C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM buy back, now what?

Old 06-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Saintd
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So it looks like 3rd car museum delivery is it, only decent option at this point and I'll be getting a 2017. Other options are to fix one of the other cars and I'm not interested.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:27 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Saintd
So it looks like 3rd car museum delivery is it, only decent option at this point and I'll be getting a 2017. Other options are to fix one of the other cars and I'm not interested.

Given your options and your desire for a Z06, taking the option you stated was an excellent choice, IMO. Best of luck with it!!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Consider a hand painted beautifully finished Viper....
The following users liked this post:
Saintd (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 10:53 PM
Saintd
Instructor

Trust me I got pricing on a 2017 acr in anticipation of a buy back. I think the corvette is a lot more street friendly but an acr would've been super sweet.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:18 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have never seen what you are describing. I have owned 3 vettes the fit and finish has always been very good. I believe they are painted with robots now.

I would get out of the deal and move on to something else.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Trust me I got pricing on a 2017 acr in anticipation of a buy back. I think the corvette is a lot more street friendly but an acr would've been super sweet.
I dd my Viper... Very street able and love able. It's fun as hell to enjoy each day and beautifully finished! I'm very thankful!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:23 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=Saintd;1592433562]My local dealer gave me gm discount (I'm eligible) plus an additional $2,000.00 so that was a smoking deal for me as they had sat on that car 3 months. I couldn't get kerbeck or macmulkin to touch that. I don't think I'll find another vehicle that can hold a match to the z06 at this point. Also my dealer "says" they're willing to order a 17 and honor the price. I'm kinda leaning towards option 2, 3rd car with museum delivery but we will see.[/QUOTE

Saintd, what did you have to do to get a buyback on your Z? My dealer closed and was replaced with a BMW dealer. Other Chevy dealers in Denver had just stonewalled me and say there is not "overheating" issue.
I wrote to the GM Senior VP of global customer care and got sent to an assistant who followed up with " when driving the car on the track, things brake and overheating can occur" The car according to the engineers " is commercially acceptable" and since they cannot duplicate the problem on the street, there is nothing they can do.

Same sh*t I got from GM customer service. If they do cooling upgrades on the 2017 then in effect they have admitted they have a problem.
I would expect them to make the additional cooling on the 17 model some kind of track package to separate it from all of us who have problems with our 15's and 16's.
I know a few others have done buybacks, but I don't know how they got it done unless the dealer went to bat for them which in my case is not going to happen.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBird440
My 16 Z is covered in orange peel and IDGAF baby SHES FAAAAAST
I had light orange peel on my rear quarters. No Problem---- had the detailer do paint correction and the orange peel is a goner, with a coating of Cquartz finest..... You'd never would have guessed there was a problem with orange peel. Some people are too picky for their own good..... The OP should run out and buy a Hellcat, and then compare the paint jobs and panel fitment. My .02 As for the Viper ACR, hand painted vs robot painted. There isn't any comparison

Last edited by Hershey71; 06-27-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Agree ^^^ and polishing too if you don't want a matte finish on your car LOL
Old 06-28-2016, 10:33 PM
Saintd
Instructor

My issue has nothing to do with orange peel in the paint or fish eyes in the clear as these didn't bother me. My problem is with nasty looking runs, drips, and thin spots that show black body panels through the white paint especially near edges and raised body lines. I'm highly considering changing to Watkins glen grey to potentially avoid issues. I DON'T CARE IF THERE IS ORANGE PEEL, KNOCK DOWN, CROWS FOOT, ETC. it's not the texture that bothers me. What bothers me is that I believe the white paint GM is using is too thin so it runs or has bald spots.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:28 AM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 753 Likes on 367 Posts

