C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 transmission shift tune-Any Vendors/ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 09:38 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Here's some info....

CLICK HERE FOR SOME REMOTE TUNING INFO...

Changing the way an Auto Trans is programmed can TOTALLY CHANGE your driving experience.

Sadly, the GM calibrations are lacking.

Fortunately, I'm good at fixing them and I made a business out of it.

Call any time.
Chuck CoW

Can you please specify what changes you make via Auto Cal to the A8 on a Z06?

1. Can you reduce the lag in the shifting of the A8 during MANUAL shifting?

If someone on these Forums has had this performed then lets hear about the changes and what impact this has on the A8 in terms of wear and warranty.

Thanks for being specific!

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 11-27-2016 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jim2092 (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 09:43 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
Guys,

Coming from a DCT car naturally one compares the shift times to the A8. I'm not here to disregard the engineering that has gone into the A8 but rather to see if there any folks/vendors currently working on increasing the A8 transmissions shift speeds when in Manual mode.

Had a spirited drive this last weekend and there was a noticeable lag on downshifts and this was in track mode.

Thanks!
As everybody should know by now the A8 was never intended just for the Corvette and has to fill many vehicles in the GM lineup. It should not be compared to a good DCT and those that try to say it is as good as the Porsche PDK are just fooling themselves. It is not a bad transmission by any means but it is not as great as the marketing crap would have you believe.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:37 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
Really? Thanks for the info. Please go back and read my post as well as my signature. I have both a ZO6 with an A8 and a Porsche with a PDK. My comment is related to MY preference in the shifting of each. Hardly trolling for anything. Anyway, have an enjoyable Thanksgiving, and maybe, next time, take a moment to evaluate and think before you post such inflammatory drivel about someone who has been a member of this Forum since 1999.
Oooh, I've offended an elder. Relax grandpa, I'm just tired of people talking about the PDK relative to the Z06 and owning one doesn't change that. I've got an SMG that I don't mention, a TKO-600 that I ever talk about, and so on. Feel free not to talk about your PDK.

My actual point could be summarized as "Don't be the loser that randomizes a good A8 tuning thread with PDK ramblings", and I stand by that. See how Chuck COW actually answered the question instead of a completely useless and passive aggressive "Happy Thanksgiving and You Suck" line?

I was on the Vettenet listserv by 1991 so you're a noob to me anyway. I mean I think I dated Hib Halverson's sister for a while, that's how long ago it was.

Last edited by davepl; 11-27-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:44 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Can you please specify what changes you make via Auto Cal to the A8 on a Z06?

1. Can you reduce the lag in the shifting of the A8 during MANUAL shifting?

If someone on these Forums has had this performed then lets hear about the changes and what impact this has on the A8 in terms of wear and warranty.

Thanks for being specific!

Hello? Anyone.

Can the Paddle shift be modified so it shifts like in Performance Mode at all times?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:29 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Hello? Anyone.

Can the Paddle shift be modified so it shifts like in Performance Mode at all times?
I'm not a transmission tuner, and Chuck COW can chime in here, but I think the answer is "no", or "you don't want that".

Unless the trans knows it's in paddle shift mode and can run different line pressures in response, you'd have to otherwise bring up the pressures for all part-throttle shifts, and that'd get annoying in a hurry.

Now if the code has separate tables, perhaps you could get into it and bring up the pressures only in manual mode, but I'm not aware of manual-mode tables. There are performance mode tables, but that's different.

Last edited by davepl; 11-28-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:35 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

HP Tuners has tons of trans tables in it. Just open it up and start trying stuff.
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2016, 06:49 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

I can't understand why someone would want to blow their warranty by changing some transmission parameters. Unless of course the car is out of warranty or you have deep pockets.
SgtRod (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

I would appreciate hearing from a C7 A8 owner that had the CoW A8 tune and what they believe was done and the outcome.

Is the manual shifting better?
With less lag?

....not that I have any plans for mine, but just curious about what can be done.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:27 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I can't understand why someone would want to blow their warranty by changing some transmission parameters. Unless of course the car is out of warranty or you have deep pockets.
If you want to keep a full warranty in place accept the car for how it comes from the factory. If how it comes is not how you'd like it and the minimal risk of a major failure is not a concern to you. Then modify the car to suit your specific needs.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Danny Richie
For being the new flagship model Corvette, I really expect a lot more. It is a dog to drive around in. A lazy dog....

So when you take off in it, it feels like it shifts in the first 20 feet and shifts again 20 feet later and so on. It is lugged down in too high of a gear all the time. As you roll into the throttle it really drags along unless you stomp on it hard enough to drop a gear or two. And then it is too much. The throttle response is crappy too. You just keep pressing the throttle waiting for the car to move. There is no real control or feel for in between ranges. It's either on or off.
Within 1 week of getting the A8 trans in my 2016 Z I realized I made a mistake and if I had it all over to do again I certainly would have gone with the M7, WAY funner to drive. Also, my A8 had a complete catastrophic failure 1 month ago and is finally going to be fixed this week as its been at the dealership getting a new trans and torque converter installed this past month and I have lost confidence in the durability of the A8 trans as my Z is bone stock.

