C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GSpeed C7 Z06 Cooling Development

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:07 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

With regard to your intercooler temps, I'm highly suspicious of intercooler pump flow.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

It's also worth mentioning that through this test, the car has been left in track/race mode, selecting its shifting behavior based off maximum performance. This is proven to greatly increase transmission temps over manual shifting where the driver is conscientiously keeping the system cooler rather than making peak power.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by spearfish25
With regard to your intercooler temps, I'm highly suspicious of intercooler pump flow.
So are we.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:31 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
So are we.
What you guys are doing is incredible! Really looking forward to the package that solves this problem which might be phased depending on the level the owner want so take it to. I am already on the list.

I had to read this thread a couple of times given lack of technical knowledge on modern forced induction cars, but I think I got it so far .

1) LG dual HX mounted in chin. Eliminate the factory HX in front of the factory radiator.
2) Aux engine cooling HX mounted horizontally and moved toward main cooling radiator and A8 horizontal HX moved forward. Primary coolant radiator gets coolant first and then aux radiator. I was amazed at the difference the routing made.

Have significantly reduced ECT but EOT and TOT still a problem.
You guys were running in drive (full auto???) That really is a test!!
forgive me if I fu*ked up the above so anyone please revise if wrong.

FWIW I believe others have either used a higher flow rate pump or dual pumps to replace the stock intercooler pump. Sounds like you guys are thinking the same way. Hope that helps or solves that problem.
Also, I believe there is still some more room below the factory A8 TOC. I measured about 1.5 to 2.0 inches. Might just be able to go with thicker TOC and lower the whole tray close to the aero "tray" on the bottom. I am sure you are way ahead on that thought process if there is any merit to it..

I notice that you guys have a wider splitter? below the factory Z07
one. Does that help with cooling????

Last edited by rsilver; 07-07-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by rsilver
What you guys are doing is incredible! Really looking forward to the package that solves this problem which might be phased depending on the level the owner want so take it to. I am already on the list.

I had to read this thread a couple of times given lack of technical knowledge on modern forced induction cars, but I think I got it so far .

1) LG dual HX mounted in chin. Eliminate the factory HX in front of the factory radiator.
2) Aux engine cooling HX mounted horizontally and moved toward main cooling radiator and A8 horizontal HX moved forward. Primary coolant radiator gets coolant first and then aux radiator. I was amazed at the difference the routing made.

FWIW I believe others have either used a higher flow rate pump or dual pumps to replace the stock intercooler pump. Sounds like you guys are thinking the same way. Hope that helps or solves that problem.
Also, I believe there is still some more room below the factory A8 TOC. I measured about 1.5 to 2.0 inches. Might just be able to go with thicker TOC and lower the whole tray close to the aero "tray" on the bottom. I am sure you are way ahead on that thought process if there is any merit to it..

That's correct. We're not done yet, but it seems to be a step in the right direction.

We've got an air gap below the horizontal heat exchangers, but that's to allow air to flow through them and out the back below them, not just across the top.

Jake
Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 PM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Wouldn't help! The heating of the air is thanks to compressing it not the housing that it's sat in!

In fact you could see higher IATs with a none conductive supercharger casing as the high temp air after the supercharger could not shed some (not a lot) of its heat out the SC casing.

What you really need to do is go all mad max and mount a top down blower setup that stick the hot bit (the SC) outside the hood in the nice cold airflow!
So are you saying the aluminum case of the callaway blower will be a significant aid in cooling the air charge into the motor?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by rsilver

Yep! We run all tests in full auto as it's the hardest on the system, and it's consistent.

We're working hard to show our steps and development, as two full years this problem has been around, and there's no full solution. It's asinine, honestly. We're piecemealing parts together, and building new ones as well as researching new possibilities.

Today's tests, a few posts up, we have TOC under 240, water under 225, and engine oil is hovering around 270. Never 280.

We're showing plateaus in temp, which is awesome and a step in the right direction.

We hope we can earn the forums trust and respect with our development, data, and willingness to try, learn, and share. When we finalize our cooling package, hopefully this knowledge finding mission and transparency earns us your business as There are sure to be copy cats and imitators. we plan to manufacture everything in house to insure everything is top notch, and built in a timely manner.

Thank you all for following along and pitching in ideas and making sure we don't miss anything

We at. GSpeed also need to thank Mike P, "operations" here, as this is his car, and we're running it twice, some times 3x per day. We're thankful for the opportunity and can't wait for him to run flag to flag in Texas heat!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:03 PM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by KEZ06
So are you saying the aluminum case of the callaway blower will be a significant aid in cooling the air charge into the motor?
Sorry to butt in but FWIW I believe its a 2.3L Eaton rotor pack with 3 brick intercooler designed by Callaway. So Instead of spinning at 20K it spins at 15K among other refinements . I would expect all of that to make more of a difference than the aluminum case on air charge. All of our "heatons" on the old 03 and 04 cobras overheated when over driven and needed intercooler and HX and port work.I suspect the small 1.7L has some impact on the whole cooling issue. Just my .02
Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

I just wanted to throw a kudos to the guys at GSpeed, they are doing a remarkable job tackling this project.
The following 5 users liked this post by Operations:
djpatrick35 (07-09-2016), johnglenntwo (07-07-2016), jrg77 (12-12-2016), rsilver (07-07-2016), tail_lights (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 PM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I personally am so impressed with the systematic way you are going at this issue! I for one am excited that you will come to a combination that will make these cars one of the best performing very reliable least expensive track cars produced. It is a crying shame that you do not have some external budget assistance. Just a thought would a GofundMe be worth a try?
The following users liked this post:
djpatrick35 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 10:34 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by KEZ06
I personally am so impressed with the systematic way you are going at this issue! I for one am excited that you will come to a combination that will make these cars one of the best performing very reliable least expensive track cars produced. It is a crying shame that you do not have some external budget assistance. Just a thought would a GofundMe be worth a try?
Hey, as long as you guys buy our parts, it's all worth it!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:18 PM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Hey, as long as you guys buy our parts, it's all worth it!
Definitely!!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:43 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
You have partially induced these extreme numbers running the A8 fully automatic. The further usage of the paddles, and short shifting on a greasy tire brake melting day gets one really in the ballpark of those reasonable expectations I would think!

