C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Sounds like rumble strips

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:39 PM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Yep that the fart!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Tom McMahon
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 7.0ltrpower
... could it be the small torque tube vibration in Eco-mode... Tadge discussed long ago... Saw in video..

Hi,
Couldn't find video.
Can you help.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:44 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I think the "rattle" from the belt tensioner is a separate noise and usually only effected earlier Stingrays. I have not witnessed that issue on 2015 or 2016 models yet.

I'm also curious as to what this noise is. Subfloor and another C7Z customer have been experiencing this and I can't find any TSB or other info from GM.
I agree... This is not a belt tensioner noise.
It is in the drive train and happens while in V4 mode and goes away just before going back to V8 mode.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:49 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Originally Posted by jenfioreally
I am new an joined just to reply to your post!

I could have written the OP. I noticed a similar noise at about 3000 miles. Then it changed to sounding like a mouse (squeak) every time it would change between v8 an v4 an back. It also seems like it is changing more than usual... an then all of a sudden something blew out on it Friday night when my husband was driving an now it sounds like a jake brake when it changes.
I have a video an if I can figure out how to post it I'll try an add it.
I have a few other problems too an not sure if they are related. When I start it up first thing in the am it has a hard/long time turning over the engine- I also hear fluid cycling through somewhere an it's shifting really hard sometimes starting an stopping.

Did you find out what your noise was from? Im very interested in what the answer is because this is NOT normal.
I'm taking mine in tomorrow morning an I hope this is an easy fix an my car will be back like new since I just got it in June.
I have not had it in yet, the noise is very subtle, probably in its early stages. I would not want to take it in just to get the "No problem found " answer. That would light a fire under me.
I have noticed the sound increasing in duration lately but not in volume.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:53 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

I'm hoping this posts!

When mine started out it sounded like the other videos that were posted. This is what it turned into after something happened on Friday night. I have about 12,000 miles, but noticed it at about 3000 the first time an then it progressed to this.

https://youtu.be/j2dpiO_51_I
If you put the trans in manual "M" mode, it stays in V8 mode.
Does it make that noise in V8 mode???

Mine only makes the noise in V4
Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Does anyone have this noise in V8 mode?

I wonder if this exists in the base non supercharged engines?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Tom McMahon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7.0ltrpower
... could it be the small torque tube vibration in Eco-mode... Tadge discussed long ago... Saw in video..
I do remember the video but can't find video.
Can you help?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 PM
Tom McMahon
Instructor

I'm hoping this posts!

When mine started out it sounded like the other videos that were posted. This is what it turned into after something happened on Friday night. I have about 12,000 miles, but noticed it at about 3000 the first time an then it progressed to this.

https://youtu.be/j2dpiO_51_I
Thanks for adding video.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Tom McMahon
Instructor

Originally Posted by dckotwicki
I agree... This is not a belt tensioner noise.
It is in the drive train and happens while in V4 mode and goes away just before going back to V8 mode.
Have you seen video submitted by jenfioreally
Does this noise sound like your Corvette?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:21 AM
cadiman1949
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I started a new post myself yesterday about this exact problem. I got one reply that led me to this post and it's exactly what I'm complaining about myself. I took my car into the dealership yesterday and showed the Mechanic and Service Writer that this noise was not hard to duplicate and that this noise could NOT be normal. My noise is at about the level of the first set of videos posted and I was able to record it with the car's PDR system. I explained to mechanic & service writer this could NOT be normal and that I was sure GM knew about this problem as there are complaints all over the internet about this noise shifting from V4 to V8 modes. I have been wrenching for 32 years and I know what is considered a normal noise and THIS AINT ONE OF THEM NOISES!!! The diagnosis you posted sounds quite plausible. My car is 17 months old and has almost 14,000 miles. The should have kept the LS9 engine for these cars, the LT4 seems to have been released too soon! My car got a new engine within the first 6 months of it's life because it spun a main bearing on the crankshaft!!!

I'm really not wanting to get rid of my car because it's a Crystal Red Z06 Convertible with a Kalahari Interior... GM didn't make 10 like this one and I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE this car!!! It's the best riding, best driving and most powerful Corvette I have ever owned or driven... Lets hope they fix the issue!

Last edited by cadiman1949; 10-25-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:45 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Originally Posted by cadiman1949
I started a new post myself yesterday about this exact problem. I got one reply that led me to this post and it's exactly what I'm complaining about myself. I took my car into the dealership yesterday and showed the Mechanic and Service Writer that this noise was not hard to duplicate and that this noise could NOT be normal. My noise is at about the level of the first set of videos posted and I was able to record it with the car's PDR system. I explained to mechanic & service writer this could NOT be normal and that I was sure GM knew about this problem as there are complaints all over the internet about this noise shifting from V4 to V8 modes. I have been wrenching for 32 years and I know what is considered a normal noise and THIS AINT ONE OF THEM NOISES!!! The diagnosis you posted sounds quite plausible. My car is 17 months old and has almost 14,000 miles. The should have kept the LS9 engine for these cars, the LT4 seems to have been released too soon! My car got a new engine within the first 6 months of it's life because it spun a main bearing on the crankshaft!!!

