C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Stage 1 Z06 vs GS Z07

Old 09-24-2016, 11:09 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
Absolutely agree. The GS is truly the better car for 2chance and Pre-Z. The C7 chassis with a little Z06 suspension parts-bin magic definitely makes for a very capable car. The power seems to be what scares these guys off. Trust me, if you think you're not ready.......YOU'RE NOT. You can't disrespect the power, you can't full throttle off corner and you can't buy a 2017 at 20% OFF. Stick to the GS for now, if you feel like you need more power then you know there's another 190hp in the Z06 or another 297hp in the Callaway. Corvettes, especially used ones, only get cheaper with time in the short term. And remember only 5% of us really track them anyway so there's lots of cream puffs out there to choose from.
I'm not afraid of the c7z having driven buddies stroked TT c6 on track and believe I understand throttle control, I already proved my FRC at 520rwhp and 3100lbs in street trim is a similar power to weight ratio. To me if the job gets done without a 10" dick then the extra is an inefficiency if it isn't able to be used? I mean why stop at 757hp? Which I am curious of your track times at vir with the numerous laps you mentioned having made and all that power? If the z07 isn't that big of deal as some have mentioned you can get a non z07 GS for 18% off in the high $50ks.

No offense, but you might have. Not sure what groups you may have run with or what cars were running with you. I'm a decent driver but every time I get to a new track I have to learn the track, learn what my car wants and when I have an instructor who knows the track they make me faster almost immediately.

Also not sure how adaptable you are to new cars. Let's face it, if we were race car drivers we wouldn't be working for a living or posting on the Corvette forums. The fact is very few people can do what The pros do...that's why they're pros. The learning curve with high horsepower cars is steep and treacherous. Frankly it would probably be more fun to drive the GS for the 4 or 5 HPDE's for me. But honestly I like the challenge of having to respect and learn the car, I like having to be fully focused on a track. Strangely it's where I'm most 'at home'.

Now seriously though......go get behind the wheel of these cars, both Z06 and GS and figure this out. Posting what a magazine says or what Mero did isn't going to fill the ignorance gap of having never sat behind the wheel of your next car. You've already spent way more time typing than you would on an awesome test drive. What are you waiting for?
I already said I'm not qualified for a c7z and would get a zr1 if I feel the c6z07 isn't enough, not going to waste a salesman's time if not serious though fwiw I've had a few tell me that I've given them the most exhilarating ride after test driving cars as I do want to see how they handle of course. I jumped into the Ferrari/Lambos to give thrill rides on the infield road course when I worked at Team Texas and adapted pretty well I think as I didn't send the $300k 599 off track. The owners nephew is a paid driver on the circuit and my co-worker raced karts with Danica Patrick beating her back in the day, then moved to formula Mazda and was fitted for Indy lights, but now sells real estate so I guess that means he can't drive. Driving a real NASCAR is not the same as the fiberglass shell with a crate engine that other driving schools use and is one of the most difficult cars I've driven as it has 13lb clutch, non synchro trans, tall gears, 50* overlap cam with a carb and wants to naturally turn left with 9* of camber, shorter tires and wheelbase on the drivers side (many don't have respect for them as I didn't before getting behind the wheel). I knocked down same times as the vette school instructors there in their z06 before I worked at the track as well. Now back to the cars as that is what I was asking about and not for you to criticize my driving, a less biased question I suppose would be is the GSZ07 as fast or faster than a C6Z07 on the same tires even though it is heavier and less powerful, the gearing and aero making up the difference?

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 09-24-2016 at 11:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FSTFRC (09-25-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I'm not afraid of the c7z having driven buddies stroked TT c6 on track and believe I understand throttle control, I already proved my FRC at 520rwhp and 3100lbs in street trim is a similar power to weight ratio. To me if the job gets done without a 10" dick then the extra is an inefficiency if it isn't able to be used? I mean why stop at 757hp? Which I am curious of your track times at vir with the numerous laps you mentioned having made and all that power? If the z07 isn't that big of deal as some have mentioned you can get a non z07 GS for 18% off in the high $50ks.

