C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Has anyone experienced ECM not allowing you to a do burnout at drag strip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Has anyone experienced ECM not allowing you to a do burnout at drag strip?

Went to the track today and I was caught off guard, BIG TIME, when the nannines on my 2016 Z with A8 trans did not allow me to do a burnout while in regular sport mode with just T/C off. The ecm was killing all power to the ground (yes t/c was certainly turned off) while in the above mode when I tried doing my burnout in drive. After that was a failure I then imediately tried doing the burnout in manual mode in 1st gear (and car would not allow me to do that either)!

Has anyone in an A8 tranny car experienced this and if yes what exact mode where you running in?

More importantly, what has to be done to avoid this happening again?

Also, when this happened to me today I had my air pressure in my Nitto drags 345/30/19s mounted on C7 Z 19 inch knock off rims and the tire pressure was lowered to 21 lbs, and my ecm picked up on that fact as the dash cluster DIC said low tire pressure. Is this the reason this happened, the ecm knew that I had too low of tire pressure and nannies kicked in not allowing me to do a burnout?

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-09-2016 at 12:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fore58 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:38 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Went to the track today and I was caught off guard, BIG TIME, when the nannines on my 2016 Z with A8 trans did not allow me to do a burnout while in regular sport mode with just T/C off. The ecm was killing all power to the ground (yes t/c was certainly turned off) while in the above mode when I tried doing my burnout in drive. After that was a failure I then imediately tried doing the burnout in manual mode in 1st gear (and car would not allow me to do that either)!

Has anyone in an A8 tranny car experienced this and if yes what exact mode where you running in?

Also, when this happened to me today I had my air pressure in my Nitto drags 345/30/19s mounted on C7 Z 19 inch knock off rims and the tire pressure was lowered to 21 lbs, and my ecm picked up on that fact as the dash cluster DIC said low tire pressure. Is this the reason this happened, the ecm knew that I had too low of tire pressure and nannies kicked in not allowing me to do a burnout?
This why I'm looking forward to a tune and headers come monday. The tune should fix a lot. Then over the winter go to a centi kit from A&A with a Ysi blower.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 AM
foot 1
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 117 Posts

You have to push and hold the t/c button for about 5seconds then all the nannies are turned off just be carefull after that because if you haven't driven it that way before you really don't realize how much the computer really saves your bacon
GSpeed (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by foot 1
You have to push and hold the t/c button for about 5seconds then all the nannies are turned off just be carefull after that because if you haven't driven it that way before you really don't realize how much the computer really saves your bacon
Yeah I know that is how to turn all nannine off (TC and Stabiltrac/Active Handling). But I am not certain that the fact that I just had T/C off was the reason the car cut all power and would not let me do a burnout. The 3 other passes I did it allowed me to do a burnout and just T/C was turned off stabiltrac remained on and it allowed me to do a burnout so it was a very strange experience. Obviously, some sort of ecm nanny kicked in (could be also to the low TPMS warning for running low air pressure in the drag radails also)? Not sure, it was a very bizarre strange occurrence that took me by surprise b/c I know several others here who ran in the EXACT mode that I was in also with lowered tire pressure for drag racing where the TPMS warning would have come on who never experienced this.

Has this ever happened to your at the track when you just had TC off and not Stabiltrac/active handling?

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-09-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

I had a track rental this past Thursday at Atco Dragway, made 4 passes and never had a problem doing a burnout. Running 345-30-19 Nitto NT05R drag radials on 19 x 12 C7 Z06 repro wheels with TPMS sensors installed. Traction control off. Hit the button once. Left active handling and stabilitrak on. Low tire pressure light was on all day. BTW this is my 3rd track rental with the Z06. No issues whatsoever.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Turbo Bob
I had a track rental this past Thursday at Atco Dragway, made 4 passes and never had a problem doing a burnout. Running 345-30-19 Nitto NT05R drag radials on 19 x 12 C7 Z06 repro wheels with TPMS sensors installed. Traction control off. Hit the button once. Left active handling and stabilitrak on. Low tire pressure light was on all day. BTW this is my 3rd track rental with the Z06. No issues whatsoever.
I know you did this from your other thread regarding your impressive 10.80 run at 129+mph.

I am running your exact set-up for rims and tires and did exactly what you stated above and on one of my burnouts some major nanny kicked in not allowing me to do a burnout at all in drive sport mode (with TC off), and then in manual (first gear) in the same mode. Car was almost acting like TC was kicking in but it was not it was turned off, and the guy working the Christmas tree thought I had it on also and when he came up to my car I showed him the ICON on the DIC Dash Cluster display that indicated TC was in fact turned off.

