C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Forced induction chillers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

I certainly am not up to speed with who came up with the idea first, but I am interested. The theory makes sense. After reading both pages of this post, then getting the info from this guy, it seems like he is doing it different than described here and may just be onto something. Back in my young days, we made spray bars to shoot nitrous on the outside of front mount intercoolers in the MKIV supras and it worked, period. This idea/system has many similarities - while the guy doesnt have a Z06 on hand for measurements, I might just make this a mod something I am willing to try on mine. Living in so. cal I know what our summers and sitting in traffic can do to the IAT, and i much prefer my Z when its pulling hard on a cool 60 degree morning.....
Attached Images
Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 AM
GenF-GTS
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey I am actually the Australian rip off con artist you are referring to.
No I absolutely did not come up with the first interchiller, that people goes to Daimler Chrysler.

We have seen a trend in the US market place that being "interchillers suck, they don't work, your cabin AC is ****, don't waste your money, they leak...etc"

And sadly the US market has been long tarnished with poor results from poorly made products. Something we have had to actually work very hard to convince and show people otherwise. Even Earl in this very thread we have replaced his chiller that he posted previously as it didn't get anywhere near as cold as our system....and that was a standalone AC system!

Originally I saw the concept on the camaro5 forum, actually wanted to order his kit for my own car and install it and move along with my life, never intended to start a business from this.
Anyway long story short contact the guy he was 15 months behind on orders, the reviews were 50/50 and I concluded 1. I may never get a chiller or 2. I pay for one and never see my money again.

So I thought screw it I'll make my own version, got my AC refrigeration license and started playing.
12 months down the road and several blown AC compressors later I have a working system that's entirely different to that of the prior mentioned products, I patented my design it works better than expected.

Originally I thought I would sell a few to a couple of buddies originally tried to palm a few off through the HSV forum to reclaim all lost investment into original designs and patents and then it grew from there....now we are nearing 2 years since first selling to the public.

Our system has ZERO negative effect on the cabin AC performance in any make and model car, we have done plenty of different models from Holden/HSV, Camaro, Cadillac, Chrysler and even Toyota and Subaru.

I haven't yet done a Corvette, however it's certainly possible at the end of the day it's just an AC system.

The interchiller is designed for drag racing as mentioned it is not built for road course...I've never seen a professional race team drive supercharged cars for circuit racing as the application is not designed for that intended use.
The best intake temps we have achieved to date have been 52F IAT2 on a 106F day and 17.6F IAT2 during winter, we've proven the system on the dyno and the track and of course many happy customers.
We have our own machining capabilities along with a different approach to making it work correctly, which allows us to make our own car parts, thermal plates, lid spacers, CNC connections for AC systems etc etc.

This is the IAT2 on a 106F day

This is the cabin vent temps on a 106F day versus a GM pressure chart

Here is an independent customer review on the CTS-V

Frost formation on the intercooler fluid lines

Blower condensation

We have replaced some of the competitors chillers since they were unable to meet the customers requirements for intake temps and also cabin AC performance.
I think this lack of system performance on the other guys building them is from the lack of AC refrigeration knowledge, as in the US you do not need to be licensed to handle/build AC systems and the refrigerants where as here we have to be licensed.
So yes when built correctly they work very well, a poor man does it twice a smart man does it right the first time round.

More than happy to answer any of your questions.

Cheers Kirk

Last edited by GenF-GTS; 01-24-2017 at 02:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GenF-GTS:
Bad Dad (01-24-2017), MAXXPSI (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 05:13 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

So have you got any videos of cars actually at the track and being used? It would be nice to see how long it takes for a fully heated system to cool down to these temps. In all the videos it ways 'been idling for a long time' but how long to get really low temps.

Also what about some street driving with pulls through the gears so we can see the recovery times rather than just the absolutes.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:13 AM
GenF-GTS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by chuntington101
So have you got any videos of cars actually at the track and being used? It would be nice to see how long it takes for a fully heated system to cool down to these temps. In all the videos it ways 'been idling for a long time' but how long to get really low temps.

Also what about some street driving with pulls through the gears so we can see the recovery times rather than just the absolutes.

We have plenty of videos of cars at the track on our youtube channel and website www.fiinterchillers.com

In terms of how long it takes to reach your minimal temp, we basically have a total system capacity on our car and most of our customers cars as we all drive the same cars of around 10L which is 2.64gal which is the chiller and a reservoir before racing it takes roughly 12min at idle with the car in the staging lanes not moving (zero air flow) to reach the min IAT2 on that given day. The lowest we have seen at the track is 32f IAT2 in winter time and obviously just recently 52F on a 106F day....again keeping in mind the car is not moving there is no air flow so driving on the street IAT2 can go even lower.

Again keeping in mind the system is built for drag racing and we have a lot of volume of cold coolant so we are back well below the ambient air temp in a matter for 20-30sec after the pass.