I already said I'm not qualified for a c7z and would get a zr1 if I feel the c6z07 isn't enough, not going to waste a salesman's time if not serious though fwiw I've had a few tell me that I've given them the most exhilarating ride after test driving cars as I do want to see how they handle of course. I jumped into the Ferrari/Lambos to give thrill rides on the infield road course when I worked at Team Texas and adapted pretty well I think as I didn't send the $300k 599 off track. The owners nephew is a paid driver on the circuit and my co-worker raced karts with Danica Patrick beating her back in the day, then moved to formula Mazda and was fitted for Indy lights, but now sells real estate so I guess that means he can't drive. Driving a real NASCAR is not the same as the fiberglass shell with a crate engine that other driving schools use and is one of the most difficult cars I've driven as it has 13lb clutch, non synchro trans, tall gears, 50* overlap cam with a carb and wants to naturally turn left with 9* of camber, shorter tires and wheelbase on the drivers side (many don't have respect for them as I didn't before getting behind the wheel). I knocked down same times as the vette school instructors there in their z06 before I worked at the track as well. Now back to the cars as that is what I was asking about and not for you to criticize my driving, a less biased question I suppose would be is the GSZ07 as fast or faster than a C6Z07 on the same tires even though it is heavier and less powerful, the gearing and aero making up the difference?
Agree, the Z06 is probably not right for you. The GS seems like a better fit. Would probably feel more like the 599 and Lambos you've driven given the 599's nearly 4,000 lbs and 612hp. That would definitely be closer to the GS's power to weight. If you're looking to save a few pennies you could definitely opt out of the Z07 pkg on the GS and honestly probably get better track brakes for less dough and better race seats than GM's.

Still think you should go drive them though. Can't imagine an informed opinion based on forum posts and magazine tests to make my purchase decision, but to each his own.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:08 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Agree, the Z06 is probably not right for you. The GS seems like a better fit. Would probably feel more like the 599 and Lambos you've driven given the 599's nearly 4,000 lbs and 612hp. That would definitely be closer to the GS's power to weight. If you're looking to save a few pennies you could definitely opt out of the Z07 pkg on the GS and honestly probably get better track brakes for less dough and better race seats than GM's.

Still think you should go drive them though. Can't imagine an informed opinion based on forum posts and magazine tests to make my purchase decision, but to each his own.
The 599 is 3700 lbs for a 6:1 lb to hp ratio on a 305mm tire vs the GS at 7.5:1 with 460hp moving 3450lbs turning a 335mm tire, so not a fair comparison in my books. You didn't answer my question about your lap times at vir, given the amount of seat time you've had and 757hp they must be quicker than some magazine drivers 2:47 time in a measly GS? Here's some of my flukes from auto-X...

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 09-25-2016 at 01:10 AM.
FSTFRC (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

^^^ The 599 was a clumsy Ferrari and not a track weapon. It's a GT car in my opinion and the GS in Z07 guise would beat it easily on a road course. The GS is not "measly" and you should stop characterizing it as such. Owners like 2ndChance are loving their cars and are very happy with the Z06's chassis and aero and 190 less horsepower. Your title says you're a supporting vendor, not sure what you're selling but guessing that 'bashing' the GS won't help you sell more of it.

My lap time is 2:15 at VIR full course as I've posted many times before. I've never run the LL Grand West configuration. It's seldom run for HPDE's. You seem defensive and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Go back and reread my responses. I didn't question your driving abilities. I stated that I didn't know the level of competition you're running against when you win those cute little cones. We're not pro-drivers, we don't make a living racing, therefore all of our 'thoughts and guesses' are just that. So again, attempting to get you back on track literally and figuratively:

