C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My first track test of new Z06 A8

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default My first track test of new Z06 A8

Every year we go for a week of fun to Nurburgring, SPA and one more track if it fits the timetable.
This year our Nurburgring time was amputated due to 24h VLN race.
The race was exciting, weather made it a little hairy

Monday we drove full day on SPA in rain, makes it very interesting, luckily I opted for my Pilot Sport and not the cup tires...
Best lap was 3.24
Car performed well, but I have to admit I should have read the instructions 😔, I put here in weather mode instead of track and wet.
Had a scary moment on top of Kemmel, approaching braking point 600 feet doing around 130 mph and had to go out of race line due to "queue" and ended up aqua planning and no traction, did a 360 avoided wall and cars.... and headed back to pit and praised the lord for loving Corvette

Tuesday was dry, and car was put in track mode sport1... I love how balanced and great this car drive stock. It's a heavy car with me and passenger....
Did 100 laps and almost 400 miles in the two days.
Tires got a beating but survived, brake pads front was done, so had to get a new set for rest of journey.
Best lap time was 2.48
BUT sorry to report.. Overheat was taking a lot of fun out of it, after two/three laps you could feel power going away, and then it goes into reduced power and all you can do is go into a high gear, cruise at high speed for a lap or who before you can enjoy max attack again...

Then we headed back to Nurburgring for public track day driving, in short it rained away, so I only got two laps this year. Part of track was semi dry and the Corvette loved it... No lap time as we got to Brunchen it was pouring down.. 😬

Then we drove to Bilsterberg, a new fantastic 3 mile track, twisty, technical and a lot of elevation changes... One drop is 23 degrees down into a bowl, back up just as steep... They call it the "mouse trap"😳

Now car was really struggling, overheat and reduced power after a few laps on my first session.
Surprise two... I was banned from track due to noise level 😳😖
After pleading and promise to drive stealth mode I was let back on, but warned that first alarm over limit I would have to go home 😥

So rest of day, next 5 session a 45 minutes was a little frustrating as I drove in stealth mode, and short shifted half the track.. I was told where I could go flat out 😏
This extended the overheat problem from 6-8 minutes to 30+ minutes.

Had a good fight with a Porsche GT3 RS and 458 Speciale.. Both on Cup2 tires.

Ferraris Speciales best lap was a 1.49, I chased him down, passed him and extended lead by 150 feet a lap... And then I find PDR was not turned on 😖🙀
We guessing 1.47 laps 😇
Later sessions in hotter conditions and with a faulty TPS left rear that caused the car to totally ignore my need for speed
It would refuse to go into power exiting apex, it behaved strangely under braking... But still managed a 1.48 lap.

All in all I am so impressed with the car, it's so much better than my previous C6 Z06 and ZR1 😊
BUT ... the ingenious guy who approved the cooling system should not get pay check this year 😾
Btw it was not my trans overheating, it was engine oil and water...

So track addict that loves 100% attack should
A) upgrade cooling
B) sell and buy a Grand Sport and upgrade power to 600 LT1

Thanks for listening, hope to get out video as soon as I get home...
The following 2 users liked this post by Z06Norway:
Is2scooby (06-04-2016), Lrn2Swm (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 06:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hey Rune - Thanks for the report!!

But - holy keerap!! That weather was really horrible in the video you put up.

Sounds like you had a great time at a bunch of really great tracks. Glad to hear you made it out of your "moment" at Kemmel okay. That sounds like a lot better outcome than your ZR1 at Eau Rouge!

As far as forgetting to turn on your PDR, I had a TraqMate in my C6 Z06, and after forgetting to get either the TraqMate or my video camera going a couple times I made a checklist to make sure I got the correct Active Handling/TC mode, HUD mode, the TraqMate and video turned on, and a couple other things. I'm gonna make one up for the C7 Z06 also.

Again, thanks for the great report!!

Bob

The following users liked this post:
Z06Norway (06-05-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 06:30 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Thanks for the write up! Two questions, what were the temps that day and did you leave the car in drive or did you manually shift via the paddles?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Thanks for the write up! Two questions, what were the temps that day and did you leave the car in drive or did you manually shift via the paddles?
I would add one more question, don't you have the TIKT cooling system ?!

Edit: sorry, confused OP with LASCO001 who runs all day on the track without overheating. He runs the TIKT system as well as other coolers.

Last edited by 5thGear; 06-04-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
i shift manually, try to shift a little lower
temp was 70F and rainy on monday on SPA
temp was 76 and overcast tuesday on SPA
Temp was 80+ on Bilsterberg and sunny after 10 AM

Get notified of new replies

To My first track test of new Z06 A8

Quick Reply: My first track test of new Z06 A8