your offer to replace the red filter. Love your products and this just shows what kind of guy you are. I need the new filter and sent you an email with a copy of my invoice which has my address on it.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:55 PM
ernhart333
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
I am wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in feel or actual performance since installing their unit.

Maybe its just me but I cannot detect a difference (in feel) over the CAI alone. Any feedback?
At this point I would assume at least 30 members should have received and installed their TRIC's. A couple of us got ours installed with the "dry filter" and posted that we did not "feel" much if any noticeable difference in power. Jim is sending me the high flow next week, and I cant wait to get the new filter installed next week.

I've been checking this post several times a day to see what others think about their TRIC's, but it seems everyone is staying tight lipped. So I need to ask, has "ANYONE" installed the TRIC with the "high flow" filter, and noticed anything comparable to what Jim quoted on 08-04-16?

"Tested a production first today and almost killed my brother and I. VISCOUS POWER. We keep the car in Touring mode and still lose it even though it was 92 here at our shop today. Warning, never turn off TC except at the track"
Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Two new screenshots

If folks are driving down the road at safe speeds, they are not going to notice anything. IATs will be ambient most of the time, but in order to
feel boost, it takes a track or safe place to run the kind of tests that I have done.

These were done with the production version of the TRIC that we are now shipping. 12.1 PSI in third and fourth.
In both gears the Cats were over 1616F which activates the COTP fuel enrichment, which is responsible for the 10:1 air fuel ratio.

Check out the Ambient temps and the IAT temp. In parity in third gear. This was approximately after 30 minutes of running hard. Third gear was at 25.5 degree advance with -2 degrees of KR. Fourth was minus 4 degrees. (heat)

Last edited by Halltech; 08-28-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:21 PM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Just for everybodies reference. This is as close as I can get speed wise (103 mph) with my logs but you can 10.5 was my max boost.

The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 11:48 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

What was the boost without the TRIC at end of 2nd gear?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:02 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HNK
11.5 -11.6 PSI

9.4 PSI is stock. Our intake by itself put out around .7 - 1 PSI as you can see by Ktoonsez and many others have shown.

It may be that I am just very sensitive to power increases doing this type of thing since 14 years old, and started drag racing at 16. 70 years old next month. ugh.

Our Z06 feels everybit as fast as our CTS-V did with an upper and lower pulley, ZR1 cam, and LPE snout. It made 15 PSI boost, and 612 RWHP through an auto.

Once the first dyno comes in, we shall see what I have been talking about. Am I worried about over-promotion? Nope. I know what ram air can do, having built them for pro-street and pro-stock motorcycles.

Last edited by Halltech; 08-29-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:11 AM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Originally Posted by HNK
Were you asking me? If so that particular wide open throttle run did not hit 2nd gear. But later on in the run I did do it and it kept bouncing between 9.2 to 9.6 range
Old 08-29-2016, 12:16 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Jim

no doubt your kit will make power . Just interested in the increase in boost with the stock setup. I remember few years back the Diablo SV with their ram air scoop on top increased the HP by 70 at speed.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you guys don't mind me asking. What is Knock Learn Factor? Is that what we're trying to avoid? Is that the idea of the self detuning if there's too much knock for too long a period of time?

Jim....any way to get a Tric in two weeks?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

If you guys don't mind me asking. What is Knock Learn Factor? Is that what we're trying to avoid? Is that the idea of the self detuning if there's too much knock for too long a period of time?

Jim....any way to get a Tric in two weeks?
It cannot be avoided. That is part of the ongoing ECU dynamic programming. It can add or delete timing.

Just look at our Z06 after 8,400 miles with the Stinger-RZ and 600 miles with the TRIC. Timing is stock.

Yes, we have the Stinger-RZs in stock, but not the TRICs. Should have another batch by Friday.

Last edited by Halltech; 08-29-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech TRIC Tunnel Ram Induction Cold-air

Old 08-29-2016, 01:28 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

It cannot be avoided. That is part of the ongoing ECU dynamic programming. It can add or delete timing.

Just look at our Z06 after 8,400 miles with the Stinger-RZ and 600 miles with the TRIC. Timing is stock.

Yes, we have the Stinger-RZs in stock, but not the TRICs. Should have another batch by Friday.
Fantastic. Thanks for explaining that.

I just got my tracking number for your CAI. If you get more TRICs Friday can I get my hands on one of those by the middle of next week or is the waiting list too long? I'd like to modify it with an end plate so I can do some A B testing at the track wth it. You think with the plate open it will create a meaningful Venturi effect on the CAI negatively effecting power? I'd be running it just for the track because I'm concerned about leaves and crap flying up onto the filter as it's my year round DD. Does it need to relearn when removing or putting on end plate?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
Old 08-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Fantastic. Thanks for explaining that.

I just got my tracking number for your CAI. If you get more TRICs Friday can I get my hands on one of those by the middle of next week or is the waiting list too long? I'd like to modify it with an end plate so I can do some A B testing at the track wth it. You think with the plate open it will create a meaningful Venturi effect on the CAI negatively effecting power? I'd be running it just for the track because I'm concerned about leaves and crap flying up onto the filter as it's my year round DD. Does it need to relearn when removing or putting on end plate?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
It should not create a venturi effect since there is no venturi in the design. It is possible however, that the airflow vector, being directed toward the end would starve the inlet to the airbox bottom since you would be back to using the vacuum signal of the engine vs. the ram air of the frontal airflow. If we had a directional system, that would be different, but this system depends on the end plate being in place.

There is some learning going on in closed loop, but none in open loop where the PE tables take over. 70% TP is OL. Under 70% is closed loop stoichiometric seeking.

Last edited by Halltech; 08-29-2016 at 02:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Halltech:
bringe (08-29-2016), phantasms (08-29-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 01:01 AM
ernhart333
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Nithros
Thank you for your offer to replace the red filter. Love your products and this just shows what kind of guy you are. I need the new filter and sent you an email with a copy of my invoice which has my address on it.
So guys, it seems pretty obvious, but any tips to replacing the air filter without having to remove the complete CIA box and tube?

Quick Reply: Halltech TRIC Tunnel Ram Induction Cold-air