Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #1  
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 5,208
Thanked 244 Times in 187 Posts
Default Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?

I don't know why I even stop at a dealer but I am eying a new GS and trading my 16 Z in on it. Z was 91K and I picked it up for 83. Looks like at 8K miles I can get $75K IF I put on new tires. Unfortunately a front tire is showing the threads on the inside, I just did not catch the wear.

I'm thinking loosing 8K with all the discounts going on is decent. GS is MSRP around 73.

I know the GS is 200 HP short of the Z but to be honest I wont use the 450HP with the GS and I run a few track days a year. 650 is way more than I need in my daily commute. Z is black and I just am tired of fighting it to keep it clean.

I had a 14 Z51 and it was a fun car. I think the GS for me will be a nice balance. Z looks with less mechanical complications.

Glad I had the Z but it will never be worth more money than it is today.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 10-11-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Greg00Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #2  
spearfish25
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 2,894
Thanked 572 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Glad I had the Z but it will never be worth more money than it is today.
Neither will the grand sport. Why would you trade down at a cost to yourself? Makes no sense to me. If you hate the black color, spend some money on a wrap instead.
spearfish25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spearfish25 For This Useful Post:
Stephen Boren (10-14-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #3  
TRANS DAMM
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 1,296
Thanked 120 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Seems like a "grass is always greener" scenario. No way would I trade backwards. Like the other poster said get it wrapped or get it paint corrected and paint protection over it.
TRANS DAMM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRANS DAMM For This Useful Post:
OLD_GOAT (10-14-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #4  
ChrisN123
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 263
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I want a "Grand Sport" button on the Z06 that limits and smoothes out the power and doesn't overheat. Not joking.
ChrisN123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #5  
Doc750
CF Senior Member
 
Doc750's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 1,440
Thanked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Default

wrap your current Z and rip out the s/c = new GS.
Doc750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #6  
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member
 
16/C7Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,187
Thanked 809 Times in 644 Posts
Default

sorry, this is nuts. I passed up on a GS with tons of options to "squeak" into a 1LZ. In the hierarchy the Z is the top until the ZR shows up. it's a supercar. the GS is nice but it's a Z WITH LESS POWER. just don't put your foot down so far lol save your money.
16/C7Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 16/C7Z For This Useful Post:
MHFontaine (10-13-2016), OLD_GOAT (10-14-2016), Z06NJ (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #7  
VictorBarron
CF Senior Member
 
VictorBarron's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2003
Location: Millstadt Illinois
Posts: 1,434
Thanked 273 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Let's face it the GS is a PRETENDER. How anyone could take a step backwards is beyond me. The Z is the apex predator in the C7 lineup.

VictorBarron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VictorBarron For This Useful Post:
OLD_GOAT (10-14-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #8  
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
3 Z06ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: salem OR
Posts: 18,253
Thanked 595 Times in 489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe View Post
I don't know why I even stop at a dealer but I am eying a new GS and trading my 16 Z in on it. Z was 91K and I picked it up for 83. Looks like at 8K miles I can get $75K IF I put on new tires. Unfortunately a front tire is showing the threads on the inside, I just did not catch the wear.

I'm thinking loosing 8K with all the discounts going on is decent. GS is MSRP around 73.

I know the GS is 200 HP short of the Z but to be honest I wont use the 450HP with the GS and I run a few track days a year. 650 is way more than I need in my daily commute. Z is black and I just am tired of fighting it to keep it clean.

I had a 14 Z51 and it was a fun car. I think the GS for me will be a nice balance. Z looks with less mechanical complications.

Glad I had the Z but it will never be worth more money than it is today.
Tossing money out the window all for a lessor car. Get your black car detailed and coated. Black can become much easier!
3 Z06ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #9  
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
3 Z06ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: salem OR
Posts: 18,253
Thanked 595 Times in 489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN123 View Post
I want a "Grand Sport" button on the Z06 that limits and smoothes out the power and doesn't overheat. Not joking.
Go easy on the gas is the answer. Grand sport button ?
Too much power? HUMBUG!
3 Z06ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3 Z06ZR1 For This Useful Post:
OLD_GOAT (10-14-2016), Z06NJ (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:27 AM   #10  
Mordeth
CF Senior Member
 
Mordeth's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,912
Thanked 749 Times in 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17
Default

Hey Greg. Not sure if you are soliciting opinions or not. The best answer is to do what makes you happy. I have two Z06s, but I love all Corvettes, and the GS is a real looker. I was in a showroom the other day with a friend who was in the process of buying a used C6 and there was about 10 new GS cars all lined up. It was a stunning display and very impressive. The GS is an awesome car and anyone who owns one should be proud of it...I know I would.

