C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Alternative solution regarding the annoying brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:32 AM
conlaurant
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Alternative solution regarding the annoying brake dust

For those of you who prefer not to change out your brake pads to the Carbotech's or Powerstops etc, this product works amazingly well.
The pictures show my front wheel after about 180 miles, including being rained on (not driven in the rain). It also makes cleaning easier for there is less dust etc to remove. Armour All claims up to 4 weeks, but I usually wash before that so I cannot confirm.
Attached Images  

Last edited by conlaurant; 09-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rumba (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 10:35 AM
conlaurant
Racer

Pic 2
Attached Images  
Fastmikefree (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Jakeman11
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info. Will give it a try.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:51 AM
SgtC6
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Have used it before with great results. Was even able to just spray wheel off with hose on next wash without full clening of wheel needed. Only had to reapply every other wash.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 AM
REDHULK
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you washing your wheel first? Or after its dirty are you spraying and then wiping??, im crazy insane about my 2016 c7 z06, i wipe the entire car down everytime i drive it and when im done driving it that day, that also includes the wheel being perfect as well. I would love a product that after a short drive or long drive i could spray on and wipe off and that would help the brake dust stay off..
Old 09-10-2016, 11:24 AM
SgtC6
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHULK
Are you washing your wheel first? Or after its dirty are you spraying and then wiping??, im crazy insane about my 2016 c7 z06, i wipe the entire car down everytime i drive it and when im done driving it that day, that also includes the wheel being perfect as well. I would love a product that after a short drive or long drive i could spray on and wipe off and that would help the brake dust stay off..
I think if your taking the time to wipe it off your better off with a good sealant or ceramic coating. When I used this, I would apply after a wash. Then during next wash would just spray the wheel with water and then dry with leaf blower. Then during next wash, would clean wheels and then reapply.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:27 AM
conlaurant
Racer

Ah, someone more OCD then me.

Wash and dry the wheel, then liberally apply this product until entire wheel is covered. Let dry approx 1 hour depending on ambient temp, and that's it. If you like to clean your Z wheels daily then I doubt you will have any dust/dirt to remove. The photo I provided shows my wheels after 7 days with no cleaning or wiping whatsoever.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:18 PM
REDHULK
Instructor

Originally Posted by conlaurant
ah, someone more ocd then me. :d

wash and dry the wheel, then liberally apply this product until entire wheel is covered. Let dry approx 1 hour depending on ambient temp, and that's it. If you like to clean your z wheels daily then i doubt you will have any dust/dirt to remove. The photo i provided shows my wheels after 7 days with no cleaning or wiping whatsoever.
thank you brotha, im going to get it today!!!!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

For those of you who prefer not to change out your brake pads to the Carbotech's or Powerstops etc, this product works amazingly well.
The pictures show my front wheel after about 180 miles, including being rained on (not driven in the rain). It also makes cleaning easier for there is less dust etc to remove. Armour All claims up to 4 weeks, but I usually wash before that so I cannot confirm.
Thanks for the tip conlaurant. I went to several auto parts stores looking for it. Found out they changed the name going forward to Outlast brake dust replellent. Trying it out today.
Attached Images  
conlaurant (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 09:54 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Be very careful with the products you use. There are a few wheel cleaners that will remove the paint on the brake calipers.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The best way is to just change to the powerstop pads. EASY to do and is cheap compared to constantly buying products like this. The stuff your using doesn't help for the ton of dust down the side of the car and all over the calipers, all your under pinnings and even collects under the doors sort of a waste of money.

The dust IS nasty and you don't see just how bad it is till you change the pads and you notice the whole car is cleaner.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:12 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,071 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I've tried all these methods to reduce brake dust. The only thing that works is changing the brake pads. I now have over 3K miles on my Powerstop pads and have no issues with stopping power, rotor wear and no squealing.
I just did a road trip from NY to Daytona and after 1100 miles, my wheels are powder coated Carbon Flash I could still see the Carbon Flash sparkles on my wheels. That's how little dust there was.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:09 PM
conlaurant
Racer

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The best way is to just change to the powerstop pads. EASY to do and is cheap compared to constantly buying products like this. The stuff your using doesn't help for the ton of dust down the side of the car and all over the calipers, all your under pinnings and even collects under the doors sort of a waste of money.