1) Are you looking to buy a new Corvette?
2) Can you afford a GS for $75K, if so you can afford a ZO6 for $75K, correct?
3) You stated you weren't 'qualified for a C7Z' was that the money part or the driving skill part as the syntax wasn't clear.
4) You've talked about C7Z's, C7GS's, C6Z06's and C6ZR1's. Are all of those on your shopping list? Have you narrowed it down? Have you driven any or all of them and are still conflicted?
5) What's your goal out of this thread as I don't think any of us know how to help you at this point.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-25-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:16 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Thank you, I bought them off eBay lol. The 599 is more of a GT car true even with its 47/53 weight distribution...it's like a front engine rwd 2-seater non z07 and a GTB/GTO version is like the z07 I suppose, regardless I'd still rather get paid to drive an exotic at the track on someone else's dime than my own vehicle. I find it surprising you mention its capabilities or lack of yet I'm not sure if you've driven one and you were the one who mentioned having an off in your Ctsv on track, IMO a less capable car having driven both. I've never been to vir though I believe amateurs like us have done 2:15s in c5zs and that configuration, no? I don't care about buying new obviously as I still have a 17 yr old c5, but to be clear I meant approved for financing having driven plenty of modified corvettes while working previously at a performance shop(hence the vendor thing)...if you had just said the c7z is worth the wait then I don't think we'd be having this discussion as yes I'm cross shopping them. Here's a GS for way less than $75k and I've yet to see even used c7zs to dip below the msrp of the GS.
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal...5D%5D%5B%5D%5D

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-25-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:17 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Owners like 2ndChance are loving their cars and are very happy with the Z06's chassis and aero and 190 less horsepower.
He doesn't own the car yet.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:18 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbartick
OK, I'm out. 2 forum members who, neither one of them, own the cars they are talking about and sound like they have no intention of buying any of the cars they are cross-shopping. Can't help mythical people with fantasy scenarios buy make-believe cars. DONE.

Carry on.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
It's just hard for some of you old, overweight, gold chain wearing Vette owners to understand that not everyone gets rolled and smoked into buying a Supercharged Vette. Believe it or not, some people really do prefer NA. I bet 90% of CZ7 owners only bought the car to brag about having 650hp and same owners will mortgage the farm to buy the new ZR or Zora to have same bragging rights.
That's fine. But don't let my sexy hairy chest and knuckles keep you from going back to the C6 forum where you belong. You're not contributing, you're just trolling, and that's not what this forum is for.

To repeat the obvious: you do not own one of our cars, all you do is trash them, you should not be here. Go troll with your C6 owners in the C6 forum. Try to add value, get some Thanks on your account so people know you give back, nut just shart all over wherever you go.

Last edited by davepl; 09-25-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:24 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
That's fine. But don't let my sexy hairy chest and knuckles keep you from going back to the C6 forum where you belong. You're not contributing, you're just trolling, and that's not what this forum is for.

To repeat the obvious: you do not own one of our cars, all you do is trash them, you should not be here. Go troll with your C6 owners in the C6 forum. Try to add value, get some Thanks on your account so people know you give back, nut just shart all over wherever you go.
Go jump off a cliff dude, this thread is a debate about the Z06 and GS and just because you think the GS sucks does not mean people cannot comment against the Z06.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:43 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Go jump off a cliff dude, this thread is a debate about the Z06 and GS and just because you think the GS sucks does not mean people cannot comment against the Z06.
I don't have a problem with the GS. If I did, I would state specific concerns about it and how they could be addressed. I would not make it a hobby of hanging out in the GS forums constantly telling them how foolish they were for having bought a GS.

In fact, unless I was going to buy or had already bought a GS, I wouldn't hang out in the GS forums at all.

Take the hint.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,751 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Guys,

Do we have to close ANOTHER thread because some people can't be on the same playground together?????
Old 09-25-2016, 01:46 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

^^^ Yes please.

To be clear, I haven't said an unkind word about anyone (bust me on it if I did). But I get really tired of the "I don't own a Z and the Z sucks and the Z overheats the the Z shouldn't have a supercharger and blah blah blah" from people that do not own a Z in the forums dedicated to the Z.

If owners of the car want to lament problems, that's great, that's what it's for.

What it's not for is for owners of older generations to come in here and make themselves feel better by insulting the people that own the current car. It looks like pure envy and comes across with a bad smell. And in this case, you've got certain members extending that to ad-hominem attacks on people that own the car.

Some forums require you provide your VIN in order to join the special interest group. I think that's silly, but I get the rationale now.

