C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 C7 Z06 gets a better supercharger - you can too ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What can one expect to gain by just replacing their current lid with the 2017 lid, without doing anything else?

According to what has been said, the taller lid was required in order to tilt the bricks up at the rear to even out airflow to the cylinders. I don't see where just the lid is going to help, without the tilted bricks.

I don't understand the reasoning behind spending money to make a change if it's not going to improve anything, but might just void your warranty.
I ordered mine just to try it out and see if I notice a difference. My main complaint about this car is that it definitely makes less power in hot weather and I'm interested to see if the larger lid improves that.

We know that GM moved to this taller cover for 2017 but we don't know what if anything else was changed. At a minimum I'm now 2 steps in to the upgrade to 2017 spec (I also already have the secondary radiator) and I can replace the bricks later.

I also tend to believe the folks saying the SC housing could use more volume than the shorter lid provides.

I'm optimistic that I'll be alright on the warranty as GM has already stated that they plan to make a retrofit available and like the secondary radiator I expect this to not impact the warranty. Hopefully I don't have to test that theory.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 08-27-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I ordered mine just to try it out and see if I notice a difference. My main complaint about this car is that it definitely makes less power in hot weather and I'm interested to see if the larger lid improves that.

We know that GM moved to this taller cover for 2017 but we don't know what if anything else was changed. At a minimum I'm now 2 steps in to the upgrade to 2017 spec (I also already have the secondary radiator) and I can replace the bricks later.

I also tend to believe the folks saying the SC housing could use more volume than the shorter lid provides.

I'm optimistic that I'll be alright on the warranty as GM has already stated that they plan to make a retrofit available and like the secondary radiator I expect this to not impact the warranty. Hopefully I don't have to test that theory.
I believe that Tadge has explained that the tilted bricks are what is necessary to even out the air flow to all eight cylinders and that the taller lid is to get the air to the raised bricks, not the other way around.

I doubt if just the raised lid does any measurable good without the tilted bricks, but I do hope you let us know what the outcome is by just installing the taller lid.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-27-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I believe that Tadge has explained that the tilted bricks are what is necessary to even out the air flow to all eight cylinders and that the taller lid is to get the air to the raised bricks, not the other way around.

I doubt if just the raised lid does any measurable good without the tilted bricks, but I do hope you let us know what the outcome is by just installing the taller lid.
Yeah, in light of the new video of Tadge where he talks about a retrofit program I'm going to wait and see what they come up with.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:23 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

What can one expect to gain by just replacing their current lid with the 2017 lid, without doing anything else?

According to what has been said, the taller lid was required in order to tilt the bricks up at the rear to even out airflow to the cylinders. I don't see where just the lid is going to help, without the tilted bricks.

I don't understand the reasoning behind spending money to make a change if it's not going to improve anything, but might just void your warranty.
It fixes the lack of air problem like Tadge talks about by increasing the volume in the blower itself. Easy to see it will improve drivability and cooling.
The following users liked this post:
racerx8 (09-09-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 05:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

It is raised bricks or tilted bricks?? we do know they are the same size.

The taller helps either way lots comments on that from other cars. Where GM added a taller lid. The INCREASE of available air volume is increase by over twice.

I love the back ground noise here trying to pee on the improvements.
Don't you also think the C6 Z06 is a better car?
Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by houdini13
It drains back in to the pan? This is clean side only and doesn't address oil in the supercharger right?
that is correct
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 09-08-2016, 11:39 AM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

$4k to catch up makes a 2017 worth it.

If all the parts were trully retrofit able, they would flat out say it. That would move the 16' z06 where they wouldnt have to deeply discount them as much...they are losing lots of money there...the deep discounts available now are manufacturer backed

.but it sounds like some stuff will be retro and some may not...and that they will do it.. in a step by step basis...as needed...jeez

Are the "bricks" something that can be changed or is this POS getting a whole new sulercharger?

Just saw ANOTHER car mag overheat a z06 on the track...a red manual

Last edited by SgtRod; 09-08-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by four0nefive
So if someone were to order, they would get the lid as well as the new bricks, correct?
Originally Posted by SgtRod
$4k to catch up makes a 2017 worth it.

If all the parts were trully retrofit able, they would flat out say it. That would move the 16' z06 where they wouldnt have to deeply discount them as much...they are losing lots of money there...the deep discounts available now are manufacturer backed

.but it sounds like some stuff will be retro and some may not...and that they will do it.. in a step by step basis...as needed...jeez

Are the "bricks" something that can be changed or is this POS getting a whole new sulercharger?

Just saw ANOTHER car mag overheat a z06 on the track...a red manual
The lids are available now... the raked bricks did have a GM PN but were shortly thereafter voided out with a replacement PN that involves the whole new supercharger. The latter is what I was told by an insider originally.

Furthermore, the latter also makes me highly doubt GM will be truing up any pre 17s if they have to replace the entire blower vs. just t bricks based on past practice. The LSA powering the gen 5 ZL1 got a much more efficient lid and brick as well as intercooler pump than the LSA CTS V and those were even sold together for less than $500. Both cars stayed in production till 15 and both kept their own setups, forcing CTS V guys to adapt their cars to the better system.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 PM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Furthermore, the latter also makes me highly doubt GM will be truing up any pre 17s if they have to replace the entire blower vs. just t bricks based on past practice. The LSA powering the gen 5 ZL1 got a much more efficient lid and brick as well as intercooler pump than the LSA CTS V and those were even sold together for less than $500. Both cars stayed in production till 15 and both kept their own setups, forcing CTS V guys to adapt their cars to the better system.
If you go by recent history GM did replace whole superchargers as part of a TSB. On the mentioned ZL1 and CTS-V cars..... for up to 10 years. This I know for a fact. My 2013 ZL1 started having the infamous "rattle" in 2016. I was given a loaner car and my supercharger was 100% replaced by a GM dealer at 0 cost to me. Many people jumped the gun and replaced the isolator before GM made the announcement. GM even offered a refund on that but I heard that was a pain to get processed.

