C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Exhaust issues....NPP won't close

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:14 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Exhaust issues....NPP won't close

I've had some exhaust issues lately. Recently, when in sport mode changing over to tour mode exhaust is not get quieter like it did in the past. I went into the engine mode and set it to stealth with no luck. Even on start up and tour mode with stealth setting the butterflies are awayS open. Wtf?
I've also noticed them upon hard acceleration the car does not have an angry scream as it used to as well. Something is definitely up I checked the fuses they are both not blown. Car is in stealth engine management and mode is in Tour, start up and both valves are open. Maybe software issues???

Last edited by chasboland; 09-27-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Updated info
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (06-12-2018)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:35 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

That sounds strange. When I am at idle (like in garage where it's quiet) or cruising & change the exhaust mode it immediately gets quieter or louder. There are electrical plugs on the outside exhaust pipes at each. Don't suppose they could have come loose (locking clips) or gotten so wet they are not working properly to allow changes. Seems you would maybe have gotten a code too. I am just totally guessing, I'm sure someone will come up with the correct answer. Really don't get why W.O.T. doesn't sound same, maybe you're just aggravated with the modes & "suspect" the engine sounds different. Sorry, I should have just waited for an expert!--HA!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:49 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madrob2020
That sounds strange. When I am at idle (like in garage where it's quiet) or cruising & change the exhaust mode it immediately gets quieter or louder. There are electrical plugs on the outside exhaust pipes at each. Don't suppose they could have come loose (locking clips) or gotten so wet they are not working properly to allow changes. Seems you would maybe have gotten a code too. I am just totally guessing, I'm sure someone will come up with the correct answer. Really don't get why W.O.T. doesn't sound same, maybe you're just aggravated with the modes & "suspect" the engine sounds different. Sorry, I should have just waited for an expert!--HA!
I just know that this thing would HOWL big time upon hard acceleration 6 months ago, now it is loud, but not even close to the decibel output when it was new. Something has changed. Just bothersome I guess.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:00 PM
pelotonracer2
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I hope I have that problem when I get my Z06! Sorry I couldn't resist...
Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

If the valves are always open, how could there be less angry scream? Did you get the ***** exhaust option?
z51vett (09-27-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 02:37 AM
MacManInfi
Racer

I don't know if the Z06's work differently than the ZR1's, but the valves in my ZR1 stopped working and the solenoid that controls them needed to be replaced. Wasn't a big deal. Pretty cheap part and easy to replace.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Yes, check the plug-ins at each valve under car if possible for continuity.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Maybe somebody pulled the fuse as a prank??! Did you check the fuse box?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:47 AM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
Maybe somebody pulled the fuse as a prank??! Did you check the fuse box?
I did, both are in and not blown.

Last edited by chasboland; 09-28-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Can you check to see if it's one or both sides? That might be tough, but if you check and find out that only one of the valves is stuck open, then that's probably your answer, one of the valves got cooked or failed.

Point being one side stuck open probably sounds almost exactly like both sides.

If both are actually doing it then it's going to be a control logic thing. You could try pulling the battery for a "hard reset". If that doesn't help, you're stuck with the dealer.

Last edited by davepl; 09-28-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:53 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Can you check to see if it's one or both sides? That might be tough, but if you check and find out that only one of the valves is stuck open, then that's probably your answer, one of the valves got cooked or failed.

Point being one side stuck open probably sounds almost exactly like both sides.

If both are actually doing it then it's going to be a control logic thing. You could try pulling the battery for a "hard reset". If that doesn't help, you're stuck with the dealer.
Both valves are open. It's funny because in the manual it states that you can turn off the engine management exhaust. I do not see where you can turn it off other than select one of the five options.

Last edited by chasboland; 09-28-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:55 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chasboland
Both valves are open.
Well, it just so happens that I am having a new windshield installed @ dealer on monday. We'll see what they diagnose as the problem.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Sweptclean
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NPP won't close

I've had some exhaust issues lately. Recently, when in sport mode changing over to tour mode exhaust is not get quieter like it did in the past. I went into the engine mode and set it to stealth with no luck. Even on start up and tour mode with stealth setting the butterflies are awayS open. Wtf?
I've also noticed them upon hard acceleration the car does not have an angry scream as it used to as well. Something is definitely up I checked the fuses they are both not blown. Car is in stealth engine management and mode is in Tour, start up and both valves are open. Maybe software issues???
I had this issue with my 2013 GS. There is a vacuum canister somewhere in the back that cracked open and therefore no vacuum to actuate the solenoids that actuate the valves (opening and closing). It happened a second time (after replacing the canister) and it was due the hose getting dried up from all the heat generated by the exhaust. Check your vacuum canister and your hoses.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:15 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sweptclean
I had this issue with my 2013 GS. There is a vacuum canister somewhere in the back that cracked open and therefore no vacuum to actuate the solenoids that actuate the valves (opening and closing). It happened a second time (after replacing the canister) and it was due the hose getting dried up from all the heat generated by the exhaust. Check your vacuum canister and your hoses.
Thanks, I will mention that to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

C7 exhaust valves are electrically activated. Vacuum is not used in the system at all.

Thanks, I will mention that to the dealer tomorrow.
chasboland (10-02-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:58 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Dealer says I need 2 new actuators to fix the problem. Nice.... car is 1yr. old and needs new parts...
Old 10-03-2016, 02:15 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Dealer says I need 2 new actuators to fix the problem. Nice.... car is 1yr. old and needs new parts...
I am having a similar issue. The system works until about 30 mins of driving.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-mode.html

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust issues....NPP won't close

Old 10-04-2016, 05:02 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

update........

Dealer installed two new exhaust actuators and everything seems to be back to normal.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,123 Likes on 530 Posts
Default npp exhaust valve not working

2017 GrandSport, I have one npp exhaust valve that never closes, drivers side. Tour mode, the right closes but not the left. Track mode, the right opens, and the left is already open. I guess I will schedule a service appointment. I hope it is just the electronic valve control and not something more serious, harder to find the cause. I am looking to see if anyone else has had a valve controller go?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweptclean
Different cars different systems! Not the same one uses vacuum the other doesn't!

Quick Reply: Exhaust issues....NPP won't close