C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Intercooler Pump Cavitation & Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 08:31 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed

no no, I understand pump flow, and the pros and cons to one vs two pumps, and how these pumps operate. The struggle is that it’s not an issue for us anymore. We have fixed the issue as stated.
Gotcha. I was surprised by the initial response.

Personal opinion is that this is being way over complicated which I believe mirrors your opinion

Step one... Gravity feed the pump from a tank. Personally I would remount the pump so that it also feeds from the top instead of the side instead of just swapping around hoses.

Step 2...If you still have issues, get rid of the pump that shuts down when it aerates

Last edited by atljar; 08-04-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:35 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

no no, I understand pump flow, and the pros and cons to one vs two pumps, and how these pumps operate. The struggle is that it’s not an issue for us anymore. We have fixed the issue as stated.
Gotcha. I was surprised by the initial response.

Personal opinion is that this is being way over complicated.
Step one... Gravity feed the pump from a tank. Personally I would remount the pump so that it also feeds from the top instead of the side instead of just swapping around hoses.

Step 2...If you still have issues, get rid of the pump that shuts down when it cavitates
Old 08-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

mike, your facts seem to be really inconsistent. I’ll order both pump, and you’ll see they are the same.

GM believes the orientation is key to the pumps long term survival, and thus one is meant to be oriented vertically, and the other sideways... yes they are the same pump essentially... no... they are not the same part number. My facts are correct. The zr1 uses one of each pump.. both part numbers. This is not an accident or GM wanting to make things more complicated... if they were the same pump, they would use the same part numbers on both sides of the car... but they dont use the same PN on both sides.

The pumps are not the same. Your facts are wrong, and you are putting me on the defesnse now because you keep pretending you know what you are talking about, so much that you can tell me i dont know what im talking about, and am some fool on the topic, instead of do research on what im saying before you tell me it is not true.

You are proving the inverse every time you counter me.

And yes, there are customers of yours who still have 3 min shutdown, but its much less often, so they don't complain to you, as the added cooling is enough to keep them happy...

However, im trying to solve the problem completely, i want no shut downs ever.

And the zr1 may have completely solved it already, and it has NO res tank at all.

Sorry, but that is reality

Why are you guys are not data logging a zr1? (other than they are hard to get hands on, but im sure there are people on the forum who race them who could supply you the data logs needed to determine if they shut down for 3 min, EVER. If they dont, 2 pumps are the way to go)

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-04-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:36 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
GM believes the orientation is key to the pumps long term survival, and thus one is meant to be oriented vertically, and the other sideways... yes they are the same pump essentially... no... they are not the same part number. My facts are correct. The zr1 uses one of each pump.. both part numbers. This is not an accident or GM wanting to make things more complicated... if they were the same pump, they would use the same part numbers on both sides of the car... but they dont use the same PN on both sides.

The pumps are not the same. Your facts are wrong, and you are putting me on the defesnse now because you keep pretending you know what you are talking about, so much that you can tell me i dont know what im talking about, and am some fool on the topic, instead of do research on what im saying before you tell me it is not true.

You are proving the inverse every time you counter me.

And yes, there are customers of yours who still have 3 min shutdown, but its much less often, so they don't complain to you, as the added cooling is enough to keep them happy...

However, im trying to solve the problem completely, i want no shut downs ever.

And the zr1 may have completely solved it already, and it has NO res tank at all.

Sorry, but that is reality

Why are you guys are not data logging a zr1? (other than they are hard to get hands on, but im sure there are people on the forum who race them who could supply you the data logs needed to determine if they shut down for 3 min, EVER. If they dont, 2 pumps are the way to go)
I wouldn’t base something on “why would GM”. Why would GM make a car that you have to do this much research and put forth this much effort for it to operate properly. Second why log the ZR1 when it’s just a copy of LG, Tikt & G-Speed. Also GM has a different part number for the front spindles on a C7z for 2019 and there is zero difference between it and earlier MY’s.

Last edited by Dane@LGmotorsports; 08-04-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports

I wouldn’t base something on “why would GM”. Why would GM make a car that you have to do this much reasearch and put forth this much effort for it to operate properly. Second why log the ZR1 when it’s just a copy of LG, Tikt & G-Speed. Also GM has a different part number for the front spindles on a C7z for 2019 and there is zero difference between it and earlier MY’s.

year to year part numbers change... but they dont use the same part on the car twice, and give it a different part number, unless the 2 parts are different. There are 2 different pumps on the zr1.