If it makes you happy, then go for it brother! This is a very personal decision of yours, and what others say here (including me) isn't of much value. But for what it is worth, I would never keep a car I wasn't happy with...."downgrade" or otherwise. I do however think most here in the Z06 forum would not do what you are contemplating, as the Z06 is a purpose built and purpose bought car. I know I wouldn't do it, as I do care about what is under the hood...but that doesn't mean you should or need to.

On a side note, I never understood why anyone would put down any Corvette. I love them all. I have a very close friend who could never afford a Z06, but he just recently bought a base model C6 1LT. He has lusted after a Corvette for many years and I sometimes feel bad because I always have Corvettes in my garage. He works hard and literally saved every penny for 5 years just to afford an "older" model base C6. He actually started bringing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work just to save $5/day on lunch! He is so proud and happy with the "little" LS2. He knows it isn't a Z06, just like a GS owner knows theirs isn't either. People are not dumb animals. They buy what they can afford and what suits their purpose. My friend was embarrassed to line his car up against one of mine, but I lavished it with honest praise and admiration. It is a beautiful piece of work and I told him I loved it, to never sell it (or at least give me first dibs) and to bring it over every chance he gets so I can look at it. I even begged him to drive it. He asked me "Why would you want to drive my lowly base C6 when you have two 700hp Z06s?" I told him his car was more docile, has a super clean, honest look and that I was a tad jealous of it, so please let me drive it or at least sit in the driver seat!!! It was the truth. He was so proud and happy.

If you do this, you are not "downgrading", and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The GS is a fine automobile and perhaps suits your needs better. Plus, if it makes you happy (for now), and you can afford it, then why the hell not? And if money is no object (or at least this won't break the bank), then why would anyone not get what they want? I personally would love to see pics of your current car, and if you trade for the GS please do post pics of that one too!

You can't go wrong either way!
Mordeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Mordeth For This Useful Post:
2014C7 (10-12-2016), AaronZ51 (10-14-2016), ajrothm (10-16-2016), arturox2 (10-17-2016), Bad Dad (10-20-2016), Gator113 (10-16-2016), gpuglisi (10-14-2016), Hamirvette (10-12-2016), IMXCITD (10-16-2016), Les (10-14-2016), MassGT (10-12-2016), MTPZ06 (10-12-2016), Pinmaniac (11-11-2016), PRE-Z06 (10-15-2016), RJ111 (10-12-2016), robertbruce (10-14-2016), sam90lx (10-12-2016), Suns_PSD (10-14-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #11  
ChrisN123
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 263
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post
Go easy on the gas is the answer. Grand sport button ?
Too much power? HUMBUG!
I didn't say i would press it all the time!
ChrisN123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisN123 For This Useful Post:
SgtRod (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #12  
skipperC7
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Posts: 177
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordeth View Post
Hey Greg. Not sure if you are soliciting opinions or not. The best answer is to do what makes you happy. I have two Z06s, but I love all Corvettes, and the GS is a real looker. I was in a showroom the other day with a friend who was in the process of buying a used C6 and there was about 10 new GS cars all lined up. It was a stunning display and very impressive. The GS is an awesome car and anyone who owns one should be proud of it...I know I would.

If it makes you happy, then go for it brother! This is a very personal decision of yours, and what others say here (including me) isn't of much value. But for what it is worth, I would never keep a car I wasn't happy with...."downgrade" or otherwise. I do however think most here in the Z06 forum would not do what you are contemplating, as the Z06 is a purpose built and purpose bought car. I know I wouldn't do it, as I do care about what is under the hood...but that doesn't mean you should or need to.

On a side note, I never understood why anyone would put down any Corvette. I love them all. I have a very close friend who could never afford a Z06, but he just recently bought a base model C6 1LT. He has lusted after a Corvette for many years and I sometimes feel bad because I always have Corvettes in my garage. He works hard and literally saved every penny for 5 years just to afford an "older" model base C6. He actually started bringing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work just to save $5/day on lunch! He is so proud and happy with the "little" LS2. He knows it isn't a Z06, just like a GS owner knows theirs isn't either. People are not dumb animals. They buy what they can afford and what suits their purpose. My friend was embarrassed to line his car up against one of mine, but I lavished it with honest praise and admiration. It is a beautiful piece of work and I told him I loved it, to never sell it (or at least give me first dibs) and to bring it over every chance he gets so I can look at it. I even begged him to drive it. He asked me "Why would you want to drive my lowly base C6 when you have two 700hp Z06s?" I told him his car was more docile, has a super clean, honest look and that I was a tad jealous of it, so please let me drive it or at least sit in the driver seat!!! It was the truth. He was so proud and happy.

