C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

CTS-V brakes on a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:17 PM
stone150
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default CTS-V brakes on a Z06

From everything I've gathered the CCB brakes aren't the best if the car is going to see heavy track use.
I've ridden in a vette with Dot Slicks and the stock iron brakes with race pads and didn't think car was lacking in braking power at all.
That being said, I do like the larger rotors on the CCB brakes better, to buy Giro disc rotors and stock CCB calipers the upgrade would be about 5500-5900 to do the retro fit. it is my understanding the CCB rotors are 394 mm.
I was watching a review of the new CTS V and they use 390 mm rotors and similar brembo calipers. Doing a quick search online, the calipers are half the cost of the CCB ones and the rotors are $400 each for the fronts and $100 for the rear (although the rears are one piece)

Do you think the CTS-V rotors and calipers would bolt up?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by stone150
From everything I've gathered the CCB brakes aren't the best if the car is going to see heavy track use.
I've ridden in a vette with Dot Slicks and the stock iron brakes with race pads and didn't think car was lacking in braking power at all.
That being said, I do like the larger rotors on the CCB brakes better, to buy Giro disc rotors and stock CCB calipers the upgrade would be about 5500-5900 to do the retro fit. it is my understanding the CCB rotors are 394 mm.
I was watching a review of the new CTS V and they use 390 mm rotors and similar brembo calipers. Doing a quick search online, the calipers are half the cost of the CCB ones and the rotors are $400 each for the fronts and $100 for the rear (although the rears are one piece)

Which Z06 do you want to put these brakes on? A C6Z or a C7Z.

I think you might be better off looking at other solutions. For the C7Z the Essex kit is a better deal and will have lower rotor and pad replacement costs. The pads are really thick and will last a long time, the rotor replacement cost will be less than $400 since you will not be replacing the hat and rotor ring but just the ring. Not only will the pads last longer they will be less costly to purchase and you will have a large selection of compounds. If you are talking a C6Z there are plenty of options from Essex, StopTech, Brembo, Wilwood, etc.

Bill
Old 06-07-2016, 02:39 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

The CCBs are the absolute best that you can have for the track. That is what they are for. F1 uses them for a reason.

With that said they are really expensive to operate in track applications.

Last edited by ElCid79; 06-07-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:49 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

CTS-V brakes as a kit would fit, except the rotor. You could get everything, and use C7 Z06 iron rotors, and it would all work. That said, Z06 calipers come with vented pistons, and do a better job at keeping the heat away from the calipers; why don't you just go with the C7 Z06 brake calipers? It only cost me $1150 to do so!
C7 Z06 front brakes for $1,150 + pads!​

Originally Posted by ElCid79
The CCBs are the absolute best that you can have for the track. That is what they are for. F1 uses them for a reason.

Ironically, CCB is actually the best for street, not track. At the street, you'd never get them to the temperatures where the rotors start disintegrating through 'evaporation', not to mention the rough surface they get half-way through their life, when they start literally grading the brake pads. If you only use them at the street, GM predicts they would last the life of the car; amazing! If you use them at the track, though, they become a major expense.

FYI, F1 cars do not use carbon-ceramic brakes. They do use carbon-carbon brakes that cost up to $10-$20K PER ROTOR, and do not even provide any significant stopping power until they warm up, rendering them useless for the street.

Last edited by X25; 06-07-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:57 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
FYI, F1 cars do not use carbon-ceramic brakes. They do use carbon-carbon brakes that cost up to $10-$20K PER ROTOR, and do not even provide any significant stopping power until they warm up, rendering them useless for the street.
ANOTHER F1 fan!
Old 06-07-2016, 12:07 PM
stone150
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Which Z06 do you want to put these brakes on? A C6Z or a C7Z.

I think you might be better off looking at other solutions. For the C7Z the Essex kit is a better deal and will have lower rotor and pad replacement costs. The pads are really thick and will last a long time, the rotor replacement cost will be less than $400 since you will not be replacing the hat and rotor ring but just the ring. Not only will the pads last longer they will be less costly to purchase and you will have a large selection of compounds. If you are talking a C6Z there are plenty of options from Essex, StopTech, Brembo, Wilwood, etc.

