C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech TRIC Tunnel Ram Induction Cold-air

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ernhart333
So guys, it seems pretty obvious, but any tips to replacing the air filter without having to remove the complete CIA box and tube?

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 08-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Rain and Car Washes a no no

As I mentioned in a recent post, water is an issue with Ram Air Systems.

We do not recommend driving in the rain, or driving through a car wash.

The TRIC pushes air and therefore water into the filter, but too much water and the filter is soaked and loses power, and should probably be reoiled as soon as possible. Even the stock filter configuration draws air and water from the bottom of the front end, but much less.

We are going to go forward with a plug for the front duct, and a plate for the rear port that is right now covered over. This will allow you to plug the front port if you get stuck in the rain, and remove the rear plate in 1 minute to get fresh air instead of front airflow.

I promised myself that I would not drive through rain, and already I have gone through two deluges. Keeping the throttle down is best under those circumstances, but there would necessarily be water resting in the bottom of the TRIC in its present condition.

Bottom line. The TRIC is a great mod for increasing boost. Care must be exercised when driving in the rain, and you should drive another car if you know it is going to rain.

We'll have the front plug done in about 3 to 4 weeks, and a plate that is easily removed for the back port allowing folks to take it off for days road racing. Two screws and off it comes.

Last edited by Halltech; 08-30-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Dyno time

We should have a 155 mph fan this week, and will be scheduling a dyno session in a couple of weeks.

Over labor day, we have to pick up our ULZ700 after having a few mods done at Katech. Like it needed more HP>

Last edited by Halltech; 08-30-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
As I mentioned in a recent post, water is an issue with Ram Air Systems.

We do not recommend driving in the rain, or driving through a car wash.

The TRIC pushes air and therefore water into the filter, but too much water and the filter is soaked and loses power, and should probably be reoiled as soon as possible. Even the stock filter configuration draws air and water from the bottom of the front end, but much less.

We are going to go forward with a plug for the front duct, and a plate for the rear port that is right now covered over. This will allow you to plug the front port if you get stuck in the rain, and remove the rear plate in 1 minute to get fresh air instead of front airflow.

I promised myself that I would not drive through rain, and already I have gone through two deluges. Keeping the throttle down is best under those circumstances, but there would necessarily be water resting in the bottom of the TRIC in its present condition.

Bottom line. The TRIC is a great mod for increasing boost. Care must be exercised when driving in the rain, and you should drive another car if you know it is going to rain.

We'll have the front plug done in about 3 to 4 weeks, and a plate that is easily removed for the back port allowing folks to take it off for days road racing. Two screws and off it comes.
Jim, can the car be driven with the "plug" in place? Where is it getting fresh air in this scenario? I don't care about HP in this instance but If I get caught in the rain, I'd like to know if the car can still be (safely) driven with this plug in place? Please advise. Thanks!

Last edited by 1QUICK Z; 08-30-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:01 PM
SoonerSpeedFreak
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ernhart333
At this point I would assume at least 30 members should have received and installed their TRIC's. A couple of us got ours installed with the "dry filter" and posted that we did not "feel" much if any noticeable difference in power. Jim is sending me the high flow next week, and I cant wait to get the new filter installed next week.

I've been checking this post several times a day to see what others think about their TRIC's, but it seems everyone is staying tight lipped. So I need to ask, has "ANYONE" installed the TRIC with the "high flow" filter, and noticed anything comparable to what Jim quoted on 08-04-16?

"Tested a production first today and almost killed my brother and I. VISCOUS POWER. We keep the car in Touring mode and still lose it even though it was 92 here at our shop today. Warning, never turn off TC except at the track"
I am going off topic here. What is the deal with "don't turn off traction control"? And the car's in videos hitting 2nd gear and wrecking off the road? We talking manuals only? I have had my auto now for 4 months. I have 4500 miles. Not a daily driver. I have a CTS-V I have had for a long time and have mastered with all traction controls off. Not the same car but..... So I would not turn off my traction control on my Z for about 60 days on the street but started playing with it off after time. I am not having problems. Will it break the tires at will? Yes. But I have not or ever seen, thank GOD, any craziness like I hear about.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Jim, can the car be driven with the "plug" in place? Where is it getting fresh air in this scenario? I don't care about HP in this instance but If I get caught in the rain, I'd like to know if the car can still be (safely) driven with this plug in place? Please advise. Thanks!
Yes, with the rear plate off. That way you are getting airflow from the wheel well, which would be much safer than having ram air into the airbox.

These kits are going to be available next month, as soon as we can get them ready.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by SoonerSpeedFreak
I am going off topic here. What is the deal with "don't turn off traction control"? And the car's in videos hitting 2nd gear and wrecking off the road? We talking manuals only? I have had my auto now for 4 months. I have 4500 miles. Not a daily driver. I have a CTS-V I have had for a long time and have mastered with all traction controls off. Not the same car but..... So I would not turn off my traction control on my Z for about 60 days on the street but started playing with it off after time. I am not having problems. Will it break the tires at will? Yes. But I have not or ever seen, thank GOD, any craziness like I hear about.
Some of the disclaimers have to do with our insurance coverage. It would be irresponsible for us to advice anyone to speed, and or turn off GM safety protocol.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:04 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Retro

Just to be clear, we are not going to charge our customers here that have ordered already for these upgrades.

We have approximately 48 orders, with 9 left to fill this week.

We will ship everyone the front plug and rear plate as soon as they are designed and ready to go. i.e. no charge for this upgrade.

If you have any concerns about water, you can run the TRIC, just be aware and use common sense.