If you do this, you are not "downgrading", and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The GS is a fine automobile and perhaps suits your needs better. Plus, if it makes you happy (for now), and you can afford it, then why the hell not? And if money is no object (or at least this won't break the bank), then why would anyone not get what they want? I personally would love to see pics of your current car, and if you trade for the GS please do post pics of that one too!

You can't go wrong either way!
Very nice post and outlook! I share your sentiment!

Get what makes you, and YOU ALONE happy.
skipperC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:37 AM   #13  
angryBits
CF Senior Member
 
angryBits's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 192
Thanked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBarron View Post
Let's face it the GS is a PRETENDER. How anyone could take a step backwards is beyond me. The Z is the apex predator in the C7 lineup.

This is old information carried over from the C6 Grand Sport.

The C7 Grand Sport is every bit an Apex Predator as the Z06, read this: 2017 Grand Sport

So lets not call the GS a Pretender/Fake/Wannabe Z06, its not.
The GS is an NA Z06

It has all the suspension bits, brakes, tires, chassis, everything.
And for some of us, lighter and no supercharger quirks.
(I live in CA where we only get 91 octane and superchargers choke)

angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:51 AM   #14  
Stripeknight
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 188
Thanked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Default



Lose money for an inferior vehicle....

This has got to be a troll thread...

Last edited by Stripeknight; 10-12-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Stripeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stripeknight For This Useful Post:
OLD_GOAT (10-14-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #15  
2014C7
CF Senior Member
 
2014C7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 533
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Mordeth for the truth.

Spoken like a sophisticated car person.

All the way the GS is awesome.

I also recently became very lustful for a 13 427 Vert my friend is considering.

What a beautiful C6

And like you I asked him if he bought one could I have first dibs!

Haha the car habit is a disease, but I love it.

That 427 has me drooling now.
2014C7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #16  
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 5,208
Thanked 244 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordeth View Post
Hey Greg. Not sure if you are soliciting opinions or not. The best answer is to do what makes you happy. I have two Z06s, but I love all Corvettes, and the GS is a real looker. I was in a showroom the other day with a friend who was in the process of buying a used C6 and there was about 10 new GS cars all lined up. It was a stunning display and very impressive. The GS is an awesome car and anyone who owns one should be proud of it...I know I would.

If it makes you happy, then go for it brother! This is a very personal decision of yours, and what others say here (including me) isn't of much value. But for what it is worth, I would never keep a car I wasn't happy with...."downgrade" or otherwise. I do however think most here in the Z06 forum would not do what you are contemplating, as the Z06 is a purpose built and purpose bought car. I know I wouldn't do it, as I do care about what is under the hood...but that doesn't mean you should or need to.

On a side note, I never understood why anyone would put down any Corvette. I love them all. I have a very close friend who could never afford a Z06, but he just recently bought a base model C6 1LT. He has lusted after a Corvette for many years and I sometimes feel bad because I always have Corvettes in my garage. He works hard and literally saved every penny for 5 years just to afford an "older" model base C6. He actually started bringing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work just to save $5/day on lunch! He is so proud and happy with the "little" LS2. He knows it isn't a Z06, just like a GS owner knows theirs isn't either. People are not dumb animals. They buy what they can afford and what suits their purpose. My friend was embarrassed to line his car up against one of mine, but I lavished it with honest praise and admiration. It is a beautiful piece of work and I told him I loved it, to never sell it (or at least give me first dibs) and to bring it over every chance he gets so I can look at it. I even begged him to drive it. He asked me "Why would you want to drive my lowly base C6 when you have two 700hp Z06s?" I told him his car was more docile, has a super clean, honest look and that I was a tad jealous of it, so please let me drive it or at least sit in the driver seat!!! It was the truth. He was so proud and happy.

