C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Engine problems with my 6-month old Z06

Old 07-19-2016, 11:47 PM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine problems with my 6-month old Z06

I have to say I'm really bummed. I took delivery of my Z06 / Z07 convertible in early February, and it's the wildest, most beautiful car I've ever owned. Absolutely love it, aside from almost killing myself several times and a few changes of underwear. Only 1800 miles on it, out driving in it on Sunday, somewhat harmlessly blew past a slow driver, and suddenly I heard what sounded like a wounded lifter. Tapping like an old typewriter. Took it to Chevy today. They first thought it was because they used the wrong oil (didn't use a non-foaming synthetic) on the first oil change, but after another oil change it was no better. It's headed for the dealer again on Monday, and they believe it is likely a cam & lifter replacement, but they've also suggested GM won't let them rebuild it, and I may be looking at a complete engine swap. Not happy. I heard there were some issues in 2015 with the Tonawanda plant, but I also read where they got to the bottom of the issues (metal filings left in the crank case) and they fixed the process. My questions are:

- Anyone else have a similiar issue? If so, what was the outcome?
- I'm assuming that because my car would no longer be numbers matching, I'm going to take a hit on resale value. Or will I? Would the car get some additional consideration being that it was an early failure replaced by the factory under warranty?

Thanks much for your comments.
Attached Images    
Old 07-20-2016, 10:39 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issue.

Lifter fail happened to me as well.
Unfortunately, the dealership I had it repaired at, went ahead and replaced the lifter/tappets without changing the cam. Had I known they were going to do that, would have demanded a new engine.

Then the diff died. Took em well over a month to R & R due to some kind of backorder......

My buyback is complete, and am now Vettless as of yesterday.

Therefore, today's announcement of cooling improvements certified for track use in 100℉ ambient was nice to hear.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:54 PM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Ouch. Not good. I'm no engine mechanic, but even I know you don't fix a lifter problem without replacing the cam.

If you don't mind me asking, how many miles on it at the first failure, then the second failure? Was this a lemon law buy-back? Did you get the full price of what you paid for the car?

Originally Posted by DLC7
Sorry to hear of your issue.

Lifter fail happened to me as well.
Unfortunately, the dealership I had it repaired at, went ahead and replaced the lifter/tappets without changing the cam. Had I known they were going to do that, would have demanded a new engine.

Then the diff died. Took em well over a month to R & R due to some kind of backorder......

My buyback is complete, and am now Vettless as of yesterday.

Therefore, today's announcement of cooling improvements certified for track use in 100℉ ambient was nice to hear.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

they replaced my rear end at 500 miles.had it for 2 days,did a great job.2100 miles no problems.demand a new engine.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:02 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ddinunzio
Ouch. Not good. I'm no engine mechanic, but even I know you don't fix a lifter problem without replacing the cam.

If you don't mind me asking, how many miles on it at the first failure, then the second failure? Was this a lemon law buy-back? Did you get the full price of what you paid for the car?
1. 7400 miles, than 7800 miles i believe.
2.No. It was a straight buyback.
3.No. But i will say it was an satisfactory amount, and handled professionally by Customer Care Dept.
The following users liked this post:
ddinunzio (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,916 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Unless you plan on keeping the car for 20+ years numbers matching doesn't really mean a thing. However, if you do keep it that long being the original owner that is selling the car and having all of the dealer supplied repair orders showing a warranty replacement more than likely will over ride any originality concerns. I blew the engine in my 08 C6Z in 2011 and GM replaced it under warranty. When I traded the car for my 15 Z in 2015 nobody cared about the engine not being original, just that it had been replaced properly. I got the same market value for the car as if it had the original engine.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-21-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:04 AM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Thank you Bill, that's really great to hear. I appreciate you responding to my thread. Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Unless you plan on keeping the car for 20+ years numbers matching doesn't really mean a thing. However, if you do keep it that long being the original owner that is selling the car and having all of the dealer supplied repair orders showing a warranty replacement more than likely will over ride any originality concerns. I blew the engine in my 08 C6Z in 2011 and GM replaced it under warranty. When I traded the car for my 15 Z in 2015 nobody cared about the engine not being original, just that it had been replaced properly. I got the same market value for the car as if it had the original engine.

Bill
Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I don't know if it shows up in Carfax, but it would show up if someone searched dealership service records.

I'd take the new engine but only if they're fairly certain of what they're fixing, or at least that it's deep and internal. It really beats having them do an engine teardown unless you have a stellar tech, and it's so hard to know in advance who you're dealing with unless you really know the dealership.

I would not sweat "numbers matching". I had my rear end replaced at 500 miles and the thought of it crossing the block at Barrett Jackson in 2045 did cross my mind (you know, it has an asterisk because it's not original rear end) but reality returned quickly... no one will ever care.

And you'll have your solid, fun, Z06 back to drive again (after another breakin period!)

Last edited by davepl; 07-21-2016 at 01:38 PM.
2019 ZR1 (08-05-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 11:02 PM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Default An interesting development...

Thanks again to everyone who provided a comment.

I spoke to the owner of the dealer I bought the car from up in PA, who is well connected within GM, and also a big motor-head. He called GM and was told the following:

- The repair will have to cost at least 80% of the cost of a new engine before GM will approve a swap. If it's a simple lifter and CAM repair, I'm OK with that.

