C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 crashed on floor jack - disturbing story!!

Old 07-20-2016, 05:00 PM
vettedennis
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 crashed on floor jack - disturbing story!!

I'm updating this with pictures!

I just traded up from a black 2015 Stingray to a 2016 Corvette Z06. I hit a nail in the road my first time out with it, so I took my brand new Vette back home and got it up on the stands. I’ve used floor jacks and pads 1000s of times with no worries. I know how to reach the right lift points, so that wasn’t the problem. I get the wheel off ok. At one point I’m at my bench with my back to the car and I hear the most terrible sound I’ve ever heard in my life. The 1-1/4 ton floor jack and Z06 crashed to the floor, cracked the fender, sill, door and cost over 3K in repairs.

Consider myself lucky it wasn’t worse.

Never been more heartbroken in my life. A few days later I’m sitting at home watching discovery channel and a commercial for this Quickjack portable lift comes on. I didn’t think I could get a lift before because I have a small two car garage and I always worried about price. So this one seems affordable, and when I spoke to the pros at Quickjack they answered all my questions and concerns, and I was amazed at how inexpensive the whole system was! I am expecting delivery of my new (and SAFE) jacking system next week sometime. I would recommend to anyone, if you are as crazy about cars as I am, don't make the costly mistake I did ($3600.00 worth of damage) buy chancing lifting YOUR car up with any type jack except the "QUICKJACK" As far as storing the jack, the folks at QUICKJACK informed me because it is only 3" high when not in use, it fits nicely under the center of the car when parked in my small garage!!

Stay tuned as I will be sending pics over the next week or so of the jack in action, can't wait for the delivery!

Dennis V
Coram, NY

Last edited by vettedennis; 08-22-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Popular Reply

07-20-2016, 11:44 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedennis
I just traded up from a black 2015 Stingray to a 2016 Corvette Z06. I hit a nail in the road my first time out with it, so I took my brand new Vette back home and got it up on the stands. I’ve used floor jacks and pads 1000s of times with no worries. I know how to reach the right lift points, so that wasn’t the problem. I get the wheel off ok. At one point I’m at my bench with my back to the car and I hear the most terrible sound I’ve ever heard in my life. The 1-1/4 ton floor jack and Z06 crashed to the floor, cracked the fender, sill, door and cost over 3K in repairs.

Never been more heartbroken in my life. A few days later I’m sitting at home watching discovery channel and a commercial for this Quickjack portable lift comes on. I didn’t think I could get a lift before because I have a small two car garage and I always worried about price. So this one seems affordable, and when I spoke to the pros at Quickjack they answered all my questions and concerns, and I was amazed at how inexpensive the whole system was! I am expecting delivery of my new (and SAFE) jacking system next week sometime. I would recommend to anyone, if you are as crazy about cars as I am, don't make the costly mistake I did ($3600.00 worth of damage) buy chancing lifting YOUR car up with any type jack except the "QUICKJACK" As far as storing the jack, the folks at QUICKJACK informed me because it is only 3" high when not in use, it fits nicely under the center of the car when parked in my small garage!!

Stay tuned as I will be sending pics over the next week or so of the jack in action, can't wait for the delivery!

Dennis V
Coram, NY
Darn sorry to hear but can't help from thinking this just an advertisement for QUICKJACK. Since this is your second post your first was today telling about your new car then a few hours later this story and plus I never heard of a 1 and 1/4 ton floor jack.
Then how do you get 3k in damage jacking the car. Sorry but not really buying it without a lot of photos.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

FIRST RULE of safety with floor jacks»»»»»»»»»»Use Jack stands at all times.

Lemme guess......Harbor Freight floor Jack.....? No surprise it failed.
The following users liked this post:
houdini13 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:55 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

I think the quickjack was definitely worth it and it makes lifting the car really easy.

Attachment 48191693

Last edited by B-Myster; 07-13-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 PM
pewter50vette
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I second the jack stands, i am always afraid of floor jacks as the only support of the car always use stands and leave the jack under for another safety feature .

