C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Pop when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Mine isn't lowered at all.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:10 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Mine isn't lowered at all.
Well, there goes that theory.

I called my local Chev dealer to see if they had a Service Bulletin on it? I really don't want them guessing at what the problem is. Has anyone else learned anything?
Old 06-24-2016, 05:43 PM
cowboys223
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue. Its been happening for about a month now. It is DEFINITELY NOT the normal tire chatter etc. This feels like suspension related, mine happens more when turned to the left. Probably moreso when backing slowly. It even happens when parked in the grass, which again eliminates the tire chatter theory. I read recently about sway bars not being torqued down correctly from the factory, which begin to loosen over time and cause this sound. I'll be taking mine into the dealership next week most likely Mine is also lowered all the way on stock bolts, but its been that way for almost a year now, and this popping, or 'clunk' sound only started to happen recently.
The following 2 users liked this post by cowboys223:
Arctic Blastoff (07-01-2016), sunsalem (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 05:51 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by cowboys223
I have the same issue. Its been happening for about a month now. It is DEFINITELY NOT the normal tire chatter etc. This feels like suspension related, mine happens more when turned to the left. Probably moreso when backing slowly. It even happens when parked in the grass, which again eliminates the tire chatter theory. I read recently about sway bars not being torqued down correctly from the factory, which begin to loosen over time and cause this sound. I'll be taking mine into the dealership next week most likely Mine is also lowered all the way on stock bolts, but its been that way for almost a year now, and this popping, or 'clunk' sound only started to happen recently.
Ok, please let us know what you find out at the dealer. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

You know I have this same issue in my '11 GS. Just started last year (or early this year) with around 15k miles on the car. It is passenger front side. Happens during slow turn in and out of parking spots or just slow tight turning. Can't say it happens every time, though, as when I take it to the dealer they can't replicate the issue so no dice with them. But it definitely feels like something binding - I can hear it and feel it in the wheel and the floorboard.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Blastoff (07-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:56 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Interesting..... I wonder if there is something to this? Mine never did it before it was lowered
I mentioned my sound to a well-versed Corvette guy (my son) and he immediately suggested the possibility of it being swaybar related. When I get time, I'm going to use the proper lube on my bushings. They might be binding and then releasing to make this sound. If one of you try this before I do, let us know if it solves the problem.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:29 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Wheres our local rocket scientist 383 and jherbert at when ya need them?
Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
I mentioned my sound to a well-versed Corvette guy (my son) and he immediately suggested the possibility of it being swaybar related. When I get time, I'm going to use the proper lube on my bushings. They might be binding and then releasing to make this sound. If one of you try this before I do, let us know if it solves the problem.
Thanks man. That def makes sense. Hard to believe nobody has figured this out yet. I called my local dealer to see if there were any TSB's or anything but I never heard back. I want to be able to tell them what's wrong so they don't start tearing into my car for no reason.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:46 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

That is interesting. On the C6s, some of them exhibited a slow speed noise that was ultimately tracked down to sway bar end links. Replace the end links and the noise went away. I don't recall it being tied in any way to turning the wheel - more tied to slowly rolling over smooth bumps, or driveway entrances and such.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:18 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I don't recall it being tied in any way to turning the wheel - more tied to slowly rolling over smooth bumps, or driveway entrances and such.
Yeah, 2 different things.
Only does it at very low speed wheel turns.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Olden Slowe
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah I guess I get the same thing. It's very subtle and only on backing out my semi steep driveway apron and turning the wheel a bit. A very slight one-time pop, then normal.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:54 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Did anyone ever figure this out? It is almost like a loud snap that I can feel in my foot on the floor right under the driver's side. Dealer cannot figure it out.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Asleep@thewheel
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 42 Posts

We have the exact same issue with our 2016 Z06. Sometimes, not always, as I back out of the garage in an easy left turn into our turnaround, there is a loud "POP" that comes from under my right foot. It is NOT the tires. And, it is not repeatable...totally random... but only happens on the first cold start of the day...ie, never happens later on when the car is warmed up.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:06 AM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Give it time. Mine is now entirely repeatable. I demonstrated it a half dozen times in front of the service manager with him inside and outside the car. The tech still couldn't find anything at the second visit. It also now happens backing up and turning the wheel in either direction.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:08 AM
OldPhart
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I had all this on my 2017; popping or tire slip or what ever you call it. Always when backing out of the garage and making the slight turn into the street. I found a fix for it, 100% guaranteed fix.

The aggressive alignment had caused the insides of both rear tires to wear almost to the cord. Since I never track the Vette and rarely do any road racing (not after my $3k High Speed Driving Award), I was thinking about getting some kinda less aggressive street alignment before replacing the tires. Explained all this to my Tech and he knew exactly what I wanted; even mounted and balanced my new Continentals i brought in (yes, I'm an old fart). Not only was the ride much quieter and wet road handling Greatly improved, but the popping or tire slip was completely gone. No matter how cold or wet it is, when I back out of the garage now, there is never any of the old popping noises. Tires? Alignment? a little of both? Most drivers will want to stay with the OEM tires and aggressive alignment, but now you know there is a fix.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:39 AM
Artilleryusmc
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only happens to me when below freezing on Summer Perf Tires backing out of garage
Old 07-31-2018, 01:03 PM
thomas1737
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you recently had an alignment done it is most likely that the tech did not torque your control arm bolts correctly
at least that was my fix

Get notified of new replies

To Pop when turning wheel

Old 07-31-2018, 08:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

What year car? If the track brake ducts were installed on 2017 and newer cars the top outlet of the duct will snap across a small air deflector that is installed on the knuckle at the top of the hub area. That creates a popping sound that can vary from side to side due to differences in the way the upper and control arms move through their arcs. A lot of times when I am working on my car and manually turn one of the front wheels that popping noise will startle me if I am concentrating on something else. That small air deflector is only held on by one screw and might be able to be removed without affecting air flow to the rotor. In fact it looks like it actually reduces air flow to the rotor.

Bill
Old 08-05-2018, 09:06 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a snapping sound like a shot bushing in the steering rack or front suspension. I can feel it with my left foot on the floor. Back to dealer tuesday.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:46 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Update: replacing the steering rack. ~$3400, covered by warranty.

Quick Reply: Pop when turning wheel