Bill
They would be for a C7 Z06, originally I was going to order the CCBs, but after reading allot of different articles, Iron seems to be the way to go for heavy track use.
well I figure the CTS-v would have allot of different pad choices, they have them for the V2, I would think the V3 wouldn't be far behind.
I'll take a look at the Essex kit, this car will be equally be driven on the street and track.

Originally Posted by X25
CTS-V brakes as a kit would fit, except the rotor. You could get everything, and use C7 Z06 iron rotors, and it would all work. That said, Z06 calipers come with vented pistons, and do a better job at keeping the heat away from the calipers; why don't you just go with the C7 Z06 brake calipers? It only cost me $1150 to do so!
C7 Z06 front brakes for $1,150 + pads!​

Ironically, CCB is actually the best for street, not track. At the street, you'd never get them to the temperatures where the rotors start disintegrating through 'evaporation', not to mention the rough surface they get half-way through their life, when they start literally grading the brake pads. If you only use them at the street, GM predicts they would last the life of the car; amazing! If you use them at the track, though, they become a major expense.

Is there different backspacing on the V rotors? I'm not sure the stock c7 rotors would bolt up as I though they were like 378 mm or something in that range, with the V rotors at 390 mm and CCBs at 394.
I was wondering why the CCB calipers were so expensive. on RA they were 1100-1200 a piece with the V calipers at $500-600 a piece.

Just so we are all on the same page, here is what I was talking about (at around 12:30 or so on the video)

Last edited by stone150; 06-07-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

CFC is different than CCB, are they not? I thought F1 used a real carbon-carbon fibre matrix and ours were something less.

Last edited by davepl; 06-07-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:43 PM
stone150
Racer

That is what I thought, but from everything I've read, they don't seem to have the same feel, modulation, or bite on the track, not to mention they replacement cost under heavy use.

Last edited by stone150; 06-07-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:50 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

When I was flying Boeings with carbon-Kevlar brakes we got an advisory that told us that to get better life out of the brakes we needed to get them up to a higher temperature. intuitively you would expect that light braking would be better, but not according to Boeing who had done extensive testing. I forget the exact temperature they wanted us to achieve (we had brake temperature readings in the cockpit), but it was b below a certain temperature or above a target temperature, and it took fairly aggressive braking to reach that temperature.

What I am wondering is, does the same type of thing apply to the Corvette brakes? Maybe your typical HPD participant is not getting up to the best temperature range.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:19 PM
stone150
Racer

Originally Posted by stevebz06
What I am wondering is, does the same type of thing apply to the Corvette brakes? Maybe your typical HPD participant is not getting up to the best temperature range.
Not sure on the Vettes, but you can on a thunder pig, got to replace atleast one caliper now.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:13 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

They would be for a C7 Z06, originally I was going to order the CCBs, but after reading allot of different articles, Iron seems to be the way to go for heavy track use.
well I figure the CTS-v would have allot of different pad choices, they have them for the V2, I would think the V3 wouldn't be far behind.
I'll take a look at the Essex kit, this car will be equally be driven on the street and track.

Is there different backspacing on the V rotors? I'm not sure the stock c7 rotors would bolt up as I though they were like 378 mm or something in that range, with the V rotors at 390 mm and CCBs at 394.
I was wondering why the CCB calipers were so expensive. on RA they were 1100-1200 a piece with the V calipers at $500-600 a piece.

Just so we are all on the same page, here is what I was talking about (at around 12:30 or so on the video)
CTS-V Tech Review
OK now I got it, I initially misunderstood you. Base Z06 cars use almost same calipers as CTS-Vs that are one previous gen, not this one. The previous gen uses the same size 14.6" rotors (370mm x 34mm) as the base Z06 does. I thought you were interested in those brakes.

Now going back to your question, you need to try it and see if it bolts up. The calipers will likely bolt up (since they all seem to use the same mounting points), but I bet the rotors would have a different offset or even a different bolt pattern.

Did you consider trying a directional rotor on your current brakes? OEM Z06 rotors are unfortunately not directional, which is mind boggling by itself. You could get the previous gen CTS-V / ZL1's rotors, and replace the hat with your hat, and it should bolt right up; they are directional and will provide much better cooling at ~$250/piece (available online). Girodisc also have set of rotors at $1000 initial price with their hats, and $350/piece ring replacement cost (which I will consider if the OEM rotors don't do the job for me).

