C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dragstrip question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Dragstrip question

Going on a group color tour this weekend and may have an opportunity to stop at a local drag strip with an opportunity to take my Z06 down the track. I have looked at the owners manual and don't see much info on the different modes (track, sport, touring etc).

I am wondering, if I get my nerve up, which would be the best mode to leave as many "Nanny's" on as possible for the additional assistance.

Also, should I jump on it right out of the hole or do something like 50% off the line with a gradual increase to full throttle down the track, or some variation of this?

Also, Also... Can anyone give a description of the difference between Track, Sport and Touring as far as the stability control functions that are on or off in these settings?

Thanks much.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dckotwicki
Going on a group color tour this weekend and may have an opportunity to stop at a local drag strip with an opportunity to take my Z06 down the track. I have looked at the owners manual and don't see much info on the different modes (track, sport, touring etc).

I am wondering, if I get my nerve up, which would be the best mode to leave as many "Nanny's" on as possible for the additional assistance.

Also, should I jump on it right out of the hole or do something like 50% off the line with a gradual increase to full throttle down the track, or some variation of this?

Also, Also... Can anyone give a description of the difference between Track, Sport and Touring as far as the stability control functions that are on or off in these settings?

Thanks much.
I think a lot of starting line technique will depend on how prepped the track is. If well prepped you'll be able to very aggressive. If unprepped you're going to have finesse it. Much of the fun is figuring out what it takes to wrestle this beast off of the line.

In any case, while not designed for it this car is a BLAST to run down the quarter mile. Enjoy!

Here is a matrix that I found here on the forum that I saved since it was a great way to visualize the different modes.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:17 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

M7 or A8?

A8, mash and go...

M7, feather the throttle and clutch off the line. Like a hard street start. You should be full throttle rather quickly, assuming a decent burnout...
Old 10-07-2016, 12:28 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Since you sound a little nervous, here's what I'd do.

- Put the car in D
- Put the mode in Sport
- When the last yellow light turns off, floor it

That's all you need to do, and the car will have ALL of it's nannies on. If it gets sideways at all, lift, don't try to save the run. If anything ever feels weird, gently lift and steer. But you'll effectively be driving straight down a two-lane highway.

I'd say that''s your lowest risk, safest way to try it out. With factory tires on a decent surface should be no riskier initially than a freeway onramp, so have fun!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

With little or no drag racing experience I would suggest that you use the "launch control" feature. It tells you in the manual how to use it. Just go around the water box and don't do a burnout. If you do want to heat-up the tires that is going to make your staging prep more complicated. IE you have to turn TC off and then worry about getting it set back into a launch control setting. LC is fairly consistent, but an experienced racer can better its performance. But for those who dont have much experience it's a good option.
Please let us know how you do. You will have a great time. These cars are true super cars. They usually have a big crowd following so be prepared to answer a bunch of questions.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

I did an autocross in July with my car and that is the first time I did any launches with it. Since I was instructing my two grandsons in autocrossing the car I always ran it in Sport 1 (Turn console **** to Track, push the center of the button twice and then use the **** to select Sport 1). This will turn off traction control and leave some stability control in place. When I drove the car I would move it to the start line, bring the revs up to ~ 2300 and when given the green flag let out the clutch. I had Hoosier R7s tires so the car would initially spin the tires slightly, followed by them grabbing as I was letting the clutch out and rolling onto the throttle. Within 40 to 50 feet I was wide open. From the outside it sort of looked like I was using Launch Control since the wheels were doing a similar spin and grip like you see launch control do but I didn't have the throttle wide open since I was starting on a down hill slope which required applying the brake to keep from rolling through the starting line. As soon as I took my foot off the brake I used it to bring the revs to 2300 before the car could move more than a few inches.

Here is a video showing the rpms going up close to 3K just as I let the clutch out.

As you can tell I wasn't getting an excessive slippage coming off the line, however, the Hoosiers probably gave me a little more grip than stock PSS tires. If you have the Sport Cup2s they will be closer in performance. Notice the car went where I steered it since the rear tires were gripping. Oh, by the way PTM was active which may have reduced slippage. PTM is great since once the tire gets traction you go.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-07-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:27 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
M7 or A8?

A8, mash and go...

M7, feather the throttle and clutch off the line. Like a hard street start. You should be full throttle rather quickly, assuming a decent burnout...
I have an A8
Old 10-07-2016, 04:31 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

I have an A8.
The overall message is...
Put in in D
Sport mode
Stomp it when the light turns green
Ease off is it gets squirmy.