If you do this, you are not "downgrading", and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The GS is a fine automobile and perhaps suits your needs better. Plus, if it makes you happy (for now), and you can afford it, then why the hell not? And if money is no object (or at least this won't break the bank), then why would anyone not get what they want? I personally would love to see pics of your current car, and if you trade for the GS please do post pics of that one too!

You can't go wrong either way!
Thanks!!! Excellent post!! Appreciate the time and thought you put into it. Frankly I can't really explain it. Best I can say is I got a 16 and the 17s are out and I dont need all this HP. Each to their own for sure but I saw the admiral blue and fell for it and I know Zs come in that color too.

I've said in other posts before..... The Z is for sure faster then a stingray on the track but the stingray is a blast on the track too! How fast do I need to go? I limit my top end speed anyway.. it would be no fun to have an incident at 150 160..... and if you are not on the track there is just no public street you can exercise these cars.

Not to step on any toes but to me it comes down to ego and I got one because if I did not I'd be driving a Cruze. Its just how much ones ego costs them!!! When you go to a car show and your car is parked there what does HP mean when there are a variety of Corvettes there?

And this is not a problem......... a billion people dont have water to drink in the world and this is my challenge for this week! I need to go slap myself.........pinching leaves marks!!! Thanks for the opinions. Did not think of the wrap.
Greg00Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #17  
funz06
CF Senior Member
 
funz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: Needham MA
Posts: 1,366
Thanked 102 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Mordeth,

One of the best posts I have ever read. Your neighbor has a great friend in you.

2014C7,

The 2013 427 is a great car---traded in a yellow one for my Z06. Loved that car---wish I had the money to keep it. Only about 2550 made, and about 90 in yellow. I honestly believe they will become collector's cars-------60th anniversary car; limited production; last of the C6's; the 1st corvette convertible with 500+ horse power; the largest naturally aspirated engine (505 hp) convertible corvette may ever make.............plus, it is just one great car---best of the C6 convertibles.

Gregg---OP,

Mordeth said it all, and better than most could. Best of luck whichever way you go...........a friend just got a black C7 wrapped with Xpel----it does look good!
funz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #18  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Location: Secaucus NJ
Posts: 2,079
Thanked 133 Times in 112 Posts
Default

I almost bought the GS but i'm actually glad it didn't work out for me.

The GS is awesome, it's like a blue belt in karate. Still good, still can perform, it's just not at the elite level where as the Z is of course the black belt.

Since you had the Z, you're commenting from a different perspective and i applaud you for making the decision.

I know most guys who get the Z will never bring the potential out of the car. They probably won't ever see a track. And you'd be right. I won't ever track my Z, i bought it to have fun with it on the street, on the occasional drive on the weekends etc.

But i knew if i have gotten the GS i would be disappointed just for the mere fact it's a lot slower. If you're street driving the car a lot, trust me you want that power. If you're gonna track the car then yes the GS would probably be better.

And yes black is the worst color lol. I had a black altima before and that was my last black car, 10 years ago.

The C7 looks amazing in white. I love my AW Z.
RobGZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGZ06 For This Useful Post:
16/C7Z (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #19  
pkincy
CF Senior Member
 
pkincy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 3,449
Thanked 360 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Frankly, if you are just commuting in the car, the GS likely would be a better car. Same chassis, motor should be more reliable given the lack of supercharger, slightly lighter, less explosive power but still more power than any sane person ever needs. So get the Admiral Blue GS. With White Stripe? I certainly like them and the wheels are easier to clean.

My 01 Z was black. My 05 M3 was black. Never ever again!

Last edited by pkincy; 10-12-2016 at 09:03 AM.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #20  
z06clif
CF Senior Member
 
z06clif's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Sinai NY
Posts: 3,867
Thanked 113 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Neither will the grand sport. Why would you trade down at a cost to yourself? Makes no sense to me. If you hate the black color, spend some money on a wrap instead.
makes sense to me

Clif
z06clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Z06 pricing after ZR1 Borntorun04/17 C7 Z06 Discussion 55 09-14-2017 07:58 PM
    GS or no GS C5Darwon C7 General Discussion 54 07-20-2017 05:35 PM
    GS new owner review compared to my 991.1 GT3 montoya C7 General Discussion 38 05-20-2017 10:24 AM
    Z51 vs GS? What should I get? C7fasttoy C7 General Discussion 101 09-29-2016 10:51 PM
    So if the 2017 GS doest get a HP bump, will my Z51 C7 be faster? Always Red Dave C7 General Discussion 88 08-01-2016 10:28 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: