C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 Cooling Survey

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:22 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts
Default Z06 Cooling Survey

As many of you are aware, we're working on a cooling package for the C7 Z06 overheating problems, and we're having some great results with our prototype package. The time has come to start production planning, and we'd like the community's help in figuring out how seriously to pursue this.

We're still figuring out the final configurations, but this package will address the following problems with the Z06:
  • Supercharger Coolant Overheat
  • Engine Coolant Overheat
  • Transmission Fluid Overheat
  • Engine Oil Overheat

At this point, we need to figure out how much more work to put into the production kit. We can make the car never, ever overheat without cutting holes in the bumper, but it will be much more expensive than the current prototype pictured above. Community interest will help us decide which option to pursue.

This survey asks the following questions:
  • What would you be willing to pay?
  • How much is it worth to you, to not cut holes in the bumper?

http://goo.gl/forms/fjzGsEB1fLeu1pKt2

We'd also like to hear any other thoughts you have on bringing these parts to market. If you supply your CF.com username on the survey, we will provide a discount code for this kit when it reaches the market. All answers will be kept confidential, and will not be published.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-GSpeed Development Team
The following users liked this post:
Kazman1960 (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 01:52 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

submitted! thanks for the opportunity to provide input
Old 07-12-2016, 02:15 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Done
Old 07-12-2016, 02:35 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Done. Forgot to comment that I'd rather not touch oil lines. I'm fine with cutting the bumper though.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:47 PM
TG's Z
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Submitted!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:04 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Don't own a C7Z, but submitted.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:10 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Excellent work so far guys.

Some thoughts on bringing it to market and the questions in the survey.

A 'non-cutting' fascia option would be excellent but personally I would find it hard to justify the cost if it's more expensive than simply buying a new fascia with painting it. However, there is some intrinsic value to simplicity of installation without the extra steps of painting.

Do you think this 'non-cutting' option would be ready soon or is significant R&D still required? It seemed the airflow through the OEM grill was part of the issue. Simply not enough area. I'd be very curious to hear how you'd keep the stock opening and make this all work equally well to the 'cutting' approach.

Last edited by spearfish25; 07-12-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:30 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by spearfish25
A 'non-cutting' fascia option would be excellent but personally I would find it hard to justify the cost if it's more expensive than simply buying a new fascia with painting it. However, there is some intrinsic value to simplicity of installation without the extra steps of painting.

Do you think this 'non-cutting' option would be ready soon or is significant R&D still required? It seemed the airflow through the OEM grill was part of the issue. Simply not enough area. I'd be very curious to hear how you'd keep the stock opening and make this all work equally well to the 'cutting' approach.
There's some R&D required still. Basically, there are more exotic heat exchangers we can draw on from other industries, but it would add a lot of cost to the system. This survey will help us determine if those exotic options would be worth our time.

Jake
Old 07-12-2016, 03:56 PM
One Curve at a time
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Survey answered.

For street usage, maybe they could re-use the bumper cut parts so they can cover the air dams?... Something with clips that wouldn't look too Nascar alike..
Old 07-12-2016, 05:29 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by One Curve at a time
Survey answered.

For street usage, maybe they could re-use the bumper cut parts so they can cover the air dams?... Something with clips that wouldn't look too Nascar alike..
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking. You mean to cover the front-facing intercooler radiators? Assuming for cold weather, that shouldn't be a concern. The ECU automatically disables the intercooler pump when temperatures are too low, and our system won't change that.

Jake
Old 07-12-2016, 05:49 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

I would prefer to cut the bumper if it can be made to look good. The GT3RS has big openings up front and they look great. I think it just needs to be well executed. Right now I prefer the look without the trim pieces than with - but it still needs something. I do think a grill of sorts would be good.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:04 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Survey answered. I have no problem with buying a new bumper and getting you guys to install what you can. I can take care of the paint or wrap it. I wonder about intermediate steps. i.e what if one just used the Aux radiator and intercooler reservoir (without air), any idea of what the ambient limits would be with that set up? Or just the twin HX front end without the Aux radiator. What is the consensus regarding warranty? I realize with modified cars the warranty is always at risk. I also realize this may be an all or nothing deal to make sense for you guys, but thought I would ask about a phased cooling improvement. Hope you get enough interest to be able to make this available.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by rsilver
Survey answered. I have no problem with buying a new bumper and getting you guys to install what you can. I can take care of the paint or wrap it. I wonder about intermediate steps. i.e what if one just used the Aux radiator and intercooler reservoir (without air), any idea of what the ambient limits would be with that set up? Or just the twin HX front end without the Aux radiator. What is the consensus regarding warranty? I realize with modified cars the warranty is always at risk. I also realize this may be an all or nothing deal to make sense for you guys, but thought I would ask about a phased cooling improvement. Hope you get enough interest to be able to make this available.
All parts we make have a warranty against manufacturer defects. Given the use case of these parts (racing/motorsports) we can't guarantee more than that.

We will certainly try to have a phased options for different use cases. As we get a better understanding of what the production parts look like, we'll be able to provide more information.

Thanks for your input.

Jake
rsilver (07-13-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Ok...I'll cut the bumper to save some coin. Find a nice black grill to put in those cutouts along with black radiators and it'll look great.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

You guys pretty much already know my thoughts, but I'll officially say "I'm ok with the cut bumper, especially if it's tastefully executed."

Last edited by Operations; 07-12-2016 at 08:34 PM.
GSpeed (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 10:10 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Operations
You guys pretty much already know my thoughts, but I'll officially say "I'm ok with the cut bumper, especially if it's tastefully executed."

Jake was hoping for a curve ball, you know, "hey guys, I don't think I want to cut my bumper....."
tail_lights (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Jake was hoping for a curve ball, you know, "hey guys, I don't think I want to cut my bumper....."
I thought about it

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Cooling Survey

Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The kit should simply come with a pre-modified (non-painted) front bumper for a more pain free installation without people butchering their cars hoping they do it right. Or make a mold of a properly cut bumper and source an aftermarket vendor who is capable of replicating the bumper to a high enough standard that the C7 community would agree to run.

This way, no one is required to cut their factory bumpers and paint up for any future needs including resale.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:51 PM
JRRZR1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyway to use the brake cooling ducts to supply air to the HX? Will they supply enough air? We can run a brake cooling duct similar to the one used on the ACR. The duct attaches to the lower control arm. I have a keen interest in a kit since the only reason I have owned my last few Vettes was to track them.

Last edited by JRRZR1; 07-13-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by lane_change
The kit should simply come with a pre-modified (non-painted) front bumper for a more pain free installation without people butchering their cars hoping they do it right. Or make a mold of a properly cut bumper and source an aftermarket vendor who is capable of replicating the bumper to a high enough standard that the C7 community would agree to run.

This way, no one is required to cut their factory bumpers and paint up for any future needs including resale.
Bumpers from GM are surprisingly cheap. I think we paid about $240 for the one we cut up. That's definitely an option. Might be some delay associated with that option, of course, but we can totally do that.

Originally Posted by JRRZR1
Anyway to use the brake cooling ducts to supply air to the HX? Will they supply enough air? We can run a brake cooling duct similar to the one used on the ACR. The duct attaches to the lower control arm. I have a keen interest in a kit since the only reason I have owned my last few Vettes was to track them.
No, there's just not enough surface area exposed. The cheek coolers add over 150 in² of front-facing surface area. They're not the most aesthetically pleasing solution out there, but there's a fundamentally good reason they work.

Not to mention the crash bar and frame around the brake ducts make packaging in a heat exchanger more difficult than you'd think.

Jake

Quick Reply: Z06 Cooling Survey