Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A mid-engine C8 just doesn't make sense at all

Old 08-01-2016, 07:02 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts
Default A mid-engine C8 just doesn't make sense at all

So there have been enough articles out now discussing what will be in GMs upcoming mid-engine vehicle, given exception to any real thought on whether it really will, or how it will replace what we have now.

In all of these discussions, everyone seems to be overlooking one very important factor, which is the present roadmap that we see with the C7. Simply put, GM won't be replacing the C7 with a C8 mid-engine Corvette anytime soon, if that mid-engine C8 cannot grab the interest of at least the present Z06 buyers, and more importantly, their ability to buy and upgrade from the C7. This seems to be the case with the any price point of this mid-engine that exceeds where the Z06 is leaving off now. I just don't see GM risking losing all of us as buyers to a price point that is unreachable.

So are we believing that GM will make a mid-engine version that falls in line with the Stringray pricing, GS pricing and Z06 pricing that we see now? No, I don't think that will happen. All belief out there is that the mid-engine will be an elite, high end, and very expensive product. I believe this couldn't become the new C8 then as it then gives up on GMs most key clients which are the $50k-100k buyers, which GM has cornered the market on with no competition whatsoever in sight.

With this in mind, do we feel the new C8 will be alot cheaper than everyone is now thinking to retain the present buyers? Is GM just going to shut down the C7, which just may be the most success they have ever had in a body style, in favor of a car that none of the present C7 owners could afford? What will be the plan for retaining the most key sports car buying demographic in the world today?

In the end, all present seem to be completely missing the point on how the upcoming mid-engine car be a C8 as it cannot retain the present customer base that GM has earned...this being their which is their present bread and butter clients? What will be the replacement for the C7 to hold the customers they have now? Thoughts? Will the C8 become an affordable upgrade?

Last edited by AllFlash; 08-01-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Perhaps it will be a new line, the Zora?
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Mayday (03-03-2017)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:16 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

The Zora does make sense....a name for a very high end and limited line, perhaps becoming competition + for the GT. There is also the thought of whether it might be branded as a Cad but that wouldn't make sense if they are building it in Bowling Green which the plant upgrades are most definitely destined for. I think that everyone seems to thinking, however, that the mid-engine will be a C8, replacing the C7. This would then abandon the customer base as we see it today, unlkess of course we see another front engine...or far better pricing for a mid-engine than anyone would have ever expected. Could it still keep Stingray buyers though who are the low end pricing of today's C7 sales?

Last edited by AllFlash; 08-01-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFlash
... There is also the thought of whether it might be branded as a Cad but that wouldn't make sense if they are building it in Bowling Green which the plant upgrades are most definitely destined for...
Don't forget that the Cadillac XLR was built in the Bowling Green plant from model years 2004-2009.

Bill B.

Last edited by Bill Baird; 08-01-2016 at 07:48 AM.
sunsalem (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Well there we go...
Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Jpjr2016
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the Zora will be akin to a ZR1, and not replace the Z06 per se. It cannot be at the same price point and be profitable. It will be very low volume and very high margin.

That said, Z06 owners need to accept that Zora will be the king of the hill, top of the food chain. Only existing Z06 owners will come up with clever reasons to dispute that. The best thing we can all do is save our money and buy the best when it arrives!
Ben@WeaponX (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 478 Posts

I was wondering when we'd start discussing a Zora/C8.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

So the difficuly is that GM has to keep something in the $50K range to maintain the present Stingray guys, and something very least 75-100 for the GS/Z06 family. They have been very successful at avoiding the previous pitfall of overpricing but what would they have to do to maintain the present customer base? Do we now model a different C8 or do we ride this C7 success for as long as we can?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:16 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

IIRC Bob Lutz in an interview stated Tadge and co. had pursued ME for the C7, but the financial turmoil at the time nixed that. According to Lutz in the interview, Tadge and crew indicated they could move to a ME platform for 5k - 7k price delta.

So I don't think cost will be biggest concern for the C8 changing to the ME platform. More likely challenges will be getting current Corvette customers comfortable with the idea, and perhaps relatedly, managing utility concerns (i.e. storage capability/travel ease of ME).
Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,565 Likes on 859 Posts

One has only to look at the plant expansion that's going on to know something is up. Really just a new paint booth??

Whatever GM does they will not replace the current front engine car with a mid-engine but the mid-engine could complement the current Corvette product line.

One thought is GM might be building a Mid-engine not so much for us the consumer but looking at future racing venues????

Also the C8 will be just an evolution of the C7.

Last edited by Redc8z06; 08-01-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Understanding what was said about the price delta, it sure goes against what all believe would be the price for the GM mid-engine, all estimates well above the $150K mark. If GM could manufacture the mid-engine at a price that would maintain Stingray, GS and Z06 price points, they would sure as heck knock it out of the ball park.

Similarly, GM may not have acknowledged anything publicly yet but they are testing a mid-engine right now and pictures have proven it; there is no secret here. Myself, I think that, if they market the mid-engine and maintain the front, Zora would be an amazing name but I would then be wondering what they are planning for the C8 if the C family remains to be a front engine line. They would have to be having two teams working on two separate designs. This would also be the safe route in case the mid-engine doesnt get them where they want to by production times...

I also think that marketing the mid-engine as a Cad also opens up some doors for GM. The Cadillac Zora (lol)

Last edited by AllFlash; 08-01-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:36 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

^^ I think two things will drive price higher on the Zora than what the C8 would see. First is the added engineering, time, development - i.e. cost - of doing the ME platform the first time. Zora would be used to develop and perfect the engineering and manufacture.

Second, the Zora would be a top performance model, displacing the Z as the top dog.

After doing that, then they could trickle down the tech to the broader C8 platform (like they did with PTM tech on C7 that initially debuted on ZR1, for example).

So a more expensive Zora can make sense, with a later, less expensive ME C8.

One thing I've noodled over, is whether to jump on the Zora (assuming they build it) at the price point it likely will have - only to have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year ME hi-po C8 variant come out later at a lower price point and better performance. Guys could end up spending some higher coin on the Zora, only for a later hi-po C8 model to match/better its performance once the ME engineering and manufacturing has been amortized and optimized.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-02-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:54 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFlash
Do we now model a different C8 or do we ride this C7 success for as long as we can?
My guess is 2 more model years of the C7 will be it.
The C8 will come on board in 2019.

Originally Posted by OnPoint
More likely challenges will be getting current Corvette customers comfortable with the idea, and perhaps relatedly, managing utility concerns (i.e. storage capability/travel ease of ME).
Yeah, that will be the biggest hurdle.

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
Really just a new paint booth??
No way, no how.

Whatever GM does they will not replace the current front engine car with a mid-engine but the mid-engine could complement the current Corvette product line.
I can see a situation where the Zora will be the first testing of the waters for a ME Corvette.
If the faithful clamor for the ME, then GM will build it right down to the level of the Stingray, but ONLY if it is truly what buyers want.
It's important to remember the Corvette is one of the most successful models of all time and GM isn't about to ruin a good thing.

One thought is GM might be building a Mid-engine not so much for us the consumer but looking at future racing venues????
No, Corvette Racing exists to sell GM products, not the other way around.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:20 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 238 Posts

Tadge has already said that a ME platform would only add 5 to 8k to a similarly equipped vette built in same production numbers. I really do not see that as impeading the sales of 90 to 100k cars.

Of course the top dog tech will come at the high end first. I also believe this will be the first time 2 series of Corvettes may get built in the same year. IE the C7 continuing for the lower end units while the C8 ME platform comes on line for the high end and Caddy. It would make sense for the Caddy to come out first to get the bugs out and vehicle competitive with what it needs to replace. The current Z06 is some big shoes to fill with an all new platform.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:57 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I still think it'll be a Cadillac. And might not be more powerful than the Z06, just more technically advanced. That gives them the best of both worlds: a higher price point car that doesn't cheapen the Z, a technological showcase for Cadillac, an answer to the Ford GT, all without upsetting the Corvette crowd.
Huskerman (02-25-2017)
Old 08-01-2016, 02:00 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

money thread > count me in for a mid-engine C8...eheh
Old 08-01-2016, 02:02 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,669 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I think GM's ultimate plan is to have a series of models under the "Corvette" name similar to Porsche. So we may have Stingray, Z06, Grand Sport, and maybe Zora as a mid-engine.

I also think the C7 generation will run through 2019 with 2020 bringing in the C8, led perhaps by the mid-engine Zora as one year earlier.

Either way, I think we will continue to see the entry level rear-wheel drive models up through the mid-engine premier models.

Get notified of new replies

To A mid-engine C8 just doesn't make sense at all

Old 08-01-2016, 02:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Of course the top dog tech will come at the high end first. I also believe this will be the first time 2 series of Corvettes may get built in the same year. IE the C7 continuing for the lower end units while the C8 ME platform comes on line for the high end and Caddy. It would make sense for the Caddy to come out first to get the bugs out and vehicle competitive with what it needs to replace. The current Z06 is some big shoes to fill with an all new platform.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I still think it'll be a Cadillac. And might not be more powerful than the Z06, just more technically advanced. That gives them the best of both worlds: a higher price point car that doesn't cheapen the Z, a technological showcase for Cadillac, an answer to the Ford GT, all without upsetting the Corvette crowd.
If it is Cadillac first, it will be a Twin Turbo Hybrid (IMO).

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Either way, I think we will continue to see the entry level rear-wheel drive models up through the mid-engine premier models.
No way will GM not offer a Front Engine RWD Corvette in the immediate future.
It's just too profitable to throw away on something unproven.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:51 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I believe that the standard Corvette will continue on as a front engine car, built on the same assembly lines as the current C7 in Bowling Green. I also believe that GM will come out with Cadillac mid engine car in the new facility currently under construction in Bowling Green. I also believe that after a couple of years under the Cadillac label, a mid engine Corvette will be released(with new body panels) in ADDITION to the standard front engine Corvette.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:29 PM
acz06
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Gotta remember the Corvette will always be the top dog in terms of performance..over the caddy or even camaro..the 6.2 lt4 is in all of them now..they already have the eray patent for 2020.. there will be big changes soon.. the rear engine platform is basically maxed out for a 3500 pound car.. prices will go up.. the zr1 will always trump a z06.. it's how it always been..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A mid-engine C8 just doesn't make sense at all