Done?
We have a few more tests to run, and some verification on a few items, but other than that, we will build a second prototype for someone to test asap, and then go from there.

Certainly keep you guys posted.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:45 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

And yes, we did run in auto, as that was the most demanding. You can't give someone a piece of cake, and expect them not to eat it. The Ecu is smart, and picks the right gear for the situation. Let it do its work, and fix the other issues surrounding it.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:15 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

A few updates:

we have ordered a flow meter to monitor the coolant systems, and hope to gain a better understanding of what we have, both in the blower, and in the engine. There are some anomalies that we hope to break down further, and this should help.

Today's testing will be short, only investigating a few minor details.

Yesterday we did remove the fan and hood louver, and surprisingly, temps stayed with in 5*. We have seen a bigger drop when removing the fan in the past, but this test was something we needed to validate. This is obviously something for race cars only, but if we found 20+* like we have in the past, it would be worthy of further research.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:26 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

When you ran the car without a hood, any idea how much it impacted downforce? Did lap times go up significantly?
Old 07-08-2016, 09:48 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

I would have to defer that question to Operations, as he was driving that day. We were looking for huge temp changes, and in general, "painting with a wide brush" and that yeilded little to nothing, so we didn't put much effort into the hood scenario.

Laptimes, albeit very inconsistent due to the limp mode that day, didn't deviate much, and the conversation of lost front grip was never brought up, assumingly because it wasn't much of a problem.
The following users liked this post:
RS4EVA (07-08-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To GSpeed C7 Z06 Cooling Development

Old 07-08-2016, 10:21 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Adding a gurney flap to the front of the hood vent should increase airflow thru the vent.

Also adding the center air dam (under nose) that is on the base stingray would increase air flow thru engine bay, but also decrease front end downforce.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

GSpeed, have you guys considered using the chin spoilers as engine coolant rads and running the stock / your AUX cooler for the intercooler?

I have seen this done on some race cars (seat Cupra Rs) and it really worked well for them. They also had an intercooler up front blocking airflow to the rad.

Have you tested the stock LTR to see if it is upto the job of keeping intake temps down?

Last edited by chuntington101; 07-08-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:16 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick

You are mistaken's GMs efforts to cut costs with the appearance of the car and size.

First remember that the C7 platform is longer, there is a ton of room. TIKT, DP3 and LG have proven there is room for coolers. So we don't need to discuss size. There was even room for extra coolers in the ZR1, see the pic I posted above.

Second, there have been countless cars with side mounted coolers, floorpan mounted coolers, and so on. Actually, the most desireable sports car of the last decade all have massive cooler cutouts. It makes them more beautiful, not less. Forget about function, people love the form!
911 GT3,
911 GT4,
BMW M4,
AMG GT S,
Ferrari F12,
Jag F type R,

etc.
You may have misunderstood the point I was making.

When GM was designing the stingray/Z06 they had a certain shape/form in mind for the car to make it look like a Corvette. Within the restriction of that form their goal was to integrate functional cooling for the Z06 without disrupting the lines and appearance to drastically (staying in the bounds of good taste). There is a point they felt enlarging openings or hanging more drag inducing scoops disrupted their desired appearance of the car. Admittedly this was a subjective judgment call as appearance always is.

The point I was making is GM could have added plenty of additional cooling but they weren't willing to change the appearance of the Stingray form but so much to add it. Like it or not GM decided only a very small percentage of customers would be affected by cooling on hot days above 80* on the track at max performance for extended periods of time. 98% of their Z06 customers will never encounter this weakness.

911 GT3,
911 GT4,
BMW M4,
AMG GT S,
Ferrari F12,
Jag F type R,

You mention these cars while I wont get into specific differences of how each of these cars present different cooling challenges compared to a supercharged LT4, I will mention none of these produce the lap times of a Z06. And the Z06 produces at least over 120 ftlbs of torque more than the most powerful in your group. The Z06 also produces at least 100hp more than any in the group except the $330,000 NA Ferrari F12 V12.

So no these slower lapping (all of them) and less powerful cars (the NA F12 excepted) don't have cooling issues like the supercharged Z06.
And none of them shows up at the local track unmodified expecting to race and win with a warranty in tact. Only unrealistic C7 Z06 driver's expect to do that. LMAO.

Lastly you and others mention all the room the Z06 has for additional coolers but you fail to mention how this extra cooling hardware affects the already borderline inside cockpit temps for the driver and passenger in everyday driving. Or how it affects other systems integrated in the car over time. If done correctly there may be little penalty but this remains to be seen.

Again I applaud the effort being made by the OP's. There is a demand for this product. Hopefully the end result will be a solution for those 3 or 400 Z06 drivers who track their cars in 80+ degree heat. But as you see the solution will likely require modifications to the appearance of the car that many (even some serious track rats) may not be willing to make. GM knew this and decided for 98% of Z06 owners the car is outstanding and within their expectations for daily use.

Quick Reply: GSpeed C7 Z06 Cooling Development