Here's my dilemma;
I originally ordered a z06 with z07 from my local dealer. Due to constraints they were unable to fill my order so they ordered one very similar but not exact as dealer stock. They convinced me to take that car from their stock inventory rather than order one. It happened kind of fast and I never look the car over with any great detail. Once I got the car home and cleaned it up I noticed 1) they'd never cleaned the car very well, 2) there were all sorts of Runs and drips on the factory paint job, 3) some portions of missing fiberglass corners inside Nooks and such that were actually holes. My local dealership tried to fix the issues but the repairs were very obvious to me. The dealer felt that GM should take care of it not them. The GM representative actually came in, looked at the car, and agreed that it should have been caught by quality control. My dealership instructed me to come in and order the car the way I wanted, to replace the car I had. GM was going to buy it back and replace with a new car. It's been two months and the new car just showed up. They called me in to watch them unwrap the car. Now the new car has what I feel to be even more issues with areas where the black body panels underneath are showing through the paint. Also spots where it looks like black overspray but is where it's missing paint and spots where paint is actually chipped off between body panels which obviously didn't happen from them taking the cover off as I was standing right there. The buyback has already been initiated and I'm supposed to bring the car back in a week. I am not happy with the new car that came in as it looks as rough or rougher than my original car they're buying back. What are the chances that two cars come out of the factory this bad? They've had three other Corvettes before mine and right now have three others on the lot that I intensely studied that have no paint defects or body defects. Not sure what to do at this point, walk away? I don't really see any other vehicle that will give me as much performance in this price range but I don't want to spend this kind of money and have all the defects. Any thoughts?
I'll tell u my observation of those cars.
I am certified painter by PPG and I had my own shop
i haven't got my z yet but I am regularly visiting local dealer and looking them to pull the trigger soon

Paint job is not 100% but I confidently say it's 95% good

I have seen so much worst paint jobs on other makes, such as Audi R8
BMW 760, and RR phantom
Also almost all cars now days come with more orange peel than before it's due to technic they get sprayed, and on top off all any paint job with orange peel has twice as much protection against sun,
The way it works is when sun rays hit the peel they bounce one of to another, and that way uv light can't penetrate as much .
So some degree of orange peel is good.

Eric
Old 06-30-2016, 07:09 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Hershey71
I had light orange peel on my rear quarters. No Problem---- had the detailer do paint correction and the orange peel is a goner, with a coating of Cquartz finest..... You'd never would have guessed there was a problem with orange peel. Some people are too picky for their own good..... The OP should run out and buy a Hellcat, and then compare the paint jobs and panel fitment. My .02 As for the Viper ACR, hand painted vs robot painted. There isn't any comparison
Perhaps had you actually looked at the pictures the OP posted, you'd not have posted this...
Old 06-30-2016, 11:08 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

I have read through this entire thread and I think that the final choice of getting a third car is a good one. Moreover, based on the options the dealer offered, I would say that they are being very fair with the OP. While I don't know what personality issues may have been involved on either side during the course of this, I would surmise that the OP was reasonable and fair with the dealer and the dealer was in return despite some snarky commented by the GM rep. The OP clearly got a great financial deal initially but a problematic car. Sounds like the dealer went to bat for the OP. Since most owners have not had such really bad problems with the paint, my hope is that third time's a charm. If the paint is OK for you, you will love the car. OP might even communicate with the Museum delivery folks ahead of time to inform then of the issues he had faced with the first two and to have them keep an eye out for any paint issues. They are usually quite helpful. --Bob
Old 07-05-2016, 06:13 PM
indyautobroker
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That paint is absolutely unacceptable. PERIOD.

I'm a used car dealer. Going to buy a new z06 in the spring. I wouldn't accept paint like that if I sent a wrecked 200K mile 10 year old truck to the body shop. That kind of blemish is appalling. First, someone inspected that car at the factory and said it was okay. Second, a dealer inspected it and said it was okay. If I were taking your vette on trade and saw that, there would be nothing you could say or do to convince me it hadn't been wrecked and resprayed by a blind bodyshop man. The people telling you that you are reacting are pompous a$$holes and I mean that sincerely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM buy back, now what?