So yeah, I'd close the thread and ban about 3 people. But that's why I'm not a moderator :-)

Last edited by davepl; 09-25-2016 at 01:51 PM.
cvp33 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 03:49 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 975 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
Are you still stalking me??? A little creepy.

OK, I'm out. 2 forum members who, neither one of them, own the cars they are talking about and sound like they have no intention of buying any of the cars they are cross-shopping. Can't help mythical people with fantasy scenarios buy make-believe cars. DONE.

Carry on.
My car's built just not shipped. It hopefully will arrive this week and I'll pay cash for it. All that being said, if there was a Grand Sport Forum I'd spend my forum time there. However there's not one. I asked the Moderators for one and they said no. That leaves we Grand Sport guys with visiting the Z06 Forum for desired serious information (while being treated like a red-headed stepchild) and the General Forum (while being trashed as nothing but wannabe, ugly sticker mobiles). It's difficult to have any kind of serious discussion when so many are so incredibly defensive about their purchase. So until they ever do decide to offer a GS Forum we GS guys have to discuss in the alternate forums.

I entered this discussion wondering how much the Z07 package adds to the tracking ability VS just upping the HP. I found it interesting till the condescending griping started to take over. Call me disappointed.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:17 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
Are you still stalking me??? A little creepy.

My car's built just not shipped. It hopefully will arrive this week and I'll pay cash for it. All that being said, if there was a Grand Sport Forum I'd spend my forum time there. However there's not one. I asked the Moderators for one and they said no. That leaves we Grand Sport guys with visiting the Z06 Forum for desired serious information (while being treated like a red-headed stepchild) and the General Forum (while being trashed as nothing but wannabe, ugly sticker mobiles). It's difficult to have any kind of serious discussion when so many are so incredibly defensive about their purchase. So until they ever do decide to offer a GS Forum we GS guys have to discuss in the alternate forums.

I entered this discussion wondering how much the Z07 package adds to the tracking ability VS just upping the HP. I found it interesting till the condescending griping started to take over. Call me disappointed.
Dont be disappointed or defensive you've made your choice and you have a great car on the way. Not sure why you had to add "paid cash for" but all good. Paying cash for a car is a foolish investment. Take the 1.99% @ 72 mos like I did and invest the $75K into something that bears interest and you can easily overcome the 1.99% or at a minimum neutralize it (read rich dad).

Back on topic. I wish they would create a GS forum. Really think that you GS owners are going to need a place to get answers around your unique car's issues, unfortunately Z06 owners won't be much help. Especially and including questions around cars that aren't delivered or even planned to be bought or hypothetical scenarios with non-owners chiming in.

I think the questions raised in this thread were unanswerable and spark debates where some felt the need to justify their GS purchase and defy logic by paying more than a new 2016 Z06 price, not vice-versa. So to recap the multiple pages.

1) Is a GS worth more than a similarly equipped Z06? How could it be?

2) Will a similarly equipped GS beat a Z06 on any track? Not sure under what special circumstance (track, weather, pixy dust) that could ever be true.

2a) Can a $80K GS, with a hopeful 10% dealer discount, with full Z07 package beat a base Z06 for $69K? Really? Really?

3) Have some automatic Z06's over-heated on a track? It definitely appears so. So why not buy a manual and add the cooler? Problem solved?

4) So this leaves the questions:
- Who buys a GS for near Z06 money and gives up the 190hp?
- Someone who wants to drive an auto on a road course? Maybe?
- Someone who thinks 650hp is just too much, too dangerous, etc?
- Someone who likes fender hash marks, badging and the Z06's styling without the power?

If these are the types of threads that GS owners want to engage in, or future-potential-possible-owners will want to participate in, then yes, we need a GS forum......quickly before the Z06 forum completely bogs down with these hypothetical-theory-based scenarios become the norm.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:40 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

2a) Can a $80K GS, with a hopeful 10% dealer discount, with full Z07 package beat a base Z06 for $69K?
2b) Are the GS fans that keep posting in this forum going to spend a significant amount of time running 10/10ths on a road course or will their cars (if they get them) just live on the street? I would be interested in watching their road course PDR videos.