By the time we pick up the time slip and line back up we are basically back to the starting IAT2 we achieved in staging lanes before the pass.

(Something also to note is the chiller doesn't make the system have any difference in temperature swing, eg if you currently start your 1/4 mile run at say 80F and go through the traps at say 120F that's a 40F swing in temps, if you fitted the chiller you will still have the same 40F swing in temps so that example would be your starting IAT2 is say 50F it will then increase by 40F to be 90F when you cross the line, the only difference being the starting and finishing temps are much colder)

This run here is a full weight VF GTS 4440lbs, it ran 10.1 at 139mph on the LSA engine and blower running 44% over drive on the blower 9.55/2.55 pulley combo.

The IAT2 is normally around 50f on the line however this was 59f as we started the car a little late and didn't get it right down to the min temp. This was with the ZL1 intercooler pump, a faster pump will result in a lower peak IAT2 and a faster time slip will also result in a lower IAT2 as you are at WOT for less time.

Start of the run 59F IAT2:

End of the run 107F IAT2:

Last edited by GenF-GTS; 01-25-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:38 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for the honest info. Some others selling similar products have said you could use this type of system on a road course but you are clearly setting the stall for drag racers and maybe street duty (correctly)! Recovery times don't seem to bad considering you can keep factory cabin AC working as normal!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 AM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

For those of you who are looking into installing a chiller system on your Vette look into either Activechiller (activechiller.com) or KillerChiller (killerchiller.com). Active Chiller is the guy who pioneered these systems for the Vette, Camaro, CTS-V, GTO, G8, etc. almost 10 years ago. There was a thread here on CF from 2009 of a dual chiller system he installed on a ZR1 that set records at 1/2 mile and 1 mile events. There were a few other threads with singles installed. Unfortunately they got deleted when a vendor war that took place because ANOTHER company made a direct copy of the ActiveChiller and then tried to market it as their own and the "original". Plenty of other threads on numerous other forums.

Last edited by RoketRdr; 01-26-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 AM
GenF-GTS
5th Gear

The problem with both of those units you have listed is that they don't get anywhere near as cold as our one, there is also plenty of unsatisfied customers who's cabin AC doesn't work correctly that have those units.
I've actually replaced several units from both of those companies as the customers complained that they didn't get as cold but the main concerning issue was cabin AC performance was sub par at best.

If the forum is willing to see, I have screen shots of actives customers complaining, switching from his unit to ours, and also emails where he has completed the install himself and the customer is asking us for help to make it work after active himself did the install.
Whilst you're clearly a fan of those products RoketRdr neither of them work as directed and as mentioned previously we've actually had to work very hard in changing the conception, that chillers are bad, dont work, effect the cabin AC etc. Because the US conception is that they dont work because of these poorly made products.

We've proven our IAT's in the hottest of climates, we've also proven our cabin vent temps also, they haven't.
To give you an idea of the difference between active an ours purely based on IAT2 as I am unaware of the vent temperatures.

One of actives customers recently posted screen shots of his IAT2 in the staging lanes showing a 59F IAT2 on an 84F day.

We've gotten to 51F on a 106F day also at the track....there is your difference! (Ours is on video so there is nothing to hide, and when we did the video it was actually live video to facebook)
These results from our system are typical and have been repeated by customers in the US on Cadillac's and Camaro's.

From the systems we have replaced all have noted colder intake temps but more importantly correctly functioning cabin AC.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:35 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have kits for the C7Z?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:19 AM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GenF-GTS
The problem with both of those units you have listed is that they don't get anywhere near as cold as our one, there is also plenty of unsatisfied customers who's cabin AC doesn't work correctly that have those units.
I've actually replaced several units from both of those companies as the customers complained that they didn't get as cold but the main concerning issue was cabin AC performance was sub par at best.

If the forum is willing to see, I have screen shots of actives customers complaining, switching from his unit to ours, and also emails where he has completed the install himself and the customer is asking us for help to make it work after active himself did the install.
Whilst you're clearly a fan of those products RoketRdr neither of them work as directed and as mentioned previously we've actually had to work very hard in changing the conception, that chillers are bad, dont work, effect the cabin AC etc. Because the US conception is that they dont work because of these poorly made products.

We've proven our IAT's in the hottest of climates, we've also proven our cabin vent temps also, they haven't.
To give you an idea of the difference between active an ours purely based on IAT2 as I am unaware of the vent temperatures.

One of actives customers recently posted screen shots of his IAT2 in the staging lanes showing a 59F IAT2 on an 84F day.

We've gotten to 51F on a 106F day also at the track....there is your difference! (Ours is on video so there is nothing to hide, and when we did the video it was actually live video to facebook)
These results from our system are typical and have been repeated by customers in the US on Cadillac's and Camaro's.