Thanks all.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have an A8.
The overall message is...
Put in in D
Sport mode
Stomp it when the light turns green
Ease off is it gets squirmy.

Thanks all.
Not to confuse you but nobody has had success running their A8 trans Z by just putting it in regular sport mode without turning traction control off. You cars computer will just kill all power to the engine with traction control on as soon as it detects and spinning of the tires and you will embarass yourself with a terrible elapsed time (ET) if you keep ALL the nannines on. THerefore, you will want to put it in sport mode and hit the traction control button once quickly to take off traction control (but still keep active handling on to assist you if the car gets squirrelly).

Most have had success by doing what I reference above but but keeping it in touring mode (turn of traction control only) and then launch b/c the less stiff suspension probably allows the car to squat better in the rear upon launching quite possible leading to a better 60 foot time which ALWAYS Leads to a better Elapsed Time (E/T)!.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-07-2016 at 06:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SLEEKVET (10-08-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 10:37 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Thanks all!
Old 10-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Anthonys_Zo6
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks much.
I can only give advice if you have A8... if so do burnout in manual mode 1st,2nd gear shift back in drive.... tack it up 2000 rpm and stab and stear.... if the tracks good you should not have a problem pulling 1.65 60 ft or better that's what I did on stock mpss
Old 10-08-2016, 11:51 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Anthonys_Zo6
I can only give advice if you have A8... if so do burnout in manual mode 1st,2nd gear shift back in drive.... tack it up 2000 rpm and stab and stear.... if the tracks good you should not have a problem pulling 1.65 60 ft or better that's what I did on stock mpss
What mode do you run in (TC and Active Handling both on)?

What's was your best et and mph with that great 60 foot times on stock tires?
Old 10-08-2016, 11:55 PM
Anthonys_Zo6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
What mode do you run in (TC and Active Handling both on)?

What's was your best et and mph with that great 60 foot times on stock tires?
I was down in Florida at the time weather is a lot different from up north.. we did a track rental at pbir I made like 15 passes Tried every mode car seemed to run best in sport mode just traction off.. hit button one time... best I can get was 10.75 @129 1.65 60ft... down in Florida hot heat muggy humid
Old 10-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

I was down in Florida at the time weather is a lot different from up north.. we did a track rental at pbir I made like 15 passes Tried every mode car seemed to run best in sport mode just traction off.. hit button one time... best I can get was 10.75 @129 1.65 60ft... down in Florida hot heat muggy humid
WOW, outstanding congrats, I'm jealous, just went today and could only muster a 11.20 at 124.9 in good air (500 DA)!
Old 10-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Anthonys_Zo6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
WOW, outstanding congrats, I'm jealous, just went today and could only muster a 11.20 at 124.9 in good air (500 DA)!
thanks.. where you live? What was your short time? Try that method I told you if tracks good it will hook
Old 10-09-2016, 12:52 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

thanks.. where you live? What was your short time? Try that method I told you if tracks good it will hook
I had only one GOOD 60 ft time out of 4 runs spun like chit on the other 3. That one good 60 foot time on NITTO drag radial was a 1.649 and yielded me my 11.20 but low mph for some strange reason 124.12 (thus costing me my 10 second time slip that I was very confident I was going to get).

This was run at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove WI (South/ East WI) with GOOD Da of +500, on a picture perfect 57 degree sunny day. My theory is that I spun at 1/2 track a bit and active handling kicked in and killed my mph as the car seemed to short shift.

I did run in your EXACT MODE and could not hook up on that run (regular sport mode T/C off). I am PISSED off that I did not run the car with both TC and Stablity track off when I ran my good 60 foot time b/c that could have given me the extra mph (power) that I needed to go a 10.9x time slip, however, on a positive note the car did skate a bit at half track and maybe the stability trac saved my *** (I don't know), i do know I hate that cement wall right next to me and HATE more that my $85K dollar car is not INSURED on a race track.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I thought active handling was off if tc was off unless you're in track mode? So S mode with tc off also has AH off.

Get notified of new replies

To Dragstrip question

Old 10-10-2016, 01:42 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Dfwz06
I thought active handling was off if tc was off unless you're in track mode? So S mode with tc off also has AH off.
No. In regular sport mode if you just turn off traction control off by hitting the center console once real quick stabilitrac/active handling is still on. This is the same case when you are in touring, sport, or track mode. To turn off both Trac. control and stabiltrac/active handling in these mode press the center console button for about 6 or 7 second straight and then you will have turned both nanny features off.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I tried just tapping the trac button today in S mode. Hit it in 2nd gear, and was all over the place. I never felt active handling kick in.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good stuff

Quick Reply: Dragstrip question