I will chalk it up to some type of bizarre situation where some nanny was kicking in (for some strange reason) and hopefully that won't happen again.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-09-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:01 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Is there any chance the car mistook your right-pedal action during your burnout as an attempt to initiate launch control?

If your braking is too heavy (and no waterbox, for example) and the tires don't turn before the throttle has gone to about 50%, I've found the car goes into that "limit RPM against the brake" mode and won't do a burnout.

So, flash the pedal a little quicker, find some more forgiving surface, use some bleach, whatever... no, not really bleach, it's hard on tires!
Old 10-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Is there any chance the car mistook your right-pedal action during your burnout as an attempt to initiate launch control?

If your braking is too heavy (and no waterbox, for example) and the tires don't turn before the throttle has gone to about 50%, I've found the car goes into that "limit RPM against the brake" mode and won't do a burnout.

So, flash the pedal a little quicker, find some more forgiving surface, use some bleach, whatever... no, not really bleach, it's hard on tires!
No, there was no way I was in launch control, b/c you have to be in track mode first and then go to your PTM modes and put the car in Sport 2 or RACE mode to access launch control. I was not even in track mode when this happened, I was in regular Sport (Not sport 1 or Sport 2) with just T/C off and also with TPMS warning b/c my Nitto Drags on back where aired down to 22 lbs.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-09-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

So nobody else in either an A8 or M7 tranny Z has experienced some type of nanny (maybe torque management, TPMS warning light, stabiltrac/active handling, etc.) preventing them from doing a burnout in the drag strip while Traction Control (only) was turned off in one of the basic (non Track PTM setting, i.e. Sport 1, 2 or Race) either in Touring, Sport or Track mode?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable input on this subject.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

I agree with Dave 396LT1. You can't roll into the throttle. Have to flash the throttle quickly. Also make sure you have enough water in the water box and go through it. And with the tire pressure you were running in the Nittos I believe you said 21 or 22 lbs. you shouldn't have had any problems doing a burnout.
Mopar Jimmy (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 05:47 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

No, there was no way I was in launch control, b/c you have to be in track mode first and then go to your PTM modes and put the car in Sport 2 or RACE mode to access launch control. I was not even in track mode when this happened, I was in regular Sport (Not sport 1 or Sport 2) with just T/C off and also with TPMS warning b/c my Nitto Drags on bad where aired down to 22 lbs.
OK, it might not be launch control by name, but there are still torque limits as I said. If you exceed them without breaking the tires free quickly, you'll get what you got.

I think you overlooked the solution in my post.
Mopar Jimmy (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
OK, it might not be launch control by name, but there are still torque limits as I said. If you exceed them without breaking the tires free quickly, you'll get what you got.

I think you overlooked the solution in my post.
After reading your post here and re-reading your initial post that certainly is a possibility of what very well may have happened. But keep in mind I did go through the water box and the tires were certainly wet when this happened.

Thank you.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:47 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

No, there was no way I was in launch control, b/c you have to be in track mode first and then go to your PTM modes and put the car in Sport 2 or RACE mode to access launch control. I was not even in track mode when this happened, I was in regular Sport (Not sport 1 or Sport 2) with just T/C off and also with TPMS warning b/c my Nitto Drags on bad where aired down to 22 lbs.
That's actually not quite accurate. You can activate launch control in either Sport or Track mode BUT the TC has to be left on. I'm sure it was an anomaly. I agree with stabbing the throttle quickly when doing your burnout, but I'm guessing you already knew that.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
That's actually not quite accurate. You can activate launch control in either Sport or Track mode BUT the TC has to be left on. I'm sure it was an anomaly. I agree with stabbing the throttle quickly when doing your burnout, but I'm guessing you already knew that.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:39 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
That's actually not quite accurate. You can activate launch control in either Sport or Track mode BUT the TC has to be left on.
The manual says that Launch Control requires PTM, which is not available in Sport or 'normal' Track.

Last edited by rbartick; 08-09-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by foot 1
That's no s*$#. lol
Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

any solution to this problem? I am experiencing the same thing with my '15 A8.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone experienced ECM not allowing you to a do burnout at drag strip?

Quick Reply: Has anyone experienced ECM not allowing you to a do burnout at drag strip?