Last edited by rbartick; 09-25-2016 at 04:41 PM.
cvp33 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 975 Likes on 531 Posts

^^You have looked past most "everything" I've said in my replies. You must be a politician because you "spin" everything. If it makes "you" feel better...I see past your nonsense.

Boys enjoy your forum as I find a couple of you (you know who you are) lacking when it comes to being able to have an interesting conversation. Only reply if it makes you feel better as I won't respond any further.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:40 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
^^You have looked past most "everything" I've said in my replies. You must be a politician because you "spin" everything. If it makes "you" feel better...I see past your nonsense.

Boys enjoy your forum as I find a couple of you (you know who you are) lacking when it comes to being able to have an interesting conversation. Only reply if it makes you feel better as I won't respond any further.
Enjoy your GS when you get it and remember, if you should decide to track it....you will not have to worry about overheating or the limp mode option the C7Z has.

Get notified of new replies

To Stage 1 Z06 vs GS Z07

Old 09-25-2016, 06:58 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

All 3 said in essence, given the capabilities of the base Z06 and adding 107hp they would never drive the Callaway at 10/10ths at VIR. I won't either.

The GS hit ~140mph on the front straight at VIR. I've done 150mph in the V and unfortunately had an off. Same with my SRT8 with 625rwhp. Knowing the Callaway could hit 165mph without aero is sobering. Don't blame anyone for opting for a GS.
I'd buy that. Though when you consider there are 1500hp track cars that weigh half what ours do, it lends some perspective.

My Z will hit 160 on our straight (with Stage 3) and I wouldn't want to be much faster, granted.

Enjoy your GS when you get it and remember, if you should decide to track it....you will not have to worry about overheating or the limp mode option the C7Z has.
Yeah, but it's worth it not to drive a Rubbermaid interior.

Last edited by davepl; 09-25-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:00 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I will add my vote for a GS forum simply to keep this kind of conversation from happening. Anyone else in on that thought?

If you were driving both, the Z06 would be faster on every track you could find except a very tight technical slow track where the tires made up the difference in times the Z06's power advantage gives it. Now as you are an autocrosser that is the type of track where it is very possible a GS with SC2s would beat a Z06 without SC2s. As you well know the SC2s are not legal in much but CAM these days so that advantage goes away as you need to change your GS to BFG Rivals to be competitive. So that costs money for new 18 inch wheels and the Rivals. I, too, have been anti Power Adder for years. But after building a handful of track cars that became very unfriendly to drive on the street to get adequate NA power, I joined the Dark Side and bought a new Z06. I was looking at a 2017 GS but the 20% off deal was too good to miss. Yes I saw a few 7-8% off GS offers, but that still was not equal value in my book. But if it is in yours, enjoy the GS. It is a heckofa car. But the Z06 is a HellofA car given equal costs.
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
cvp33 (09-25-2016), sunsalem (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 08:28 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I'd buy that. Though when you consider there are 1500hp track cars that weigh half what ours do, it lends some perspective.

My Z will hit 160 on our straight (with Stage 3) and I wouldn't want to be much faster, granted.

Yeah, but it's worth it not to drive a Rubbermaid interior.
I thought about buying a dedicated track car.....looked at Ariel Atoms and Radicals. In the end I just wanted a street car that could also hold its own at VIR. Believe me I got passed plenty at the last two track events by a Viper ACR and 2 Z06's. The CTS-V ran well for what it was outpacing a lot or Porsche's, Audis,etc, but the Z06 is just purpose built. After years of making a pig fly I had to stop fighting the inevitable and get the right car to do the right job.

As for the Rubbermaid comment. That's the only thing that kept me out of the last generation Z06 and that was a mistake. The CTS-V had a ton of power, perfect interior for me and I loved the looks. I ran 11.52@122mph in the car bone stock except drag radials and CAI. It was never meant to run on a road course at 4,500lbs with driver and fuel and did way better than it should have. BUT, I missed some great years of driving that C6 chassis and really tearing up VIR.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 1 Z06 vs GS Z07