C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 AM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
I am letting it idle in the staging lanes once I get fairly close to doing the burn out. Which is still quite a lot of idling so the temps still heat up. The starting and stopping for 30-40 cars ahead seems to keep the temps up too. Only way I have found with so long staging lanes is to have the engine set up so it takes care of itself in terms of temperatures. At my weight and age no pushing the car for me. lol The one time I took my car I only got one pass in too. The lanes got so long just wasn't worth waiting another hour in the lanes trying to get another pass in.

Stock fan doesn't come on until 199.4* and then only 15%. At my launch I was at 136* manifold temp (IAT2) and 208* coolant. At the end of my pass 153* and 210*. And right before shutting down I was logging 15* of advance. Did get up to 18* advance in 4th prior to going into 5th.
That is certainly explains it then, I try very hard to keep the ECT to 150 +/- just prior to burnout... as a result of your elevated temps, there is certainly some timing pull (and loss of power) taking place.

Your observations of us needing to be able to engage the cooling fan are 100% spot on.... I have been trying to solve that riddle (without a tune) for a while now... to no avail.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-c7-z06-2.html

Have a blessed day!

Andy
Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Will higher octane gas reduce the timing pull, or is it all temperature based?
It is not totally temperature based. Temperature does play a big part as the tune file tables do pull timing as temps rise. But octane is a big factor too.

I have a before and after Torco test on a spread sheet if you care to see. Either post or PM your email and I'll send the two to you.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Torco please!

Gene@Leeds.io
Old 06-12-2017, 10:24 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey guys quick question. I'm sure this question will show my absolutely ignorance on the subject but here goes...

I have the coolant, the hose, the funnel, and the Gspeed override switch. I'm 2% hesitant to pop off that piece on top because I wonder what if my car is properly vacuum filled and my opening that port will make it lose vacuum and get screwed up. Is this completely nonsensical?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 06-12-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

If the reservoir in the lower right corner is 75% full you should be good to go. I use this method before every trackday and it works great.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

"An example of a build issue would be an improper bleed of the intercooler circuit. Even a small air bubble can impact performance." Tadge quote.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:32 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Hey guys quick question. I'm sure this question will show my absolutely ignorance on the subject but here goes...

I have the coolant, the hose, the funnel, and the Gspeed override switch. I'm 2% hesitant to pop off that piece on top because I wonder what if my car is properly vacuum filled and my opening that port will make it lose vacuum and get screwed up. Is this completely nonsensical?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
Yes it is complete nonsense. Vacuum fill is only to ensure the coolant gets through the system. You evacuate the system and atmospheric pressure forces the coolant into all the nooks and crannies of the intercooler system. No different then with the normal engine coolant system.

Last edited by ronsc1985; 06-13-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:29 AM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
I have connected my Sea-Doo's oil change vacuum tank to the 1" hose and sucked most of the air bubble in the innercooler tank out.....kind of hard to hold the hose and vacuum tank up under the hood but it works really fast.......
Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

My my service adviser lent me this. Has anyone used one of these and would it work to achieve the goals of this thread?

thanks!

best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 06-19-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

My my service adviser lent me this. Has anyone used one of these and would it work to achieve the goals of this thread?

thanks!

best,
Gene

It's just a regular radiator fill attachment. It will work just fine if you can create an airtight seal between the intercooler fill opening and the unit.

Remember what you are trying to do is create a vacuum in the intercooler system and then allow atmospheric pressure to fill the system. If you have a leak at the intercooler fill opening then you won't be able to create a suitable vacuum.

The tool isn't a positive displacement vacuum pump. It uses compressed air to speed up air flow past an orifice to create lower pressure, much like the sped up airflow across the top of an aircraft wing causes lower pressure then the bottom surface thereby creating lift
Old 06-19-2017, 03:03 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Unless you have a huge air bubble, I would just top it off with the Gspeed.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:01 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I'm confused and need some help. I see some guys are using a clear 1" hose and others are using a 1" hose with what looks like it has some braided stuff incorporated into the hose. Which hose do I need!?!?!?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
I'm confused and need some help. I see some guys are using a clear 1" hose and others are using a 1" hose with what looks like it has some braided stuff incorporated into the hose. Which hose do I need!?!?!?
I had Home Depot cut me a 1 ft. length of clear 1 1/4 od x 1" id hose. Only used about 5". Pushed it onto my Flotool funnel.

Jacked the driver side of my car up a little so the fill was at the highest point. Pushed the hose onto my fill fitting using lubricant. Poured coolant in funnel then turned on my pump with my HP Tuner controls. Engine off. Took a few minutes while refilling funnel to get all the air out but worked like a charm.

You will only get your tank filled to the upper hose without vacuum but with my larger hx didn't feel that the little extra via vacuum would do much of anything to help cooling.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
I had Home Depot cut me a 1 ft. length of clear 1 1/4 od x 1" id hose. Only used about 5". Pushed it onto my Flotool funnel.

Jacked the driver side of my car up a little so the fill was at the highest point. Pushed the hose onto my fill fitting using lubricant. Poured coolant in funnel then turned on my pump with my HP Tuner controls. Engine off. Took a few minutes while refilling funnel to get all the air out but worked like a charm.

You will only get your tank filled to the upper hose without vacuum but with my larger hx didn't feel that the little extra via vacuum would do much of anything to help cooling.
I did pretty much the same thing with my Granatelli tank. I used a longer hose though, maybe 1.5". In cold weather, the hose is pretty stiff and needed to be warmed in front of a heater to fit over the fitting. Turning the pump on with a manual switch would cause the coolant to rise in the tube almost all the way to the top. Using a funnel, after a few cycles, most of the air from the system was removed. This won't do anything to decrease the size of the bubble in the stock, plastic intercooler reservoir.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:14 PM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Before I put the Fasterprom tank, I connected my Sea-Doo's oil change vacuum tank to the 1" hose and sucked most of the air bubble in the innercooler tank out.....kind of hard to hold the hose and vacuum tank up under the hood but it works really fast.......
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (07-11-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Yes it is complete nonsense. Vacuum fill is only to ensure the coolant gets through the system. You evacuate the system and atmospheric pressure forces the coolant into all the nooks and crannies of the intercooler system. No different then with the normal engine coolant system.
I swapped my blower and I was able to just refill the lines slowly. I didn't disturb anything. When disconnecting the lines at the blower. Kept them up and then reattached them to the new blower

and refilled as much as it would hold several times. All good!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

This is the maximum amount of air you want in the intercooler reservoir.

This worked for me to get rid of my intermittent misfire on cylinder #8. Dealer mechanic used the new ZR1 bleed tool to get the air out which took raising the front end of the car about 2 ft to get the air in the reservoir moved toward the outlet so the vacuum could pull it out.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (07-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video

Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

This worked for me to get rid of my intermittent misfire on cylinder #8. Dealer mechanic used the new ZR1 bleed tool to get the air out which took raising the front end of the car about 2 ft to get the air in the reservoir moved toward the outlet so the vacuum could pull it out.

Bill
You finally got rid of the misfire! Congratulations. That's been a problem for you for what seems like ages.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
You finally got rid of the misfire! Congratulations. That's been a problem for you for what seems like ages.
In March GM wrote a TSB to address the intermittent misfire issue with code P0300 being displayed.

Bill

Old 07-09-2018, 06:41 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bill, is that (two quarter size) level of coolant cold or hot?

I appreciate all the good info you are providing on intercooler bleeding!
I recently acquired 17, Z, M7 and will be vacuum bleeding later this week.
Hope my Mighty Vac is up to the task.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill

Quick Reply: Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video