C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:39 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Lord, I get tired of these mine is bigger/better than yours posts.

Last edited by pkincy; 10-18-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

You made an excellent decision to keep the Z. You would have been second guessing yourself to death. You do own the apex Corvette, there is no other substitute.
Its not a case of saying mine is bigger than yours. Its a FACT!

Last edited by VictorBarron; 10-18-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:25 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
You made an excellent decision to keep the Z. You would have been second guessing yourself to death. You do own the apex Corvette, there is no other substitute.
Its not a case of saying mine is bigger than yours. Its a FACT!

Until the "bigger" one in all the spy photos comes out. Rinse, repeat...
The following users liked this post:
VictorBarron (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:12 PM
skipperC7
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You made a fine decision, but I would have been happy for you either way. Oh, and that is one badass vehicle to be stuck with!!!! Gorgeous!!!
Old 10-19-2016, 10:01 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
DECISION MADE!!!!!!! Keep the Z!!!

We go home, look at our black Z in the garage under the florescent lights, it has orange peel but nothing like the 17s we looked at. Talked to my detailer and he tells me its a crap shoot. Sees some with less and more orange then others. So I will not trade a 16 Z with acceptable, to me peel for the risk of an Admiral Blue that is awful. That's my decision and biggest hurdle.

So I am stuck with this!!!!!!!!!

I have an appointment to get educated on professional detailing today. We'll see what GM can come out with in 18.
Nice looking car. I love BLACK but hate the cleaning. I went light on my Z06 because of it. When clean BLACK is the best color but it is never clean.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
First congrats on the new GS. I am sure it is a looker.

You should have drove a Z06 too.

So food for thought and a little math. I used google to pull weights and used the lowest weight for each car to make a fair comparison.

I had a 2013 ZL1. The car weighed 4150 lbs and made 600 hp. (Intake) This equaled 6.91 lbs per HP.

Your 2015 ZL1 was 39xx so best case 3900 lbs and made 650 hp. This is 6 lbs per HP. Keep in mind the performance difference that .91 lbs per HP made in your car as you read on.

Your GS best case weighs 3428 lbs and makes 460 hp. This is 7.4 lbs per HP = slower than both cars above.

A base Stingray is 3298 lbs and makes 460 hp. This is 7.1 lbs per HP. (Very close to a stock ZL1 at 4150 with 580 = 7.1 Which lines up nicely with GMs numbers for the two cars.)

A bone stock Z06 is 3524 lbs and makes 650 hp. This is 5.4 lbs per HP and is a major jump in performance over all four cars. (This was my main reason for choosing this car as to equal the performance my ZL1 would need 770 hp which is possible but really modded to get parity to a STOCK Z06.)

You mod to 500 hp (voided warranty) you will be 6.8 lbs per HP so still a ton less power to weight than a stock Z06 with a warranty. To get to equality many say add a supercharger.... which adds weight and really voids the warranty. Before you mod a GS I would strongly consider going to a Z06. If you are going to keep stock then enjoy as it is a great car just be aware raw acceleration will not be the strong suit of the car.

An aero 2 GS is going to be very slow up high. People complain that the Z06 suffers due to drag. A GS is going to be a pig accelerating at high speed with the same aero but 190 hp less. I really feel sorry for those that retrofit Aero 3 to a GS as the 60+ mph acceleration will be brutally slow but it will go through a turn like it is on rails. You cannot cheat physics and downforce equals drag and the widebody corvette makes some good downforce.

BACK to the OP. This is way I would never trade a Z06 in for a GS. It is a downgrade. The GS is a great car but with the extra drag that the widebody cars have the 190 hp makes a big difference. Now if I did not own a Z06 I would consider a GS depending on the price. With discounts I paid less for my 2016 Z06 than an identical 2017 GS which currently does not have the discounts that my Z06 did. (Knowing I would not track the heat issue is not a factor for me. It ran flawless through the FL summer heat. As that is the only negative it was a simple choice.)
Based on your logic, I think you'd be best suited to a Hellcat since acceleration is your only metric for performance.

I track my car so I appreciate a light car with massive grip and a great suspension. Bonus points for no heat soak on the supercharger

Besides, power is not the only factor. Your math is forgetting grip and drag, both of which the GS does better than the ZL1, both factoring into better acceleration.

Last but not least, I like my GS better than my ZL1 and that's what matters.

As for GS vs Z06, I was tired of supercharger problems and N/A sounded very appealing - that was it, I don't regret my decision.

