C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette driver stereotypes, what everyone else thinks of you.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Pobre
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mid 40s here. I love my Vette.. I really don't care what others say.. I do however find it amusing on the freeways and tollways; Every-damn-body wants to race.. Love the young family guy in his Impala or Buick LaCrosse being yelled at by his old lady as he tries to keep up.

Saw this on YouTube the other day. Thought is was kinda funny..

Old 10-12-2016, 03:50 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
No midlife crisis, just love Corvettes

Nice lineup!
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Jack Reynolds
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default Stereotypes

I'm 73 and don't have a Corvette. I do have a t shirt with Corvette Forum printed on the back. You can get the transfers at Office Depot and make your own.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:42 PM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

One thing to note on the stereotypes of the demographic...I can't think of another performance vehicle's owner base who is as infatuated with chrome wheels. Better yet, chrome wheels on a maroon Corvette.

Bets on difference in age of maroon/chrome Corvette owners from the benchmark Corvette average age? I'm gonna say +12.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

It's perception. I have a 10 year old C6 black coupe.
I have friends tell me they wish they could afford it.
They all spent more on their SUV, Cadillac or almost
any other new car. I have been driving low mileage
used Corvettes for over 20 years. With full financing
my average car payment has been $223.00 per month
for over 20 years. I drove my 99 for 12 years.
It's all perception.
Larry
Old 10-12-2016, 07:53 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah, yeah heard all the stereotypes about Corvette owners before, and I agree with all those here who've said they couldn't care less what others think. I love it and so does my wife (well, maybe she doesn't feel as strongly, but she definitely likes it).

And as a bonus, it's an American car, built in America.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:36 PM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am now in my mid-60s, driving a C5 for the last decade. I get accused of being a rich b+++h all the time by strangers, not withstanding the low price of the C5 when I bought it as second owner about a decade ago, and that today a comparable car in VERY nice condition can be had for just under 10 grand. I drive a Corvette because I no longer want to deal with the compromises of driving a smaller and ligher Lotus, as I did in my younger years. No mid life crisis for this old gal. I have driven sports cars since the very beginning. My first car back in the late 60s was a Fiat Spyder, and only a few years after that my second was a Lotus. I have been in quick nimble cars my whole life. My husband is into old big V8 Jeeps, and has been most of his life as well....Neither of us went through any sort of period that required a car as image compensation. We drive what we enjoy, and have our whole lives.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Typical 72 year old Corvette Racer! Errrr driver:

Jim

Last edited by Painrace; 10-12-2016 at 09:29 PM.
AVETTE (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 11:03 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 275 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Jim check out my reply to this on page 2 of this thread

Originally Posted by Painrace
Typical 72 year old Corvette Racer! Errrr driver:

Jim
Old 10-13-2016, 12:03 AM
FastAgain
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ummmm...

Suggested reading: Aesop's Fables - ALL of them.

I drove a 2002 coupe automatic for 4 years, a 2007 Z06 for 6 months, and a 2004 coupe auto for 4 more years, before buying an absolutely MINT 2012 Z06 with 3LZ, last week. The car was kept immaculately, and the interior still smells new. Why did I buy it? Because I have been an automobile enthusiast for my entire life, and designed, and built my first engine at age 18. I know a good return for my money when I see one, and my Z costs a quarter of what my nephew's Ferrari does, yet probably runs just as hard, is a lot easier to insure, less stressful to drive, and infinitely cheaper to fix. And then there's the engine. The first time I put my foot 3/4 of the way down, and those huge 335/30s broke loose at 25 MPH, with the titanium-accented 427 bellowing out a note that could not possibly be defined as anything short of mechanical music, I felt electrified, elated, and just plain euphoric. Involuntarily, I let out a rebel yell at the top of my lungs, because every one of my senses was saying that this was just plain *RIGHT*, both logically, and viscerally.

I had a mid-life crisis several years back, and I doubt any material object could have brought peace to my tortured soul; it took a higher power to do that, much higher than 505 hp. We all buy our cars for reasons which are unique to us, and which carry enough weight to make us decide to part with that much cash. To group us into categories with ridiculous, often offensive titles, and ramifications, is both unnecessary, and demeaning - it's also the mark of blatant ignorance, and of a specific type of bigotry, two traits which are almost always found hand, in hand.

