C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Track alignments and rear caster

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

[QUOTE=DSC Sport;1596454643]
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24

When I refer to 1.5mm for rear toe in with the granatelli link is correct that's mm not degree.
The stock toe link has a unique shape hard to replicate.
I like this toe curve I'm running it now on my car. I'm not sure if it's any faster . I like the corner exit with this toe curve so it may be faster when setup properly .remember I'm baseing this around .75degree caster angle that's critical
tire temps tell alot but wear is also a good indicator.
But if you have too much rear caster and your shocks are violently stiff in low speed like the stock profile you will end up big in camber.
Caster angle is so critical and when it's right you can back off the low speed shock valving and get big grip in the tire with less camber .
I would suggest you back up on caster and camber and run the DSC you will find a better car especially at Glen and vir
I finally pulled my alignment sheets and the rear caster towards the end season was .7 so we were good and could be why it felt so good. Every time i track the car we try something different. but never both front and rear at the same time. When you do this i found its much easier to truly feel the differences.

I will look into modifying a pair of Granatelli bars to replicate the oem's in the spring. Common sense is toe out on turn in must help rotation. As we call it "no brake turn ten" at WGI rotation is king and a must to pull it off in the high 90's!

What are your thoughts on GM's new calibration or are they just copying your best set up for track and street?

Thanks allot for your help and thoughts.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

[QUOTE=Mad Dog 24;1596460302]
Originally Posted by DSC Sport

I finally pulled my alignment sheets and the rear caster towards the end season was .7 so we were good and could be why it felt so good. Every time i track the car we try something different. but never both front and rear at the same time. When you do this i found its much easier to truly feel the differences.

I will look into modifying a pair of Granatelli bars to replicate the oem's in the spring. Common sense is toe out on turn in must help rotation. As we call it "no brake turn ten" at WGI rotation is king and a must to pull it off in the high 90's!

What are your thoughts on GM's new calibration or are they just copying your best set up for track and street?

Thanks allot for your help and thoughts.
No run the granetelli the way it is dont re engineer it I have the curve calculated in the static toe setting
GM is a completely different algorithm and there is no comparison in theory. one is based on ground hook and looks at tire freq the other a combination of ground hook and skyhook that is why I offer you the ability to tune its completely user friendly. or run my off the shelf tune and its damn good. You will find the ultimate ride and performance that your shocks can offer with the DSC after that you have to step up and buy shocks with a true high speed range
Old 01-27-2018, 03:53 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!

[QUOTE=DSC Sport;1596462907]

No run the granetelli the way it is dont re engineer it I have the curve calculated in the static toe setting
GM is a completely different algorithm and there is no comparison in theory. one is based on ground hook and looks at tire freq the other a combination of ground hook and skyhook that is why I offer you the ability to tune its completely user friendly. or run my off the shelf tune and its damn good. You will find the ultimate ride and performance that your shocks can offer with the DSC after that you have to step up and buy shocks with a true high speed range
The DSC controller in "due time" as they say, thanks, .
Old 03-16-2018, 09:02 AM
C7X46
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I am headed to the alignment shop a 1PM today.

I would like an little input from you guys on what settings you would recommend to the DSC sport recommendation for 100% street use with no track and mostly interstate driving. My problem is planting power and snap oversteer which I hope that setting caster to .8 corrects. It's as if I have 200HP that I cannot use due to lack of traction with the current factory alignment which the settings are unknown.

That said, what changes would you make to camber to maximize straight line traction and what if any changes would you make to toe to maximize tire life?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by C7X46

I would like an little input from you guys on what settings you would recommend to the DSC sport recommendation for 100% street use with no track and mostly interstate driving. My problem is planting power and snap oversteer which I hope that setting caster to .8 corrects. It's as if I have 200HP that I cannot use due to lack of traction with the current factory alignment which the settings are unknown.

That said, what changes would you make to camber to maximize straight line traction and what if any changes would you make to toe to maximize tire life?

If you're more into straight line acceleration I'd just use DSC's street alignment. If you're mostly street but do hpde's I'd say their street/track alignment. All of this info is on DSC's website.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 03-16-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,925 Likes on 5,331 Posts

Use the DSC Street Settings. As for reducing tire spin you do have to remember the LT4 has a lot of low end torque compared to most other high performance engines. Because of that you have a lot more Horsepower from 1000 to 3600 rpm than NA aspirated engines of the same or smaller size. Yes, there may be engines with the same amount of max torque but there are few that have around 440 lb ft at 1000 rpm. That means you have enough power to break almost any tire loose as soon as you drop the hammer no matter what the alignment is or no matter which suspension controller you have.

The alignment and the DSC controller may make controlling the car a little easier when the rear tires are spinning but you will still need to practice throttle control by rolling onto the throttle and modulating the throttle to keep wheel spin at about 17% (which means rotating about 17% faster than if they were gripping the pavement and not sliding). With as much low end power these cars have there is just no way to drop the hammer without shocking the tires into slippage.

Bill
Old 03-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7X46

Max tire life then 0 toe or close too front and rear. Max straight line performance then I would keep the camber to a minimum on the rear and front not a worry. You cant go wrong with the DSC.

Your one of many experiencing the snap over steer. My car almost saw a ditch over that issue when it had 200 miles on it. Scared the sheet out of me. Found the rear caster negative on the passenger side and positive on the drivers, thanks GM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Max tire life then 0 toe or close too front and rear. Max straight line performance then I would keep the camber to a minimum on the rear and front not a worry. You cant go wrong with the DSC.

Your one of many experiencing the snap over steer. My car almost saw a ditch over that issue when it had 200 miles on it. Scared the sheet out of me. Found the rear caster negative on the passenger side and positive on the drivers, thanks GM.
Yes scared or white knuckled especially in the rain stock is scary. Run the off the shelf DSC tune and the street car setup caster in the rear is critical leave all washers in on pure street I can't help myself when the car is setup right you can hang the tail out and have a heck of a time . Since setup the DSC way my C7 is pure fun
Old 03-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Has anyone had the new alignment for DSC "slip" out of place? Just wondering if i should get the granatelli links.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Is it ok to run DSC street/track alignment settings on stock mag ride tune? Going to have my car at a quality dealer (abel) and figured id have them align it to DSC settings before inget the controller so i can feel what stock is like at the track.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Has anyone had the new alignment for DSC "slip" out of place? Just wondering if i should get the granatelli links.
Yes many of the stock GM eccentrics may slip out of place. It has to myself and our customers, DANGEROUS. We now install on ALL track cars these camber plates and Mark has plates for the Granatelli rods too.

https://amtmotorsport.com/collection...spension-parts
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Amt makes camber plates that won't let things slip. They also sell the Granitelli links with a plate that keeps it from moving as well. They work great. I have them on my car.
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Great minds Dog. lol
The following users liked this post:
Mad Dog 24 (03-31-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

I was told by the manufacturer that unless you are running slicks and/or extremely hard on the curbing, OEM parts are fine if torqued correctly.

In almost 5 years of driving/instructing, I have not seen my alignment slip. I am fairly easy on curbing though and run the Cup 2's....

Last edited by Newton06; 03-22-2018 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
X25 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:59 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
I was told by the manufacturer that unless you are running slicks and/or extremely hard on the curbing, OEM parts are fine if torqued correctly.

In almost 5 years of driving/instructing, I have not seen my alignment slip. I am fairly easy on curbing though and run the Cup 2's....
+1

I marked all my settings, and the OEM settings didn't slip in my case, either.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

When you align the car make sure to always mark the eccentrics and put some serious torque into the fastener I double wrench them most all the cars we do are track cars we really lock them down and do the front the same way mark and put some fear into the fastener it will stay.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:17 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Car will be at the shop next week for oil, was wondering if i can have them do the DSC alignment street/track (not full track) on the car before I get the controller.

Just bought track wheels, tires, pads and aero and need to chill on the bank account for a month.

Get notified of new replies

To Track alignments and rear caster

Old 03-31-2018, 06:36 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Car will be at the shop next week for oil, was wondering if i can have them do the DSC alignment street/track (not full track) on the car before I get the controller.

Just bought track wheels, tires, pads and aero and need to chill on the bank account for a month.
The controller shouldn't affect alignment.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:56 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
The controller shouldn't affect alignment.
I guess a better way of asking my question should have been, any issues running the DSC alignment on a factory Mag ride tune?
Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 AM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

No issues, do it.

Quick Reply: Track alignments and rear caster