C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealer refuses to perform warranty service

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:44 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Dealer refuses to perform warranty service

My local dealer, AutoNation chevy in Valencia, has banned my car from their service department. I have had a lot of little things fixed there under warranty, sometimes requiring several visits to get it right.

The techs seem either incompetent or careless, maybe both. About 6 months ago, they dragged my front carbon fibre splitter. The service manager refused to replace it, but agreed to repair it. Chevy has no repair procedure for carbon fibre, only replacement. Since I was unable to convince the service manager to replace it, I had it repaired. It looked fine, but I have no idea of the repaired part's integrity.

Then, on another visit to fix something else, they dragged it again leaving their lot for a test drive. Fortunately, each time I bring the car in, I go over it in detail with the service writer. If they are too lazy or refuse to look under the front lip, I make them write down that it has no damage. When I picked up the car, I felt under the spoiler and it was dragged again in several places. In the 15 moths that I have owned my z06/7, I have never even come close to dragging the front spoiler. Sure, it takes some awareness and taking sloped driveways at an angle, but it is not hard to do. Of course the service manager says all his techs know this so he never understands how it could happen.

As with the first damage, he said he would only cover the repairs, not the replacement. I told him that this was unacceptable and that I would go up the management chain to corporate if necessary. In a couple of weeks, after pressure from above, the service advisor told me the part had been approved and ordered. When it came in the service advisor called and said it was ready for installation. I asked when I could bring it in for replacement and he said the service manager does not want the car at his facility ever again. A body shop had to pick up the part and I took it to them to replace.

In some ways, after my experiences with them, i should not mind taking it somewhere else. The only issue is the 35 mi distance to the next closest dealer. This means that I cannot use the dealership shuttle service and someone has to take their car and give me ride home and then back when the work is completed.

I also purchased a new Silverado duramax from this dealer a few months ago. I told the salesman that it looks like I won't be buying any more vehicles from Autonation and he seemed upset. I am actually considering a 2017 Zl1 when they come out in the fall. Guess I won't have any trouble finding another dealer to help me.

Do any of think a dealership has the right to refuse warranty service on any vehicle still under factory warranty? I wonder if someone from GM customer care wants to chime in and maybe take on the case?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

My experience and understanding is the dealerships are private parties selling the product. I called GM about a Cadillac issue and that's what I was told. They did say they'd call the dealership and put some pressure on them. I think they have influence but not control.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
My experience and understanding is the dealerships are private parties selling the product. I called GM about a Cadillac issue and that's what I was told. They did say they'd call the dealership and put some pressure on them. I think they have influence but not control.
Exactly that, influence but zero control.
Even that influence is minimal at best.

So far, my service experience has me wishing I purchased a Porsche instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZenicaPA:
Forujames (06-05-2016), r00t61 (06-06-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:28 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

There must be more to the story. A dealer would not refuse warranty service unless you have been a customer that is impossible to satisfy. GM has an obligation to fix your car under warranty but I think a dealer can ask you to go elsewhere.
The following 3 users liked this post by b4i4getit:
Forujames (06-05-2016), jovette (06-06-2016), RoketRdr (06-06-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 06-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
There must be more to the story. A dealer would not refuse warranty service unless you have been a customer that is impossible to satisfy. GM has an obligation to fix your car under warranty but I think a dealer can ask you to go elsewhere.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
My experience as well.

The best the OP can do is to keep complaining further up the chain.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:28 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

It's my understanding that dealers make decent money, paid monthly, performing warranty work. For a dealer to turn down an opportunity to keep their service shop busy? Hmmmm...

Perhaps there's an honest conversation that needs to happen between the OP and the Service Manager to clear up prior issues?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

This doesn't sound like warranty work to me. It sounds like repair work for something a dealer employee caused. If one of their employees scratched your paint, for example, the repair of that wouldn't be on GM as a warranty repair. The repair work would be on the dealership for correcting damage they caused.

The damage to your front splitter seems like that. The dealership's employee caused the damage. Fixing it isn't on GM. It's on the dealer.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:51 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
My experience as well.

The best the OP can do is to keep complaining further up the chain.
To force the dealer to service the op's car? Isn't that like yelling at the restaurant staff to prepare your food differently. I would rather drive the half hour and go somewhere else.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

The OP isn't the first to ever be asked to not return to a dealer and surely won't be the last. Just find another dealer and hopefully build a relationship. Trying to force someone to do something against their will usually has a bad ending.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 PM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Man, horrible experience. I went golfing today and they wouldn't even let me have a bag of ice to put in my cooler. Talk about horrible experiences.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:30 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Sounds like you spend way too much time at the dealership breaking *****... Go enjoy your vehicle rather than doing 50 point checks while dropping off the vehicle to get the seat belts lubed.

Last edited by BooSSted; 06-04-2016 at 11:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foxtrot Uniform (06-07-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 02:07 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Isn't that like yelling at the restaurant staff to prepare your food differently. I would rather drive the half hour and go somewhere else.
Exactly.
Ever have a waiter/waitress ask if you want the food sent back to the kitchen to be fixed?
NOT a good idea.

Last edited by sunsalem; 06-05-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:21 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome to the joys of owning Chevy's finest.

I live in Venice CA and drive 25 miles each way to Rydell in Northridge because they are the only competent warranty Corvette techs in a 250 mile radius. I have nothing but horror stories from Chevy dealers closer to me.

I would strongly recommend taking the trip out to Rydell for future work.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:43 AM
SHILL123
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front splitter - Stage 2

What price did find on the OEM Front Splitter? I cracked mine and need to get it replaced. My understanding is that it can not be repaired only replaced.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:33 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

As a former dealership owner, there are customers who are just a$$holes. In one case I gave a guy $100 to go to a competitor and never come back.

I get the impression that some people don't realize that they are perceived in this fashion. I get the impression that the original poster is one of those people. I feel sorry for his next victim.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer refuses to perform warranty service

Old 06-05-2016, 08:12 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You still want to go to a dealer that consistently (or repeatedly) damages your car and you claim they are at fault for not wanting you there? Sorry, I don't get it. If your car is precious to you, I really don't get it. And to answer the question, there are instances where dealers can legitimately deny you service, even warranty service.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:21 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

So far, my service experience has me wishing I purchased a Porsche instead.
They're not any better than GM, trust me.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:37 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

I would like to hear the dealers side.
The following 2 users liked this post by sammyv:
Busa Dave (06-07-2016), jbryan (06-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Dealer refuses to perform warranty service