I am holding off on passing judgement. I hope GM does the right thing a provides a free refit. I think the odds are in our favor that they will refit 15-16 Z06 as this issue as been a bigger PR black-eye than a few noisy superchargers.

Time will tell.
TRANS DAMM (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
If you go by recent history GM did replace whole superchargers as part of a TSB. On the mentioned ZL1 and CTS-V cars..... for up to 10 years. This I know for a fact. My 2013 ZL1 started having the infamous "rattle" in 2016. I was given a loaner car and my supercharger was 100% replaced by a GM dealer at 0 cost to me. Many people jumped the gun and replaced the isolator before GM made the announcement. GM even offered a refund on that but I heard that was a pain to get processed.

I am holding off on passing judgement. I hope GM does the right thing a provides a free refit. I think the odds are in our favor that they will refit 15-16 Z06 as this issue as been a bigger PR black-eye than a few noisy superchargers.

Time will tell.
Apples and oranges unfortunately. Those replacements are a far cry from what the Z06 is experiencing. The version 1 isolators were wearing a groove in the shaft causing not just sound but vibrations and supercharger damage in extreme scenarios.

Apples to apples is the heat concern that was the the difference between the V2 and the ZL1 and the 15/16 Zs vs. the 17.

What is Tadge going to say when put on the spot..."No, innovation happens and you guys are SOL" or "Yes, we're reviewing it" Did they retro fit the secondary radiators for free or did they offer them for sale? Time will tell, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ben@WeaponX:
jrwood (09-09-2016), spinkick (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:46 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Would you guys still by a cheaper '16 if you knew they would not upgrade them for free from GM? I am itching to pull the trigger.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:18 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 684 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Ben, thanks for all the great info

Just got a 16Z for a massive 22k discount knowing I would be doing upgrading

so does the 3500 figure still hold for the new lid, bricks, and whatever else it needs (I already purchased secondary gmpp radiator)

thanks for the info
Old 09-09-2016, 01:19 AM
mitchg41
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you going to offer a $5-10k upgrade that includes taller lid and different IC bricks, etc, might as well offer an optional larger roots SC, at least a 2.9L or larger Supercharger option as part of a optional performance part line up that would make it worth spending the money to purchase and add a potential cooling solution with an increase in HP and Torque.

But I guess that would be admitting it might be possible the original SC set up was not the optimal Supercharger for the C7Z and was not used in the build.

I love my C7 Z06, and I know that you will not please everyone and build the best possible C7Z with the R&D $$ available to you against other supercar builders...GM has done a very good job in keeping the car priced at a level where the car has been much improved in many areas and while cost is at a fairly optimal performance level.

That is where the CZ 7 is heading anyway, why not offer a MY SC upgrade to those who purchased 2015/16 models and get something for the $$ to be spent. Just a thought...or WISH LIST. Loved my 63' and love my 2016...
Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Even if this is made available as a retrofit kit by GM for pre-17s, my understanding is that it will require a CARB Executive Order to be legal for installation in California. I think this is because it changes things relative to what GM submitted for emissions certification for pre-17 year model Z06s. I also think that the EO requirement applies to OEMs as well as aftermarket equipment suppliers.

If anyone has a good understanding of this subject, please correct me here.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by spinkick
Would you guys still by a cheaper '16 if you knew they would not upgrade them for free from GM? I am itching to pull the trigger.
my answer would be H377 YES!
spinkick (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:11 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Just bought my new Z06 at 18K off MSRP.

Ben@WeaponX (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:28 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I think the best assumption currently that can be made is that GM absolutely will not upgrade a '16 to '17 spec for free.

That said, the '16 is an awesome vehicle. If you like the '16 and are happy with the deals you can get, and are happy with the product you'll be receiving, then pull the trigger.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 C7 Z06 gets a better supercharger - you can too ;)

Old 09-09-2016, 10:42 AM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Im in the same position as you, dying to pull the trigger. However, the 2017's are offering 10% discount off msrp. You will get all the upgrades and a 1yr newer car for a couple thousand more than the 16.

Plus, wether you car overheats or NEVER overheats, 2015-16s are plagued with that reputation. Therefore, whenever you sell, you will have to deal with it. You too will have to deeply discount to attract a buyer. An expensive proposition

In my case, its $2600 more to order a 2017....sounds like a win win

Last edited by SgtRod; 09-09-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:28 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Sounds like there are some tremendous deals on all model years.
NOW is a great time to be in the market for a new Z.
Guys who live in the warmer States look to be perfectly positioned in this buyer's market.

Although no one has yet mentioned it, Sportscar sales are traditionally slow during the colder time of year.
GM and Dealers know this and it is probably the biggest reason for these discounts.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by erick_e
Just bought my new Z06 at 18K off MSRP.
I see you're in KY too

Come on up to Cincinnati when you wanna go faster!

Quick Reply: 2017 C7 Z06 gets a better supercharger - you can too ;)