I'm really not wanting to get rid of my car because it's a Crystal Red Z06 Convertible with a Kalahari Interior... GM didn't make 10 like this one and I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE this car!!! It's the best riding, best driving and most powerful Corvette I have ever owned or driven... Lets hope they fix the issue!
The person who posted the sound video above told me that the dealer said the following. AFTER DRIVING AND INSPECTING ENGINE CALLED TAC ON ENGINE NOISE CONCERN AND THEY RECOMMEND REPLACING ALL AFM LIFTERS AND VALVE LIFTER MANIFOLD"

I'm guessing that this is not good news for the rest of us who have this issue. The noise that I am experiencing is 1/10th the volume of the video. HOWEVER, it was not there when the vehicle was new I am noticing the duration of the "rumble strip" noise is increasing. This is the most money I have EVER spent on a vehicle. I hope it does not become my biggest dissapointment.
The following users liked this post:
FastestBusaAround (12-09-2017)
Old 10-25-2016, 11:55 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Not to hijack the op but just wanted to add the diagnosis to my issue since I chimed in.

REPLACING ALL AFM LIFTERS AND VALVE LIFTER MANIFOLD

My car is 5 months old an has 12,000 miles an I'm really unhappy about this.

There was a prior Thread re: The Valve Lifter manifold issue........

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-issue.html

Appears that the assembly was being re-engineered several times...no resolution posted by OP.

POST #41:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591439714

POST #44:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591445137

"That's the correct part. According to the dealer where it's being repaired, it has been re-engineered 3 times in the last 45 days and they are working on the 4th design. If it hasn't failed on any other 16 Z06, they say it's a matter of when, not if."

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 10-25-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:35 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

For those that don't like this noise and potential future issues there is a way to disable the AFM altogether.

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8
Old 10-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Tom McMahon
Instructor

Not to hijack the op but just wanted to add the diagnosis to my issue since I chimed in.

REPLACING ALL AFM LIFTERS AND VALVE LIFTER MANIFOLD

My car is 5 months old an has 12,000 miles an I'm really unhappy about this.
Sorry for your trouble (That's Sick) with expensive C7 Corvette that's only five months old with 12,000 miles.
Did you investigate the dealer that they are capable repairing your Corvette?
Hope the repairs are acceptable and would like to talk to you privately.
Believe me or not I can help if repairs go south.
Did you say what State you are in?

Last edited by Tom McMahon; 10-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

could it not be the torque converter? I had a distinct rumble strip noise as you described in my A8 LT1 2015 Truck. Dealer replaced torque converter, all fixed now. mine seemed to do it when I drove easy and the gears shifted up at around 45-55 mph.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:53 PM
cadiman1949
Intermediate

My Z06 has been at the dealer for 2 days now... Still no news from them. I sent the service writer a link to this discussion. I am sure they know that I now know what exactly is going on and how common this issue is... It is NOT normal. I am sorry that jenfiorreally has had such a problem after just 5 months. My car has already had an engine replaced at around 7000 miles when if suffered from a spun main bearing. Now if it needs all the lifter and a LOMA that would equally suck as the engine in the car has barely 6000 miles on it now. I read the bulletin and the camshaft could also have damage... I'll be talking this issue up with GM and I'm looking closely at the Lemon Laws in my State as well. Please keeps us posted on how the repairs go on your car. Maybe GM would give you a new 2016 or allow you to order a new 2017 if they can't fix the car to your satisfaction...
Old 10-27-2016, 11:35 AM
cadiman1949
Intermediate

Most Lemon Laws state that they have 30 business days to fix an issue covered by warranty... That is 30 cumulative days so start keeping track and don't say anything to the deal about what you are doing. I am going to gather all the service records on my car and see how many days the dealerships in my town have had the car. Even though I purchased the car from the original owner I am covered because the car is still under factory warranty and the problem started less than 18 months from the date of new car delivery. My car has had one complete engine failure at around 7000 miles and now it looks like it's going to need major work on the replacement engine just 6 or 8 months later with less than 7000 miles on that engine again. The dealer has still not contacted me to tell me what they have found... this is starting day #4 with no progress. I'll let the dealer run the clock on this one for sure. I am going to track the service records and see how many days this car has been in for service with this complaint and engine failure, I'll be they are getting close to 30 business days.

P.S.
The picture you posted sure goes with the video you posted with sound. The sound I heard on that video was a very solid metal on metal sound and that picture does not surprise me in the least!

Last edited by cadiman1949; 10-27-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sounds like rumble strips

Old 10-27-2016, 02:26 PM
cadiman1949
Intermediate

Getting a new engine installed is not that big a deal if you have documentation. I have documentation and it was done by a qualified Chevy dealer. If you have a problem engine you want it replaced rather than just patching your old one. Give them a chance to fix yours but you need to make it clear to them it has to operate as new. I take it you have an LT1? Mine is the supercharged LT4. These are expensive cars (mine being near $100K new) and you can bet I'm not the only one who will hold GM's feet to fire if that is what it takes to get the problem resolved. I am in the Corvette restoration business and I have a few clients who are lawyers who can help me if I need it. Just keep good records of everything that they tell you and get them to put it in writing. The guy I got my car from didn't get a lot of stuff in writing so they pushed him around and pretended stuff never happened... don't let them do that to you.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:05 AM
cadiman1949
Intermediate

Have you heard anything new about your Corvette and how it is going on the repairs? My car has spent the entire week at the dealership and I have not even gotten as much as a phone call from anyone telling me a thing. I went by there on Wednesday to get copies of all of the service records and I think I saw the hood up on my car in the shop (from a distance)... Getting the service records was a goldmine of information.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:24 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Default Placed into storage

I made the original posting (this post).
I have emailed the service manager to kinda sorta get it on record.
I live in Michigan and have placed the car into storage for the winter.
I will re open the issue in early spring.
It is a Z06 (2016) with 4725 miles and 3 oil & filter changes.
I do not beat the car.
If anyone in warmer climates has any issues or dealer diagnosis or resolutions please post.

Let's keep this alive.

Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Sounds like rumble strips