That having been said I also thought the A8 trans. felt sluggish while driving normal and and unimpressed and very disappointed with the poor throttle response when driving the car normal when its not in boost. BUT, when you hit the go fast pedal looks out she's a rocket ship. its almost like its all or nothing at all with the A8 trans just like the old Sinatra song.

My input on all of this is probably a little bit skewed having come from a 600+HP 2009 Dodge Viper where I had all the n/aspirated torque down low with its 512 ci (8.4 liter) V10 engine and with its Tremec manual 6 speed I could put that baby in a lower gear and the low end grunt was always there. Definitely 2 different animals but I have to say my Viper was A LOT funner for me to drive and I knew for me I made a mistake when I traded in my 2009 Viper for new the Z06 with the auto tranny.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-29-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:05 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
100%. Especially since my A8 tranny on my 2016 bone stock Z took a complete dump at 6,400 miles stranding me the roadway. Thank GOD for my warranty as the Vette is just about done now with a brand new A8 trans which has to be about an $8,000 repair with these cars and the labor cost.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:17 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Terry Burger07
If you want to keep a full warranty in place accept the car for how it comes from the factory. If how it comes is not how you'd like it and the minimal risk of a major failure is not a concern to you. Then modify the car to suit your specific needs.
Minimal risk of failure ? I don't think ANY of the transmission tuners here will offer a warranty on what they do if your transmission fails. They won't replace your transmission like GM will do if you have a problem during the warranty period. It is a very costly thing to do.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:07 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Right when you modify you assume the risk of fixing whatever breaks if your modification contributed to that failure. Also keep in mind to many of us the cost isn't really a big factor. If the car doesn't do what we want when we want it then its basically worthless. Others may have a different perspective. The great thing about modifications is if they are not for you then its easy not to install them.
lt1z (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:25 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

I would appreciate hearing from a C7 A8 owner that had the CoW A8 tune and what they believe was done and the outcome.

Is the manual shifting better?
With less lag?

....not that I have any plans for mine, but just curious about what can be done.

TTT

Chuck? Anyone have this done?
Results?

Old 12-01-2016, 05:46 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Tremec in owned by a company in Singapore
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
Tremec in owned by a company in Singapore
How do you figure?

TREMEC is a wholly owned business unit of Grupo KUO, S.A.B. de C.V., a diversified manufacturer of automotive, chemical and food products. The company exports its products to over 70 countries and is headquartered in Mexico City, Mexico.

Are you saying that Mexican company, Grupo KUO, is in turn owned by a Singapore company?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

TTT

Chuck? Anyone have this done?
Results?

No accomplished tuners on this forum or others have mentioned any ability to eliminate the present lag after shifting when using the paddles. In fact some of them have said it is not possible now. Future expansions of tuning software "may" provide that opportunity.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 transmission shift tune-Any Vendors/ideas?

Old 12-01-2016, 08:06 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
How do you figure?

TREMEC is a wholly owned business unit of Grupo KUO, S.A.B. de C.V., a diversified manufacturer of automotive, chemical and food products. The company exports its products to over 70 countries and is headquartered in Mexico City, Mexico.

Are you saying that Mexican company, Grupo KUO, is in turn owned by a Singapore company?
I think I made a mistake, I was looking to see if a German ZF had anything to do with them...some how I got Koul group...
Old 12-02-2016, 08:40 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Oooh, I've offended an elder. Relax grandpa, I'm just tired of people talking about the PDK relative to the Z06 and owning one doesn't change that. I've got an SMG that I don't mention, a TKO-600 that I ever talk about, and so on. Feel free not to talk about your PDK.

My actual point could be summarized as "Don't be the loser that randomizes a good A8 tuning thread with PDK ramblings", and I stand by that. See how Chuck COW actually answered the question instead of a completely useless and passive aggressive "Happy Thanksgiving and You Suck" line?

I was on the Vettenet listserv by 1991 so you're a noob to me anyway. I mean I think I dated Hib Halverson's sister for a while, that's how long ago it was.

LMAO, hardly an "elder" nor a grandpa, but I was being sincere about the Happy Thanksgiving (not a holiday that I f*ck with especially since I got to spend it here with my family instead of deployed to some God forsaken desert).

I understand your point, just not the smart *** manner in which it was made. I merely voiced an opinion, as is my right on this open forum, with the intent to parlay on the OP's original post, not troll. I could care less about getting into a discussion about DCT vs torque converter auto's. I am unhappy with the way the Z shifts and would relish a solution like Chuck's or hope that GM comes up with a software solution.

I don't recall us ever having an issue before, and I attempted to respond to your post in a civil manner, with my semi-rebuke at the end merely pointing out that my posting history and longevity on this board, should speak for itself with regards to questions of trolling or integrity.

I will leave it at that and not clutter this "good A8 tuning thread" with any more off topic back and forth banter between us. But, if you are ever in the area, I'd be happy to meet up over a beer and discuss cars and tuning all day long.

Unless, you've got a thing against drinking with a loser noob...
Old 12-02-2016, 09:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Quick Reply: A8 transmission shift tune-Any Vendors/ideas?