No one has the right to judge why anyone does anything for themselves, and for their own happiness; we are all entitled to our opinions, but the truth is, no one has the right to cast people who are otherwise minding their own business, in a negative, or derisive light, simply because they don't understand another's actions, or motivation for those actions. Driving a Corvette can be a very sensual, almost liberating experience, probably not too different from that experienced by nobles of antiquity, who took out their favorite horse, let it run at full gallop, and relished the feeling of the wind in their hair, the sun on their face, and the feeling of freedom that their fell beast gave them. Such is an outlook most likely shared by many Corvette owners, which probably plays its own small, but unique role in making their lives just a little bit more complete.

Peace.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 AM
ChopperDan64
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Didn't realize my hat doesn't fit. Guess I'll have to look into that.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:02 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

It's funny how you can own Corvettes since you were in your 20s, but when you get to 40-50 years old, it's now a midlife crisis.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:36 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FastAgain
Suggested reading: Aesop's Fables - ALL of them.

I drove a 2002 coupe automatic for 4 years, a 2007 Z06 for 6 months, and a 2004 coupe auto for 4 more years, before buying an absolutely MINT 2012 Z06 with 3LZ, last week. The car was kept immaculately, and the interior still smells new. Why did I buy it? Because I have been an automobile enthusiast for my entire life, and designed, and built my first engine at age 18. I know a good return for my money when I see one, and my Z costs a quarter of what my nephew's Ferrari does, yet probably runs just as hard, is a lot easier to insure, less stressful to drive, and infinitely cheaper to fix. And then there's the engine. The first time I put my foot 3/4 of the way down, and those huge 335/30s broke loose at 25 MPH, with the titanium-accented 427 bellowing out a note that could not possibly be defined as anything short of mechanical music, I felt electrified, elated, and just plain euphoric. Involuntarily, I let out a rebel yell at the top of my lungs, because every one of my senses was saying that this was just plain *RIGHT*, both logically, and viscerally.

I had a mid-life crisis several years back, and I doubt any material object could have brought peace to my tortured soul; it took a higher power to do that, much higher than 505 hp. We all buy our cars for reasons which are unique to us, and which carry enough weight to make us decide to part with that much cash. To group us into categories with ridiculous, often offensive titles, and ramifications, is both unnecessary, and demeaning - it's also the mark of blatant ignorance, and of a specific type of bigotry, two traits which are almost always found hand, in hand.

No one has the right to judge why anyone does anything for themselves, and for their own happiness; we are all entitled to our opinions, but the truth is, no one has the right to cast people who are otherwise minding their own business, in a negative, or derisive light, simply because they don't understand another's actions, or motivation for those actions. Driving a Corvette can be a very sensual, almost liberating experience, probably not too different from that experienced by nobles of antiquity, who took out their favorite horse, let it run at full gallop, and relished the feeling of the wind in their hair, the sun on their face, and the feeling of freedom that their fell beast gave them. Such is an outlook most likely shared by many Corvette owners, which probably plays its own small, but unique role in making their lives just a little bit more complete.

Peace.
Are you a writer or an author?
You should or could be.
I wish I had that much ability to express my feelings.
FastAgain (07-04-2017)
Old 10-13-2016, 02:35 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
One thing to note on the stereotypes of the demographic...I can't think of another performance vehicle's owner base who is as infatuated with chrome wheels. Better yet, chrome wheels on a maroon Corvette.

Bets on difference in age of maroon/chrome Corvette owners from the benchmark Corvette average age? I'm gonna say +12.
REALLY?
You want to criticize guys who have liked the fad (that only recently changed) of Chrome Wheels....a fad which dates back to the WW2?

Originally Posted by ZMan64
And as a bonus, it's an American car, built in America.
REAL Patriots are hard to find, my friend...
Old 10-13-2016, 02:45 AM
Lenman59
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default On my 4th Vette, I was 21 when I first wrapped my a$$ in fiberglass

Fit the stereotype now but all those years I was driving my other Vettes? I have loved them since the day I first saw one and am glad to be a life long fan and owner. Most people with these opinions don't own sports cars. Most other real sports cars don't have the sales volume. Some people have to insult others who have things they either can't afford or don't understand. Rock on my Vette loving friends

Last edited by Lenman59; 10-13-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:29 AM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I think the division between Corvette owners and the younger guys is a question of $$$ more than anything else.
I constantly get kids asking about and drooling over my car.
Sometimes I'll suggest they "go get one."
The answer is ALWAYS "don't have the money."
It isn't that the Vette isn't desired, it's because it isn't affordable for them.