From the systems we have replaced all have noted colder intake temps but more importantly correctly functioning cabin AC.
That's not the truth and you know it. THEIR video's don't lie either and were around LONG before yours were. We can post links to thread after thread and vid after vid here from Camaro5 and CTSVowners showing the results years before you got into the market. There were threads here as well but got deleted due to the vendor war and those didn't lie either. I'm pretty sure a twin chiller ZR1 setting 1 mile records is quite a good testimony. And for the record I had one of the original RevX kits installed on my ZL1 and it consistently kept my fluid temp in the mid to high 20's. During the 100+ degree Texas summers at the track my IAT's maintained in the low to mid 50's. Funny how that system worked and never failed after 3 years of daily driving and racing almost every weekend. Stop with your lies. PLENTY of racers STILL running their systems at the track every weekend and working just fine. Your little game of "we're better than they are and their system doesn't work" is just a flat out lie and marketing ploy trying to wrongfully steal market-share through dishonesty and slander. Blah blah blah noise. The laws of physics in refrigeration and chilling haven't miraculously changed by an act of God and you don't have access to a plate chiller that's any better than what's already offered on the market for the price. In the pic I posted the IAT1 temp was 115* and that was about 5 minutes after the run. And there's a recent vid just posted on youtube 1 week ago of a 1/2 mile event and the IAT2 didn't go over 60* in his run. Both of these are the Activechiller system. Yeah...his system doesn't work. Been around for 9 years and too many of us that testify that his system works well and you're a liar. The vids and testimony don't lie and results speak for themselves. Telling lies about a competitor to try and steal market-share is deplorable. Karma WILL be a *****.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2017, 07:56 AM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by HNK
Do you have kits for the C7Z?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Turbocoupe
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently finished the install of the AI interchiller on mine! I love it and it does work! Cabin temps still nice and chilly as well.

Last edited by Turbocoupe; 02-09-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 AM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Alright, well lets get one of the Australian units installed up here and see how it works. there is not a lot of parts involved, so not sure what makes one better than the other. would think that performance of the AC system would be the factor controlling what cars they work well on and which they dont. But I am game - been out for a week on other issues but back and ready to help the down under guy get one cooking up here topside. Being that I am in So Cal and our summer traffic is ridiculous, excited to see not only a system work well, but to get that cold morning style pull on demand after sitting on a crappy so cal freeway heat soaking my Z
Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I you get a kit and good instructions together I'm in
Old 02-12-2017, 06:57 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

How about a dry ice chamber behind your air box! You just fill it when you drag race. When it's melted I think there is nothing left.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Turbocoupe
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The install is pretty easy. Once you have laid everything out in front of you, you will see how simple it is. The chillers work.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:32 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

I have some customers using this company's chiller http://killerchiller.com/, don't know anything about it but they sent me info for my hellcat too and ask them about my Z06 but have not got a reply yet

Last edited by hcvone; 02-13-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:12 PM
badmofo2u
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
That's not the truth and you know it. THEIR video's don't lie either and were around LONG before yours were. We can post links to thread after thread and vid after vid here from Camaro5 and CTSVowners showing the results years before you got into the market. There were threads here as well but got deleted due to the vendor war and those didn't lie either. I'm pretty sure a twin chiller ZR1 setting 1 mile records is quite a good testimony. And for the record I had one of the original RevX kits installed on my ZL1 and it consistently kept my fluid temp in the mid to high 20's. During the 100+ degree Texas summers at the track my IAT's maintained in the low to mid 50's. Funny how that system worked and never failed after 3 years of daily driving and racing almost every weekend. Stop with your lies. PLENTY of racers STILL running their systems at the track every weekend and working just fine. Your little game of "we're better than they are and their system doesn't work" is just a flat out lie and marketing ploy trying to wrongfully steal market-share through dishonesty and slander. Blah blah blah noise. The laws of physics in refrigeration and chilling haven't miraculously changed by an act of God and you don't have access to a plate chiller that's any better than what's already offered on the market for the price. In the pic I posted the IAT1 temp was 115* and that was about 5 minutes after the run. And there's a recent vid just posted on youtube 1 week ago of a 1/2 mile event and the IAT2 didn't go over 60* in his run. Both of these are the Activechiller system. Yeah...his system doesn't work. Been around for 9 years and too many of us that testify that his system works well and you're a liar. The vids and testimony don't lie and results speak for themselves. Telling lies about a competitor to try and steal market-share is deplorable. Karma WILL be a *****.
Good to see people catching on. +1 AI does have kits for C6 and PDF of the instructions.

Get notified of new replies

To Forced induction chillers

Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 PM
badmofo2u
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found like 80 pictures of the Active Interchiller C6 / ZR1 installations here. I know they are looking for a C7 to volunteer for fitment.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Has anyone put any of the systems on a C7 Z06?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Adam Silver05
Has anyone put any of the systems on a C7 Z06?
Same question I keep asking

Quick Reply: Forced induction chillers