This upgrade will give you peace of mind, and most of all allow road racers to remove the rear plate for the track, and still have colder ambient air available to the intake. The Ram Air benefit would likely not be functional with the rear plate removed.

Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by Halltech:
3 Z06ZR1 (08-31-2016), ktoonsez (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 12:42 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Just to be clear, we are not going to charge our customers here that have ordered already for these upgrades.

We have approximately 48 orders, with 9 left to fill this week.

We will ship everyone the front plug and rear plate as soon as they are designed and ready to go. i.e. no charge for this upgrade.

If you have any concerns about water, you can run the TRIC, just be aware and use common sense.

This upgrade will give you peace of mind, and most of all allow road racers to remove the rear plate for the track, and still have colder ambient air available to the intake. The Ram Air benefit would likely not be functional with the rear plate removed.

Jim
Why not just design a front plug with a defector/plate that shields the air duct from rain which picks up its air from the bottom? That is install quickly during a rain event and therefore no need to remove screws from the wheel well in the rain?

I don't think people are going to install the plug and remove the fender screws just to go for a drive in the rain; I think it will always be an issue of being out with the car and having a rain event. Plug should fit in the rear compartment.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 08-31-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Why not just design a front plug with a defector/plate that shields the air duct from rain which picks up its air from the bottom? That is install quickly during a rain event and therefore no need to remove screws from the wheel well in the rain?

I don't think people are going to install the plug and remove the fender screws just to go for a drive in the rain; I think it will always be an issue of being out with the car and having a rain event. Plug should fit in the rear compartment.
I am open to ideas. Any way you could provide a drawing of this idea?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:55 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I am open to ideas. Any way you could provide a drawing of this idea?

What I would do is take a look around at vents on houses, defectors, etc. that are designed to do that. You may want to play around with the "angle" of the front defector/shield. Being this is quickly installed and only used during a rain it does not need to be gorgeous. It could follow the shape of the grill vent opening for alignment purposes.

This just occurred to me before hitting the submit button but you could do a round air tube within a larger but very short blanked off in the front cap/tube. That would not require much alignment if any.

Edit: Just went down to take a look at the grill opening and being you are going to make something I would shape it to fit the opening, it would just be a better end product.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 08-31-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
I always wanted to be a shade tree mechanic but never had a tree!

What I would do is take a look around at vents on houses, defectors, etc. that are designed to do that. You may want to play around with the "angle" of the front defector/shield. Being this is quickly installed and only used during a rain it does not need to be gorgeous. It could follow the shape of the grill vent opening for alignment purposes.

This just occurred to me before hitting the submit button but you could do a round air tube within a larger but very short blanked off in the front cap/tube. That would not require much alignment if any.
Not after $30,000 investment mold cost. Our plan to block off flow through the front duct will be easy and quick. The rear plate will require taking two screws out to provide an alternate airflow port with the front closed off.

Our two engineers will have a solution soon.

Last edited by Halltech; 08-31-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:23 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

One more tidbit for the Road Racing crowd.

We will have an answer to cooling the brake rotors with an independent cooling system.

I am meeting with the folks that have the system that will not depend on our TRIC for airflow to the rotors.
The following users liked this post:
ktoonsez (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 04:42 PM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

One more tidbit for the Road Racing crowd.

We will have an answer to cooling the brake rotors with an independent cooling system.

I am meeting with the folks that have the system that will not depend on our TRIC for airflow to the rotors.
Excellent news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 PM
ptcohen
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's great... We were just about to modify the TRIC, but we will install it the way it is and add the plate when it becomes available
Old 09-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default TRIC Rear Plate

This will be optional, since we originally made the TRIC ram air system not considering track use.

This is the first step to allowing more air to the rotor (at the expensive of ram air loss) but once we have a plug for the front, for car wash time or rain events, taking this plate off, will provide an alternate bypass route for fresh air.

We are selling these at our cost once we have that number. Under $15.00 I would expect.

That will include cutting out the hole and providing molded in nut-certs.

Last edited by Halltech; 09-01-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Nithros
St. Jude Partner since 89
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I just got my shipping confirmation from Jim where I asked him to ship me the high flow filter per his offer. Jim Hall = Awesome guy and businessman. Thanks!

Last edited by Nithros; 09-01-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech TRIC Tunnel Ram Induction Cold-air

Old 09-02-2016, 03:09 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Default Tric

Jim
I have a great idea for the tric to block so easy and still leave the grill alone.

Just cut a thin slot in the side facing the wheel and slide a thin plastic door with a two tabs to hold the back side. To block bad weather.
I can do a drawing or call me a better easy way to do it
Old 09-02-2016, 08:12 AM
WzUpDoc
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=3 Z06ZR1;1592974943]Jim
I have a great idea for the tric to block so easy and still leave the grill alone.

Just cut a thin slot in the side facing the wheel and slide a thin plastic door with a two tabs to hold the back side. To block bad weather.
I can do a drawing or call me a better easy way to do it[/QUOTE

How about placing a large foam "Nerf ball" into the intake opening during inclement weather while removing the rear cover. Easily removed by hand, squeeze the excess water out, and you're good to go
Old 09-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

[QUOTE=WzUpDoc;1592975476]
Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Jim

I can do a drawing or call me a better easy way to do it[/QUOTE

How about placing a large foam "Nerf ball" into the intake opening during inclement weather while removing the rear cover. Easily removed by hand, squeeze the excess water out, and you're good to go
We are open to any ideas. Our engineer was going to come up with pretty much what you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Halltech TRIC Tunnel Ram Induction Cold-air