I doubt it.

I agree, It absolutely is. As it is for P car, F car, you name expensive car...Not that young people can't afford expensive cars, just that the percentage of people who can afford such cars increases as they get older and save money. Like many here, I bought my first 'Vette when I was in my twenties, and continue to drive them because I love Corvette and have a soft spot for American sports cars.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:02 AM
Jbster
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stripeknight
Interesting Article

Driver Description per this writer:

"The typical Corvette driver is a male somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-70 years old, and 8 out of 10 times you will see them wearing a hat that does not fit them well. This car is driven by older men because as children they always admired the Corvette, back when it was still cool to drive. Now that they have some money and are likely going through a mid-life crisis they decided it was a good time to live their dream. The harsh truth is that Corvettes area poor man’s Ferrari. With a rather low MSRP of around $49,500, the Corvette has been corrupted by old men that just want to have a fast cool looking sports car and have lost touch with what the best cars are these days. These are all of the people you will see driving the Chevrolet Corvette:

Old men who want to fulfill their boyhood dreams
Middle age men having a mid-life crisis and either can not afford a Jaguar, Ferrari, or Poersche, or they have lost touch with what is cool
Young guys ages 30-40 who buy the Z06 model and are actually pretty normal
Older women ages 50-70 who buy the car in white or red because Barbie drove it"
Weird website is weird and if I couldn't even spell Porsche right, I'd keep my pie hole shut.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette driver stereotypes, what everyone else thinks of you.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

I just try to drive like an adult, be courteous to other drivers, and enjoy when people have questions or something nice to say about the car. I brightens the day a bit.

I do see a lot of older men in Corvettes (I'm 61 and have owned at least one since I was 22). Most drive pretty responsibly, although there is always the occasional Hey Look At Me guy (its almost always a guy) who has to burn rubber leaving a stoplight. Nothing says "I'm Immature and Insecure" quite like bad driving of a hot attention getting car. Thankfully those are fairly few and far between these days.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I sometimes wonder what will happen to the corvette when the baby boomer generation becomes too old to drive. What will be the demand for corvettes then? I was born in the early eighties and while most of my friends don't have ill sentiments about the Corvette, and most think it looks good, they have zero aspirations to own one. Make no mistake about it, 80% of the demand (at least) is coming from baby boomers who grew up in love with these cars. This is the reason, in my opinion, why GM is making so many changes with the vette. It will go rear mid-engine. No question about it in my mind. Base car engine will ultimately be a high revving Twin Turbo of some sort.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:48 AM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I sometimes wonder what will happen to the corvette when the baby boomer generation becomes too old to drive. What will be the demand for corvettes then? I was born in the early eighties and while most of my friends don't have ill sentiments about the Corvette, and most think it looks good, they have zero aspirations to own one. Make no mistake about it, 80% of the demand (at least) is coming from baby boomers who grew up in love with these cars. This is the reason, in my opinion, why GM is making so many changes with the vette. It will go rear mid-engine. No question about it in my mind. Base car engine will ultimately be a high revving Twin Turbo of some sort.
The Corvette isn't going away anytime in the foreseeable future.

Your entire statement is oversimplified, based on personal experience and opinion, and paints an incomplete/slanted view. True, the typical Corvette buyer is a baby boomer (those born between 1946-1964), making up a large percentage of owners however, 80% seems a bit high. Do you have verifiable data to back up that claim? Based on another thread here; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nder-40-a.html it appears that estimate may be overstated. Also, your assertion that GM is making changes solely to appeal to younger buyers is flat wrong. GM, like every other auto maker, has to appeal to ALL consumers. Smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient engines are the wave of the future for all vehicles, not just sports cars.

Last edited by ZMan64; 10-13-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Corvette driver stereotypes, what everyone else thinks of you.