C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Lowering Bolts vs LG Lowering Spindles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 12:20 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Lowering Bolts vs LG Lowering Spindles

Just had the LG lowering spindles put on. Better ride, no noises, I should have done this long ago. The WCC bolts are Crap! These are them after 4K miles.

WCC bolt Top, Stock Bottom.

Stock on Left, LG on Right

WCC Bolts after 4K miles.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:51 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Did you do the install or pay to have them all swapped? Difficultly and/or install price?

I hate how high the Z07 sits but I really don't want to screw with the ride height because I track the car, and stock bolts make very minimal difference anyway.

I am debating if I want to go the LG spindle route but am up in the air at the moment.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:04 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a Z07 as well. I went with the aftermarket bolts because of the rear lowering issue; mistake. The spindles are the way to go. Now it's sits just like before but the handling is vastly improved because it allows the natural course suspension travel. And no more noises.
The following users liked this post:
fleming23 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 03:10 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

I had them installed by a Speed Shop. 800 bucks. 5.5hrs
Old 08-18-2016, 03:33 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Pretty common for those bolts to do that.....junk.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:03 PM
pelotonracer2
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Since LG is local for me, I think I will go with their spindles!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks like nothing has changed with the WCC bolts. Zip claims that theirs are better, but you cannot go wrong with the drop spindles. They are, however, QUITE pricey.

Last edited by 4GS7; 08-18-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:12 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Looks like nothing has changed with the WCC bolts. Zip claims that theirs are better, but you cannot go wrong with the drop spindles. They are, however, QUITE pricey.
I have been reading that ALL aftermarket bolts are suspect. They still limit the level of suspension travel. LG seems to be the most legit. Pricey yes, but after all, our cars are in the 6 figures.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I have been reading that ALL aftermarket bolts are suspect. They still limit the level of suspension travel. LG seems to be the most legit. Pricey yes, but after all, our cars are in the 6 figures.
Nope, ours are made in the USA and a different design. First our bushing is made by Energy suspension for us and it is the same ploy durometer as the control arm bushing. It is also Convex on the bottom so that it does not get pinched during movement of the lower control arm.
The LG spindle is a better way all together but price prohibitive for allot.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 08-19-2016 at 02:28 PM.
pelotonracer2 (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:47 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you want the car lower to look good at car shows then lowering bolts aren't too bad, but they won't last long and you're compromising how well the suspension works.

If you intend to drive the car even half aggressively or track it then the spindles are the only way to go.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:40 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
If you want the car lower to look good at car shows then lowering bolts aren't too bad, but they won't last long and you're compromising how well the suspension works.

If you intend to drive the car even half aggressively or track it then the spindles are the only way to go.
Exactly. I just could not take the noises anymore. I do not track my car but I do lots of Spirited driving and the "clunking" really bugs me. Now I have no more noises and the suspension feels more planted like it should have been from the factory. I hope on the next-generation Corvette they limit the wheel gap between the fender and the top of the tire. Corvettes are no longer just for old dudes that have trouble getting in and out of the car. :-)
Old 08-20-2016, 11:13 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I hope on the next-generation Corvette they limit the wheel gap between the fender and the top of the tire.
A pet peeve of mine...
American car manufacturers keep companies like Eibach, etc. in business with the ridiculously excessive fender-well clearance.
Geez, come on...we can do better!
Of course, if they did it right then we would have one less thing to complain about...so there's that.

Seriously, why do the Germans usually get this right and Detroit never seems to?

Last edited by sunsalem; 08-20-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:03 PM
MassGT
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Any before and after pics. Also I assume you had to realign the car? Same specs or were they different?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:29 PM
nekoz
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I know these lowering bolts lower the car slightly. Do you still need to do an alignment?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:54 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
A pet peeve of mine...
American car manufacturers keep companies like Eibach, etc. in business with the ridiculously excessive fender-well clearance.
Geez, come on...we can do better!
Of course, if they did it right then we would have one less thing to complain about...so there's that.

Seriously, why do the Germans usually get this right and Detroit never seems to?
German design the car around the wheels, while Americans design the car then throw wheels on it as an after though of design.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:44 AM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

These are absolutely the only way to lower the Z06/Z07 properly to maintain the correct suspension geometry and keep
the car handling safely. These lower the car exactly 1-inch if no other adjustments are made to the suspension. The car
should be checked for alignment afterwards! The Z07 in particular has the exact correct looking stance afterwards.

I traveled down to Lewisville, TX the last week of June to have LGM install these on my Z07 and I believe it to be perhaps
the best mod for both performance-handling and aesthetics that one can do.

One should not lower the car by adjusting the lowering-bolts and especially by installing bolts that will allow more travel
than the factory bolts!!! It reduces spring-tension, altering the way they will work and reduces the amount of shock travel
allowing both the bottoming out of the shocks and the car!!!
_

Last edited by Sk8Man_; 08-30-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:10 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
German design the car around the wheels, while Americans design the car then throw wheels on it as an after though of design.
Maybe that's it...

Originally Posted by Sk8Man_
These are absolutely the only way to lower the Z06/Z07 properly to maintain the correct suspension geometry and keep
the car handling safely. These lower the car exactly 1-inch if no other adjustments are made to the suspension. The car
should be checked for alignment afterwards! The Z07 in particular has the exact correct looking stance afterwards.

I traveled down to Lewisville, TX the last week of June to have LGM install these on my Z07 and I believe it to be perhaps
the best mod for both performance-handling and aesthetics that one can do.

One should not lower the car by adjusting the lowering-bolts and especially by installing bolts that will allow more travel
than the factory bolts!!! This changes the spring-tension altering the way they will work and also reduces shock travel
allowing bottoming out!!!
_
Is there a problem with suspension bottoming out, etc. using the stock bolts only?

BTW, is that your lowered car in your avatar?
If so, can you blow up the pic?

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering Bolts vs LG Lowering Spindles

Old 08-22-2016, 06:25 PM
pelotonracer2
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Maybe that's it...

Is there a problem with suspension bottoming out, etc. using the stock bolts only?

BTW, is that your lowered car in your avatar?
If so, can you blow up the pic?
Bump for this ^^^
Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

How exactly does lowing the car using the OEM bolts adversely affect handling?

I have a Z51 which is lowered using the OEM bolts. I track it often & want the suspension working optimally, since I am trying to become a better, faster driver.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:41 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Newton06
How exactly does lowing the car using the OEM bolts adversely affect handling?

I have a Z51 which is lowered using the OEM bolts. I track it often & want the suspension working optimally, since I am trying to become a better, faster driver.

Thanks.
The key is the suspension travel. The Z07's will not lower as much as the Level 1 & 2's so you either need to go with aftermarket bolts, or do it right and go with the lowering spindles.

Check out this video. It may answer your question better.

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-mot...-spindles.html
pelotonracer2 (08-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Lowering Bolts vs LG Lowering Spindles