Happy to hear no one got hurt parts are easy to change .
Old 07-20-2016, 10:02 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Dennis V
Coram, NY
Dennis...sorry to hear of your mishap. Please tell us more about the failure. Did the jack break? Did the jack stands tip? Did the car roll and tip the jacks? A little more information may help many of us avoid the same type of issue.

Last edited by vettetwo; 07-20-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:03 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

Quickjack is one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. I had a car slide away from a jack while lifting it and the jack wiped out a rear rocker. Sucked. I decided I was done with the corner lifting and car tilted approach. Quickjack is like a whole new world. Line it up, hold the UP button and watch her lift. I love mine.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Quickjack is one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. I had a car slide away from a jack while lifting it and the jack wiped out a rear rocker. Sucked. I decided I was done with the corner lifting and car tilted approach. Quickjack is like a whole new world. Line it up, hold the UP button and watch her lift. I love mine.
How much and where can i find a set.You still need the pucks of course right?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:09 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DLC7
FIRST RULE of safety with floor jacks»»»»»»»»»»Use Jack stands at all times.

Lemme guess......Harbor Freight floor Jack.....? No surprise it failed.
I have a couple Harbor Freight Pittsburgh low profile floor jacks that have worked well but I always use jack stands for extra safety. What brand of low profile floor jacks are considered the best quality, and/or safest?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:26 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by B-Myster
I think the quickjack was definitely worth it and it makes lifting the car really easy.

Do you have special lift pucks for the side skirts?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:44 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Dennis V
Coram, NY
Darn sorry to hear but can't help from thinking this just an advertisement for QUICKJACK. Since this is your second post your first was today telling about your new car then a few hours later this story and plus I never heard of a 1 and 1/4 ton floor jack.
Then how do you get 3k in damage jacking the car. Sorry but not really buying it without a lot of photos.
The following 8 users liked this post by 3 Z06ZR1:
Ahmed_otb (07-24-2016), Bucknut2006 (08-05-2016), Dabigsnake (07-22-2016), Lavender (07-21-2016), ROBWILKER (07-22-2016), sunsalem (07-21-2016), USMC 0802 (07-21-2016), utahvett (07-22-2016) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I have used floor jacks and jackstands for years. At this moment, I have 2 Vettes in the air on jackstands. As others have asked, please explain how a car supported by jackstands falls off and causes damage. Not doubting anything but just want to learn. Never to old for that.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:29 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1

Agree 100%.
This sounds like a load of crap.
S.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 AM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Agree as well

Last edited by Oleman; 07-21-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:07 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Damn, you beat me to it. This guy is a load of crap. One of the weakest attempts at free advertising I've seen in a long time.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:11 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

The biggest flag I see with his post is that he's on here posting a glowing review of a product that arrives next week.
MRHTRD (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 08:11 AM
StreetLegalH2R
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts

If I call within the next 15 minutes to order one, do I get a set of oven mitts for free?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:15 AM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Do you have special lift pucks for the side skirts?
Nope, just a single hockey puck with an eye bolt through the center at each lifting spot.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 crashed on floor jack - disturbing story!!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:21 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by StreetLegalH2R
If I call within the next 15 minutes to order one, do I get a set of oven mitts for free?
No but they will send you a second Quickjack for free, you just pay separate shipping and processing.

Last edited by MSG C5; 07-21-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 AM
vettedennis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I wish I took pictures for you, but I don't know how to get them on here. When it's delivered I'll show you guys why I bought quickjack...

with PICTURES!!!

Glad to hear you love it, I'm hoping for the same reaction.

Dennis
Old 07-21-2016, 11:32 AM
vettedennis
Intermediate

Then somebody should pay me for my time.
I'm here because my friend who also loves corvettes who I am visiting told me to tell me story HERE. I've NEVER done this before. That is why my friend you don't know me.
I took the car right from my garage to the shop. I didn't think about taking pictures till after. The fender was cracked, sill badly damaged, door crunched up on the bottom. I'll get pictures of my car when it's back.

Dennis
Flying22low (08-04-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 crashed on floor jack - disturbing story!!