The dust IS nasty and you don't see just how bad it is till you change the pads and you notice the whole car is cleaner.
Yes I agree, this is my temp fix until I find ( more like MAKE ) the time to change them.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:33 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,071 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

These pads are very easy to change, the hardest part for me was cleaning my wheels.The pads slide out after knocking out 2 pins and removing 1 bolt, calipers stay in place.

conlaurant (09-12-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 09:58 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

tried that and other products,all a no go.still brown crappy wheels.the only fix is powerstop brake pads.they are only $130,less than 1 months cell phone bill.simple do it yourself.the hardest part is cleaning and waxing the wheels in and out before putting them back on.1000 miles and almost NO brake dust.yea it is crappy that you have to put brake pads on your new car but that is the only cure like it or not.had hawks on my last vet that were 4 times the price of powerstops and stiil had dusting,better than original but nowhere near powerstops.

Last edited by lordofwar; 09-11-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:20 AM
REDHULK
Instructor

for those of you who prefer not to change out your brake pads to the carbotech's or powerstops etc, this product works amazingly well.
The pictures show my front wheel after about 180 miles, including being rained on (not driven in the rain). It also makes cleaning easier for there is less dust etc to remove. Armour all claims up to 4 weeks, but i usually wash before that so i cannot confirm.
ok so i got it this weekend.. Thank you for the great post, this is right up my alley. So i washed my wheels, let dryed them and then later that day i sprayed the wheels, so one thing that i noticed is it leaves a little white residue. I waited over night and then this morning i wiped them off with a microfiber, so my question is now that i wiped them down did it take off the application of is this all normal?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've used the Armor-All Wheel Protectant in the past. It did a great job of not having the brake dust stick to the wheel. Unfortunately, all that brake dust that didn't stick to the wheel ended up on the side and back of the car. Since that wasn't particularly saving me any effort, I stopped using it.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternative solution regarding the annoying brake dust

Old 09-12-2016, 01:25 PM
conlaurant
Racer

ok so i got it this weekend.. Thank you for the great post, this is right up my alley. So i washed my wheels, let dryed them and then later that day i sprayed the wheels, so one thing that i noticed is it leaves a little white residue. I waited over night and then this morning i wiped them off with a microfiber, so my question is now that i wiped them down did it take off the application of is this all normal?
The white residue I've experienced only a handful of times. It went away for me after one day but I think that may occur depending on outside temp. I think temps below 65 can produce that residue, just a guess though. As for wiping them down and possibly losing its protection, it sounds like that shouldn't affect it much unless water or some other liquid was used with the towel. Good luck pal
Old 09-12-2016, 01:37 PM
REDHULK
Instructor

the white residue i've experienced only a handful of times. It went away for me after one day but i think that may occur depending on outside temp. I think temps below 65 can produce that residue, just a guess though. As for wiping them down and possibly losing its protection, it sounds like that shouldn't affect it much unless water or some other liquid was used with the towel. Good luck pal
your a stud, thanks for the advise, yes i sprayed it at night and it was cold, im going to clean it with a micro fiber and then do a quick re-spray when its warm outside, thanks again for the great post
Old 09-12-2016, 02:23 PM
pelotonracer2
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I've also found that using Rain-X glass cleaner works great at REDUCING brake dust on wheels. Believe it or not, I also use it as a quick detailer for the paint, especially before a car show. It keeps dust from building up and keeps brake dust from collecting on my (painted) wheels. I spray on a microfiber towel and then wipe off.
REDHULK (09-12-2016)

Quick Reply: Alternative solution regarding the annoying brake dust