- More surprisingly, he was told that GM stopped stamping the VIN on the engines "some number of years ago", however they didn't quantify. Allegedly the only number on the block is the casting number, which would obviously not be unique to just my car. If that's true, an engine swap should not be a problem. I already shared this with the local dealer here in SC, and they will attempt to verify this.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I don't know if it shows up in Carfax, but it would show up if someone searched dealership service records.

I'd take the new engine but only if they're fairly certain of what they're fixing, or at least that it's deep and internal. It really beats having them do an engine teardown unless you have a stellar tech, and it's so hard to know in advance who you're dealing with unless you really know the dealership.

I would not sweat "numbers matching". I had my rear end replaced at 500 miles and the thought of it crossing the block at Barrett Jackson in 2045 did cross my mind (you know, it has an asterisk because it's not original rear end) but reality returned quickly... no one will ever care.

And you'll have your solid, fun, Z06 back to drive again (after another breakin period!)
Old 07-22-2016, 01:18 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Sorry to hear but on a side note, my car looks fantastic!
*you and I have the same color and equipment options!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 AM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Nice ride! Yes, I LOVE long beach red! Really happy with all of the option and color choices.

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Sorry to hear but on a side note, my car looks fantastic!
*you and I have the same color and equipment options!
Old 07-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Baha z06
Advanced

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I too had engine problems with my '16 Z. It began to consume oil, so the dealership went diving in to see the issue. There was a tremendous amount of carbon buildup with only 13,500 miles on the car and they found a damaged cylinder wall, so GM decided the engine needed replaced. It took about 9 business days for the dealership to get the engine then another 3 for the install.

It came back to me with less throttle response than what I had come to know before the issues. It was determined that the MAF sensor was dirty, so they cleaned it up and as of now it has been performing like it used to. It's good to hear they don't number the motor anymore.

Best of luck to you and your car.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:06 PM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Thanks for your comments Baha. So sorry to hear about what you went though, including a second repair. All you wanted to do was drive it again once you got it back, only to have to send it back again. At least they resolved it and you're happy. And... if what I was told was true, you're also in better shape with GM no longer stamping the VIN on the block.

Originally Posted by Baha z06
Sorry to hear of your problems.

I too had engine problems with my '16 Z. It began to consume oil, so the dealership went diving in to see the issue. There was a tremendous amount of carbon buildup with only 13,500 miles on the car and they found a damaged cylinder wall, so GM decided the engine needed replaced. It took about 9 business days for the dealership to get the engine then another 3 for the install.

It came back to me with less throttle response than what I had come to know before the issues. It was determined that the MAF sensor was dirty, so they cleaned it up and as of now it has been performing like it used to. It's good to hear they don't number the motor anymore.

Best of luck to you and your car.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Numbers matching isn't even a thing anymore. As your dealer said, there hasn't been vin specific numbers on blocks/heads/etc for a long long time.
ddinunzio (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:24 PM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Well... after a couple of weeks, the motor has been pulled, and the problem was found. Metal bits in the oil, spun rod bearing. Not good. I gave them the go-ahead for a new motor. Not a happy camper. Yet another Corvette motor failure with metal bits in the oil. GM is looking to see what I want for compensation. Does anyone know anything about what they can offer me? What I can ask for?
Attached Images    
Old 08-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Well... after a couple of weeks, the motor has been pulled, and the problem was found. Metal bits in the oil, spun rod bearing. Not good. I gave them the go-ahead for a new motor. Not a happy camper. Yet another Corvette motor failure with metal bits in the oil. GM is looking to see what I want for compensation. Does anyone know anything about what they can offer me? What I can ask for?
Ask them to buy the car back and get a 17'.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:41 PM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Ask them to buy the car back and get a 17'.
The dealer's initial offer was a year of free oil changes or a year of OnStar. Nope... They're asking me to quantify my costs, which is ultimately loss of resale value no longer having a numbers matching Z06. I do now have a case opened with GM corporate. Trying to educate myself so I can hopefully find out what is the most I can expect. By the time the new engine is delivered and installed the car will have been in the shop for more than 30-days, which does put it into Lemon Law territory.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine problems with my 6-month old Z06

Old 08-05-2016, 05:25 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

I thought this issue had been discovered and remedied way prior to the date you took delivery of your car.. and that the 500 mile oil change would help IF anything was still in there.. this is disconcerting as mine was ordered and then delivered in December of last year, prior to yours.

Did you order the vehicle or was it a dealer stock purchase? Just wondering about time frames and when yours might have been built.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:31 PM
ddinunzio
Cruising

Originally Posted by azcanuk
I thought this issue had been discovered and remedied way prior to the date you took delivery of your car.. and that the 500 mile oil change would help IF anything was still in there.. this is disconcerting as mine was ordered and then delivered in December of last year, prior to yours.

Did you order the vehicle or was it a dealer stock purchase? Just wondering about time frames and when yours might have been built.
Thanks for your response. It did have it's first oil change a few weeks before the issue happened. The car was ordered in late December of 2015, built early in January (I believe), and delivered in late January. It was a custom order - not from dealer stock.
azcanuk (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 07:41 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel bad for your situation. There are great deals on leftover 16's so the dealer or GM shouldn't be out if they find a new 16' for you. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine problems with my 6-month old Z06