IF gm didn't use a res, they didn't copy your system... adding heat exchangers to a car, is common sense.... which they should have done with the z06, but whatever.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-05-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:54 AM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Manufacturers use different part numbers for the same thing all the time. I’m in aviation and it’s frustrating, but see it a lot.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jlbjr
Manufacturers use different part numbers for the same thing all the time. I’m in aviation and it’s frustrating, but see it a lot.
not on the same year car, from production. It would not be 2 different part numbers. I have the other pump on order, which ends in 02, i will test it soon and show side by side comparison. It even specifies that the 02 cant be used in the stock z06 pump location, in the pumps description, it is only for caddy and camaro. They are different.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:01 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

A certain part may mount in two different locations left, right, or up and down. The bolt pattern may be mirrored for an opposing side. Same part different part numbers.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

A certain part may mount in two different locations left, right, or up and down. The bolt pattern may be mirrored for an opposing side. Same part different part numbers.
that would be the bracket they bolt to... would change part numbers. you hit it on the head when you said parts may be engineered to mount up or down... like a pump and which way its inlet and outlet are made to point.

you'll find that the 02 pump, the inlet is always pointing up, and the 03 pump, the inlet is always pointed sideways. ... no matter what car GM uses them in, no matter which bracket they mount to. There is a reason, and it is likely a lot more than the "bracket", which is already separate piece and part number, changing from car to car.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-05-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:48 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

If the bracket comes with the pump, the entire assembly will get a different part number, even if the pumps are the same.

The other option is firmware/software within the pump. If thats different, that too would require a different part number.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:48 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

I knew you would say that.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by atljar
If the bracket comes with the pump, the entire assembly will get a different part number, even if the pumps are the same.

The other option is firmware/software within the pump. If thats different, that too would require a different part number.
bracket sold seperately... different part number all together. not a package deal.

pump having a different brain... i agree, it might. Thats why i bought one and as soon as it gets here i will test it. I mentioned this long ago in this thread.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

I knew you would say that.
i have the same premonitions myself sometimes, that in normal conversation, some people will tell truth and speak what is common sense, also.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-05-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:51 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

not on the same year car, from production. It would not be 2 different part numbers. I have the other pump on order, which ends in 02, i will test it soon and show side by side comparison. It even specifies that the 02 cant be used in the stock z06 pump location, in the pumps description, it is only for caddy and camaro. They are different.
You mentioned you had ordered both pumps. Any updates?
Mikec7z (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

ive been out of town a couple weeks, and the 2nd pump is sitting at the post office by my home. ill let you know as soon as i play with it, prob make a video of it working etc. Sorry for delay
Old 08-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Alright guys, got the pump ending in 02, and now i just need to get the 5 pin connector to plug in, and with that being said, i have no clue which wires will need what voltage, and i dont want to just play russian roulette because i might cook the pump's brain if i put too much power to one of the pins.

Anyone have any advice? GSpeed, how did you guys go about this, probably had it plugged into a car im guessing? I would REALLY prefer not to have to take my car apart just to power this pump. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:32 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

On the LT4 pumps, pin 4 is ground, 1 and 5 are 12v
Mikec7z (08-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Intercooler Pump Cavitation & Shutdown

Old 08-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

both 1 and 5 are the same polarity 12v? both positive correct? Or one of each pos/neg?

Is 4 on the left or the right side in this image? The clip/tab/catch is on the top of the plug in on this photo.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:06 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

both 1 and 5 are the same polarity 12v? both positive correct? Or one of each pos/neg?

Is 4 on the left or the right side in this image? The clip/tab/catch is on the top of the plug in on this photo.
There's not really polarity in a DC system like there would be in AC. You either have 12v (+) or you have a ground (-)

Pins 1 and 5 both need battery +12v. It can be the same wire just split to two different pins. Pin 4 is ground.

The pin Numbers are written on the inside of the connector

Last edited by atljar; 08-21-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Mikec7z (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

ill buy the clip tomorrow. Thank you for the help. Had i had it in my hand already, i probably would have noticed the numbers

... then again, probably not, because i just noticed the numbers are below each pin in the pump... dark in there tho, so hard to spot.

So we are positive that pin 2 and 3 are useless... and not part of a relay that comes on when the car hits a certain temp? Or do those output a signal back to the car that the pump is on when it is on?

Thank you again.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Pump Cavitation & Shutdown