EDIT: It just occurred to me: For street or drag I'd probably take a Z06 over a GS, but for track I'd choose a GS Z07 over a Z06 (non-Z07) if money were a factor.

Last edited by angryBits; 10-19-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:28 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
First congrats on the new GS. I am sure it is a looker.

You should have drove a Z06 too.

So food for thought and a little math. I used google to pull weights and used the lowest weight for each car to make a fair comparison.

I had a 2013 ZL1. The car weighed 4150 lbs and made 600 hp. (Intake) This equaled 6.91 lbs per HP.

Your 2015 ZL1 was 39xx so best case 3900 lbs and made 650 hp. This is 6 lbs per HP. Keep in mind the performance difference that .91 lbs per HP made in your car as you read on.

Your GS best case weighs 3428 lbs and makes 460 hp. This is 7.4 lbs per HP = slower than both cars above.

A base Stingray is 3298 lbs and makes 460 hp. This is 7.1 lbs per HP. (Very close to a stock ZL1 at 4150 with 580 = 7.1 Which lines up nicely with GMs numbers for the two cars.)

A bone stock Z06 is 3524 lbs and makes 650 hp. This is 5.4 lbs per HP and is a major jump in performance over all four cars. (This was my main reason for choosing this car as to equal the performance my ZL1 would need 770 hp which is possible but really modded to get parity to a STOCK Z06.)

You mod to 500 hp (voided warranty) you will be 6.8 lbs per HP so still a ton less power to weight than a stock Z06 with a warranty. To get to equality many say add a supercharger.... which adds weight and really voids the warranty. Before you mod a GS I would strongly consider going to a Z06. If you are going to keep stock then enjoy as it is a great car just be aware raw acceleration will not be the strong suit of the car.

An aero 2 GS is going to be very slow up high. People complain that the Z06 suffers due to drag. A GS is going to be a pig accelerating at high speed with the same aero but 190 hp less. I really feel sorry for those that retrofit Aero 3 to a GS as the 60+ mph acceleration will be brutally slow but it will go through a turn like it is on rails. You cannot cheat physics and downforce equals drag and the widebody corvette makes some good downforce.

BACK to the OP. This is way I would never trade a Z06 in for a GS. It is a downgrade. The GS is a great car but with the extra drag that the widebody cars have the 190 hp makes a big difference. Now if I did not own a Z06 I would consider a GS depending on the price. With discounts I paid less for my 2016 Z06 than an identical 2017 GS which currently does not have the discounts that my Z06 did. (Knowing I would not track the heat issue is not a factor for me. It ran flawless through the FL summer heat. As that is the only negative it was a simple choice.)
Then you would hard pressed to get a better mill than the LT4.
More power less noisey than the Lt1.
Plus the Lt4 is badass with just intake, tune and headers set me
over 750 hp (635 rwhp) under the hood and it was just over 4,000.00
nothing when you can spend 35,000 in mods that don't really bring dittles on resale.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:40 AM
speedmon
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

As always I think it depends on an individual's requirements for the car.
I have a GS because for me the #1 attribute of a track car is reliability.
The Z06 may have reliability for street cruising, drag racing and airstrip racing but it does not have it for the roadcourse....easy decision for me.

If my driving "requirements" were focused on street/drag/airstrip, I would've bought a Z06 and it would probably do well in those environments.

And if I need more power for the track, which can only really be used on the straights anyway, I'll have lingenfelter slam in a 650hp 417 and get a 3 year warranty to cover the risk.....its like $17K.

So I paid 61K for my GS +$17K for a new upgraded engine=$78K. That is still less a new Z06 and wouldn't have the issues that are COMMON with supercharged vehicles. You can see I've already rationalized it in my mind.

When they go mid engine I hope they learn from the past and produce a twin turbo 900hp AWD C8(with a 2WD switch, so I could do burnouts). I would buy that in a heartbeat! I think that car would kill it in all four environments and all the supercars would be chasing GM.

Last edited by speedmon; 10-20-2016 at 12:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by speedmon:
angryBits (10-20-2016), PRE-Z06 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:03 AM
angryBits
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Friendly guy
"Apex" predator? The GS? No. No more than a Stingray.
What? You need to do some research.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p-2016-feature

Consistently here I see people attempting to equate the GS with the Z06.
In a straight line, the GS is similar to a Z51.
On the road course, the GS is similar to a Z06.

The GS is designed to look like the Z06 except for those silly "hash marks" that are, IMO, right out of high school.
They're optional.

Last edited by angryBits; 10-20-2016 at 02:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (10-20-2016)

Quick Reply: Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?