C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

D3 oil cooler any installed yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 01:08 PM
srtz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default D3 oil cooler any installed yet?

has anyone installed the d3 oil cooler that takes the place of the driver side brake duct? id like to see if there were any hick ups or things that got in the way of the install? any pointers?
Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

My tuner just today was showing where he just put on for a customer.
First I had heard of them. Replaces the stock unit.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Sam@amp
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I have one on the car we went 8's with. If its an auto trans car you have to move the trans lines over a few inches. Nothing too difficult at all.

Crusing the car on the streets in 90 degree air the oil temp never gets above 185* when coolant temps were 195*. With the factory "cooler" the oil temp was usually 15-20* higher than the coolant temp.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:41 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam@amp
I have one on the car we went 8's with. If its an auto trans car you have to move the trans lines over a few inches. Nothing too difficult at all.

Crusing the car on the streets in 90 degree air the oil temp never gets above 185* when coolant temps were 195*. With the factory "cooler" the oil temp was usually 15-20* higher than the coolant temp.
So it works for cooling oil, but aren't you giving up brake cooling then (which isn't the best on the C7)?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:51 PM
srtz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

cool...mine is an m7 i was just confused about the orientation of the valve and which one is feed and which is return...btw congrats on the new world record. I also was curious where you guys got the front grill cover from? or if you guys make it how i can purchase it?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Sam@amp
Advanced

Originally Posted by four0nefive
So it works for cooling oil, but aren't you giving up brake cooling then (which isn't the best on the C7)?
D3 did their own track testing with the system. You would have to ask them that question.
I dont care about brake temp because I only street drive and drag race this car. Im actually removing the Z front brakes and putting Z51 rotors and calipers on the car to save weight.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Sam@amp
Advanced

Originally Posted by srtz06
cool...mine is an m7 i was just confused about the orientation of the valve and which one is feed and which is return...btw congrats on the new world record. I also was curious where you guys got the front grill cover from? or if you guys make it how i can purchase it?
Closest to the front of the motor is feed, rear fitting is return.
We made that grill cover in house for this car only. I could make another if you want but it requires a special tool to pop the nut certs into the core support behind the grill.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:38 PM
srtz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Closest to the front of the motor is feed, rear fitting is return.
We made that grill cover in house for this car only. I could make another if you want but it requires a special tool to pop the nut certs into the core support behind the grill.
thank you very much for clarifying....i know this may sound funny but would i be able to tape it over the front grill... as in tape around all of it then attach it to the front grill and have it taped to the bumper...its only gnat be used at the drag strip
Old 10-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Sam@amp
Advanced

thank you very much for clarifying....i know this may sound funny but would i be able to tape it over the front grill... as in tape around all of it then attach it to the front grill and have it taped to the bumper...its only gnat be used at the drag strip
You would run the risk of it coming off the car during a pass. I could make you one and you figure out how to attach it with tape.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:19 PM
srtz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

You would run the risk of it coming off the car during a pass. I could make you one and you figure out how to attach it with tape.
sounds good can you make it flat on the back side so that way i can put it flush against it (not sure how it normally is)...thank you...my email is sevadakhanlari@yahoo.com
Old 10-11-2016, 07:04 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

This doesn't appear to be a good road course driving solution. The asymmetric drivers side design and impact to brake cooling isn't ideal. But then how does it help for a drag car? You're sitting in the staging lanes with no airflow over the cooler. Then during a 1/4mi run you'll never overheat your engine oil anyway.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:50 PM
srtz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spearfish25
This doesn't appear to be a good road course driving solution. The asymmetric drivers side design and impact to brake cooling isn't ideal. But then how does it help for a drag car? You're sitting in the staging lanes with no airflow over the cooler. Then during a 1/4mi run you'll never overheat your engine oil anyway.
well a few runs in a row and then waiting in line and the ambient temp alil it starts to slowly put a toll on the oil...as for as i go I'm doing any cooling mod i can even if i havnt noticed a problem...id rather be safe then sorry....i wouldn't wanna go out with a couple of buddies and have fun with the car only for the over heating issues to kill my mood and fun....i bought the far to use it so there for any coolings upgrades available I'm in!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:52 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

well a few runs in a row and then waiting in line and the ambient temp alil it starts to slowly put a toll on the oil...as for as i go I'm doing any cooling mod i can even if i havnt noticed a problem...id rather be safe then sorry....i wouldn't wanna go out with a couple of buddies and have fun with the car only for the over heating issues to kill my mood and fun....i bought the far to use it so there for any coolings upgrades available I'm in!
You'll have to drive around to cool your oil between runs even with this cooler. And once you're driving around, you'd have cooled it off without it. Limp mode for the oil temps is over 300F and no timing is pulled before then. Seems like you should be focusing more on your charge coolant and iat2s.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:55 PM
srtz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spearfish25
You'll have to drive around to cool your oil between runs even with this cooler. And once you're driving around, you'd have cooled it off without it. Limp mode for the oil temps is over 300F and no timing is pulled before then. Seems like you should be focusing more on your charge coolant and iat2s.
ya i did those mods first...i already have changed the radiator, fan shroud, heat exchanger, heat exchanger reservoir, thermostat, thermal plates this was the last on the list
Old 10-12-2016, 01:07 PM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

On our testing we did not experience any brake fade or overheating, you will still get air flow to the brakes, but it will just be warmer, however the temp delta is still large between the brake duct air and brakes so cooling will still happen like normal. As far as temps during on track testing, it is posted here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-results.html

Testing was performed on a 700hp Procharged Z06 with a 4.50" vertical front mount intercooler, so this was worst case scenario.
The following users liked this post:
srtz06 (10-12-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To D3 oil cooler any installed yet?

Quick Reply: D3 oil cooler any installed yet?