Going back to the subject, I think you would be best served with StopTech's C7 kit at 15" with WIDE annulus, and plenty of cooling and heat capacity. I think knsbrakes sells it for less than $2400, and there is an additional 5% discount for forum members (cf5off was the code IIRC). If my brakes become insufficient, I might just do that myself.

Last edited by X25; 06-07-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:44 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Right. That must be why the C7-R's going to LeMans use CCB's along with almost everyone else that's entered....
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2016, 04:48 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BWFitz
Right. That must be why the C7-R's going to LeMans use CCB's along with almost everyone else that's entered....
You're joking, right?

http://jalopnik.com/america-had-the-...e-m-1592064554

They are not CCB, my friend : )

Last edited by X25; 06-07-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:06 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I think in the US series the GT1 class can use Carbon but the GT2 requires steel. It's a rules issue over an issue of what is best.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:16 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I think in the US series the GT1 class can use Carbon but the GT2 requires steel. It's a rules issue over an issue of what is best.

Exactly. And the Z in that photo is entered in GT2.

Last edited by BWFitz; 06-07-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:03 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Exactly. And the Z in that photo is entered in GT2.
Again, that's not carbon-ceramic. It's rather carbon-carbon that they use that costs $10-20K per rotor. If you still believe that CCB is the answer for all your calls, I wish you best of luck; I'm giving up

Last edited by X25; 06-07-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:35 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by X25
Again, that's not carbon-ceramic. It's rather carbon-carbon that they use that costs $10-20K per rotor. If you still believe that CCB is the answer for all your calls, I wish you best of luck; I'm giving up

I have all of the luck I need, thank you very much.

Right out of page 10 of the FIA GT2 rulebook in both French and English:

FREINS
Les disques de freins en carbone sont interdits.
BRAKES
Carbon brake discs are forbidden.

It does not say Carbon-Carbon composite OR Carbon Ceramic composite. Carbon is the banned material and without it, either composite is a bit tough to make!

The CCB brakes on my Z06/Z07 stop me very capably.

Last edited by BWFitz; 06-07-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CTS-V brakes on a Z06

Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I have all of the luck I need, thank you very much.

Right out of page 10 of the FIA GT2 rulebook in both French and English:

FREINS
Les disques de freins en carbone sont interdits.
BRAKES
Carbon brake discs are forbidden.

It does not say Carbon-Carbon composite OR Carbon Ceramic composite. Carbon is the banned material and without it, either composite is a bit tough to make!
Sure, I don't know what that proves to you. In classes where it's not banned, carbon-carbon is used, not carbon-ceramic.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I can't believe that I am even responding to this again. But as I said if you are not worried about money go with the carbons.

Mclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, w-motors, Bugatti, koenigsegg, Amg, etc all use carbons for a reason. And it is not because they are stupid.

Further, I have no doubt that the F1 race compound brakes a somewhat different than those on our cars.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:05 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't believe that I am even responding to this again. But as I said if you are not worried about money go with the carbons.

Mclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, w-motors, Bugatti, koenigsegg, Amg, etc all use carbons for a reason. And it is not because they are stupid.

Further, I have no doubt that the F1 race compound brakes a somewhat different than those on our cars.
Carbon-ceramics can be civil, yet provide you race-brake-like bite and stopping power at the track. Car magazines test cars as bone stock, and as such, the same pad/brake setup used at their track test must also satisfy at the street. Carbon-ceramics are excellent in this respect, not to mention the substantial unsprung weight loss, and they are obviously favored by many manufacturers for their high-end offerings.

I have to repeat as well, none of this means much for the scenario of heavy track use, at which point the owner could easily opt for a race pad with high bite and fade resistance (like Raybestos ST47s), etc., and create an excellent setup for himself, which could be terrible for the street (some pads have low bite when cold, they will be dusty, they will squeak).

Make no mistake, one of the most popular mods for the late model track Porsches is to replace the CCB brake rotors with (preferably narrower-annulus) iron rotors. As you well put it, it's not that they do it because they're stupid.

Quick Reply: CTS-V brakes on a Z06